Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates

My Hardcore Group Killed Ubers

Discussion in 'Hardcore' started by magicrectangle, Feb 27, 2012. | Replies: 6 | Views: 935

1. magicrectangle

magicrectangle IncGamers Member

My Hardcore Group Killed Ubers

I primarily play softcore, because I am lazy and like to play Diablo drunk / while doing other things. However, some friends and I started a hardcore group for this most recent ladder season. The group consisted of four players, two who hadn't played D2 in a very long time, and two with recent experience (myself and the fishymancer).

We started the group with me (trapsin), a fishymancer, a concentrate barb, and a firewall/enchant/static sorc. We breezed through normal and nightmare, as expected. We made all the usual low level runewords, and leveled up to 70 on nightmare Baal, and then began our journey through hell.

In act 1, in the dark wood, tragedy struck. Our poor sorc stood a little too close to a fire+light enchanted zombie, which exploded her dead (even with battle orders, not sure what her resists were, but not good I guess). Heartbroken for our fallen comrade, we pushed on, determined that her death not be in vain.

From there forward Hell was relatively uneventful. Even the ancients caused little trouble for us, and we quickly became guardians!

We had always planned to have our characters go out in a blaze of glory against the Ubers, but due to a stroke of luck (an ohm rune dropping in river of flame) we had enough currency to get ourselves geared out decently. I respec'd to kick/trap so I could be a crushing-blow machine. We obtained full IK set for our conc barb, and I got the usual mid-level K/T gearset, except without dracul's (got a necro, no need), assorted good gears for the necro were also obtained, and of course treachery for each of us.

We farmed ourselves some keys, and off we went, to pursue our dreams of killing the Ubers, or die trying. I frapsed our first ever run at the Ubers for posterity, so rather than post a summary of it, I'll just link to the youtube video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpnYTv0W82U

To spite the lack of a traditional smiter, it was quite a good group for ubers. Kicksin delivers lots of crushing blows. Barb delivers good physical damage to finish off the slivered health (and of course battle orders). Necro gives not just lifetap, but terror and dim vision to control the multitude of spawned minions.

Our reward was bitter-sweet, a sorceress torch! A would be delicious item for our fallen comrade. Instead, trade fodder.

We made a second run at the ubers shortly after. I wish I had fraps'd that one, because it was much more entertaining. When I went to pull meph, the necroskeletons agro'd and ran up to him, preventing me pulling him back. By the time we got him back Baal had added to the mix. Our necro did a nice job of crowd controlling without dying, while we worked on Meph, but I discovered an unexpected side effect of not using Dracul's - I only had 10% open wounds from gores (and meph is immune to poison). As a result, there were periods where meph would heal a substantial portion of his life before open wounds got triggered again. We barely got him down before our fade from treachery wore off.

Ultimately we were victorious however, with the real danger subsiding as meph died. We finished off the others without incident, and were rewarded with a torch for our necromancer.

To spite having done Ubers many times on softcore, this was my first hardcore run at them. It was quite exhilarating. It must have been doubly so for our barb, who had never seen them before in any setting.
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2012
  2. asdfgah

asdfgah IncGamers Member

Re: My Hardcore Group Killed Ubers

Great writeup & nice vid, congrats @ the kills! :)
  3. coju

coju IncGamers Member

Vury nice! Enjoying the music thus far! (in proces sof watching)
  4. MYK

MYK Diablo: IncGamers Member

Thanks for the write-up and video! I enjoyed them both.

How did the mini-ubers go? It seems like you had a great team to beat the game with. :D
  5. kestegs

kestegs D3 Monk Moderator

Congrats! Nice video and write-up :D

One of my fondest memories of D2 is the only uber run I ever did, as it was in HC. Did it solo though. The adrenaline rush you get from HC ubers is awesome :nod:
  6. magicrectangle

magicrectangle IncGamers Member

Glad you guys enjoyed the writeup/video. I had a lot of fun too, and am definitely going to be doing more HC (in d3, if not in d2). I probably won't come over to the solo HC side though, I'm too fond of only paying half attention while I'm soloing.

They were fairly uneventful. Duriel was right by the portal (as he is 90% of the time, thankfully), so that was no issue. We had to clear most of furnace to get to Izual (no tele), but there were no close calls or anything.

I was actually more afraid of doing lilith on HC than I was of meph, but she turned out fine. We managed to not be amped when fighting her. There were a few witches in the room, but they cast the other curse (lowers your def or whatever), not amp. She did toast my merc, but that was okay, I wanted to be merc-free so that I could more safely pull meph anyway.

Taking it back a step further, we also managed to farm 6 dkeys off nihlathak without dying to tomb vipers, which is no small feat either. Particularly since we didn't have any ranged attacks that could hurt them. They're immune to my lightning sentries, so we pretty much used dim vision to get past all the ones we could, then watched the necroskeletons/corpse explosion kill the rest.

As for the team, yeah it was pretty great. We had a lot of good utility in the group. Between shouts, curses, CoS and mindblast, we were pretty good in the crowd control and buff/debuff department. Our DPS took a big dip losing our sorc, particularly before we got that ohm and got ourselves some gear, but the control was great.

7. xXxTraxisxXx

xXxTraxisxXx IncGamers Member

I really wanna do something like this, but everywhere I look, no one is up for it. All my old friends don't play Diablo, or I don't know their new usernames, and no one from any forums seems to want to. I'd love to get a nice group for Ironman, or even a normal HC playthrough all the way the end. Since 2009, I've gotten 2 playthroughs, 1 softcore that went to act 2 nightmare, and 1 hardcore that lasted until act 4 in normal, some people had to go, and never logged back on.

I did enjoy reading that though, gives me new hopes and inspiration to keep trying to find some people and do this :p