Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

More Islamic Fundamentalist Fun!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by SaroDarksbane, Mar 23, 2006. | Replies: 70 | Views: 3072

1. SaroDarksbane

SaroDarksbane IncGamers Site Pal

More Islamic Fundamentalist Fun!

Topic stolen from the WCIII OTF.

Story

And get ready for this one, it's a howler:

Since when is tolerance evidenced by the fact that you execute people who disagree with you? It's not exactly hard to be tolerant of people who conform to your views . . .

It's mind-boggling that someone could be so stupid.

2. maccool

maccool IncGamers Member

Maybe the guy just wants a pork chop sandwich and a beer.

3. HAMC8112

HAMC8112 IncGamers Member

Yeah, or a hot lesbian couple.

4. SaroDarksbane

Hey, they tolerate people of different sexualities (as long as they are straight), people of any religion (as long as that religion is Islam), and people of any political viewpoint (as long as you agree with them 100% of the time).

No one can say they're not a tolerant kind of folk over there.

5. alexzed

alexzed IncGamers Member

I'm guessing you're talking about republicans here?:shocked:

6. Eternium

Eternium IncGamers Member

I heard their view put this way: They're not killing him for being a Christian, but for leaving Islam. Had he been Jewish and converted, no one would have cared.

Hey, that's Sharia for you. For the 7th and 8th centuries, it was pretty good.

7. SaroDarksbane

Ba-dump TISH!

8. innorton38

innorton38 IncGamers Member

They're called "radical fundamentalists" for a reason. I'm not shocked by anything I hear anymore. That said, you will always hear about the crazy, fundamentalist Muslims. You will never read a news story about the average, normal Muslim but it's important to realize that they are the vast majority.

9. jmervyn

jmervyn IncGamers Member

Over there...

You forgot their openness towards sexual promiscuity (as long as it involves the punitive rape of a woman not wearing her head towel) and their support of children (as long as they're pre-teen females, aka houris, being married{?} off to old men like the Ayatollah Komeni).

10. jmervyn

jmervyn IncGamers Member

I think it depends on the region in question. Afghanistan & Saudi Arabia are by no means what Westerners would consider "normal", yet places like Iraq, Jordan, and Malaysia certainly could be. It isn't so much a question of their belief system as how bad their religious traditions have been colored by local & historical influences.

11. SaroDarksbane

I was more shocked by the "See? Look how tolerant we are by not executing him if he promises to conform!" statement than anything else.

That a person so bereft of any higher reasoning skills exists is beyond my power to comprehend. In my mind, such a person has, for all intents and purposes, ceased to be a human being. He's just a mindless zombie with the power to kill.

12. jmervyn

jmervyn IncGamers Member

Careful, Saro. Don't you remember how vilified I was for talking about "sub-humans" in this vein?

After all, everyone on the tolerant OTF knows that it is only terrorist Christians like myself who are really so abnormal & immoral. :grin:

13. alexzed

alexzed IncGamers Member

innorton has the right idea - I mean, you'll never hear of the normal ones. Pat Robertson advocates killing, and he's a fundamentalist. Ann Coulter advocates killing, and she's a fundamentalist. Bush advocates killing...and the list goes on. Bottom line is that we should compare apples to apples. We have our fruitcakes, so do they. Bush executed a man with an IQ of a 7 year old. Surely that does not show higher reasoning.

I just like to make sure it's not just the crazy fundamentalists over there who get the spotlight. I agree it's wrong...but remember, when you point a finger, you have three pointing back at you! :prop:

[edit: jmervyn - you beat me to it!]

14. innorton38

innorton38 IncGamers Member

I agree completely. I'm just not shocked by this type of "news story." In my mind, anyone (American, English, German, Iraqi...) that can use a long knife and cut off the head of another human being while they are screaming and begging for mercy is not a human being. They may, scientifically, be a homo sapien, but are far from being human.

I just worry that inflammatory stories like this serve to fan the flames of ignorance and intolerance.

Thank you Alex, that's what I was clumsily trying to say.

15. SaroDarksbane

Like I said, it wasn't even so much the proposed act as it was the irrationality of the statement that made me blink. I think you can advocate killing and still be a rational person (See: Death Penalty debates), but saying that you are tolerant when you are ready to execute someone for holding a different point of view is just incomprehensible to me.

The two you mentioned may advocate killing, but do they claim to be doing it out of tolerance for the beliefs of the victim?

16. alexzed

alexzed IncGamers Member

Yeah - that's nutty. No defending that kind of thought. But is this far off? "We should invade their countries, kill their leaders and convert them to Christianity." Could be argued to be the same...

meh - they're all nuts. I'm going to my log cabin in the woods and befriend the squirrels.

17. RevenantsKnight

RevenantsKnight IncGamers Member

I think you're misinterpreting what the quoted person means by "tolerance." Eternium is correct in that converting from Islam is punishable by death according to traditional Islamic schools of thought on law (well, at least some of them...I don't know if it holds true for all) and therefore I'm sure that they see such a conversion as a sin. In this case, then, "tolerance" refers to a tolerance of errors, of those who make mistakes but then repent. That has nothing to do with the accused's beliefs and religious freedom. The quoted person is not claiming to be tolerant of Christianity, as far as I've seen of this.

18. jmervyn

jmervyn IncGamers Member

Well, Coulter strives to be offensive to libs as possible (and can sell her product), and while Robertson is full of his own, er, hyperbole, he's far too mild to be regarded as a real militant. If you want to find a Westerner of any public note who held religious convictions of this type, you'd have to go back to someone like Richard the Lionheart.

" liberals love America like O.J. loved Nicole" :laughing:

19. SaroDarksbane

God, I hope you're right.

20. alexzed

alexzed IncGamers Member

Argh - I can't believe you tricked me into going to her website! (Frantically deletes history, dumps computer into soapy water and scrubs hands with lye...)

My point was that there are nutjobs everywhere, and rather than just pigeonhole an entire culture, have a look around.

Well, not necessarily...

There is significant evidence that the scope and scale of the manipulation, suppression and misrepresentation of science by the Bush administration is unprecedented... There is a well-established pattern of suppression and distortion of scientific findings by high-ranking Bush administration political appointees across numerous federal agencies. These actions have consequences for human health, public safety, and community well-being." (Union of Concerned Scientists, report, Scientific Integrity in Policymaking. 2004.)

Apples to apples!