Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Need help on converting my Archon to run Ubers (CM?)

Discussion in 'Wizard' started by JME, Mar 12, 2013. | Replies: 4 | Views: 5280

1. JME

JME IncGamers Member

My profile is here.

Highlights:
    1.83 APS
    39.5% Critical Hit Chance (with scoundrel and pinpoint)
    286% Critical Hit Damage
    544-606 Resist all (786-857 in Archon)- Note these included Glass Cannon penalty
    3193 Armor Unbuffed/ 4435 Buffed- Includes Glass Cannon penalty
    48,825 Life
    237 Life on Hit
    546 Life per Second
    150k DPS Unbuffed/ 180k DPS Buffed

I currently farm for experience and items on MP2 when solo or MP1 if playing with my wife. Lately, I've grown a bit tired of that grind so I thought I'd like to start farming keys and running ubers. I fully realize that Archon probably isn't the best spec for this and that my gear, as it stands, isn't suited for the task.

Basically, what I'm looking for is the best and most pain free way to convert my Archon into something that can farm keys and ubers on MP5 or greater. I was intrigued by the guy who recently posted a CM/Archon hybrid that he was running on MP9 and while my gear isn't nearly that nice, I thought that concept might work for farming keys (obviously with a lower MP level for me). Of course, I'm also considering going to an all out CM build when not farming for items/exp. I used to run this setup quite a while back and enjoyed it.

In short, I'm not interested in changing every piece of gear that I've got but looking for the best pieces to swap and how to best hit the necessary breakpoints and benchmarks to achieve a viable CM (or CM/Archon hybrid) MP5 key and uber farmer. I know I'm going to need APoC but I'd like to hear suggestions for what pieces of gear and how much (I'm thinking source and helm possibly since weapon could get pricey).

Just in case anyone mentions it, yes I am aware that there is a CM thread at the top but I was hoping for some focused suggestions concerning my particular goals and quite frankly it's a bit dated and I'm not reading all 30 pages to glean the updates (although props to Magicrectangle and Kestegs for helping people out there still).

Finally, any suggestions besides Teleport-Wormhole, Magic Weapon- Blood Weapon, Frost Nova- Cold Snap, Diamond Skin- Crystal Shell, Explosive Blast- Chain reaction, Energy Armor- Pinpoint Barrier, CM, Evocation, and Blur? Switch Tele to Slow time for ubers? I used to use Meteor as my damage dealer with my CM build but I doubt this is a good fit for uber running. For what it's worth, my wife runs a cleave/rend setup currently but will probably do some converting herself to do these with me.

THANK YOU.
  2. DickScotchfist

DickScotchfist <font color=#168A19>PoE Moderator</font>

It's been awhile since my CM days, and things very well could have changed, but I'd say firstly your damage mitigation (especially armor) is quite low. Secondly, I am a staunch opposer of using Blur with this build since if you're doing things right, you shouldn't be receiving melee attacks enough to dedicate an entire passive towards their mitigation. Lastly, I highly recommend using fracture in lieu of wormhole. The hidden possibilities behind fracture are endless. And if you actually sit down and time your runs, you'll see wormhole FEELS like it helps a lot more than it actually does. Oh, and your attack speed of course needs work. I would never uber with <2.74aps BP met in gear. But that was for 9>. At 5, you might be able to get away with less.

Edit: Specifically, I'd aim to get either you mitigation up using an affordable tri-zuni or aps up at least above 2.15 through various means. This could all be dated information btw. I have no knowledge of the new crafting system yet, but I'm excited to try it out.
  3. JME

JME IncGamers Member

Thanks for the feedback. I really didn't think my mitigation was that terrible, although admittedly my armor could be higher. Just for reference, without glass cannon, my armor is 3548 unbuffed and 4789 buffed. Also without glass cannon (which I wouldn't be using for the CM build) my resistances are 604-673 out of Archon. What resistances and armor level should I be shooting for?

As for skills, I take it you suggest Cold blooded instead of Blur with Evocation for the other passive?

I assume most of the rest sounds ok to you:
    Magic weapon- Blood weapon
    Diamond Skin- Crystal Shell
    Frost Nova- Cold Snap
    EB- Chain Reaction
    Energy Armor- Pinpoint barrier

I was never really a fan of Teleport-Fracture, but then again I was running away more back when I used it so I definitely see where you're coming from as far as it's benefit for keys/ubers. To dig into this decision a bit more though, would you dump it completely in favor of Slow Time- Stretch time for the ubers, assuming I have trouble hitting the 2.74 APS threshold you mentioned?

That leads me to my next bit. If skills are mostly settled then and, based on your feedback, hopefully I'll have a better idea of the armor/resists I'm shooting for in this build what is the best way for me to get the attack speed and APoC that I need. I'm also assuming that I'll need to pick up some more life on hit since my wand will probably be one of the things that gets changed out and I'll lose my 2.8% life steal then.

So if I picked up a Chantodo's wand with a Socket, which is naturally a faster weapon, how much more would I need, roughly? Then I start to think about APoC and I really start to second guess what gear choices I'm thinking of. For instance, I could pick up a Chantodo's Force for more attack speed but I'm guessing finding one with APoC is brutal. By comparison, a triumvirate with APoC is more reasonable but that leaves me looking for quite a bit of attack speed in other places. If I picked up something like a storm crow for my helm, I'd end up losing resists and attack speed but picking up APoC. I'm thinking I might could pick up some APS on my 2nd ring slot at least. At this point, I think the gear is my biggest thing I'm trying to work out because I feel like I'm losing somewhere unless I'm springing for trifecta items everywhere. I'm guessing it will involve my helm, wand, source and probably a ring or two (which I may just splurge for an overall investment that works for both builds for jewelry). Any specific recommendations where the gear is concerned?

Minimum Tick APS rate -----------------
    45 3.0001
    40 2.7273
    36 2.5001
    33 2.3077
    30 2.1429
    28 2.0001
    26 1.8751
    24 1.7648

Thanks again for taking the time to read and respond.
  4. DickScotchfist

DickScotchfist <font color=#168A19>PoE Moderator</font>

On fracture, it's just such an amazing skill (Personally I believe it to be the greatest skill in the entire game [edit: possibly], especially if you play hardcore).
    1. It's two skills in one.
    2. Instant 66% CC effect reduction- Enemy is only going to target you with annoying/dangerous things 1 out of 3 times.
    3. Humongous boost to theoretical EHP- Enemy can't go after all three of you, usually.
    4. The last two to three teleports with wormhole are meh- seriously, watch closely. Shorter and since you have to act quickly the opportunity is hardly taken advantage of.
    5. Fracture is almost as good at getting away from vortex (very almost).
    6. Create false corners for fire chains- 3 is confusing to AI
    7. Immune to Frozen Orb explosions/Frozen- It's the only teleport with a .5 second immunity grace period upon reaching destination. The others are much shorter. With practice, you will get very good at teleporting in place just as an orb at your feet explodes. You never have to teleport away, then back again and re-wind up.
    8. Safe passage is better for ground based elements- true, except for things that require aiming, cover this with mitigation. Safe passage for leveling, fracture for endgame.
    9. Better at "hopscotching" arcane sentries in place- because of longer invulnerable grace period.
    10. All this, and you still have teleport too.
    11. Bonus: better for pvp
    12. Bonus: More DC insurance - mirrors draw agro if you dc for a good portion of your idle time.

About specifics with gear, I mean, I could write too much. Simple advice would be to spend chump change on a Godly Rare Helm with massive mitigation (double armor, i.e. str+armor, AR, 6.0 crit). Just don't buy one with a socket (health is overrated for this build so you don't really need a vit gem granted you are meeting basic build requirement for HP/crit/have mitigation). If you can't buy AR, buy physical resistance+double armor. Phys damage is our greatest enemy since most seemingly fire damage attacks are actually physical. Second most important is arcane. Third Lightening. Lose energy armor as soon as you can for shocking aspect. You'll crit a ton more and it's a MASSIVE eDPS boost. One of the biggest. Pick up a buriza for your scoundrel for solo play to help freeze (should have one anyways if you were archon so you could run cold blooded while archoning). That's mostly what I can remember... yeah ias chants is the way to go. And those BPs seem slightly different from what I remember but 2.73/4 is the BP needed to effectively stunlock ubers. You can farm with less though. Eventually you'll want enough mitigation so you can lose diamond skin for shards. I'd do that first before replacing tele with meteor-liquify or the other rune some use now. Hope any of this helps.
    Scotchfist-

Edit: just realized I missed you question about specific numbers vs mitigation. I can't remember the name, but there's a post I wrote a bit back with those numbers that will be a better source than my memory. Also, magicrectangle's posts are very good on the subject.
  5. sweetalmonds

sweetalmonds IncGamers Member

you won't need as much ehp in cm because you can permanently freeze with high enough aps. the basic cm build is
    http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#VSYXhO!gWb!YZZacZ
    like so. replace cold snap with bone chill if you can maintain freeze without reduced cd from cold snap.

your gear is not made for cm there needs to be a lot of changes to get a higher aps and apoc.
    http://www.diabloprogress.com/hero/king-1853/Trance/16802839
    that is my wizard i can replace helm/weap/source with stormcrow/chantodo force+will to be able to do a half-assed cm build. but my cm build would need even more ias to reach the optimal 2.75aps breakpoint. so you'll need ias from tal chest, witching hour, innas pants and preferably some on the jewelery as well along with chandoto's and stormcrow.

also for your archon build
    http://www.diabloprogress.com/hero/doofinator-1542/Tempest/6518614
    you should be using glass cannon and galvanizing ward. you have no skills that freeze in archon or non-archon form and galvanizing ward means you don't have to deactivate archon to rebuff as much.