Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates

my house is haunted.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by superdave, May 6, 2006. | Replies: 110 | Views: 10527

1. superdave

superdave IncGamers Member

my house is haunted.

for the last 40 years, i have lived in the same house...an old 3 storey brick victorian....i purchased it from my parents when they were finally sick of climbing stairs...when you have lived in one place so long, you become accustomed to all the noises...creaks and groans...a house can make....they usually only register now in my sub-conscious, but if i stopped to listen i could tell you the speed and direction of the wind just by the sound the old house makes.

i guess i should clear up one thing first...i am a sceptic....i have never subscribed to a belief in the "otherworldly"...in fact i have always been cynical of other's beliefs when it comes to spooks, poltergiests or ghostly apparitions...after the events of last night, i am still a sceptic but i am will have less cynism towards true believers...i am now open to any and all suggestions that don't involve 1) a ouija board 2) slaughtering chickens and hanging their entrail on my tree or 3) a visit to the nut-hatch.

i should also clear up one other thing...and yes, i am ashamed to admit it to the otf :embarassed: before last nights events i had not made my aquaintance known to the beers left in my fridge....the previous night, i did introduce myself to all but two bottles....i think i must have caught a bug from one while we all sat around watching the game on tv....so i was completely sober and suffering all alone with just a hint of the aforementioned stomach flu.(it is going around)

it was well past midnight; and i was in my room on the top floor reading...now i know what you are thinking...horror book right?...the fact is my reading material for the night was closer to the fantasy and scifi genre than the macabre or supernatural....the title of the book keeping me from my pillow was the canadian income tax act, [R.S.C. 1985, c. 1 (5th supp.)].

i was just about ready to call it a night when i heard a noise coming up the stairs behind me...it took me a second to place the sound though...it was the clicking of the dog's nails on the wooden steps as she made her way up the stairs...i say it took me a second to place the sound because i had never heard it before...the dogs had never been in my room before....they know it is off limits...the little terrier hit the last step, poked her nose around the corner, caught my eye and rolled onto her back...she let out a little whimper when she did this...very strange....i put my book down and followed her down the stairs...her sister was sitting at landing...and she was shaking like a leaf.

a quick note about these rat terriers...they are not timid animals...i think they believe their mission in life is to aggressively bark at everyone who passes outside on the street...heaven forbid if another dog passes by the front door...they start to go ape**** as soon as the invader turns the corner 10 houses down the street...their ears are so good they hear it coming through the double brick walls.

i did say they were not timid....a couple years ago i was in the backyard dropping a bag of garbage into the bin when a very nasty nazi looking red eye demon worshipping doberman hopped my back fence and came right after me....my life didn't flash before my eyes, but i was furiously calculating how many stiches it would take to close all of the wounds i was about to receive(i conservatively estimated 200) before i could get my hands on the shovel a step away from me and brain the hellspawn....i didn't even get a chance to make a grab for the weapon....the two terriers jumped through the kitchen screen window(a 10' drop)...one grabbed damian's pet by the throat and the other locked her teeth into the poor creature's nuts...i swear that dog didn't know whether to crap or wind it's watch...he just stood there for a second,:yikes: let out a howl, shook them off and was gone and over the fence....they were fast and vicious...both had blood on their muzzles....they saved my bacon...that and the fact that they belonged to my wife is the only reason i still have them today.

it was then that i heard the noise...instead of reacting with barks and various acrobatic tricks both dogs just let out another whimper each...the noise was loud enough that i could hear it on the second floor...it seemed to be coming from the basement....when i made it to the ground floor the noise was definitely louder and it was coming from the basement....i made a quick detour to the porch to grab my old sherwood hockey stick...i remember thinking how strange it was that the dogs were not barking...if i have company come over i have to take them to the basement and lock them in a pet cage...they hate this thing...i have to pick them up and place them both in before quickly closing the door...thinking that it may finally be time to put some locks on my doors, i turn on the light and head to the basement to confront the intruder...the dogs are right under my feet...if they had tails they would be between their legs...they are terrified....as soon as i hit the last step, both dogs make a beeline for their cage a few feet away in the corner...this was a first.

there are four rooms to my basement...although the house is big, it sits on a small footprint....the first room is empty except for the dog cage, my snow shovel and a collection of old playboys sitting on a shelf against the far wall....everything is quiet except for a low whimper made by one of the *****es....i walk into the next room, the stick in front of me...i am prepared to make marty mcsorley proud:angry: ...empty...i stand still for a second...holding my breath, trying to catch a sound from the other two rooms...the door to the third is open a crack...i can see the light spilling out from the single bare overhead fixture...i use the stick to open the door(my mother never raised no fool) from what i could see it was safe...i could see the black opening of the last room just behind the furnace....the only light in that room was hanging from the centre of the ceiling, if i wanted to investigate that room i had to walk in and fumble in the dark for the chain...now grab your knickers girls...this is where it gets freaky...as i am contemplating going back upstairs to grab the flashlight from a kitchen drawer, the light turns on by itself (be assured that if it was the other way around and the light was on to start with, i would not have stuck around in the dark very long)....i distinctly heard the click click of the chain as it was pulled and then released...in fact i could see it moving a little...now that, my friends, is not the freaky part...i didn't have time to question the click click then...i did that later....the freaky part then? when i walked into the room, it was like stepping outside on a february night(well maybe that is an exaggeration...but i wouldn't be exaggerating if i said it was like a cold october night)....and it wasn't cold in the entire room(i did thoroughly check it out)...the cold was just inside the doorway and quickly dissipated...there was no draft, no air movement....just cold....it was then that my slow mind put the cold AND the double click(pull followed by release) of the light together...i am not ashamed to say this...i got the **** out of there:scared: ...the dogs followed me up the stairs...they were growling now.

today i checked every nook and cranny in the basement...nothing....my basement is like a cave...the temperature is always a constant...and it certainly doesn't vary by at least 20 degrees...i also spent a long time playing with the light....i was able to pull the chain and jam it slightly so that with a small flick it would release and turn on the light...the only problem? one click and not two!

i know there are a few OTFers who have read this far, and i know that to a man(or woman) they are thinking the same thing....superdave, WHAT ABOUT THE LAST TWO BEERS! calm yourselves...on the way up the stairs, to my room, i did remember to save those last two beers from the fridge...they spent the next 1/2 hour expressing their gratitude at being rescued from the spook in the basement.
  2. Omikron8

Omikron8 IncGamers Member

what did the noise sound like ?
  3. Sokar Rostau

Sokar Rostau IncGamers Member

That is freaky.

I lived in a haunted house for about six months with an old school mate. We learnt quickly that the third bedroom wasn't a welcoming place and we sometimes stood silently in the kitchen ****ting ourselves while we looked at the shadows moving in that room at the end of the hallway.

Sometimes the spook even used the bathroom. I woke up one night when the toilet flushed... but my flatmate wasn't home and there was no-one else in the house.

Another night I woke up and someone was in the shower... and as running water is wont to do it made me want to piss. I waited until the shower turned off and went into the hall thinking it a bit strange my flatmate was showering at 3:30am and waited for him to come out... then he came out of his room and asked wtf I was doing showering at this time of night I had woken him up and should be more considerate... then we both opened the bathroom door (which should have been open siince neither of us were in there) and the shower was wet with the head dripping.

But this isn't the worst of it.

My flatmate was assaulted on at least three occasions by what I suppose was a succubis in his bedroom. He would wake up in the middle of the night, his room would be freezing cold and he would be unable to move, because of a weight on his body, and could "feel a presence" in the room. He managed to call out to me one night when I got up to go to the dunny and I saw this for myself, but he was quickly released.

In retrospect it's pretty cool, but at the time calling it spooky was an understatement. Even though we didn't feel particularly directly threatened (I didn't anyway, but he was not happy with that succubus thing...) we were damn happy to get out of that place.
  4. Gertlex

Gertlex Banned

Hey! look at that, it's time for me to go to bed.

Ahh, nothing like midnight hauntings:thumbsup:
  5. Gibbzilla

Gibbzilla IncGamers Member

*peels eyes from computer screen*

Anyways, I've had a few experiences like this before. For example, I was staying with my grandparents in Mizzou, and I heard a rapid grinding coming from the basement wall. It was about 2 a.m, and since these people are old, they were out like a light about 6 hours earlier. I was watching the scrambled channel:wink3: when I hear this noise. I open the door *creeeeeeeeeeeeeak* and slowly make my way down the stairs. It is pitch black down there with the exception of a strange shine in the corner where I thought the grind was coming from. As I approached, it got louder and louder, and then I heard a loud *SQWAUUUUK!* I haul *** out of there and cower in a room, finally falling asleep. I asked the grandparents about it in the morning, and they said it was, "the quails." Apparently, they have had a secret stash of quails in a cage, breeding them for some time now. It would have been nice for them to tell me this, before I left a rose bud in my shorts.

Adrian.
  6. mgomamgoma

mgomamgoma IncGamers Member

why did you have to post this so late? now im gonna have nightmares... o golly
  7. superdave

more or less like someone vigorously fapping over the aforementioned playboys in my basement.
  8. YogiRat

YogiRat IncGamers Member

Well, you saw and felt it. No amount of beer will make you imagine/ hallucinate
    this. Acid maybe :rolleyes:

My personal experience with such things came from living in an old 1880 vintage salt box in the older part town from 98'-02'. There was a cold spot on the front porch, right at the front door. I didn't feel this once, my wife and I felt it at least a dozen times each. We also had a visitor, the shadow of a cat passed through the light from a doorway from the kitchen in an ajoining unlit room. I jumped up, 'I know the cats are in the living room' and there they were, asleep too. It made dinner talk interesting :laugh:
  9. Gibbzilla

Gibbzilla IncGamers Member

One of those terriers would have had to drag me down stairs for me to inspect THAT noise.
  10. superdave

sleep paralysis....check out this site for more info

http://watarts.uwaterloo.ca/~acheyne/S_P.html
  11. Sokar Rostau

Sokar Rostau IncGamers Member

Yeah, I know about that. Doesn't explain why his room was freezing at the time when the rest of the house was normal temperature. Also doesn't explain why he says he never experienced it before or since.
  12. mgomamgoma

mgomamgoma IncGamers Member

me too, that said, here is my ghost/wtf just happened? story

About 2 years ago I get home from wrestling practice and pig out at dinner because Im an idiot. Unfortunately, I have a tournament the next day and I was only a pound underweight after practice. So I do my homework, shower, etc.. Later that night about 11:30 I realize that I am going to be like 2 pounds overweight so I decide to go for a run. At the time I lived in Hawthorne, NY, home of one of the most popular cemetaries in the country.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cemetery_of_the_Gate_of_Heaven

I live about half a mile from the cemetary and it kind of wraps around my town. So I decide to make a left out of my driveway to avoid the cemetary at first. I run for about 2 miles and I realize im not sweating that much. Really pissed off at this point. Should have went to the pharmacy down the street to grab some ex-lax. Anyway, I reach the cemetary and I either make a left up a hill to avoid it or keep going straight. There is a wide road that runs through the cemetary and I was feeling lazy so I run through it. About half a mile in I see something out of the corner of my eye on the right side. The cemetary in this area is on a hill. On the left is up hill and on the right is dowhill. I look over to where I saw the movement on my right. About 100 feet away is a house in the middle of the cemetary where I guess they do the cleaning of the bodies and whatever else they do before burial. There is a lamppost right in front of the house. But Im focused on something in between me and the house. I dont know about other cemetaries but here there are alot of statues above graves and memorials. I'm looking at this one statue and I dont know why it doesnt look right. So I stop running. This is when my mind starts playing tricks on me. I peel my headphones off and Im squinting at the statue when the light above the house goes out and all of a sudden the statue moves 10 feet closer to me. It was like something out of the Shining but for the split second I looked up at the light flickering out the statue really moved! It still gives me chills just typing about it today. I turned around and ran about as fast as I could down the middle of the road and put Rob Zombie back in my ears. I stopped once I reached the mall before my house that was well lit and asked my self, what the f*ck? I jogged the rest of the way home and fell asleep pretty easily just out of exhaustion.

I had a laugh about it the next day with my friends at the tournament and they told me I was being a pussy. I got out of the tournament at about 5 and it was still light out so I drove by the cemetary in the same exact spot where I had been the night before. In front of the house. The light was on early and there was no statue where I'de seen one the night before. There was no statue in that whole section of the cemetary!

My father always told me stories about how he would have to walk 4 blocks through a cemetary in Brooklyn every night after work and how he would see lots of things. He is very religious and claims he was never scared by them but just there are forces out there which we dont undertstand. But they are defintely out there.

edit: just to clarify what the "statue" or whatever the hell it was looked like, it was about 10 feet tall and slender with a robe and a hood... ya i know "grim reaper" but thats really what it looked like, also because I couldnt see it that well because the light was in my eyes all i could see was the outline really

double edit: I say "here is my ghost/wtf just happened? story" because that is the only story I got, nothing like this has ever happened to me before or since
  13. jimmyboy

jimmyboy IncGamers Member

But a drastic lowering in temperature is not a sign of ghosts. Countless investigations into the paranormal have confirmed this. And I don't think there've been a case where dogs were intimidated by ghosts. Therefore, it is highly unlikely that you have ghosts in your home.

However. A drastic reduction in temperature and dogs being intimidated are signs of demonic presense.

I'm sorry.

Look into an older book by the title of "The Demonologist."
  14. superdave

no lsd or shrooms...a piss test would confirm

i think that the countless investigations have proven only one thing.:rolleyes:

very interesting theory...maybe this is no coincidence....that room is the one used in my teen years to play dungeons and dragons...all of my paraphernalia is still there...a scuffed chalk outline of a pentagram is still visible on the cement floor.
    i don't think you have reason to be sorry....if a demonic presense is responsible, it must be of the benign sort...it did turn the light for me...i am sure, that as i made my way into the room to locate the pull cord i would have tripped over my daughter's toboggan left on the floor directly in my path.
  15. Jigga-Scrooge

Jigga-Scrooge IncGamers Member

these stories make me laugh.
  16. Ranger14

Ranger14 IncGamers Member

Hmmm, being a weekly watcher of the Ghost Hunters show that is not true according to them. They are constantly monitoring and watching for significant drops in temperature to associate with a possible supernatural presence. It is not specific to just demonic possession. TAPS approaches everything with the goal of trying to debunk the hauntings of places by using scientific equipment and means. They do everything they can to show "rational" causes for supposed hauntings. These guys seem to know their stuff and approach it in the right way. They use demonologists on different cases as well.

Doing a quick google search on ghosts and drops in temperature brings up a ton of ghost/paranormal sights that tie the two together. Perhaps "The Demonoligist" book is wrong.
  17. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

Ghost stories rock. And Superdave, WRITE A BOOK DAMN YOU!!! :thumbsup:

I haven't had any supernatural experiences myself but I've heard too much from reliable sources to dismiss it out of hand.

Well, if you don't get no poon then it ain't a succubus.

I actually had that feeling once. I had a dream that I was sneaking around the side of my dad's garage and it opened up and it was full of these big trolls. One of them grabbed me and hoisted me up as if to crush me with his big arms around my middle (it was scary in my dream, alright?) and just then I woke up but I could still feel the pressure all around my middle. I lay perfectly still for ages, scared out of my mind. The sensation slowly faded. Only happened that once.

D&D? HAHAHAHAHA!!! You should've cast your Turn Undead spell on the light bulb.
  18. Rius666

Rius666 IncGamers Member

Man these stories are entertaining as hell. Kinda makes me want to live in a haunted house...as long as whatever poltergeist/spirit/etc. that lived there didn't wanna me to join him/kill me. I think the experience of just living in a haunted house will make your life much more interesting.

Anyone else have stories? They are really fun to read.
  19. Ranger14

Ranger14 IncGamers Member

You should really watch Ghost Hunters on the Sci-Fi channel. Wednesday nights. It really is intriguing as they are out to disprove hauntings and in the process sometimes have nothing to do but say, yes there is paranormal activity going on. One of the shows on yesterday on the all-day marathon showed them using the thermo energy camera that shows heat and energy readings and for the first time they were filming and the clear image of a person, standing a few feet from them appeared and then was gone. They did everything they could to recreate the image by moving around, adjusting lights, etc. and they couldn't. You could even make out the brim of a cap the figure was wearing. It was quite freaky and they were obviously taken back by it.

To comment further on the temperature thing, it was stated that many paranormal investigators believe when a spirit or ghosts manifests itself, it draws from the energy around and this creates a drop in temperature in the air from which it is drawing the energy. There is no stipulation that it must be a demon.
  20. Rius666

Rius666 IncGamers Member

So this Ghost Hunters show comes on Wed. nights on Sci Fi? What time? I'm on the east coast, so I hope this doesn't affect the scheduling.