Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

My Blizzard-Fireball sorc build guide

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by Miladys-Knight, Jun 28, 2004. | Replies: 144 | Views: 201537

1. Miladys-Knight

Miladys-Knight IncGamers Member

My Blizzard-Fireball sorc build guide

Hi everyone. I'm new to this forum but I have been playing since the original Diablo came out. I've read through the sorc guides here and like them all. I also enjoy working on unusual builds when I get tired of magic finding. I haven't seen my favorite build for a sorc on this forum yet so I guess I'll post it and see what you all think.

I feel really, really, REALLY, stupid right now because while I was trying to get some of the information on my sorc (massive multi-tasking) I wasn't watching which buttons I was clicking and pressing and accidentally deleted her :surprise: :grrr: :rant: oh well I guess I'll just rebuild her when they reset the ladder.

Anyway here is the guide for Tempest-Knight (confined now to oblivion).

Chill ‘em and Kill ‘em

The Blizzard Fireball Sorceress

All Sorceresses’ will want to have gear that increases skill pluses. As many plusses as you can possibly get.

The best sorceress builds, as far as I am concerned, are builds that use a delay spell coupled with a fast cast spell. This build does exactly that in 2 different elements.

92 skills at level 81 including Den, Radament, and Izual in all 3 difficulties up to act 4 hell.

Cold Skills

Ice Bolt (1) point. Prerequisite for Ice Blast.
    Ice Blast (1) point. Prerequisite for Glacial Spike.
    Glacial Spike (20) points. Prerequisite for Blizzard, secondary fast cast skill.

Frost Nova (1) point. Prerequisite for Blizzard.
    Blizzard (20) points. Main Delay Spell.

Cold Mastery (1) point. Reduces the cold resistances of monsters effectively increasing the damage done by your cold spells to most monsters.

Fire Skills

Inferno – (1) point. Perquisite for Blaze.
    Blaze – (1) point. Perquisite for FireWall.
    Fire Wall – (1) point. Perquisite for Meteor.

Fire Bolt – (1) point. Adds synergies to Fireball and Meteor for each natural level.
    Fire Ball – (20) points. Main fast cast spell. Adds synergies to Meteor and receives synergies from Fire Bolt and Meteor.
    Meteor – (20) points. Secondary delay spell. Receives synergies from Fire Bolt and Fireball.

Fire Mastery – (1) point. Increases damage caused by all Fire spells.

Warmth (1) point. Increases the rate at which mana is regenerated.

Lightening Skills

Telekinesis (1) point. Prerequisite for Teleport.
    Teleport (1) point.

Stat Distribution.

Strength – Just enough to use your gear. My sorc has a base strength of 88.
    Dexterity – nothing.
    Vitality – all the rest.
    Energy – nothing. You only need enough mana to cast your spells with out constantly guzzling blues.

First thing is my play style…… She’s a SORCERESS, not a sorcbarian, not a sorcazon, not a sorcadin, a SORCERESS! A shield is not a defense it’s a tool and should add FCR / mana / life / resists / skills. Your defense is staying away from the monsters, letting your merc tank, and teleporting out of any ranged attack (or monster swarm) that should come your way (which also has the added advantage of having your mercenary rejoin you at your destination). Too many of us in the USA are impatient and rush to kill the monsters. Those of us that played the original Diablo game (especially the warrior) learned how to separate packs of monsters and take on each group (and their weaknesses / strengths) one at a time. Don’t worry…. The monsters WILL come to you and, those that don’t, will get killed at your leisure, on your terms.

In my opinion, this is the most versatile sorceress build in the 1.10 patch. Use Blizzard as your main Delay spell to slow and damage monsters then switch to Fireball to rain fiery death upon the chilled monsters (chill ‘em and kill ‘em). Against Fire immune monsters use Blizzard as the delay spell and Glacial spike as the fast cast spell. Against Cold immune monsters use Meteor as your delay spell and then blast away with Fireball as the fast cast. A few monsters are fire and cold immune (The Countess in hell difficulty comes to mind) but that’s what your mercenary is for……

Wait a minute, wait a minute, wait a minute! Only one point in warmth? Yes you don’t really need to afford more here on this build. Add Mana from charms to increase your mana supply (and the rate of regeneration).

Hunh? Mana regeneration is stated in strict percentages. If you regenerate 20% of mana in X time, the more mana you have, the more you regenerate. 20% of 500 mana is 100 mana regained in X time. 20% of 1000 mana is 200 mana regained in the same amount (X) of time.

Use P skull instead of Um rune in armor and helm if you have enough resistances from other sources, and drink potions when you need them. If you have all the high level items your warmth should be at least level 11. You can increase this by adding a Fire Skills Grand Charm (Cold skills grand charm is not as good an option) if the fire charm has +to mana on it so much the better.

Why only one point in the masteries? Because the masteries aren’t synergies and gain bonuses from +skills. This is the fastest way I have been able to get a sorceress to deal significant damage and be viable in all areas and difficulties of the game.

The Synergies on the fire spells add +14% damage per level to your Fireball. Each point after the first in Fire Mastery only adds 7% to damage EXCEPT the first one, which adds 30%. The synergies get no bonuses from +skill items but Fire Mastery does. So this single point is worth it but any more would not be. After the build is maxed out you can start increasing the Fire Mastery and the Cold Mastery. I will alternate 2 levels of Fire Mastery followed by 1 level of Cold Mastery. I use Fire Mastery because it increases the damage of both Fire Ball and Meteor by a larger margin than the synergy from Fire Bolt.

I like Blizzard better than Frozen Orb for a few reasons. First , Blizzard synergizes with Glacial Spike by 5% as opposed to the 2% that Frozen Orb gets from Ice Bolt. All of the cold spells gain the same benefits from Cold Mastery so that’s a wash. Glacial Spike is a 2 yard radius spell that freezes it’s target as opposed to Ice Bolt which hits a single target and only chills it. This makes Glacial Spike a much better secondary (fast cast) spell than Ice Bolt. Second, Blizzard does more base damage and has a 1.8 second casting delay as opposed to a 1 second casting delay for Frozen Orb, so I can get in more fast cast spells before having to renew blizzard. Third, Blizzard’s duration is 4 seconds so I can effectively have 2 going at the same time. Fourth, I can hit the edge of the screen immediately with Blizzard (and so slow the monsters). Frozen Orb has a short range and the shards have to travel to the edge of the screen before it effects the monsters there (takes about hmmm 1 second), so range and speed for Blizzard are both better. Fifth, in PVP the Amazon’s Slow Missile has no effect on Blizzard. Sixth, Snow clash adds 2 to Blizzard, 3 to Glacial Spike and incidentally gives me chilling armor so I get that cold skill for free. No other belt adds to spell skills except for Arachnids mesh, which adds 1 to all, and fat chance of finding one of those.

The Glacial Spike synergy on the Blizzard adds the same amount of damage % as the resistance reduction % from Cold Mastery but, Cold Mastery can’t be used as an offensive spell, and Glacial Spike can. Blizzard doesn’t increase the damage done by Glacial Spike but the synergy from this spell increases the duration of time that monsters are FROZEN (not chilled like blizzard). Used on a small group of fire immunes with enough fast cast it is possible to kill them with out them ever getting a chance to move. (At skill 20 = 4.2 sec frozen * 1.6 for the (20) Blizzard synergy / 4 for hell diff = minimum of 1.68 seconds frozen and unable to move.) A single point into cold mastery, to capture the 20% initial cold resistance reduction and the increased damage gained therein, and the bonus provided by skill plusses produces the most damage possible for this skill tab at the earliest level. (Remember that this happens because we are using delay spells in combination with fast cast spells)

I prefer the Barbarian mercenary to the Act 2 Mercenary for a couple of reasons. First, all the auras that are available do not really significantly help my build except Holy Freeze, but since I can do cold damage all the way off the screen, that’s not really needed either. Second, the barbarian seems to me to attack and walk faster. Act 2 mercenary is kind of slothful. Third, the Barbarian can absorb more punishment before dying. Fourth, the Barbarian maxes out his resistances earlier.

I load my mercenaries up on life leech a little extra resists and decent damage.

Why do I build the mercenaries this way? Well put simply, I kind of like the fire and forget nature of this build. Lots of leech keeps me from wasting potions on the mercenary and the only monsters they really have to kill on their own is a monster that is both fire and cold immune. Even those boss monster’s minions aren’t resistant to both elements so I can usually trim all the extraneous foliage and leave the double immune to the mercenary. Physical immune monsters are mine any way and are pretty easy since they aren’t immune to at least one of my elements. I started using Hwannins armor on my mercenaries because of the triggered static field and the +100 to life, but after the first few times a cold using monster turned my mercenary into ice cubes I rethought my strategy and got an armor that prevents being frozen.

Tempest-Knight’s gear.

I’m not a rich player and I rarely trade. Most of the stuff I use I found myself. I got the Viper Magi from norm Baal. I got lucky horking stuff with my barbarian character and got an Ist (the only one I’ve ever found ever since the game came out). The Um I got from nightmare hell forge. Got lucky in a hell game (thank you who ever it was that made him pop) and Milady and I killed Uber Diablo to get the anhilus charm.

I used Hel Wiz Spike, Tal Belt, and a few dex charms for a while but didn’t like it.

My switch set at high level is a wand that has level 2 lower resist charges and the old Ancients Pledge. When I find a Moser’s I’ll stick 2 p diamonds in it and put it in my switch set instead.

The only monster I ever had any real trouble with was gloams. Their lightening passed through my barb and still hit me, which sucked down my mana way too fast even guzzling blues. (Poor old Torkel isn’t smart enough to serpentine. He charges the gloams in a straight line.) My Barb died shortly there after as he no longer had my support. My mana regenerated fast enough to teleport out and town portal but it was still ugly. My Barbarian stops all (or most all, if I play it right) the other elemental casting monster’s projectiles. Doom knights and a few of the witches suck a little when they hit my barb with Iron Maiden. I have to keep teleporting and casting damage spells to keep poor old Torkel from killing himself.

Here’s the gear I actually used to complete my build….

Gear:

Hat-P topaz Harlequin Crest
    Amulet-25 Maras Kaleidoscope
    Weapon-Ist Oculus
    Armor-Um 12/33 Viper Magi
    Shield-P diamond Lidless Wall
    Gloves-Mage Fists
    Ring-Bahamuts of the apprentice (106 mana, 10 FCR)
    Belt-Snow clash
    Ring-Shimmering of the apprentice (+7 resist all, 10 FCR)
    Boots-Silk Weave
    Charms-113/12/32 Gheeds fortune, 3 - 50+ mana grand charms, +1 Fire skills grand charm of greed, 12/15/7 anhilus, with a few small resist charms and a few small mf charms

Tempest-Knight’s stats at level 82

Strength – 107
    Dex – 49
    Vitality – 381/ Life – 1006
    Energy – 84/Mana – 629

When I play with Milady’s frenzy Barb and she uses her battle orders I have over 2 k life and over 1.3 k mana.

Resists in hell diff

Resistance/Normal/Switch Set
    Fire/50/75
    Cold/46/70
    Lightening/53/75
    Poison/45/74

Cold is a little low but the snow clash has absorb.

Main Skills

Spell-Level
    Fireball-32
    Meteor-32
    Glacial Spike-33
    Blizzard-32

Torkel’s gear.

Gear-High Level
    Hat-Tal Rasha’s Horadric Crest
    Weapon-Ethereal cruel executioners sword of butchery. I got lucky and got 2 sockets and put Amn in both.
    Armor-Ethereal Duriel’s Shell with 33% ED jewel socketed.

When I find a decent Steel Skull I’ll P topaz it and try that instead.

PVP

I’m not much into dueling but this should work fairly well as a dueler. I used a very similar build in 1.09 as a dueler and did fairly well against every thing except amazons that had dueled me previously. I had the most trouble with amazons of course, but I could cast Blizzard off the edge of my screen (slightly longer range than Guided) and could Fire Ball them out of existence before they got close enough to Slow Missile me.
  2. wise_man

wise_man IncGamers Member

For starters: everything I say here is IMHO.

1) Your Blizzard is too weak as a main skill, due to only 1 in CM.

2) Having a cold main delay spell with only 1 in (the most wonderfull skill) CM is almost a crime. I'm afraid DClone will laugh at you for this.

3) Ice Blast is better then Glacial Spike as a secondary cold skill. It gives a lot more damage at the reasonable price of freezing only 1 monster at a time. Moreover, while Blizzard adds to Ice Blast damage, it only adds to Glacial Spike freeze time.

4) My suggestion for getting more points in CM is to switch to Fire Wall + FM in the fire tree. It gives nice damage, not that hard to aim like many claim, perfect for numerous moat tricks on CI's, and finally cheaper in skill points. My Balance is at 15 CM and 10 FM, but that's not sacred.

5) 1 point in Static Field can never hurt. VERY good bargain for 1 skill point due to relativly high demage (although only upto 50% in hell), and due do being a lightning damage (for dual-immunes).

6) 1 point in frozen armor can never hurt. Makes teleporting (to meph, baal, ...) a bit safer.

That's all folks. :yep:
  3. Slayaboxer

Slayaboxer IncGamers Member

hmm unless u wanna stay in nightmare forever, you need 1 of the 2 things wit this build

1. have anny + 10 cold gcs or fire gcs and ultra godly perfect facets on all ur gears

2. Ditch 1 tree and focus on the other one (eg. Ditch fire and get pure blizzard or ditch cold and focus on fire)
    - U need to max CM to or else ur blizzard is way too weak. And fire wont be hella strong either.
  4. Miladys-Knight

I started out with a pure fire sorc Barbie-Que, and at level 82, when I had to play against Fire immunes by myself it was ugly (think hell countess run). I had to sit and wait for my barb to make the kills or teleport past them into the unknown. This was some times ugly. Thats why I tried this. My fireball and meteor damage was good on Barbie-Que when I had her fire skills at M(20), FBall(20), FM(1) (she really rocks now with her FBolt(20), FBall(20), M(20) and FM(20) even with the secondary gear I gave her when I gave Tempest the best stuff I had).

The blizzard / fireball as I have it set up actually works really well as a combo against non-fire / cold immune monsters. The blizzard slows and damages them and then the fireball rips em up (on occasion I'd throw in a glacial spike for the ice cube factor but it moves slower than fireball). Best of all it slows and starts to kill them when they are still at the edge of the screen.

Against Fire Immunes (imagine a swarm of, say 6, hell carvers from act 1) the Blizzard started to damage them and then the Glacial Spike held the entire group motionless. My merc was very effective at turning them into ice cubes long before the straight damage would kill them and they never even got to lay a torch on him.

I didn't waste a point on static since I never ever get close enough, for long enough, to use it. Nor did I waste one on frozen armor since I got it free with the snow clash.

She tele'd Meph just fine. If you hug the left wall as you teleport around only 50% of the possible monsters can get you (since the other 50% of the space is filled with wall) and your merc is right there with you. It was never a problem for me with the 1000+ life. Meteor works better than fire wall for the moat trick (yes I've tried both) since meteor's area is wider than firewall and you can meteor / fireball with out risk if you name lock. The few times I was still a bit too close my high life total and absorb on snow clash were enough to take 1 (but only 1) of meph's cold orbs. It was still enough to back up, heal, and reposition.

Also remember that this build is complete at level 81. Which still leaves a few relatively easy to get skill points to put into the mastery of your choice.

I never built this sorc to take on Dclone solo and the one and only time I did get him (since the patch came out) I had a barb friend of mine help me take him out. Took us about 2 1/2 minutes but neither of us died even once.

She worked really good in the pits and in the ancient tunnels also.
  5. wvx_leader_returns

wvx_leader_returns Banned

Guide looks descent but I think another version is neccessary.
  6. 6soulkeeper6

6soulkeeper6 IncGamers Member

GJ it sounds like a fun build to make and a good guide as well :thumbsup:
  7. Rowdy

Rowdy IncGamers Member

Cold Mastery Question

Warning: I'm long-winded. :]

Hello. I've been lurking here for a couple of months. I've owned Diablo II since, oh, shortly after it came out, however many years ago that was. I only played it every few months, bringing a character to about level 30 and getting bored, but for the last year or so I've been playing almost non-stop.

Problem is, I'm the type of guy who insists on building characters that seem like a lot of fun, but don't stand up in higher difficulties. I'm also very fickle, and I sometimes switch to another class before I can bring one character to a challenging level. As a result, I have only been into Hell difficulty twice, and even then, I've only made it to Act I. The first time was on an old, doomed 1.09 necromancer, but the second time was very recently on a sorceress.

I had finally decided to build a character that would be powerful enough to take me through the entire game solo, when necessary. (I only play single player characters because I hate the idea of my hard-earned levels and equipment being deleted if I choose not to play that particular character for some time. I do, however, play TCP/IP games with several friends.) My build was simple: max blizzard, cold mastery, meteor, and fire mastery, with points in the "utility skills," as I've heard them called (teleport, static field, and warmth).

It seemed like a good idea at the time, however when you're in Act I Hell running in circles for five minutes, dropping meteors in front of you and blizzards behind, because a horde of minions plowed right through your mercenary, it's easy to feel like something of a failure. Without a tank in my party, I was quite useless in many situations, and that was reason enough for me to look for another build.

Hang on, I'm going somewhere with this.

I came back to this forum and noticed this guide. It seemed to solve one of my main problems, which was that I didn't have a left-click spell, like glacial spike or fireball. But what really appealed to me is the use of synergies. I could increase my skills' damage by a greater interval than their own masteries provide, and double the amount of skills I had! This guide seems to me like the way to go, but the criticism of the lack of cold mastery is worrying me, and has raised a new question about how cold mastery works.

I understand that cold mastery decreases monsters' cold resistances, but my question is this: Doesn't this have the same effect as the other masteries, essentially increasing the damage the monster will take by a certain percent? In figuring the actual damage of a cold skill, can't I just apply the percentage at which cold mastery decreases a monster's resistance as an increase in the percentage of my skill's damage? How does taking 25% off of a monster's resistance differ from increasing my own damage by 25% and leaving the resistance on? Won't the monster take the same damage in either case? If so, why not do as this guide suggests and place only one point in cold mastery and use synergies to increase damage by a greater interval? What am I missing here?

Any help would be appreciated, and sorry for the long post. I thought I'd introduce myself a bit. :]
  8. melianor

melianor D3 Wizard Moderator

Hello Lurker :howdy:

Decreasing resistances will usually result in more damage than just the percentage by which the respective resistance is decreased. Reason for this: Resistances can go to -100% (which is the cap). So effectivly with Cold Mastery at a decent lvl (about 17) you will be able to reduce cold resistance of most monsters to -100% by which you suddenly will do double damage, although the lvl at which your killing spell is has not changed ;)

Reducing resistances is always superior compared to adding +xx% damage since that added damage is resisted in some amount again. Ofcourse adding both +xx% damage and -xx% resistance is even far more superior ;)

Also the reason why you will rather invest hard skill points into synergies than into Cold Mastery is that Cold Mastery lvl and effect can be raised through +skills, but synergies added % damage can ONLY be raised by adding hard skill points and not through added +skills fomr items!

@Myladys-Knight: A very nice build inbetween :) Finally a Fire/Cold variant with Blizzard and not Frozen Orb. I find the tactics of using Blizzard or Frozen Orb very different and its refreshing to play differently with a Cold tree spell!
  9. wise_man

some figures that might clear melianor explanation (not that it wasn't a clear explanation):

assume monster resistance of 75, and attack damage of 1000.
    damage with (-75%) res: 1000 * (1-0) = 1000
    damage with (+75%) damage: (1000*1.75) * (1-0.75) = 1750*0.25 = 437.5

less then half !
  10. Jek

Jek IncGamers Member

Just did some SP testing... This build is absolutely wonderful! The "weak" blizzard is really kicking when combined with Fire Ball spam. I love it. :D

My SP testchar is like my 100% blizzard sorc on 'roids. :D

:clap: :winner:

Hrm. Now I got three chars to consider for the next season. :scream:
  11. Demppa

Demppa IncGamers Member

It's great that somebody made a guide about this. Maybe you don't believe, but I started a sorceress with the same idea (blizzard/meteor/fireball) 3 days before I read this guide. Chill them and kill them!

-Demppa
  12. mEtaLL1x

mEtaLL1x IncGamers Member

Hmm this is very interesting. A good build.

The only problem of this build is that CM is not maxxed first. CM is MUCH better than any of the synnergies, of that I'm sure. I think many people think that CM is the same as FM in nature, but it's completely different. FM is worse than synnergies, so only 1 point will suffice.

Hmmm, i still think that Blizzard kills more slowly than Orb (in case of FI)... and I don't like to trust my merc too much...

btw, is it me, or Act5 and Act2 have almost the same health. If so, then Act2 is better.
  13. Miladys-Knight

Well just to reiterate a few thoughts.

1. Cold mastery is with out doubt a nice skill but it gains bonuses from + skill items, the synergys are gained only with applied skill points. With the gear I used (all of which is fairly easy to come by) my cold mastery was at 10 which is respectable (and this for a single skill point). The goal for cold mastery stated in the meteorb build guide is 17 meaning that I was a mere 7 off of that goal.

2. The synergy skills are usable as attacks. Cold mastery is not.

3. This build gives a decent delay and spam spell in 2 elements giving you an effective means of killing monsters if they are immune to one of your trees and ripping them to shreds is they are immune to neither.

4. This build is complete at level 81 which gives you 9 more fairly easy to get skill points to place in the mastery of your choice (you could easily get your cold mastery to that golden level 17)

5. Since all of the main spells in this build are long range or capable of being used at long range I chose to go with high life total as opposed to max block and keep the monsters at the edges of the screen.

6. Since I'm not rich, and don't have the runes to make doom, I went with a high life leech Barbarian merc. I did that because the barbarian is more agressive which keeps the monsters farther from me, and since he can use a sword, Doombringer increases his max life, he hits often enough with it that the monsters stay cursed with weakness and Tal's mask and Doombringer gives him high life leech. The merc is a play style issue though and this is simply the route I chose .
  14. GPSRT

GPSRT IncGamers Member

Ok First off, I'd like to say I'm new to this forum as well... I've been reading for about a year now and never posted until a little while ago... I'm all hyped about LS2 (Ladder Season 2) and want to get a good sorc/necro/pal going to find some runes...

Your sorc is an EXCELLENT build with a few modifications as stated above... I won't go into further detail because it's really a matter of preference. The only thing I'd like to point out that I DON'T agree with is the Titaness. I personally love the titaness to start because her mana is low, her attacks are weak and with a necro friend (I always play with my bud who uses a necro :buddies: ) I've got lots of distraction, so I like to get down and dirty.

Every sorc needs her base str, dex, nrg (note I excluded vit). Dex is usually either extremely high, or none; Energy is usually extremely low (below 75 pts) or none at all; and finally strength is never more than you need to wear some tal stuff, and that's in the 80's area.

I like to get these out of the way first, because in normal, you don't really need the health as long as there's a distraction, plus, it's good practice to stay away from things for hell mode :) In this build, as suggested, there are no points in either energy or dex, so strength is the only secondary stat point guzzler.

So, lets get to the point... Dump ALL of your points into Strength to start, until you've got about 65 or 70 (to wear some sigon stuff with socketed saphires early on is pretty decent :idea: ) Once you reach this level, which is around clvl 12, when you get fireball, stop, and dump all points into vit from now on... use some charms if you want to get your str higher for other equiptment.

I have never seen anyone else do this before, so I hope I've opened up a few possiblities to some people :)
  15. cheap_trik

cheap_trik IncGamers Member

hmm..i was thinking what if you replace meteor with firebolt? I think this would do better because it would 1 save you a few points and 2 i dont think meteor is that important in your proposed build. So i did a little bit of homework and changed some stuff around. Played around with the equipment and this is what i came up with.

Skills
    Firebolt-20
    Fireball-20
    Meteor-5
    Firemastery-1

Icebolt-1
    Iceblast-20
    Frostnova-1
    Glacialspike-1
    Blizzard-20
    Cold Mastery-4

Staticfield-1
    Telekinesis-1
    Teleport-1

With this skill distrobution, you would lose meteor as a main killing spell, but i dont think you would use it much anyway. You already have 1 timered spell that you can spam the rest of your spells inbetween castings. If you think you would use meteor against fire immune monsters, i would ask you what is FI in hell that a 5k-ish fireball and a decent merc cant take down in a few seconds. You would also save 3 skill points, effectively finishing the build sooner, or using them to get a cold armor. Also, you are not loosing any Fireball damage from using Firebolt as the synergy instead, because it adds the same 14% as meteor. Also, you would get Iceblast as a kill spell instead of Glacialspike. I agree with Wise_man here. I would much rather have a spam-able kill spell in the cold tree than have a spam-able "hold the monsters there for my merc to kill them" skill. Besides, if you are only using Glacialspike to freeze those monsters, maxing it will do you almost no good because all extra skill points do is increase the freeze length, not the radius. So you can still use it to hold down Lister and his pack if you really wanted to.​

You would be finished at lvl 84 which is attainable through hell baal's. You could also choose to take your character up further into the 90's when you would either add to CM or Meteor, depending on if you want a stronger Firebolt, or want some more power with Blizzard against Monsters like Mephisto to reduce his cold resist even further.​

Gear
    Helm-Shako(mine is 5/5 fire faceted :drool: ) - +2skills
    Armor-Chains of Honor - +2 skills
    Weapon-Heart of the Oak - +3skills
    Shield-Sanctuary
    Ammy-Tals ammy - +2 skills
    Belt-Arachnids - +1skill
    Ring1-SoJ - +1skill
    Ring2-SoJ - +1skill
    Gloves-Magefist - +1fire skills
    Boots-Silkweaves or Waterwalks
    Charms-Anni - +1skill

With my gear, i would achieve +13 to skills, with an additional +1 to fire skills(magefists). This would get CM up to 17 for those monsters with resists. That takes care of THE big problem the build you originally proposed had.

..that was longer than i originally planned it to be, but i think it will help this build along. Good luck for everyone thats trying it, and Good Luck climbing the ladder. GOGO USEast!!
  16. Kyo

Kyo IncGamers Member

It funny how all the initial postngs of how this build is too weak and the blizzard isn't strong enough and this that and the other etc.

Probably be a good idea to go out trying this before commenting. As i was just as surprised how effective this build was.

Good Job :thumbsup:
  17. wise_man

1) How many players were in the game when you tried it?

2) Have you tried against monsters with high CR (e.g. hell meph)?

3) Did you try the alternative I suggested for comparison?

It is not a bad build, but I believe that the down-sides I mentioned ARE true, and I think the build I suggested IS better.

I admit I didn't give it a try myself. I judged it according to simple math combined with my experience. I could be wrong.
  18. Okima

Okima IncGamers Member

My own version

Wow, this is also what I was working on before the ladder reset, and is also my first sorc in new ladder.

Like others here, I have my own modifications to this build, which I've nicknamed the Blizzball sorc.

Skills
    Firebolt 20
    Fireball 20
    Warmth 1
    Firemastery 1+

Icebolt 1
    Iceblast 1+
    Frostnova 1
    Glacialspike 20
    Blizzard 20
    Cold Mastery 5-7

Staticfield 1
    Telekinesis 1
    Teleport 1

Now, overall this isn't as flexible in attacks like Milady, you really only have Blizzard and Fireball to kill, and spike to freeze where needed.

Here my reasons on the changes from what other people have made:

Glacial Spike - Not as powerful, but freezes a group. This is mostly used in Hell, where I use it to freeze a group still so Blizzard can do the killing. The important part is the group attack to stop a swarm of enemies.

Firebolt - By not going to meteor, I'm saving 3 points which I can use to strengthen FM or add points to iceblast to increase Blizzard dmg even more. In the whole fire tree, I have no wasted points in pre-reqs.

Merc - I'm in favor of the HF merc. Enemies attack slower = less damage to merc and to me

Telekenesis - For FI/CI enemies, use Telekenesis. You can just spam it, and there's a chance of knockback. During the knockback, they are stunned and it's great for disabling the boss while your merc does his thing. I use this all the time for the Countess, just pin her to the wall, and the merc doesn't get hit, which kills her fast since the merc is not interrupted or goes into hit recovery. Despite what the summit says, the knockback/stun seems to work on normal sized superuniques.

Edit: The plusses in the skill lists are where extra points will go.
  19. wjandrews

wjandrews IncGamers Member

One MAJOR advantage of this build over Meteorb is that Blizzard and Glacial Spike is much, much better at crowd control than orb. Frozen Orb is great for taking out small numbers of monsters, but I found that my MeteOrb sorc was having a hell of a time getting rid of bigger hoardes. Since frozen orb relies on the damage per bolt, in bigger crowds, less bolts were hitting the monsters meaning the same overall damage was done, but it was spread very thin. With blizzard, this just isn't a problem.

Personally, I think this build is a much more viable multi-element beast than the classic Meteorb.

Also:
    The reason to go with meteor over firebolt (in my opinion) is that a typical spamfest for me went like this:
    Fireball stuns them or at least keeps them from running at me full speed, then meteor slams into them while the fireballs/merc knocks them back, resulting in much more possible damage than I had with just firing straight fireballs/firebolts. Meteor/fireball may take 3 more points than meteor/firebolt, but it gives you twice as many powerful offensive spells you can use in the fire tree. Plus meteor rules for boss running and moat tricks and so forth.

As for only 1 point in cold mastery, I don't think you would be getting the most bang for your skill point buck there. I usually want to throw in at least 7 points to the all important cold mastery because it's oh so much better than, say, fire mastery.

Third thing: I'd rather have glacial spike than any other cold skill. The mass freezing effect is just too handy, especially considering that the freeze duration on hell monsters can be rather short. Less damage than iceblast per target, but ultimately better for crowd control, which is what I consider to be one of the weakest points of the MeteOrb build and my favorite point of this (imo) superior alternative.

I think spending points in dexterity is a waste no matter what for a sorc. If you are in melee range enough that blocking is essential to your survival then you're doing something wrong or you need to get yourself a sturdy merc. The attacks that hit me the most are the ones that can't be blocked (unless of course you're a dc assassin). As an MFer the most "blocking" I did was against Meph's nasty little ice ball suprise, and a little bit of sidestepping saved me the trouble of over 100 points in dex. Again with the melee thing, I was never close enough to Meph that blocking his attacks were a problem (especially since getting a face full of the charged bolt attacks is a very unpleasant thing). My first meteorb sorc wasted a lot of points in blocking that I rarely ever used.

Final shield verdict is: Just say no. Shields are for resists, or maybe nice little utility bonuses (like damage to mana). The points you spent in blocking are points you could have spent in vitality that will more than make up for the HP you would have lost from melee attacks that you can just avoid altogether and help balance out the really hard to dodge ranged attacks. The other BIG advantage of vitality is that the more hits that don't stun you the better. Getting stun or block locked just plain sucks.

Finally, energy. I spent 20+ points in energy making my first meteorb sorc and I think it actually paid off. Sure, you can glug mana potions, but the more total mana you have, the longer you can continuously cast without having to wait for a potion to very...very...gradually...bring your mana up or without having to gulp somewhat expensive rejuv pots. With extra points in energy your base mana will be strong enough that you wont have to wait till you can get some really good gear to kick some arse and take names. Though you could choose to see it as a "short term benefit" I think that the wider mana pool is a very long term benefit indeed and as long as it isn't too overdone is a necessary investment for any new account and a very desirable one for any established account.

The main philosophy I try to abide by for spellcasters is that a spellcaster should not be totally dependant on great gear. Items dont have to be your lifeline - and this build makes that a lot more possible than the comparable Meteorb. My only real suggestion over the original guide is to dump more points in cold mastery for a damage boost that is much more valuable than any synergy and not spend many points in fire mastery.

If you actually read all this, you earned yourself a cookie...and a beer. :drink:
  20. Miladys-Knight

Ok how do I collect?