Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Monopoly

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Merick, Mar 11, 2006. | Replies: 60 | Views: 2276

?

It's crimbo time so what's it going to be?

Poll closed Dec 26, 2007.
  1. Sleigh Bells

2 vote(s)
    6.5%
  2. Slay Baals

4 vote(s)
    12.9%
  3. Slay as much lager as possible and fall asleep on the sofa

17 vote(s)
    54.8%
  4. I could not give a monkeys.

8 vote(s)
    25.8%
  1. Merick

Merick IncGamers Member

Monopoly

I've always liked Monopoly (although I'm sure I've played more games of it on NES than against real people [damn you, Isaac]), and, like Starbursts, everyone has a favorite color. I like orange. It's so satisfying nailing someone leaving jail.
    Everyone also has a piece that they must use. I must say, I'm all about the dog.

Pieces
    Board

2. Cannon Fodder

Cannon Fodder IncGamers Member

Yellow all the way. Marvin Gardens was always my favorite name. Plus, if someone missed your spots you often had the pleasure of seeing them hit jail instead. Quite satisfying. And I don't quite know why, but I always liked the tophat.

3. Empired

Empired IncGamers Member

The green squares and, of course, the lucky hat.

The greens are fairly affordable, but they demolish the opposition with even a house or two. Plus they're stealthy killers, because everyone's too busy worrying about avoiding Park Place and Boardwalk to notice them.

4. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

I don't know how many people know this, but the standard American and British/Australian versions have different property names. At least I think the British and Australian versions are the same.

5. Empired

Empired IncGamers Member

It hadn't occurred to me, but it makes a lot of sense. So what do you like? Green and the hat?

6. PatMaGroin

PatMaGroin IncGamers Member

Green and the hat, wow we're twinkies!...

Anyway, I love when people miss Jail, miss boardwalk, and land on my greens. And they're easy to barter for too, esp if you get a blue.

7. Amra

Amra IncGamers Member

From a stastical standpoint, orange is the best monopoly to have. Merick touched on it when he mentioned the jail.

Plotting 2 6-sided dice on the standard bell curve shows that when someone gets out of jail, they will land on an orange property (usually Tennessee, I think). Thus, it generates more revenue than other properties.

God, I love that game. :grin:

oh, I am all about the car. :thumbsup:

8. Evrae Altana

Evrae Altana IncGamers Member

Blue and the dog. It's so fun having some guy land on your hotel on Boardwalk.

9. asdf

asdf IncGamers Member

railways. best bang for the buck, i'd say. at least, until you can afford to buy hotels.

10. CandidusMortis

CandidusMortis Banned

For some reason, I always want to get the Light Blue areas, than I move to conquer Orange and Green. I got the Anniversary edition from Christmas some time ago, so I always go for the Train.

11. Amra

Amra IncGamers Member

Anyone know if there is an online Monopoly game? If I weren't so lazy now I'd google for it.

12. PatMaGroin

PatMaGroin IncGamers Member

I'm sure there is, I wanna say Yahoo! has one.

13. Chameleon Boy

Chameleon Boy IncGamers Member

yeah Orange is my fav, then again i kinda got nerdy and searched the net a while ago to see what was best stats wise... wasnt suprised to see if was my fav... Orange :)

14. A C E

A C E Banned

I have always loved the railroads and the utilities for some reason and my peice of choice is the battleship!!!

15. Stoutwood

Stoutwood IncGamers Member

Railroads and utilities will win the game for you. I always use the car.

16. MegaFlame

MegaFlame Banned

Orange since I feel good about it, I don't know why lol.

17. Quietus

Quietus IncGamers Member

I always loved the small ones - I start with Mediterannean and Baltic (The purple ones at the start), and work my way clockwise. I like being able to afford to put houses/hotels up early, catches people unprepared in the early game. I think it's about $1,000 combined to put hotels on the purples, and a couple hundred every time someone lands on them. Tends to add up quick.

Also, I love me the iron. I dont' know why.

18. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

I usually go for the cannon, or failing that the Scotch Terrier or the iron. Middle choice would be the hat. The battleship is okay, but it doesn't make any sense (well, less so than the others any way). The wheelbarrow is the worst, followed by the thimble. No charisma at all.

As for properties, I just take whatever I can get. It doesn't matter so much where they are as how quickly you develop them.

19. blu3l1ghtn1ng

blu3l1ghtn1ng IncGamers Member

The green properties are basically some of the best to own mainly because their rent packs a punch, while they're affordable to buy and affordable to build hotels and houses on. Also there are three of them on an area of the board that does get travelled frequently.

The railroads are overrated in my personal opinion, mainly because they're too scattered, and they can never grow. Sure, the 200$ is good for the early rounds of the game, but once you get into having houses, hotels etc. it really is chum change.

Boardwalk and parkplace are ehhh to me mainly because they are way too expensive to do much with unless it really is far into the game. Costs a lot to own, and build houses own so it is not a personal fave.

Just my 2 cents.

20. SelfBaisResistor

SelfBaisResistor IncGamers Member

Exactly. In the end of the game its the best when people are coming out of jail. The 6, 8, 9 are the highest group of likely outcomes for the dice to roll, thus making the expected payoff quite substantial.