Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates

Need help on gearing up a DH! =)

Discussion in 'Demon Hunter' started by Lord_Vega, Mar 30, 2013. | Replies: 8 | Views: 4423

1. Lord_Vega

Lord_Vega IncGamers Site Pal

Heya fellas! :)

After having re-started playing SC again, I have played my one and only char, a male DH, all the way to 60(11), and have done reasonably fine. Standing at 52K DPS at the moment, and easily doing alkaizer runs on mp1.

Problem I was facing, was that I didn't know how to really start getting the millions flowing. I would save each and every magic/rare item I found, as well as all gems, salvage and sell them all, and make around 100K an hour or so... pennies. Eeach time I would get to around 1-1.5m, I bought a new poor man's version of a unique or set I needed.

Now, I was stuck in really succeeding to break though that glass ceiling and start finding some items worth selling. My very best sale was a rare amulet which sold for roughly 850k.

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Vegameister-2492/hero/26355753

Then, I went ahead and did it... I pulled out my Visa and charged in 50 euros into my account, which is equivalent to roughly 192m gold in game.

Question to you now, is what are the best deals and items I should be looking for, to be getting the very highest DPS DH I can manage with the amount of gold I have?

Still not completely sure if I like the classic Ball Lightning better than a Strafer, which would impact my choice in items. The BL DH feels alot safer and is fun in itself, but the strafer reminds me alot of the strafazon I loved so much in LoD, so nostalgia is definitely working in full gear there ;)

Would you be so kind to let me know which build is better suited for farming ubers/paragon leveling and legendary hunting, and which items should I be looking at with a budget of 192m?

Appreciate the help! :thumbsup:

Edit: Really, guys? 23 views and no one can spare 5 minutes to give me an answer? hmm..
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2013
  2. DoxieVon

DoxieVon IncGamers Member

People are probably hesitant to give advice since you invested actual money.... and Dethclocks guide should answer most of your questions.
    http://diablo.incgamers.com/forums/showthread.php?841628-How-to-Multishot-A-Speedfarming-DH-Guide

As for build, it's really up to you... IMHO Strafer is far better at speed farming easier content... like mp1-5 depending on your DPS level... but It kinda sucks for high mp content/ubers.

As for gear… since you only have 130ish mil… be frugal… and since your SC you can skimp on some protective stats and go for cheaper legendary rolls. I personally focused on getting intro legendaries over an insane weapon…

1. get a pair of Inna’s pants… they only spawn with 1 random affix, so unless you somehow find the jackpot of good deals, stay away from +allres, or + bonus dex, as they cost like 80+ mil more over other variants… strangely pickup radius ones are actually pretty cheap, like 7-14 mill depending on dex roll. I am physically incapable of leaving piles of gold on the ground, so I think this is a good slot to get more pickup range on. +300 armor used to be around that same price to. You could skimp and get some crap random affix pair for like 2 mil.
    2. Get a pair of nats boots. 90 dex/90vit 70 allres ones should be fairly cheap, like 20-35ish mil.
    3. Get Nats Ring, unless you plan on hellfire/leorics for paragon, in which case get the helm/cloak. If you’re getting the helm or the ring make sure you get + crit on it, either one will set ya back at least 20 mill, more depending on the crit value.
    4. Get Inna’s 2 piece from chest or the belt. Should only set ya back around 10 mil, depending on mods, I went with the belt with a pickup radius mod.
    5. Get a good xbow… it’s very easy to drop crazy amounts of money here…. And its kinda hard to figure out what the better deals are… high dps, open socket are musts, dex and crit damage are highly valued, but they drastically increase the price of the weapon. Look around and hope to get lucky. I got a 1450ish dps, 150 dex, 1 os xbox for like 35 mil, it has been working out pretty well.
    6. You should be crafting dex shoulders/gloves/bracers/necklace.
  3. Lord_Vega

Thanks for your answer, DoxieVon!

There's no pressure in giving me 'right' or 'wrong' answers, I am simply asking because I know the bunch of people here at the DH forum have the most experience with the class, as well as with what works and what doesn't :)

I am familiar with both Dethclock's Multi guide, the Strafer guide on the forum as well as the classic Ball lightning build, but am not quite sure what would result the best way to reach pLVL 100. I see finding the Legendaries as a side bonus, while reaching high/max level is the goal before the expansion hits sometimes in 2014 or so.

Would you still say that the Strafer is best? I guess that depends on what is the best way to gain plvl's nowdays in 1.07, and whether farming at higher mp's is a better choice, in contrast to only farming on mp0 like the in the old days? Would that make the multi hunter a better choice nowdays, or perhaps the ball lightning build? That's what I'm trying to figure out before I even start shopping.

As for the gear and the points you've mentioned:

1. As you can see in the link to my char that I've posted above, I do have a pair of Inna's pants, with dex, actually.. didn't pay more than a couple mil for it, that I am sure of. Perhaps this is the crap random affix pair you are reffering to.

2. Got that as well, simply with lower vit than you mention. Are they good enough?

3. I do plan on having hellfire/leoric's after a while, but that will probably take me weeks/months, so for now, I guess a Nats right and a Leorics will be the best match? Guess my Nats helm is garbage without crit, was extremely cheap. Upgrade there perhaps?

4. Was thinking of going Inna's body with the witching hour as a belt, sounds good? what mods are desirable in that combination, and does that work just as well for a strafer/multi/BL build?

5. Rocking a poorman's Manticore at the moment 1050 DPS, 255 DEX 1 socket. Do I want to upgrade to a 2 socket Manticore with high dex, nothing else I assume?

6. Yup, clear about the shoulders, gloves, bracers and necklage. Some tips on stats I should look for on these?
  4. tougeznut

tougeznut IncGamers Member

Everything DoxieVon said was good advice. I would choose a multishot build over all the others, especially with your budget. I went ahead and took a look around the EU AH to get an idea of prices.
    1300 dps Manticore: socket, 80%+ crit dmg (5-10 million)
    Dead man's legacy: 9%+ crit chance, 9+ max discipline, 7%+ multishot crit chance, 190/190+ dex/vita (2-8 million)
    Inna's Favor: pickup radius 6+ (6-8 million)
    Natalya's Bloody Footprints: 170+ dex, pickup radius 6+ (8-12 million)
    Strongarm bracers: 160+ dex (150k+) only temporary until you craft good replacements
    Natalya's Embrace: 9+ max discipline, 90+ dex, 140+ vit (8-15 mil)
    Gloves: dex, All res 70+, crit chance 8%+, crit damage 35%+ (~1 million) only temporary until you craft good replacements
    Natalya's Sight: 5%+ crit chance, 90+ dex
    Inna's Temperance: pickup radius 6+ (8-10 million)
    Stone of Jordan: Max discipline 9+, Bonus vs. Elites 25+, multishot bonus 5%+ (2-5 million) [search tip: search for all armor types, and type in the elite bonus and discipline criteria with a buyout of 5 mil, then search with buyout from highest to lowest until you find one with a high multishot bonus]
    Vile ward: 175+ dex (~500k) only temporary until you craft good replacements

That should cover all of your gear for under 70mil. I assume the rest could go to getting some of the highest tier gems. I think you'd be around 120k+ dps and 65%+ crit chance for multishot. Your actual DPS will be more like 165k+ since the multishot bonus doesn't show on your stat sheet. It's a fun and fast build.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
  5. DoxieVon

the multishot build is THE build to use for paragon farming. nothing comes close to the speed that it clears with. As for mp difficulty, its still best to farm at what ever mp you faceroll through, so mp0.
    1) Yup the life regen is the crap affix.
    2) They might be okay for a little while, but when you get higher dps you might end up killing yourself on reflect mobs before you react and activate gloom, so in the future if you feel you need a bigger health pool they could be upgraded.
    3) Definitely upgrade to a Crit Nats helm. I just resold my 2 30% leorics because I'm expecting the price to tank over the next few weeks/month, so I wouldn't purchase one of those...... although it may not happen to 1.08 gets a release date. (they hinted that leorics will be able to roll as a ilvl 63.)
    4) Whiching hours tend to be expensive, and the attack speed doesn't do much for a multishot build. Also if you commit to a witching hour you cant 2 piece innas AND 4 piece nats... I would get a inna belt with pickup radius and a nats with 9+ max discipline, 90+ dex, 90+ vit.
    5) Not sure what the EU ah is like, but your manticore could definitely be upgraded, either to a 2 socket dex manticore, or even something like a 1300+ dps rare with dex+socket+critical hit damage. Also need better gems for your weapon, whatever it is. if you get a 2 socket lots of people have been going 1 ruby 1 emerald.

6) Crafted stuff will eventually get you something like....
    Shoulders: 250+ dex 70+vit, 70+All res. Whatever else. They can spawn with +life%, and armor.
    Gloves: 200+ dex, 50+ vit, Critical Hit chance 9%+ critical hit damage 30%+.... also AR/armor would be nice.
    Wrists: 230+ dex, 50+vit, critical hit chance 5%+, 70+ All res, 200+ armor.
    Neck: 200+ dex, 75+ vit, 9%+ crit chance, 35%+ ch damage.... than whatever after that, bonus damage, open socket, all res.
    If your looking at non-crafted stuff, drop the dex expectation to like 75+, and maybe all res to 60+.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Kia-1329/hero/47441 My dh for reference
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2013
  6. tougeznut

How is strafe faster than Multishot? I have 135k stat sheet dps and with Multishot (for me) had crits in the mid 200's and low 300's for elites about 70% of the time allowing me to one shot nearly everything up to MP1. I spent a bit of gold trying out strafe when 1.0.7 came out and I would need to spin around mobs for a while and almost 5 seconds for elites to kill. I died fairly often and couldn't manage hatred nearly as well as with Multishot. I also noticed you're using Multishot yourself :p. To speed farm efficiently with strafe as efficiently as MS you'd need to spend much, much more and sacrifice damage for survivability. Plenty of hatred and gloom is all you need to survive with MS.

7. DoxieVon

Wow I have no idea how I confused multishot with strafe... imma go with lack of sleep. :p But yes Multishot ftw. :x
  8. Lord_Vega

Thank you so much for the detailed replies, both DoxieVon and tougeznut! The whole strafe/multishot thing kinds confused me at first, but now that I saw you both were in agreement on the multishot build, I went ahead and done it, used around 200m on the following equipment:

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Vegameister-2492/hero/26355753

A few thoughts:

*I didn't have enough money to actually buy all the gems I needed, so still lacking 3 radiant star emeralds for the body, as we as hopefully a 1300 dps, dex, 2 open socket Manticore in the future, which will be socketed with a emerald and a ruby for max glass cannon carnage!

*Low vitality, even lower than what I have started with, but even at only 24K life at the moment, the killing speed is so outrageous at 120K dps, that it's not a problem.

*And the best part? 28 pickup radius is without a doubt the very best mod I have on my items! This ting picks up gold and globes from almost a whole screen away, and makes running alkaizer a breeze!

*The shoulders, arms, neck and hands need to be crafted. That probably means dex recipes, am I correct?

*Anything else I should be focusing on now, while pLVL'ing?
  9. tougeznut

The vitality is kinda whatever once you get in the habit of using gloom on instinct. You can out heal just about anything as long as it's active and you're spraying.

The pick-up radius is probably a little much at 28. You may have some moments when you run out of discipline and can't use gloom so you'll rely on those health globes. If you're doing fine, then all the better, but if you need some globes left over during or after a fight, you could consider dropping 7-10 yards of radius.

You should buy the plans for dex shoulders, gloves, and bracers so you can craft some when you start collecting demonic essence.

You might want to swap out your preparation rune for punishment to keep your hatred available. Then swap out hungering arrow for spitfire turret sentry to help you take care of stragglers and elites.

Have fun with your DH!

My DH for reference: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Tougeznut-1970/hero/29411519

I might move gems around so the DPS might not stay at 150k.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2013