Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

My first Matriarch thread - Felosial the bowazon

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by sidzie, Jul 2, 2012. | Replies: 22 | Views: 2311

1. sidzie

sidzie IncGamers Member

Hi All,

This is my first Matriarch (hardcore would be a step too far) thread and since I love reading other people’s write ups I thought I would give it a go too.

I’ve played for many years on and off – I played online for a long time until I got bored of that. And I came back to single player after quite a break.

I was trying to follow Darcar’s guide for a poor man’s strafe/ frozen arrow bowazon, since I would definitely be poor and starting from nothing. Also, you’ll have to excuse the lack of screen shots – I only started taking them midway through hell and even then mostly forgot to take them in important fights, so you’ll have to use you imaginations.

Let me introduce Felosial.

Tasked with her first quest she ventures into the wilderness, somewhat bemused at being given a quest, since she was only backpacking on her gap year and happened to stop at a rouge encampment.

After completing this first quest, it became apparent that the quests would keep coming, each one more dangerous than the last. So she swapped out her cracked javelin for her favoured weapon – bow and arrow – onto which she fixed some shiny red gems.

The quests tumbled as she gained strength and experience and making some good new friends.

There was a particularly nasty fight with a big bad bug under a sorcerer’s tomb – she felt so cold and her travelling companion could not stay conscious.

After what seemed like no time at all, Felosial squared up to Diablo – it was time to stand toe-to-toe and test her strafe skills against Diablo’s red lightning… The lightning won quite easily. (Time to make a mental note – strafe lock is not safe when fighting Diablo). Eventually she prevailed and Diablo was defeated – the tactic was similar to Durial – hit and run… a painfully slow process.

The hills outside Harrogath were the ideal place to train up her freezing arrows since there was plenty of snow around to draw strength from – a lot of monsters were easily defeated by such a powerful spell. Baal’s minions also proved to be susceptible to Felosial’s freezing arrows.

Baal’s clone repeatedly delayed the inevitable – but Baal must have known all along that he was about to be defeated.

Felosial thought it was all rather fun – and decided to give it another go. She thought she was really getting the hang of these freezing arrows. And so it proved – nightmare was very straight forward, and created so many shattered corpses as to make a necromancer have nightmares.

She even collected enough runes to make a powerful new bow after defeating Diablo for a second time, having learnt not to stand and blindly strafe at the big red demon.

Spoils of War

After Diablo, came the first real quantity of monsters that were immune to Felosial’s freezing arrows. Strafe was beginning to looks relatively weak. You may have noticed a common theme, but there was a lot of running away done by Felosial. This became really apparent from here on out. As soon as a freezing arrow appeared to have no affect Felosial would have to run away and fight things a little more fairly, using her decoy, merc and Valk to good affect. And soon, Baal was once more defeated.

Getting another weird feeling of deja vu Felosial started again and things continued much like they had in the previous act. It became more apparent that she would need to find a secondary bow to deal out some physical damage.

Many magic bows fell, but none were what Felosial was looking for.

Progress finally came to a halt at the edge of Durial’s burrow. Felosial considered her options, but decided to proceed as she was after gaining some more experience and looking for that bow. Durial was finally overcome, but it was a close and tough fight.

Things went smoothly afterwards again – Durial’s small space, cold aura and hard physical attacks make him very difficult for a bowazon.

And thing progressed easily up to one of the final tests – the Ancients. Another stopping point. Several attempts and Felosial made no progress against these barbarian champions. She was at a loss.

Determined, she again assessed her options, and decided to spend her time in the Ancient tunnels, where freezing arrow was very successful. She would look for a high damage bow, runes, or javelins (so that she could take on the remaining game with lightning instead of cold).

She was debating using her vex and ist rune to make Silence. In fact, she was just looking for a suitable bow… When this happened…

Being the selfish kind that she was – Felosial wanted to use her new found rune, but Ashab had his eyes set on a great poleaxe. Felosial and Ashab flipped coins, did rock-paper-scissors, arm wrestled and had archery contests… but could not agree who got to use their new rune.

They finally agreed, that whatever item dropped first would settle it – a Crusader bow or an Ethereal great Poleaxe. Of course, Felosial thought she had the best chance – and indeed so it was

This left the ist rune free to make Delirium in her helm. And so she took on the Ancients, which then seemed like a joke – her new weapon punched holes in them.

And it didn’t stop there – the world stone keep, and Baal’s minions all fell. Confused monsters were killing each other. Felosial was safe as lightning blasts came from off screen, but not all aimed at her – in fact, aimed is so many directions that it appeared random.

And so – one last challenge. Baal. The fight was going well, Baal’s clone was pathetic this time. And the festering appendages gave Felosial a great chance to fill her mana and life bulb back. But then it happened (and I wish I got a screen shot of this) Delirium struck Felosial – her bow disappeared in her hands and she looked down to see her hands – now tiny bone claws – she was a little bone fettish….

She hid around a corner for the duration and the fight continued. Baal on a slither of life… then done

Finally, she had triumphed

[​IMG]

I'll get around to stats and skills later. Thanks for reading (and I hope the links work).

Sid
  2. Albatross

Albatross IncGamers Member

Wow.. just when I was about to say that Silence is an excellent strafer weapon you became a proud owner of a very rare and unique weapon :)

Congratulations!
  3. zaphodbrx

zaphodbrx IncGamers Member

On one hand, congratulations on the Mat! but.. on the other, appalled at the singularly awful waste of a zod rune. I mean, seriously? Buriza is probably better, not even going into Faith/Windforce..
  4. EasyG

EasyG IncGamers Member

:ponder: gz! nice story

5. redragon

redragon IncGamers Member

:crazyeyes:Zoddd:crazyeyes:

Found, not cubed...:crazyeyes:

Congrats on finding the Zod.

Oh, and congrats on your first Mat thread.

Zoooodddddd:crazyeyes:
  6. sidzie

sidzie IncGamers Member

Thank you,

And sorry for the most amazing waste/use of a Zod rune anyway. I didn’t take the decision lightly – just ask my flatmate and girlfriend.

In my defense (as weak as it is):

• If I had WF or the runes for Faith I would have used them
    • I didn’t plan on having a zod, so it’s not as though any future characters will be missing out
    • I don’t have any other character and am not going to be playing much for a while
    • It’s a game – it’s fun – I found a zod rune

Also I did some basic calculations and (barring Faith – which I don’t have RWM for or the runes) BotD and WF are both reasonably powerful. The additional speed and lower strength req on BotD allowed for more damage although I think Faith still blows both of them out of the water – but I didn’t have Faith rune words or RWM.

I was just running AT to find a higher damage bow and indirectly I got one.

Perhaps in a few months time when I decide that I want a two handed WW barb, I may regret my decision (and my WW barb will have an act 1 merc with a BotD).

Feel free to heckle me further about it though
  7. One nOOb to rule them all

One nOOb to rule them all IncGamers Member

Don't let these people get you down. If I had a zod I would totally make a BotD in a bow as well. Just for the simple fact that I love Zons. I am sure there will be naysayers about my use of a Ber if/when I Guardian my next zon I am going to be using a wrath with.
  8. sidzie

sidzie IncGamers Member

Absolutely, it was incredibly fun to run around with a BotD bow. Plenty of poison novas going off.

Wrath would be good too - lots of style points there. I cant say I've tried that. I was considering trying to save up for a Call to Arms bow at one point, I think that could work too.
  9. Bali

Bali IncGamers Member

You can always make new builds around a botd bow :p

Anyway, congratz on your first mat. Hopefully I will do the same with my sorc sometime soon.
  10. sidzie

sidzie IncGamers Member

That's true. I can give it some thought.

Yeah good luck with your sorc - what build?
  11. Bali

Bali IncGamers Member

It's a pure fire sorc for now, but I'm only in normal act 3. I'm actually amazed how static field is OP. I plan on respeccing my sorc to blizzard/fire ball once she reaches nightmare.
  12. sidzie

sidzie IncGamers Member

Cool, good luck with that. I had an orb/baller which did well.
  13. pharphis

pharphis IncGamers Site Pal

*Commands you to do a BotD bow sept ;)
    Great write-up! Hell, even if it was the worst write-up evar it would still be good because you made BotD :p
    It was good, though. Don't misinterpret that :p
    Do you plan to run AT with her anymore?

annnnd Congrats on the MAT :)
  14. Jason Maher

Jason Maher IncGamers Member

That is awesome. I've always said I'd make BotD in a bow. You actually did it. 10^100 style points! :thumbsup:

By the by, Windforce has higher damage output than Faith. Which is more effective comes down to a speed vs damage equation, and depends on the character, moron, and other gear you are using. I'm currently using a Faith GMB because it allows me to easily reach 8-frame multi, and because the other mods make me happy (ITD and 300% to AR for monsters that ITD doesn't work against, chiefly).
  15. dustloop

dustloop IncGamers Member

Congratulations, hero!

+1,000,000 style points for a BoTD Crusader. This is SPF, style counts!

This reminds me of someone on the Amazon Basin using a Sur to make Wind. It was pretty funny too, I think the thread title was "Breaking Wind"?
  16. nulio

nulio IncGamers Member

+ 1000 to the ones that say that you shouldn't have used the Zod rune!!!!

You should have gave it me! :p

Congrats on the Mat, on the great drop and style :D
  17. Drystan

Drystan IncGamers Member

oO' A Zod? Congrats on the luck, especially finding it with only one Matriach! Oh, and congrats on Matting Felosial too. The first one is usually the most special - I think this doubly true in your case!
  18. zaphodbrx

zaphodbrx IncGamers Member

Which would be even sillier than Botd bow, because Wind only works in Melee weapons..

Style points yeah. Effectiveness, no. If this is the only character you make, it's probably okay, but otherwise you'll come to regret it at some point. Oh and it doesn't compare to windforce in any way ( sorry! ), I doubt if it even matches buriza.

What was your build actually, I couldn't tell. Frozen arrow? I suggest respecing to a pit strafer. I made one video here, not the best ofc, but it might give you some ideas.

19. sidzie

sidzie IncGamers Member

Thanks for the congratulations all – although I’ve had many high level characters online and through multiplayer I’ve never finished the game completely single player/self found items.

Pharphis

Oh no, don’t put ideas like that into my head, haha. I wont start it in the foreseeable future… but that doesn’t mean I wont look into it at some point.

I don’t really plan on much D2 for a while, but more AT runs would be possible. Also I think WSK and the Pits might be good.

Jason, dustloop and nulio

Thank you for the style points. Good to hear that style is important on SPF.

Drystan

Yeah, I think the satisfaction of having done it all myself, with this character is pretty cool – especially with the luck. It has made me want to do it again with more characters…

zaphodbrx

Good point about Wind being melee. I had assumed it was being done in a bow – but having read back dustloop just mentioned trying to ‘break wind’ and didn’t say about a bow.

Thank you for the style points too. As for effectiveness – it was effective for me, my bows at the time consisted of Melody and a rare bow that I was using for extra physical damage (but not a good rare) – BotD totally outclassed those for damage. I realise that it probably wasn’t optimal.

I would be tempted at some point to get hold of a WF and test it out a bit with this character – leaving everything else the same. Maybe time some different runs (then respect) and try with WF.

I was a strafe/FA build – I will get around to writing that bit up too (hopefully today).

I’m not starting a new char straight away, but when I do I was planning on loading up ATMA and RWM and probably start with a sorc and maybe try to do some tournaments on here. I will looking into turning Felosial into a pit strafer.

Hopefully back later with the build stuff.

Thanks for the comments – I appreciate that my build was probably not optimal, but it worked.
  20. One nOOb to rule them all

One nOOb to rule them all IncGamers Member

You should at least do a necro archer with synergized P.nova and lower resist. I will personally guarantee the chain reactions of P.Novas will be fun! If not I will give you 1 El rune.