Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates

My trouble with D3 HC...

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 Hardcore Forum' started by Lord_Vega, Apr 20, 2013. | Replies: 20 | Views: 2654

1. Lord_Vega

Lord_Vega IncGamers Site Pal

Warning, this IS going to bea wall of text, and I will try my best to structure it as retina-friendly as possible ;)

Now, let me start by saying that back in D2, which I have played pretty much for 12 years straight (with perhaps a few months' break here and there), I played HC at least half of the time, especially as a part of the great SPF forum here on incgamers, and there we had plently of HC tournaments which were an absolute blast!

Now, eventhough I played tons of HC, I was never that great of a HC player, but I did eventually make one untwinked HC Guardian, a pure LF zon. That's right, she might have been a cookie-cutter, but she had no CA or nothing, only lightning attacks, and this was after the 1.10 and the immunities came into play, so the satisfaction of finally making it was extremely gratifying :thumbup:

Enter Diablo 3... started with a week long marathon on launch day (or better said a day after launch day, as we all know...) and never made it past act 1 inferno. Tried with a few more chars, got stuck there again and again, and quit the game in mid-late june I believe.

Fast forward to October 2012, where I came back to the game (I think it was 1.05 back then) and finally cleared SC with a demon hunter. Then I did the same with a wizard, and then suddenly realized something was missing. It was an adrenaline rush that I have not felt since playing D2 back in the day. So I went ahead and got back into HC, and man, how fun that was!

The focus lately on the HC aspect and community thanks to Xanth's wonderfully written columns and appearances on the podcasts, as well as Flux's late attempts at HC really made me realize again that finally, I am playing D3 in a way that I am meant to play it, and not simply as a nonstop grind for no good reward.

Well, then the first HC wizard died to a DC at around level 45 or so. Allright, this is normal and happens. Start another one, dies again at around 39 to a DC. Not so much fun anymore :crazyeyes:

I have since, and up to today, lost another 3-4 wizards, 1 DH, 1 Monk and 2 Barbs to DC, as well as a couple others thanks to my mistakes, and I have to admit, I am in a huge dilemma here.

Problem used to be that I was playing on a wireless connection, so I thought that my dragging that 30m long ethernet cable through 2 floors of the house and getting an old scool cable connection will prevent these DC's. That is still a probability, but the very first wizard I start after putting in the cable, dies to normal Butch, since my girlfriend was cooking food upstairs on one too many electrical sockets, and the entire electricity system in the house rebooted. I again find a level 16 ghost smiling at me upon logging in... frustration is at an all time high.

Basically, I am really sad at the fact that since Blizzard didn't give us an offline mode, it seems I simply cannot play HC, and I truly feel I should be.

I have since got back to SC, put in a few euros into the RMAH and geared up a 122K multishot DH and a 200K Archon wiz, at Plvl's 17 and 14 respectively now. Fun? Yeah, but after a while, the point in playing D3 is starting to dissapear. I am hunting for legendaries which do drop quite often, but are absolutely dismal thanks to bad rolls. I am slowly gaining Plvl's but see myself losing my mind before I reach Plvl 100 on both, and I really am starting to lose interest in that goal as well.

I've even had wonderful people from this HC community right here, such as jrsilva giving me guidance, items and a nice 1m HC gold to get me started, as well as people as Zappafan, Kornkills and Xanth really inspiring me to want to play HC. I really feel I want to be part of this, but feel I am being left out at the door...

Fact of the matter is, I have a 30Mb connection, extremely fast for any other purpose other than D3 HC. I live with my girlfriend and her 16 year old son who plays FIFA online every single day, and these are facts I cannot change. Is there really any point in trying HC anymore?

I have again started a new HC barb, inspired by Zappa's Plvl 94 legend (huge congrats, btw! :crazyeyes:) and am giving this a couple more shots. Help me with some supportive morale boosting comments? :)

Vega.
  2. slyraje

slyraje IncGamers Site Pal

I am sort of in the same boat, and honestly the only thing that keeps me playing is having people I enjoy playing with. Playing without making AH purchases helps somewhat since I'm actually finding and crafting upgrades occasionally. Though, dying tends to suck more, and I'm forced to devote a mule and stash tab to back up gear in the event that I die.

The only thing that'll truly save HC for people who are getting killed by disconnects more frequently than they can tolerate is an offline mode, and/or a change to the length of time characters are vulnerable after losing their connection.
  3. Lord_Vega

I totally feel your pain, slyraje! This is really frustrating, but in a way, I can't really ignore HC either, as I like both the community AND the gameplay a whole lot better than the SC ones.

If you play on the EU server, I would love to add you and play together :)

I guess a fix for the timer in case of a DC or an offline mode will both be possibilites later, definitely after the expansion has landed in our greedy little paws... until then I will keep giving HC a shot here and there. God knows my newest HC barb is level 36, with no chances of being deeded so far. Dreading that first DC, but hoping for the best! :crazyeyes:
  4. slyraje

Yeah, I'm hooked on HC too. SC doesn't do it for me anymore.

I'm on the US servers. Hopefully you can find since EU guys here to play with. It really makes it more enjoyable, and soon it'll be more rewarding too.
  5. Lord_Vega

Yeah, playing in a team of good, reliable people with the right mindset for HC sounds great, especially with the 1.08 buffs to playing in a group!

What I wonder, though, is this- do most of you here really take the time to re-level up a char all the way to 60 solo after a death, or get it done in a group, or even getting it power rushed there? Asking because with my DC's, I never even got higher than 55 in HC in D3, and I mean normal level 55, hehe.
  6. WebDragon

WebDragon IncGamers Member

First off, let me say that I feel for you. Nothing can ruin your online gaming as thoroughly as an unstable connection. That said, a little more info could be useful.

How often approximately are you disconnecting when you play? Is it once per hour? Once per day? Once per week?

What percentage of those disconnects have resulted in death? All of them? 75%? 50%? 10%?

What is your leveling strategy? Do you just quest through normally? Do you rush through the quests? Do you set MP10 and go nuts? Do you grind areas you've already finished to make a couple of levels before moving on to a new act?

How often do you use the AH? At what level do you start using the AH? Do you just buy weapon upgrades? What stats do you focus on for gear?

Answering these questions should help you approach your situation with a better mindset.

If your disconnects are once per day or more, then you need to grind areas over and over till they barely give you any exp. Also make sure that you always overlevel and overgear for the areas you're about to go to next.

If more than 5% of your disconnects are causing death, then you need to make sure your follower is always as geared as you are. Make sure you'll always using any defensive passives are available to you. Make sure you gear for survivability when standing around doing nothing.

For leveling strategies, playing around with the MP setting is too much of a risk when disconnects are a possibility. Stick with MP0, and get real comfortable with Act 1, its your new best friend. Level there as much as you can. Its the safest of all the acts. Grind in normal till you don't get xp anymore. Then move on to act 2, then 3, grind a little bit in 3, then clear 3 and 4 and back to act 1 of the next difficulty. Rinse, repeat.

As for the Auction House, you really should be spending every gold piece you make, and farm more besides. Don't bother with crafting at this stage. Its too expensive, and what you get doesn't compare with easily purchasable upgrades. Always refresh ALL your gear every 10 levels or so. All of it! Even if you seem to be doing fine. Especially your shield (you ARE using a shield, right?) must always stay current, as the block amount quickly becomes irrelevant if you don't keep it upgraded. Look for life regen and vitality on nearly every piece of gear. Sockets are a great source of vitality as well.

Vitality, life regen, shield, armor, and a geared follower. These are the things that will keep you alive in those dreaded disconnects. Take things slooooow and creep your way to 60. I wish you luck and I'm sure your goal of 60 on HC will be yours soon.
  7. slyraje

I usually solo most of the way back to 60 because it's been faster for me to do so. I usually join a public game when I'm heading into territory I feel questionable about. Lately, though, I've been better off solo until I can use a nice RL weapon. Mid 40's tend to be where most people have weapons that can carry them through NM/Hell, and it's beneficial to be in a group at that point because people with solid RL weapons can generally clear any danger pretty quickly if you d/c.

I hadn't received any help with getting carried until my last two monks. I got some help late in NM and through most of Hell with my current monk, and it saved me a lot of time. If you've got someone willing to help you out, definitely take advantage of their generosity. Just be sure to return the favor when needed!

Leveling back to 60 after a death becomes easier and easier the longer you've had a character established at 60. Socketed leveling gear and upgraded gems make things a whole lot easier. Since you don't have that luxury, I'd recommend doing the best you can with purchases in the AH, and play in groups if you don't feel confident about being able to survive a d/c.
  8. Lord_Vega

Thank you for the detailed answer (and questions), will try to answer everything you've asked me about here:

1. Back when playing on a wireless connection, I used to disconnect perhaps once a week or so. It might not sound like much, but it was certain death around level 40-50 or so for most of my chars, especially the less tanky ones (aka endless HC wizards). Since I have plugged in the ethernet cable, I have not yet experienced a single disconnect *knock on wood* besides the one caused by losing the electricity in the entire house, so far it's been roughly 10 hours of gameplay (2-3 days for me) with no problems.

2. Hmmm.. not all of them, no. A few happened while out in the field with no monsters around, so no deaths there. At least 90% of them have caused my char's death though.

3. My leveling and AH strategy as of today, is buy as many items as I can to twink my char as well as possible, and run through the acts. I do, however, make sure to be at least level 30 before entering NM and level 50 before entering HELL, of course. As I said, I shop and upgrade at the AH as often as my measly gold allows me.

4. Regarding my follower, I am not sure what is the best choice in case of a DC, but I got the fell that an enchantress with her debuffs might be the way to go (despite Kripp's old Rend guide vouching for a templar). How would I gear her to help in case of a DC? Vit? Dmg? Any ideas?

5. Definitely sticking to MP0 for now, will have to see if I ever get to that point in 1.08 where I can dream of doing act 1 MP1 runs.

6. Definitely using a shileld, and couldn't imagine not using one on ANY char in HC!

Thanks for the tips, I really appreciate it! :)
  9. Lord_Vega

Well, even though my profile doesn't show it yet (stuck at level 36, though my barb is level 51 at the moment), I have just entered hell, so I have got quite some low level items to twink my next barb, when that time comes, and it surely will... :p

My gold is at around 300K at the moment, and to be honest, I am not quite sure how to gear for HELL, seeing as I know I will need AR items, but the items with such stats are extremely expensive at my level (51). Any suggestions?

Here's my profile, even though, again- it is not yet updated!

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Vegameister-2492/hero/27132599
  10. slyraje

At level 51, definitely add reduced level required to your search fields in the AH. You can get a lot of armor this way, and better stat values since you can buy item level 60+ gear with this property. Armor tend to cost a lot less than weapons with reduced level req.
  11. jrsilva

jrsilva IncGamers Member

Well I am glad you came back again to HC, Vega. I have not been on because my router is having problems and I, who have never got a DC before, am getting DCs like every 30 minutes, so no point for now. I hope the ISP replaces the router next week so I can get back on it. I will help you out as much as I can and as much as you are willing to accept too :)
  12. Lord_Vega

slyraje, thanks for the tip on armor! I had no chance of actually purchasing a 18 LR weapon, so I had to sette on a 14 LR 776 weapon and bought a few pieces as the belt, gloves and shoulders with some nice AR on them. It ain´t much, but I feel alot better with around 175 AR now at level 53 than I did with around 50 AR :p

jrsilva, I am sorry to hear you are experiencing trouble with your router and DC´s, buddy! Be smart and wait it out until you are 100% sure you are back in business before endangering DarthVader or your Wiz, you hear me? Would hate to see them go down this way!
    Thanks for offering even more help than your 1m already, it was a huge help as it is! Will gladly take more advice and items you don´t need from you when you are back ;)
  13. Kornkills

Kornkills IncGamers Member

Vega, if your internet situation is resolved you shouldn't have much trouble finishing the game now.

DC deaths are tough, but its just part of the game.

I used to do the grind to 60 (done it 7 times now) but this last death I had a friend power level me because I didn't want to waste 10 hours.

Best of luck!
  14. Lord_Vega

Kornkills, I do believe it's become much more stable, but it's still far from 100% dummy-proof. That on TOP of hiccups of a normal PC and Blizzard's servers makes for a really adrenalive driven HC experience, hehe... At level 54 now and getting REALLY close to my first level 60 HC. Wonder whether I should try leveling to 60 before attempting hell Belial or not... take a look and let me know what you think?

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Vegameister-2492/hero/27132599

Guess a rush here and there to save me those 12 hours ain't a bad idea, hehe.

Thank you!
  15. WebDragon

WebDragon IncGamers Member

Your weapon is more than enough to provide all the damage needed for hell mp0. As such, I would recommend you switch ALL your gems to amethysts, including the helm. A little bit slower leveling now that you're so close won't really hurt you much. By the same token, I would swap Ruthless for Tough as Nails for more survivability.

However, there is a bit caveat here. I don't remember off the top of my head what dps is needed for hell Belial, and I imagine you already have plenty, but just in case, I would change skills for that fight alone and change back. Replace Leap with Battle Rage (Marauder's Rage) to boost dps and replace Revenge with Ignore Pain (Iron Hide) to survive his ground blasts. After Belial is sorted, you can grind in Act 3 all the way to 60 without much trouble, but avoid the keep levels 2 and 3. They've caused far too many deeds. Just grind in the first bit of Act 3 till you hit 60, slowly increasing MP as you get more comfortable, then equip level 60 gear and cruise to inferno.

Good luck!
  16. Lord_Vega

Thanks for the quit rundown, WebDragon! So far it´s been around 13-14 hours with this gal with no DC´s *knock on wood*, and even though I dare not say it lout for not to jinx myself, the coast looks clear for HC playing, I hope :whistling:

I will definitely change all my rubies to amethysts when I get some playtime later on today, and even swap out ruthless for TaN... eventhough that one is going to hurt a bit more, hehe. Guess a living barb is better than a faster but deader barb, eh?

Is that skill setup with Marauder´s Rage and Iron Hide something all your guys use for each boss encounter, or just something that is suggested for Belial´s ground bombardments? I usually greatly dislike changing skills of my finished "build" (a D2 pet peeve, I guess), but if it will keep me alive, sure, why not!

Typically, the Keep is my favorite area in the entire game, but I do understand those crazy suicide bombers are nothing to scoff at, thanks!

Thanks again, great tips here!
  17. oOmpie

oOmpie IncGamers Member

Imho: don't go for TaN... take Superstition...
    Better yet: swap Inspiring Presence for Superstition. Revenge w/ Provocation is plenty life regen for Hell imho and Superstition is just awesome until lvl 60+ gear and Impunity.

Take Rend w/ Lacerate when going for boss fights if you doubt your dps or Blood Lust when you want some life regen. Ravage does nothing special for you in those fights, only in the approach.

The maurauder/iron hide setup is a personal preference, I think. I have used Leap/Revenge all the way on my current barb and it worked out well. I have to admit she was on decent levelling gear from previous chars and as such I don't know how skewed my view is. She had WAY less dps though, I know that much. I think both are perfectly viable setups.

Never completely change your setup JUST for the boss fight. If you do change your setup go back a couple levels and get used to it. I lost my previous barb to Inferno Ghom because I swapped my skills around but was still performing my standard skill cycle when encountering him leaving me dead in the water when I accidentally blew all my safety skills at once.

Most important about the Belial fight though is not to panic. You know exactly what he does and when. Keep attacking until he buries his claws and then slowly stutterstep away from the nova's. Pop IP or Leap when you get yourself cornered and move to a safe place.
  18. Lord_Vega

Heya oOmpie! Thanks for the add, and your great tips!

I have taken your advice, and changed inspiring presence for superstition, as well as put lacerate on my rend only for the Hell Belial fight. The sucker went down in around 20 secons, and got me only as low as perhaps 2/3 of my life bulb, since I was entering the fight at level 56 and with 35K hp!

Going to enter act 3 Hell now, and level up to 60. From there it will be interesting to see what I do about gear. Either way, I will be updating from now on the HC barbs thread, so not to spam the forum. Almsot level 60, no DC yet... don't know what to believe, especially since my gf's 16 year old just got a new gaming pc in his room and he is connected to the same router as me, downloading god knows what, hehe... either way, I gave him the wireless adapter and I am keeping the ethernet cable right here, seems to be doing the trick so far :badteeth:
  19. oOmpie

oOmpie IncGamers Member

Gz on the progress. Yeah, wireless is the bane of a connection's existence.
    When stability matters ALWAYS choose ethernet over wireless.
  20. InteNuIgen

InteNuIgen IncGamers Site Pal

Good luck Vega, i am somewhat in a similar situation. Got a lvl40 HC barb that had not got much attention until recently.
    Decided to make a run for 60. At 54 now act 2 hell.