Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

MP Ports guide & Technical Issues Help Thread

Discussion in 'MP Forum' started by LODjunkie, Jan 6, 2010. | Replies: 19 | Views: 23724

1. LODjunkie

LODjunkie IncGamers Member

MP Ports guide & Technical Issues Help Thread

so, I was lookin through the forums, the stickies, the FAQ's and everywhere else I could think to look... I even tried the 'search' button... I know, weird right?
    Anyway, I thought it would be nice to have a guide, with pictures, of what to do and how to set up a router for MP game play.

ok, on with the guide.

The 1st thing we have to do find out what your LAN IP is. The easiest way to do this is Start>connect to>show all connections
    http://i779.photobucket.com/albums/yy75/drevTL/lan.jpg
    As you can see, on the lower lest side tells you the IP is 192.168.1.101

Now that we have our LAN IP, we need to get in to the router so we can start to open and foward some ports.

open your browser and type in 192.168.1.1 ( this is usually the default ip of a lan)
    That should bring up the prompt for your router/modem

This is all based on the assumption that you actually know the password to get in, which I hope you do. If not, go beg your parents to let you in, or have them read this guide and open the ports for you.

Ok so once your in, you need to find the your 'Port Forwarding' page/tab. Here's Mine.
    http://i779.photobucket.com/albums/yy75/drevTL/singleports.jpg

Notice that there are only 2 ports that you need to have open - 6112 and 4000 - Heres the port info from Blizzard

Diablo II:

- Allow port 6112 TCP out and allow established sessions in

- Allow port 4000 TCP out (realm games)

- Allow port 4000 TCP out and in (hosting open games only)

So you go down to an empty Line and start pluggin away numbers

6112 in both external and internal ports
    Make sure that the protocol is set to both.

In the 'To IP Address' tab, make sure the last 3 match you last 3 from your LAN
    http://i779.photobucket.com/albums/yy75/drevTL/lan.jpg
    Mine was 101 so thats what I put there.

Make sure to check mark the 'enable' boxes ( you laugh but Ive forgotten before )
    Then save

Now, your router should be open minded now and allow packets in thu the game ports that we need.

Now while were here, we might as well get out WAN IP ( the IP your ISP gives you) too.. Somewhere on your router page there should be a 'status' tab/page click on it and look for IP address, Mine looks something like this.
    http://i779.photobucket.com/albums/yy75/drevTL/WANip.jpg
    Thats the IP you want to have if you want people to join your games.

1 more thing to do...Config the Windows Firewall...Personally, I dont use it, But ive got 2 other firewalls workin, but thats me...

ok so this is how we 'open' windows, so to speak xD

you need to make sure you have Admin Access go to Control Panel > Firewall > Exceptions(on the tabs at the top)

Now once your there, look for Diablo, you never know it might be there...

If its not, at the bottom, click 'Add Program'> click the browse button and navigate your way to your D2 install dir to the diablo.exe and hit ok.
    You can always add the ports manually too, by clicking the 'add ports' button jsut put d2 or daiblo in for the name and then add the port 6122. Then you have to so it again for port 4000 too.

That should be it...At least, it worked for me.

Anyway, if you have any questions or concerns let me know and I'll do my best to help you out.

Thanks for the read, and good luck.

LOD-
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2010
  2. mattinm

mattinm IncGamers Member

Re: MP Ports guide

From the MP FAQ:
    That pretty much explains where to go and how to setup your computer and ports for MP. You've just got to follow the links, and portforward is even likely to have your router on file so you can see specific images. You choose Router => Application (in this case Diablo II) and then it tells you exactly how to set up port forwarding on your exact hardware.

However, the little addition about firewalls is good. Sometimes people just forget to allow applications to access certain ports, even if the network is setup. Or you can just misread your IP address. Just ask omg :p.

Also, if anyone really has questions or concerns it should probably be in the Technical Issues thread stickied in the MP sub-forum (or through PM, I guess). And I'm not entirely sure this shouldn't be in the MP sub-forum anyway. Seems like the people who would need a guide to set up ports for multiplay would first check the MP section.

All-in-all, I'm glad you were able to get it all setup, and hopefully this helps someone else. Sometimes we overlook things, and something that explicitly states "MP Ports Guide" might save someone a little time.
  3. pharaoh

pharaoh IncGamers Member

Just a pointer for people using Windows (WinXP, anyways) and having trouble hosting: make sure the built-in Windows 'firewall' (I use the term loosely) is disabled or the necessary ports are open. If you're behind a router, this will block incoming connections anyways (unless you open the ports for them), so the built-in firewall is largely pointless. If you think it's been disabled, but are still having hosting troubles, check it again. The other day I found it had mysteriously been enabled on one of my machines, and the best guess I have is that one of the Windows updates decided to 'helpfully' enable it for me.
  4. nepeta

nepeta IncGamers Member

I've never experienced any problems with windows XP firewall. You sure pharaoh?
  5. pharaoh

pharaoh IncGamers Member

Well, as I'm behind a router, I turn it off whenever I install XP (and tell Windows that I have 'a firewall solution that I will monitor myself', so it doesn't nag me about the imminent doom threatening my machine). For some reason, it was enabled on one of my machines. Either I forgot to disable it, or it somehow was re-enabled. Given that I keep disk images of my machines, making actual 'from scratch' installs a very rare occurrence, and that I've hosted on the machine in question since the last time I needed to reinstall, I expect that it was re-enabled. Also, MS (with Windows in particular) seems to have a habit of second-guessing your decisions, and trying to do things 'in the best interests of the user', whether or not the user agrees, so I figure it's not unlikely for them to do this 'helpful' enabling.

And yes, I know I could open the ports on the Windows firewall, but that's not the point. :)
  6. LODjunkie

Well, windows firewall isnt a 'great' firewall but it does a great job at stoppin in-bound traffic, not so much the outbound. Which is why some people will have some problems. Its very intuitive on program install, allowing it on its own. But sometimes it wont. Like I said, personally, I dont use it either. Since all routers have built in firewalls, and are generally better than windows.

I swear I looked everywhere for info on setting this up all over, I even re-read the MP FAQ twice. hopefully this will help a few more that had looked like I did and missed it.

edit - I just seen that small tid bit of info in the MP FAQ, maybe thats why I missed it. hopefully this will help few more in settin it up, at least point them in the right direction
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2010
  7. mattinm

mattinm IncGamers Member

From the SPF FAQ:
    Images load plenty quick on my netbook, but reading the post while having to scroll all over the place can be difficult.
  8. LODjunkie

fixed, sry

9. skiffcz

skiffcz IncGamers Member

IIRC I had to turn of FW while hosting time to time (or every time, didnt host for ages)

More posts like this are always good, ty ;)
  10. Question

Question IncGamers Member

Re: MP Ports guide & Technical Issues Help Thread

When i host a TCP/IP game with nobody else in it, why is it that sometimes i still lag(monsters teleport around)?
  11. FreezBee

FreezBee IncGamers Member

Because it's still client/server, even if the client and the server are physically the same. I occasinally play tcp/ip games and have made the same observation, so I suppose that there is the same lag in updates from the server to the client as on bnet.

- FreezBee

12. Question

Question IncGamers Member

But if i ping myself the ping is zero so why is there lag?
  13. SnickerSnack

SnickerSnack IncGamers Member

I know this is old.....

Because ping is not a factor in self-mp games, but other sources of slowdown are. Not all lag is network lag.

14. Sighter Goliant

Sighter Goliant IncGamers Member

I have set up my port forwarding. I have disabled windows firewall. I have given my friend BOTH my WAN IP, the IP I get from whatismyip.org, and no luck. We have both tried Hamachi, and the IPs Hamachi gives us on our network do nothing. We have both connected to battle.net to make sure our versions have the same patch.

I'm at a loss. What do I do to connect TCP/IP?
  15. Thyiad

Thyiad Moderator Single Player, D2 Assassin, Barbarian

Let's try these options:

1) Normal Hosting
    - Both of you 'host' a LAN game and before you start the hosting, you'll see your internal IP on the screen at top
    - ipchicken or whatismyip will give you both your external IP
    - Are you both in the same house/on the same IP?
    - If yes, then has your router given you both internal IP addresses? (EG 192.168.1.x - x should be different for both of you)
    - if no, then does whoever is hosting have Diablo 2 LoD forwarded to their internal IP address? Your friend will need the EXTERNAL IP to connect!
    - Your internal WAN address will not necessarily be the same as the internal LAN address
    - Check that the host computer has Diablo 2 LoD forwarded to the correct WAN if you're using wireless - not LAN (wired)

2) Hamachi
    - Hamachi is usually fairly simple (although I don't like it)
    - If you are both using the same version of Hamachi and you are both using the correct Hamachi-IP's then that should go through
    - Can you send texts to each other over it?

My instinct is that if you're using WAN (wireless) and not LAN (wired) then your WAN settings are the issue.

You've already mentioned taking off the disaster that is Windows Firewall, have you got any other Firewall software running? Perhaps as part of an anti-virus? If so, drop that too.

I know you've probably done most of the above, but it doesn't hurt to start from the beginning. Usually something like this is the small "D'oh, aghhhh!" which is easily overlooked.

Hope that is of some help.

If no, try letting us know your operating system and router make; it might help. I've definitely hosted/played over WAN, so it's definitely possible.
  16. FredOfErik

FredOfErik IncGamers Member

Yeah, it has an IM system that lets you chat both individually and with your entire network.

I'm not sure why Thy doesn't like hamachi, but I really like it - only very rarely had troubles connecting with people via it.
  17. Thyiad

Thyiad Moderator Single Player, D2 Assassin, Barbarian

I know you can send IM's over it. I was asking if they able to do so. :)

Personally I prefer using 'proper' setups rather than Hamachi. It's just as simple as that. We've had a few Hamachi groups, but people leave, the channel gets full ...

I used to use Hamachi briefly a LONG time ago (was once the only way to transfer items because MSN was too slow ...) but I recall when installing a newer version there were a lot of security things which I didn't like. Can't remember what they were, but I have a lot of machines on my network with many things shared because I use them. Opening my network makes me iffy about that sort of thing.

YMMV.
  18. ZeroAffex

ZeroAffex IncGamers Member

I am not sure what my IP password is. I didn't make one for my router, so is it just my WSKP(or WPA, I can't remember lol) passcode? There is a password I have to enter into my devices like our laptop/ps3/xbox360/alienware to get access to our wireless network. Is this what I need or is it something different? Also, if its something different, can I call my cable company who provides my internet and they will give it to me? Sorry to bother!

-ZeroAffex
  19. coju

coju IncGamers Member

hiya! Look up 'default passwords' for your specific router number. Most are just admin/password. but some are admin/1234, user/passcode, etc.
    You'll recognize it once you see it!
  20. Goldtru

Goldtru IncGamers Member

I have a sticky Hamachi issue that I'm hoping you guys can solve. I've been playing mp with some folks on here, and we have a hamachi network. I am able to host games, but not join them.

When I pinged my friend, the ping went through, although to be honest I don't know what pinging means or what it does. I saw a long list of "replies from" his IP address, so it looked like it was working. We are able to chat over Hamachi, and he can join me with no problems. But when I try to join him, it won't connect.

Thoughts? Thanks.

EDIT: this problem was windows firewall and has been solved.
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2013