Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Murphy's Law - US Govt. caught again

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Dark Matter, Oct 21, 2004. | Replies: 15 | Views: 559

1. Dark Matter

Dark Matter IncGamers Member

Murphy's Law - US Govt. caught again

For those of you who don't know (and I am sure most of you do) Murphy's Law states that anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.

If you drop a piece of buttered bread, it always falls butter side down, UNLESS you deliberately drop it to prove Murphy's Law, in which it won't!

The US is about to bring in chipped passports that BROADCAST (on command) an individual's name, address and digital photo to a computerized reader.

Identity theft is the fastest rising white collar crime in the UK. I expect that the USA also suffers from it. How long do you think it will take criminals to get hold of a reader to snatch your identity as pass through an airport?

Source
    There's more info if you click the link. I only pasted the first few paragraphs.
  2. The nameles one

The nameles one IncGamers Member

I'd say 2 weeks after the chips will be in widespread use. It will happen very fast anyways.
  3. Deathwing

Deathwing Banned

Wait... you're questioning the U.S government? I'll see you in Guantanamo Bay, you goddamn terrorist. Next you'll be saying that harassing foreign journalists is wrong.
  4. DrunkCajun

DrunkCajun Banned

Sounds like a business opportunity if I've ever heard of one. Lead-lined passport holders?

"Protect yourself from identity theft! Over 200,000 US business travellers had their information stolen from them RIGHT FROM THEIR OWN PASSPORTS!!! *dramatic/"I can't believe that" music* Did you know that the US Government installs microchip transmitters in your passports in order to more easily read your information at customs? That might make it faster for them, but it also makes it faster for the criminals. *cue shot of sketchy looking guy peering around corners in airports* The technology has been pirated, allowing any common thief access to your passport number, where you've been, and your address and personal information!! Protect yourself now before its too late! For $19.95 you can have the cutting edge in business travel technology, our special lead-lined, pocket sized Passport Protector! Designed especially for the businessman or woman by Italian designers, this leather bound case goes great with any briefcase or travel bag! It conviniently holds your credit cards, drivers license, and your billfold! Never leave home without it again! Order now and we'll send you your choice of brown, navy blue, or black, and if you call in the next 5 minutes, we'll send you our FREE lead-lined, leatherbound matching business card holder, a $40 value! That's our designer patented Passport Protector AND our special matching business card holder, all for the low low price of $19.95. Order now and protect yourself and your family forever!"
  5. Geeno

Geeno IncGamers Member

Oh my god.

Im going to read this article one more time before I say anything...

edit: Two words:

First word: one syllable

Second word: Two syllables.

Clue: he may be a member of your family.
  6. The nameles one

I read the article... Seems unhealthy to me... All your personal data in a small chip sounds very dangerous in the hands of criminals.
  7. LunarSolaris

LunarSolaris IncGamers Member

I'm gonna buy one of them lead-lined passport protectors that DrunkCajun talks about...
  8. theBlackKnight

theBlackKnight IncGamers Member

*will never leave the country civilian style again*
  9. The nameles one

[SARCASM]Or even better; Dont leave the contry! I dont want any of you americans spreading around you know. [/SARCASM]
  10. dantose

dantose IncGamers Member

so what are they going to do with your name, address and picture that they couldn't do with a phone book and a digital camera?

They can't really do much of anything with out your social anyway.
  11. Geeno

Geeno IncGamers Member

The part about criminals concerns me the least. The fact that the government(s) can get all your information upon sight of you is what really freaks me out.
  12. maccool

maccool IncGamers Member

This chip seems a bit redundant to me. My passport has a bar code on the inside of the back cover. When I go through immigration, the dude scans my passport as part of the process.

Sorta makes me think that this chip will do a bit more than what they said it will do. Nah, I trust my government; they wouldn't do anything hinky.
  13. kernelpops

kernelpops IncGamers Member

I think we are ignoring the biggest flaw in the story. This is suppose to protect America from terrorists, yet only American passports are required to have this.

Where is the security? The rest of the world will know who Americans are but this is nothing to make Americas borders safer.
  14. rplusplus

rplusplus IncGamers Member

That would be the first step... then to come to America and travel around you would need a visitors pass.

Embedded chips are going to be very widespread in the next 2-5 years. The military is almost at 80% now and will be 100% by years end. No chip, No access period.

:spy: Big brother is alive and well and coming to your home soon.

Muahahaaa

Tin foil hat anyone?

R++
  15. DurfBarian

DurfBarian IncGamers Member

Go watch Minority Report again. The retinal scans as you walk past billboards, enter trains, come home. Oh goody, it's on the way!
  16. rplusplus

rplusplus IncGamers Member

I just want a toilet that senses my butt and prepares for a courtesy flush. :clap:

R++