Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Movement and attacking must be possible to bind to different keys! o

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by galzohar, Apr 24, 2012. | Replies: 28 | Views: 4297

1. galzohar

galzohar IncGamers Member

Movement and attacking must be possible to bind to different keys!

I could find one blue post on this topic here:
    http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/4662316885?page=15#290

Notice the main topic of the thread is WASD controls there, but that's not at all what I'm talking about.

Currently, similar to Diablo 2 (but worse due to larger monster hitboxes), when you try to move but accidentally click near a monster, you will move to that monster and attack it with your "primary"/"left mouse" attack instead.

The only real solution to this is to allow us to disable any attacking done by left mouse button so that it is used for movement only. Currently there is a "move" button that you can bind, but since you can't bind primary attack to anything other than left mouse button, it doesn't help, unless you want to move purely with the keyboard, which I find quite awkward.

We basically need to be able to bind the left and right mouse button attacks to whatever keys we want! As seen in the blue post, that's something they're actually considering, so it would probably help if anyone with US forum access would contribute into bringing it to Blizzard's attention that this is actually important for many serious gamers who don't want to die because they accidentally clicked the huge monster's hitbox and attacked it instead of moved away to save their life.
  2. Apocalypse

Apocalypse IncGamers Member

Re: Movement and attacking must be possible to bind to different keys!

use the "move" button?
  3. galzohar

Like I said, that means you must move with your keyboard, which I find awkward. Binding "move" to left mouse would be cool, if I could bind the primary attack to the keyboard (or better, bind it to right mouse button and then bind secondary attack to the keyboard).
  4. Brokenstorm

Brokenstorm IncGamers Member

bind it to Ctrl+left click

5. galzohar

Do you really want to hold ctrl every time you want to move? I'm already a bit unhappy with holding shift when I want to be sure I will attack rather than move.

That said, with the current system I suppose binding to ctrl+left click would be best. Then again, I changed all my keys to the right side of the keyboard (since I use the mouse with my left hand), so while I could bind "force attack" to N instead of shift, I can't bind move to something like h+left click isntead of ctrl+left click. In any case, a real solution from Blizzard would be much better than the ctrl+click solution anyway.
  6. kayarxj

kayarxj IncGamers Member

I could bind the primary attack to the keyboard

7. Apocalypse

Apocalypse IncGamers Member

i do agree that bliz should give more options even if they are ones i would not use.

maybe bliz is afraid to change it since every change they make from d2 is met with much hate....just saying
  8. konfeta

konfeta IncGamers Member

My move is on a thumb button.

GET A MODERN MOUSEEEE!
  9. galzohar

I have a modern mouse. However I find it uncomfortable to use a thumb button for movement, especially with how the deathadder (and honest most other modern mice) are designed. Next thing you'll tell me is to use the mouse in the right hand because that's what most people find comfortable, right?

In any case, this isn't complaining about "you ruined something good that was in D2!", since D2 had this exact same problem. Only difference is in D3 they made targeting easier, which made this problem a bit worse. It's still the same problem, though. D2 didn't allow you to unbind the left-mouse attack away from left-mouse button (while still allowing you to move with left-mouse) as far as I remember.
  10. yovargas

yovargas IncGamers Member

Ditto.

Ditto.

But since I've mostly used it to make sure I walk towards that health globe and not ordinary moving around, I'm ok with it. But yes, better options would be, um, better.

11. Karpalo

Karpalo IncGamers Member

I think playing league of legends helped me greatly with D3 character control. You need to learn to use shift and move your mouse between attacks. I think the D3 character control and pathing( the way the character follows the mouse) was extremely smooth.

As a tip i can say that you will play better if you play without mouse acceleration. If you have it on it might take a while to get used to playing without it, but it's worth it.
  12. konfeta

konfeta IncGamers Member

You don't know how long it will take it for Blizzard to patch things in. Get comfortable with it (lord knows I had to to deal with Space Marine's PC version - had to bind melee to the thumb button, worked out just fine once I got used to it).

Besides, it's not like you need to constantly use the move key to move. Diablo's control scheme for moving works perfectly fine until you need to avoid attacking something, which should be the vast minority of your clicks.
  13. Spens

Spens IncGamers Member

My thumb moves the mouse, it does not click buttons. I don't understand how using thumb button doesn't ruin your mouse control

Why do I need a mouse with a dozen buttons when my keyboard has dozens more?

14. konfeta

konfeta IncGamers Member

Your thumb needs training in multitasking.

Well, the obvious answer would be to get around the limitation of Diablo 3's keybinding function. But you are not a boring man who indulges in common solutions?
  15. Spens

Spens IncGamers Member

Don't see the need to sacrifice control for some extra buttons when I've got dozens extra on my keyboard with a free hand to use them...

Hopefully D3 won't release with silly limitations to keybinding. Or perhaps it will, to encourage the purchase of modern mice such as the Steel Series Diablo 3 Mouse?

16. galzohar

Actually, checking out my Deathadder's driver software, it seems like I can shuffle the buttons around to get the desired result (well, almost, as I still have to bind my right-click/secondary attack to some less-accessible mouse button rather than keyboard, but it's not as bad as having movement on a less-accessible mouse button). So if Blizzard still has this messed up by release, I can at least do *something* that isn't totally awkward and uncomfortable.

You might not always need to use the "force move" button, but the times you do need it are exactly the times where you don't want to think about it nor have any time to think about it. When you're near dead and need to get away or reach that health globe, the last thing you want is to think "wait, I can't just move there, I must use my "special move key" now!" and die before you finish the sentence. Using only 1 key for movement is vital for quick reactions and being able to save yourself when your HP is low and the screen is full of monsters that want to finish you off.
  17. Daemonaz

Daemonaz IncGamers Member

Please do not suggest bind to right mouse button as it would ruin melee classes gameplay.

18. Jaago

Jaago IncGamers Member

I wholeheartedly agree that we should be able to separate the move/primary attack functions. It was maybe the most bothering thing for me in the little time I had to play the open beta.
  19. Eagle

Eagle IncGamers Member

I just bound the middle button to move. It was very rare for me to want to force move anyway.
  20. HardRock

HardRock IncGamers Member

I'm nitpicking here, but you're talking about hotspots, 2D areas on your screen where the game acknowledges that you clicked on a given object. Hitboxes are 3D areas where projectiles will hit objects. They're very different things.

I agree with your arguments however and I'm really happy that the devs seem to agree with them as well.