Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

movement speed/life--- vs --- damage/resists?

Discussion in 'Barbarian' started by godzilla99s, May 5, 2013. | Replies: 7 | Views: 3378

1. godzilla99s

godzilla99s IncGamers Member

I'm having a hard time deciding on a route with my barb...... the best boots i have offer 260 strength, 28 vitality, and 62 all resist,,,, but the ones i'm wearing have 12 % increased movement speed and 54 strength and 128 vitality.
    Now i have 31 k life and 120 k damage ,,, about 520 average all resists with the current setup.
    Is the movement speed that big of a deal? I don't care about farming speed and i'm not a full WW barb, but is it better to be faster and more robust, or more damage heavy and restists?
    any thoughts?
  2. BaronScarpia

BaronScarpia IncGamers Member

What do you mean with "not a full WW barb"? For WW, I believe you need to move fast between mobs to keep WotB up and running.

Life is easier for full WW barbs on low MP (past year alkaizer runs). ~40k life, ~400 AR, -4,5k armor, rest on DPS iirc. I don't remember how much attacks per second is necessary to keep it going.

Moldran uses a full WW barb wielding a Skorn that can farm MP10 (white mobs only). 50k life, 500AR, 5.5k armor, 150k damage and 1.33 APS. (iirc, 33-34% AS with a 1.00 APS skorn)
    500mi gold budget and breakpoints: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YAxOsfdfBg
    100mi gold budget shopping: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gdu2Zv2RqQ

I don't remember the "breakpoints" of HotA/Smash...

If you want to sit there using a random build (anything, without Sprint and perma-WotB) a lot of factors become relevant and survivability is more necessary, since your kill speed will be lower.

Without more information about your build and what you plan to do, all I can say for sure is that I wouldn't consider going outside without at least 12% Move Speed and 40k life.

If you use AH, look for stuff with STR and life% instead of vit. That usually brings the price down and can be better than 20-50 vit lost on some pieces. Looking for vit on the "wrong places" (ammy, rings...) can be helpful too.
  3. godzilla99s

godzilla99s IncGamers Member

I usually use WW just on big white mobs, otherwise seismic slam and cleave work fine. WOTB is set aside for uniques and such.
    30k life seems to get me by just fine with 700 LOH and 2.90 LL , my defense is 7k so it seems like i'm doing fine, but yes more life sounds like a good way to go.
  4. mojolevel

mojolevel IncGamers Member

It sounds to me like you don't value MS much at all, and since you aren't trying to perma-WOTB, jumping quickly between trash mobs isn't that important (never mind the fact that in 1.08 it's easier than ever, so MS is less of a requirement for perma-WOTB anyway). AND, since you aren't using WW 100% of the time, I personally don't see the benefit in worrying about it because your primary skills don't benefit from quick movement like WW does. I'd go for the gear that maximizes your damage and survivability.
  5. mortuus

mortuus Diablo: IncGamers Member

yeah movement speed is most important, otherwise u feel so slow and boring i prefer better speed then higher life and resists even if they are important also.
  6. mojolevel

mojolevel IncGamers Member

I guess that also begs the question of whether or not you value efficiency. Moving quickly IS important if you keep dying and have to continually retrace your steps :p

I don't think you necessarily feel slow if you're not used to having max movement speed, especially if you're playing solo (so you don't have party members sprinting ahead of you constantly), and with the new density changes, there's less open ground to cover at any one time anyway which helps hide how fast or slow you're moving between them.
  7. BaronScarpia

BaronScarpia IncGamers Member

There are a few things to consider, imo:

- While you're not engaged with mobs, usually your fury is going down;
    - Depending on your route, some places are really annoying (Watchtower lvl 1)
    - Depending on your build, it makes no difference sometimes (in my case, sometimes I WW between packs on high density areas to avoid engaging rare monsters alone, due to Brawler. I could live with 12 MS, since I don't use sprint or perma-wrath...)

I swap my rare boots and my budget Ice Climbers in and out, I couldn't conclude anything yet... At a certain point of gearing process I just went EHP crazy and now I'm farming for paragon levels, gems and gold...
  8. mortuus

mortuus Diablo: IncGamers Member

Yeah true gotta find balance to be quick and not die as often, i have terrible bad item drops so i cant upgrade much but mp8 with good players usually i can go fine.