Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Need help with PC build!

Discussion in 'Tech Support for Diablo 3, Battle.Net & Systems' started by mephistos uncle greg, Apr 3, 2012. | Replies: 22 | Views: 1174

1. mephistos uncle greg

mephistos uncle greg IncGamers Member

Need help with PC build!

Ok so heres the deal, I recently ordered all my parts on newegg, was all set with what I ordered, and ready to build my first gaming PC(with the help of someone who knows what they're doing). I ordered everything, the only thing that went through was the Corsair Carbide 400r mid-tower gaming case, which is now being shipped. Everything else was on a seperate sub-total, there was a problem with my credit card so I cancelled the order. I'm now considering lowering some of my specs, the total was around $1700 and I'm starting to think there might be some parts I can have changed or get rid of to lower the overall price of my build, and still achieve my ultimate goal of running Diablo 3 at a constant 60 fps in 1920x1080 resolution. Here's where you come in D3 community. If there is anyone out there who has any ideas or recommendations, I would greatly appreciate the help. Thanks in advance!

Here's what I got in my cart so far

CPU: Intel® Core™ i5-2550K 3.40 GHz
    MBD: GigaByte Z68X-UD3H-B3
    HSF: Thermaltake Frio Overclocking-Ready Intel
    RAM: 8GB (4GBx2) DDR3/1600MHz Corsair Vengeance
    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570 1.2GB
    SSD: Crucial M4 CT128M4SSD2 2.5" 128GB SATA III
    HDD: Western Digital Caviar Green WD20EARX 2TB SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5"
    OPT: ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS - OEM
    PWR: Corsair Professional Series CMPSU-AX750 Gold 80 Plus
    FAN: (2) Antec 761345-75026-4 120mm Red LED Case Fan
    MON: ASUS VH232H Black 23in Widescreen 1080p
    MS7: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit
    CSP: Logitech Z523 40 Watts RMS Speaker System

2. Buu

Buu IncGamers Member

Re: Need help with PC build!

If all you need is to play D3 (and no other intense games), you probably don't need to spend more than $900 (depending on what you already have). Depending on your other computer activities, the following suggestions may change.

i5 2500 is the best bang for the buck in terms of a gaming CPU at the moment. Since you don't seem to play other games, an i3 2100 or i5 2400 would also work well. (I have an i5-2400). I'd only get the i5-2500k/2550k (as opposed to the ones without the 'k') if you are planning on overclocking. If you have plans (or want the option) to play future games, go with the i5-2500.

Seems solid if you stick with the i5 cpu. Check the H67 series if you go i3.
    Unneeded unless you are overclocking. If you are OC'ing, check out this.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103065
    Seems good with current MoBo
    Seems alright with me. I've only researched the AMD line.
    Do you need this much storage? Is the SSD a bootdrive, or is it for SSD caching? If it's just a boot drive, you can make due with a ~64GB. Dunno much about SSD caching.
    the rest looks pretty good.

The rest looks okay

3. Brokenstorm

Brokenstorm IncGamers Member

Your GPU is overkill for D3, if you really want to reduce the price start with that.
    You could easily max D3 with a 560 or a 560Ti
    I can run the beta flawlessly @1200p with a 4890.

4. Tilitoon

Tilitoon IncGamers Member

Pretty much all your parts are good, it's just a bit overkill if you are planning on playing D3 only and no other modern games, but... it seems you really want "constant 60 fps in 1920x1080" in which case, yea I can't garantee it would dever drop below 60fps with something below a GTX570, altought I don't see why it would be a big issue ? So if your goal is to save money, and simply go for the minimum that would allow you to play the game @ max settings between 35-80fps, then the GTX560 would be enough, actually even the GTX460 would be enough.

Otherwise, Buu has some intresting comments, for the cooler I would go for the COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus no matter if you are overclocking or not, it's just THAT good for the price. YOur cpu will be much cooler and it will be much quieter than the stock fan.

I think he wants to install everything on that drive, including DIII, and use the green as a storage drive only. If that's the case then 120GB is good, smaller than that it becomes a pain to manage which application you want to install on the SSD or not, I can tell by experience... But again, if you really need to save a few bucks then go for the 64GB and install Windows and DIII only and nothing else.

5. mephistos uncle greg

switched a few parts already saving some money,

CPU: Intel® Core™ i5-2550K 3.40 GHz
    MBD: GigaByte Z68X-UD3H-B3
    HSF: CM 212 evo (changed)
    RAM: 8GB (4GBx2) DDR3/1600MHz Corsair Vengeance
    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 ti (changed)
    SSD: Crucial M4 CT128M4SSD2 2.5" 128GB SATA III
    HDD: Western Digital Caviar Green WD20EARX 2TB SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5"
    OPT: ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS - OEM
    PWR: Corsair Professional Series HX 750 Silver (changed)
    FAN: (2) Antec 761345-75026-4 120mm Red LED Case Fan
    MON: ASUS VH232H Black 23in Widescreen 1080p
    MS7: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit
    CSP: Logitech Z623 200 w 2.1 Speaker System, THX-Certified (on sale right now for 104.99!!!) (changed)

and thats all i really want to sacrifice, the 2 tb HD is for recording game footage so i dont really want to give it up and its a good deal, the 128 gb will install windows D3 and a few other apps without worrying about space. thanks for the CM 212 suggestion, its got great reviews ! and from what i understand i should be all set to get 60+ fps in 1080 res with the 560 ti , and possibly add another 1 later down the road to get extremely high performance!

6. Tilitoon

Don't directly record your videos on a "Green" drive, it'll be choppy (that's why it's a "good deal").

7. Namik

Namik IncGamers Member

2550k cost more then 2500k for not having integrated GPU. So save your 10$ and get 2500k.

8. Tilitoon

That 10$ is justified by the additional 100Ghz (3.4Ghz vs 3.3Ghz), it's up to you to determine if it's worth it though... Also in theory the 2550K should be easier to overclock since it doesn't have that integrated graphics, but I currently have not seen any evidences for that so...

Last edited: Apr 4, 2012
  9. Namik

Namik IncGamers Member

If you plan on OC CPU, what's the point in paying more for 100MHz ?

10. Tilitoon

No point. tenchars

11. Diab

Diab IncGamers Member

I use a 64GB SSD as my system drive. Everything that gives me an option to where to install it, I install it onto my secondary drive, a 500GB HDD. But with all the crap that programs stick into the Application Data and other such folders, it really bloats a lot. Currently, after ~2 years since my last reformat, it's down to 11GB of free space left, and I have to clean it out once in a while so it doesn't fill too much from programs' bloatware.

So, 128GB should be more than good for you if you plan on using it for Windows/D3 and a select few programs, but not if you plan on installing a lot of stuff. My D3 beta folder is ~8.7GB. Full game + an expansion or two might rocket it up to 20-30GB.

12. MustBHacks

MustBHacks IncGamers Member

Use a 2500K instead of the 2550K.
    Always get aftermarket coolers *The 212 Evo is one of the best Price:performance coolers*
    Recording to a green drive will be slow as they're slow drives meant purely for storage.

Note: The M4 series SSD's need a firmware update, so if you get that make sure you're comfortable doing the update. *It's really no big deal but some people freak out about things like that*

13. mephistos uncle greg

this is what i ended up going with

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit - OEM
    Western Digital Caviar Blue WD10EALX 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal [FONT=inherit !important][FONT=inherit !important][/FONT][FONT=inherit !important][/FONT][/FONT] -Bare Drive
    2x Antec 761345-75026-4 120mm Red LED Case Fan
    Logitech Z623 200 w 2.1 Speaker System, THX-Certified
    Crucial M4 CT128M4SSD1 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC 7mm Internal Solid State Drive
    EVGA 012-P3-2066-KR GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) 448 Cores FTW 1280MB
    CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3
    PC Power and Cooling Silencer Mk II 750W High 80PLUS Silver SLI CrossFire ready Power
    COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO
    ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM
    GIGABYTE GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
    Logitech Optical USB Mouse B100 (910-001439) Black 3 Buttons 1 x Wheel USB Wired Optical Mouse - OEM
    Series VS247H-P Black 23.6" 2ms LED Backlight Widescreen LCD Monitor
    LITE-ON SK-1688U/B Black USB Wired Standard Keyboard
    XTRAC PADS Ripper Optical Mouse pad
    Intel Core i5-2500k Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155
    Corsair Carbide 400r mid-tower gaming case
    Rosewill 10ft. USB2.0 A Male to B Male Cable, Black, Model RCW-101RT(free with purchase)
    G.SKILL 4GB Micro SDHC Flash Card w/ SD Adapter Model FF-TSDG4GA-C4(free with purchase)
    Microsoft LifeChat LX-3000 USB Connector Circumaural Stereo Headset(free with purchase)

think it will work out ok. opinions ?

14. Diab

Diab IncGamers Member

Kind of funny to me how you're getting this kick-*** PC and getting the cheapest, plainest mouse and keyboard possible =p

I mean, they work, and maybe you don't care so much about that. But if you've got a few extra bucks to spend, look into getting a nicer, more comfortable optical or laser mouse, with at least just a couple of standard side buttons. A keyboard is a keyboard, but maybe look into mechanical keyboards, or one with a backlight and/or media buttons, depending if you want those kinds of things.

15. Tilitoon

Pretty sure they updated all their drives with the update, it's been more than 2 months since the fix so they should be all good. Unless he buys it at a small local store where they didn't bother replacing the units.

Haha yea but he also picked a XTRAC PADS Ripper Optical Mouse pad to go with them :) At least he's using a logitech mouse, so he's on the right path. The Logitech G110 keyboard and the Logitech G500 mouse would be a good damn combo.

16. mephistos uncle greg

Hey I was trying to keep it under $1600 for everything and the mouse/keyboard/mousepad all got excellent reviews... I've never been a big fan of lights on my keyboard... media buttons would be ok but my speakers are in close range if I want to change the volume.. also dont care for giant mice with 9 million buttons strategically placed for ''optimal gaming'' that cost more than 18 subway sandwiches. As long as it moves smooth, I do just fine with the ol left and right clickers and a nice scroll to whip through mah skills(in d2 anyways, probably cant use scroll to change skills in D3 :( ....

17. Tilitoon

That's the kind of thing you can do with a mouse that costs 18 Subway sandwiches.

18. mephistos uncle greg

Haha well put sir, but then I cant buy 18 Subway sandwiches. Also, some quick slot keys on the keyboard work just as good as extra buttons on a mouse imo... to each his own I guess, maybe when I get some extra money I'll get a gaming mouse and see if I can put those extra fancy buttons to use.. got any recommendations for a solid multi button gaming mouse under $80(that's as much as I'll ever pay for a mouse, and thats pushin it!)

thanks for the replies!

Last edited: Apr 7, 2012
  19. Tilitoon

Just to be clear, I wasn't pushing you to buy a $90+ mouse and keyboard, as long as you are comfortable with the mouse you got then it's all good. But if you want a more gaming oriented mouse that won't break the bank then the Logitech G400 would be a good choice. I can get one for ~$40 CAN so I think it's a reasonable price.

20. Diab

Diab IncGamers Member

Hahaha! Wasn't necessarily talking about a whole bunch of buttons. Just don't know how anyone can use even an internet browser without side buttons for forward/back. =p

And most of all I was talking about a comfortable mouse. The one Tilitoon suggested is a good example. Look at the curvature of that one compared to the one you wanted to get. How comfortable it is to hold really matters a lot when you're going to be using it for a game like D3! The weight and size matter too, though you'd be better off going to an offline retailer like Best Buy and trying how they feel in your hand before you buy from newegg.

I agree about the pricing. I would not get a mouse over $50 even. But you can get a very comfortable mouse that will last you for many years well below that price.