Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates

My very first Necro ;\

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by drunkoncheese, Mar 17, 2004. | Replies: 21 | Views: 593

1. drunkoncheese

drunkoncheese IncGamers Member

My very first Necro ;\

Yeah...just got some Trang's and figured I'd try to get a Necro up and running :thumbsup:

I was thinking a Poison/Summoner Hybrid, but I'm wondering what the most effective build would be with this gear:

Trang's Helm
    Trang's Gloves
    Trang's Belt
    Trang's Wing
    Trang's Armor
    Amulet?
    Ravenfrost
    Ring?
    Marrowalk's
    Arm of King Leoric

Was looking for advice on equipment and skills and stuffs o_O

For skills I'm thinking:
    Max Poison Nova
    Max Raise Skeleton
    Max Skeleton Mastery
    Max Synergies? Or corpse explosion?
    1 in each of the useful Curses (amp, lower res, etc.)

Please keep in mind I'm a Necro noob :p
  2. HarbingersOfSkulls

HarbingersOfSkulls IncGamers Member

Here's how I did mine:

I started off as a Summoner(getting a +3 wand to start with), I put 1 point into Skeleton Mastery and got 6-7 Skeletons fighting for me. I find it easier as a Summoner to start off as anyway.

Also, I would fit in my Curses in between adding to PE(as I reached that level for them)

Then, after getting my mini-army..I focused on the Venom part, and started putting all my points into PD until I got to 18 then worked on PE(and did that until I reached 30 for PN).

After getting PN maxxed, I would finish off PE...then would switch off between PD and Skeletons. After those are taken care of..Then Work on Skeleton Mastery(with +skills My Skeletons did alright until I finished my Poison Skills)

I would also suggest:1) Get a Clay Golem at level 6. 2) get a NM act2 Defensive merc(HF)

HoS
  3. BleedBlack

BleedBlack Banned

Well lately I've been hearing (and seeing for that matter) that hybrids don't do as well as pure poison or pure summon. So perhaps, you may want to pick one and focus on it to the full effect.

Just trying to get you to think in a different way.
  4. malathion

malathion IncGamers Member

Depends on what you want. If you want maximum killing power it's probably best to max one tree for all the synergies. If you want to focus on in PvP it's poison, if you want to focus in PvM it's skels/revives. If you want to break the mold and play by something other than a cookiecutter build, it's up to you. The best thing is to experiment, imo. It's what makes this game cool in the first place. :D
  5. jmprockstar

jmprockstar IncGamers Member

Full poison makes the poison stronger but also makes the necro open to the problem of immunities. Using the summon tree to counter that problem means weak summons and weak poison. It's a hard balance to strike, one I have yet to discover. The aforementioned experimentation is the way to go.

As for the build, if you are only wearing Ravenfrost for the CBF mod, then replace it with something else, since that's on the belt. You'd want the dex for blocking, but the rest of the mods aren't helpful unless you're a daggermancer.
  6. HarbingersOfSkulls

Well, that's the good thing about going with Poison...only takes 60 to completely max it all out. Which leaves enough left over to max Skeletons and most(if not all) of Skeleton Mastery.

When I first made my Venomancer, there was only a few others out there(UsWest Ladder)but they all complained about how Skeletons just sux. So that just gave me something different(at the time) from the others.

Now....it's seems like everyone wants to be a Venomancer(mainly from all the questions asked here on the forum) and with the strength of Skeletons...makes it much easier to level when you first start(than just using poison) and Skeletons do make a good secondary form attack anyway(compared to Revives).

The Venomancer/Skeletons will most likely be like Grunge music was...a passing fad, because everyone jumps on the bandwagon...then hops off in time. Though...there will always be the one's that will stay loyal to the Venomancer.

Also, there was the one guy that posted his Venomancer/Summons build(sorry forgot his name...somethingFranks I believe) and it did draw alot of attention also.

Anyway, It's only become a "cookie-cutter" because everyone jumped on the bandwagon...and it is a really fun build reguardless(mine was great at rushing and had only a few problems in acts4 and 5 in hell because of gloams and other lightning monsters).

**I'm not saying that anyone copied me...or do I take any credit for the Venomancer/Summons build**

Whoever did first post the idea of this Build... :drink:

HoS
  7. Voldomort

Voldomort IncGamers Member

I agree, I say take a good cookie cutter build, and tweak it to you specifications, see what happens. Put a few points into revive, and max skellys(not mages though)/SMastery, and the rest is just details. If you want to go all posion, max the bone tree. You will have few points left to spend. Good hybrids usually max skellies, it leaves you with a lot of options to customize your character. Bone spells require a lot of points to max with synergies, very little customization. You can max skellies, and still max a spell of your choice and get 4 or more useful curses, some essential golem abilities, and your pre reqs which still add to synergy, not to mention a few points in CE.

Still, though, I think you should get one respec per character, like DAOC did back before the first expansion came out.
  8. Saraph

Saraph IncGamers Member

Well im a Trang'd Poison Summoner. so i can offer some info there.

My necro does pretty good.
    put 106 str for trang.
    the rest in vit. (youl have a crapton of life, and youl need it at some points)

Hmm.. I would advise:
    Max Raise Skel.
    Max Skel Mastery.
    1 in Revive (1 for prereqs)
    1 Summon Resist.
    [no mages]

Max Poison Explode (1 for whatever prereqs)
    Max Poison Nova.

Lower resist (1 in each prereq, but you dont need all.)

This is kinda what i _wish_ my necro was, now that im like lvl 82. the only difference is that i have skel mages (base 3, total 12) but that took away from some more poison that i would have liked to synergize.

Since you already have trang you wont have to worry about resistances, mana,etc. And itl pretty much turn you into a mediocre fire sorc. Giving you a decent firewall, meteor, and fireball. Also, try and find Arm of King Leoric. thatl boost your skellies lots.
    (with my trang, and leoric plus a +2 summon ammy, i have _i think_ 30 raise skel, skel mastery, 12 mage, 8 revive)

In a nut shell. im thinking a nice chunk of poison, but enuf skels.
    this was my 1st necro as well. so... i dunno. not sure if my advice is too wise compared to everyone else necro builds.
  9. HarbingersOfSkulls

You only need 91 strength for Trang's(your shield does the rest)..Also as a Venomancer(your primary Killer) you would want a Death's Web first and foremost as your end game weapon(if you can find one or trade for one) and you would want all 3 poison skills maxxed out.

Your Skeletons are just a secondary form of attack for you(and can be used as a defensive wall also), but mine was used mainly to level me up mostly.

With 60 points into all 3 poison skills, that leaves you enough to get 1 into most of your Curses(+skills do the rest),max Skeletons(and then rest in Mastery)

I found revives to be kinda useless for my Venomancer(and I wanted stronger Skeletons anyway)...and with PN just killing everything by itself mostly...there was no need(or xtra points) for Revives.

Gumby + HF merc + Venomacer = alot of really slow and dead monsters

HoS
  10. Saraph

Saraph IncGamers Member

well you pretty much just summed up my dream build with my next necro il try it for sure.
  11. HarbingersOfSkulls

That's how I made mine...glad I could help.

Also, because I was going to make Bramble, I put enough into Dex for max block with Trang's head(I like to do meph, D, and Baal runs alot) and found it to help alot.

Others might not like block...I found it to safe my life more than once with it. Once Bramble was made, I also used a shako(with poison facet in it) and had much more damage with Bramble and shako than with complete Trang's.

HoS
  12. Baboon

Baboon IncGamers Member

This was my first build when the ladder started ;)

Some tips:

Max raise skeleton, but not mastery. put points in when needed (like 13 or so). One point in clay, mages, revivies, golem mastery and summon resist.

Get decrepify and lower resist

dont raise str to 106 (base) because trang's shield gives 25 str.

Dont put much points in energy since skeletons are cheap and you have to wait 2 secs before recasting poison nova because of its duration. So you don't need that much mana.

Get poison damage as high as possible since you need that to kill in hell. Use either trang's shield and gloves to increase damage or use bramble and death's web (and trang gloves).

You can do hell pindle runs with this build, when you enter the portal raise skeletons and revive some, blow up the rest with poison explosion (cheaper than ce). Then kill the remaining bastards. I got some unique charms there, if you get the poisonous one that's nice to socket your stuff with.
  13. BleedBlack

BleedBlack Banned

You mean jewels right?

Anyway, theres a lot of good advice here, but like stated before...a big part of what makes this game fun is the ability to conform a cookiecutter build to your preferences and style of play. Thats what its all about after all...
  14. Baboon

Baboon IncGamers Member

Uh yeah ;)
  15. Baboon

Baboon IncGamers Member

A friend of mine retired this week and gave me his dream set-up: bramble, death web, 2 sojs, mara etc. He used a Homunculous instead of a Trang. Don't you think that's a better option than Trangs Wing? Of maybe you don't have it, ignore my comment then ;)
  16. drunkoncheese

drunkoncheese IncGamers Member

Wow. The Necro forum is so active and helpful =)

I wanted to have Skellies as a helper for leveling + some mediocre tanks. Then I wanted to have Poison Nova as a killer, with some type of explosion (CE,PE) as support killer.

Seems like I'm leaning towards the following:
    Max Poison Nova
    Max Poison Explosion
    Max Poison Dagger
    Max RS
    ~ 10 or so Mastery (as many as i can spare)
    1 in Prerequisites/Useful curses

Does this look like it'd be an effective PvM build? I'd probably go with Act2 HF Merc like many suggested.

Btw, anyone want to get together and play sometime? If you're starting a new char sometime, give me a ring @ *drunkoncheese
  17. Liessa Wyrmbane

Liessa Wyrmbane IncGamers Member

That's exactly my build too :)

I went with Might merc instead of HF merc, but they are both good choices.

Yes, it's a very effective and fun PvM build.
  18. Baboon

Baboon IncGamers Member

Just one point in revive, there are always situations when you need em. Like everything is poison immune (i hate durance) ;)
  19. HarbingersOfSkulls

I use Trang's wing, belt, and claw(for the -poison effect it does) and use Homo on my Bonemancer.

Congrats on getting your setup.

:drink:

HoS
  20. HarbingersOfSkulls

Are you on West Ladder?

HoS