Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates

Need input on my WD PvM/PvP build

Discussion in 'Witch Doctor' started by KriegMarshal, May 1, 2012. | Replies: 6 | Views: 1212

1. KriegMarshal

KriegMarshal IncGamers Member

Need input on my WD PvM/PvP build

My only experience with D3 so far is the open beta weekend a couple of weeks ago. In a way I wish I hadn't played, because it is making May 15th take that much longer for me to get my D3 fix.

The minute I heard about D3 a few years ago and I saw the WD, I knew that it was the first and main class I'll play. Since playing the open beta I've been researching builds.

I've tried to synergize each skill and spread out elemental damage types knowing from D1 and D2 that at Nightmare, Hell levels that there will be elemental resist bosses and mobs. I also have never been a huge summoning pet fan, but I realize that a class like this needs defense from some pets, so I'm not ignoring extra pets.

So here is my PvM build:

PvM

and here is my PvP build:

PvP

I would love any input for one or both of the builds. I am mainly going on what my limited experience has been in open beta.

Thanks in advance
  2. Zoltar

Zoltar IncGamers Member

Re: Need input on my WD PvM/PvP build

Not sure if it's some kind of error or you just left them out, but you don't have passives and runes for your skills. The runes are about as important as the skills themselves.

Also, from what I hear resistances aren't going to be as big of a deal as they were in diablo 2. Your pvm build just doesn't seem very viable. You should never take spirit barrage and poison dart (perhaps with the exception of SB with one of the glyphs that changes it's basic function such as Phantasm/Manitou). They are just too similar and only differ in damage type. With only 6 abilities to choose, you have to choose them carefully and try not to overlap function too much.

If you're going for an all around build, you want variety in your skills. You need single target and AOE damage as well as a mix of defensive and utility spells. Try to find things that syngerise well. You seem to be interested in a petless build, so check this one out

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#egkSUd!bWV!YZaaZZ

This build should be able to put out good damage with Haunt, Spirit Barrage, and Locust Swarm. It does have a good mix of damage types as well, although as I said that may not be as important as in the previous games. Even though you have three attacks here, two of them are DoT attacks, which is good since you can stack them. You don't want multiple direct damage abilites that you have to spam. You will dot everything up with haunt and Locust Swarm, then supplement that with spirit barrage.

You also get some defensive capabilities with Zombie Wall and Spirit Walk. Glyphing haunt to prove the snare is also key because Zombie Wall has a decent cooldown (25 sec). I'm not entirely sure, but I am hoping that you can spirit walk through your zombie wall. That's the kind of thing I was talking about with looking for synergies, i.e. abilities that work well together. [edit: nevermind, just watched a video and you can walk through ZW without spirit walk]

Another synergy is the Honored Guest glyph for Spirit Walk working with Spiritual Attunement. SA increases your mana pool by 20% and honored guest restores a percentage of your total mana. So SA actually increases your mana gains from spirit walking by 20%.

I've heard that Soul Harvest gives a massive damage increase, so I included it. But if you wanted another defensive option, you could drop it for mass confuse or horrify.
    Last edited: May 1, 2012
  3. KriegMarshal

thank you very much for your input, it makes alot of sense. I really like the build. I've gone back and forth about wanting the pets.

My question is, it seems I was only able to select certain abilities the limited time I was in beta. At max level will you have access to all abilities or will you have to select a certain set of abilities and that is it? Because I wanted to be able to switch things out if needed or have a pvp setup and pve setup

What would a good PvE build be using pets?
  4. Dnttryme

Dnttryme Banned

For the PvP build you are going to get wrecked by melee. You dont have a single defensive ability to escape from melee with that build.

It is still a bit early for PvP builds since Blizz has said that skills will be toned down for PvP balancing (shorter stuns and things like that).
  5. Zoltar

Zoltar IncGamers Member

Yes, at level 60 you can pick any 6 abilities. You might not have been able to do that in the beta because you didn't enable elective mode.

You can change your spec at any time, but there is a small cooldown on changing it. In addition, changing your spec will get rid of your valor buff. Valor comes from killing elites and increases your chance of getting high quality drops from bosses. So you will want to try to use the same spec for a game session, but you can freely change it depending on what you are doing (solo vs grp, pve vs pvp, etc).

6. KriegMarshal

Where was enable elective mode? I don't remember seeing anything like that in the options, but honestly I was so busy focusing on the game play I could have missed anything.

7. Zoltar

Zoltar IncGamers Member

I forget exactly. It was in the options menu somewhere.