Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

My system - it's been a while...

Discussion in 'Tech Support for Diablo 3, Battle.Net & Systems' started by Ever, May 4, 2012. | Replies: 5 | Views: 429

1. Ever

Ever IncGamers Member

My system - it's been a while...

TLDR:
    I'm curious what's changed since I built this computer, and how much I should spend on my next computer that will run max-setting Diablo 3. My standards are much different than yours, so I'd value a more experienced and global opinion, rather than that of someone who might over-nitpick the details. (IE, "dood you gotta get the new Over-9000GTXXX," versus, "dude, you used to have a freaking 8600GT. Just buy the 6870 and you'll run max settings at 60fps with a room full of spells being cast and skeletons exploding.")

Longer:
    I like to research things and knowing that I made a sound purchase. That said, I'm about to upgrade for D3, and I'm older now. I don't have the time or energy to put towards countless hours researching what in reality are minute differences between similar CPU's and GPU's. I'd simply like to buy a computer that will run it at max settings, in multiplayer with a lot of simultaneous on-screen action, and on a great monitor. That's about it.

I don't doubt this has been asked before me. I guess the reason I'm making my own post is because I'm wondering if I need to upgrade monitors. If I need to get 2560x1400. And what will be required to do this without hiccuping in multiplayer like it did during the beta. Thus, please take a peek at my current computer below and let me know what I should upgrade to go from this to "max settings" in D3, monitor included. Any fast-track update on what's happened between this generation of build to now gets bonus-points!

Lastly, what kind of bonus am I going to see between upgrading my computer and monitor (~27in, 2560x1400), and just upgrading my computer and keeping this monitor (24in 1920x1200)? I think this will be one of the major factors in whether I go budget or go big.

Intel Core2Duo E6400 2.13ghz (OC'd to 3.12ghz)
    Nvidia GeForce 8600GT 256mb
    2gig DDR2
    Monitor: Dell 2405FPW (max res 1920x1200 16:9)
    See sig for details

1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Diablo 3 and web browsing
    2) What's your budget? Not sure. <$1k. But my post isn't about what to buy, rather trying to start a convo on upgrade options.
    3) Which country do you live in? USA
    4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, GPU, RAM, PSU, MOBO, case
    5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? 1TB 7200 HDD
    6) Will you be overclocking? Perhaps
    7) What is the max resolution of your monitor? 2405FPW 1920x1200
    8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC? 1 month
    9) What features do you need in a motherboard? I enjoy having up-to-date Ins/Outs for peripherals
    10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? 32bit Win7
    Last edited: May 4, 2012
  2. Diab

Diab IncGamers Member

Re: My system - it's been a while...

No, you do not need 2560x1400 resolution. Your monitor is alright, but there are a couple of things to consider with it: It's quite an old monitor and has 12-16ms response time. This may not be the case for you, but usually this would result in ghosting, something quite common when LCDs first came out. This is when a fast-moving image on the screen gets a sort of unintended motion blur behind it. If you've been using your monitor for a while, you may not even notice this anymore. Compare playing a game on it versus on a CRT monitor or an LCD with a lower response time and see if you can see a difference. You would upgrade to a monitor with a ~5ms response time which is pretty standard nowadays and gets no ghosting.

The other thing to consider with your monitor is that it displays resolutions in a 16:10 aspect ratio. While this is common, it is not as standard as 16:9, and you might be able to see more on your screen if you get a monitor with a 16:9 aspect ratio. This can be seen in this screenshot illustrating distance in D3. Note the vertical dotted lines on the sides corresponding to where the view would cut off.
    http://diablo.incgamers.com/gallery/data/632/medium/D3_Distance_Map.jpg

2GB of RAM is a bit low for today's standards, but will be fine to play with; so long as you are not running any other applications while running the game.

The Nvidia GeForce 8600GT is listed as "Low" in the supported video cards list:
    http://diablo.incgamers.com/forums/showthread.php?809792-Diablo-3-Supported-Video-Cards
    With only 256mb memory, and you planning on using a high resolution like 1200/1080, you would need to upgrade that in order to run the game as smoothly as possible.

I do not have much experience with Intel processors personally, but it seems to me that you will be good with that one, given the minimum and recommended system requirements for the game.
  3. Ever

Ever IncGamers Member

Yeah I think monitors changed pretty rapidly shortly after I got this one. It's crazy to think that these Core2Duo's have lasted so long!

What kind of bonus am I going to see between upgrading my computer and monitor (~27in, 2560x1400), and just upgrading my computer and keeping this monitor (better computer but same display)?
  4. Diab

Diab IncGamers Member

If you do not have an issue with ghosting as I mentioned in my previous post, then it would be much more worth it to upgrade the computer alone and leave the monitor as is. It's hard to say exactly what level of performance increase you will see since there is no real way of measuring performance unless you look at benchmarks with the hardware that you have. And even then, it depends on other hardware in your machine.

I am like you in that I like to research a lot and buy upgrades that will last me a while. You can easily purchase a new machine or hardware that will last you for a few years to come with even $500 or less, especially since you save ~$200 off the price with the copy of windows 7 and the HDD that you have.
  5. Sky Tan

Sky Tan IncGamers Member

Erm. Can i hijack abit what is the minimum size for monitor to have the max resolution? Using a 19" now.

Dunno should i get a 23"or bigger. Is there any significant difference vs playing on a 19"

Trying to get the best bang also at the same time.
  6. aerial

aerial IncGamers Member

I've seen configs with even better cards, and fps dropped below 60 in most demanding spots of beta, so I wouldn't be so sure about that untill game is released and it gets tested again.