Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Monk Staple Skills

Discussion in 'Monk' started by Such Violent Storms, Apr 28, 2012. | Replies: 30 | Views: 3203

1. Such Violent Storms

Such Violent Storms IncGamers Member

Monk Staple Skills

For those unfamiliar, a staple skill is a skill that most builds will incorporate. This excludes very thematic builds that must use a bunch of different things to achieve their goal.

The initial, main 3 that jump out at me first are:
    1) Mantra of Conviction - Overawe
    2) Breath of Heaven - Blazing Wrath
    3) Deadly Reach - Foresight

These are easy all-around damage buffs, so most builds will use at least 2 if not all 3. Obviously, if 2 Monks are in your game, one would use MoC and the other would use one of the other Mantras.

As far as adding more, it gets tricky. Some may consider Sweeping Wind a staple, splashable skill -- it's easy to have the spirit before a fight, and in harder difficulties or versus bosses, the damage is constant and free.

In PvP, other skills come into play. In PvP, I would consider Serenity a staple; some would consider Seven Sided Strike, perhaps runed for Sudden Assault, a staple.

People have been posting builds for a long time, and excluding things like "WoL spam" or "tank monk," almost every build uses those top 3 skills -- and with good reason. You could even create a skeleton PvE build like this:
    http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#.b..Xk!!.c..ba

for ultra-noobs :D
  2. DoxieVon

DoxieVon IncGamers Member

Re: Monk Staple Skills

I'm not sold on Deadly Reach. I tend not to find room for it in most of my builds I've been laying out.

I would however say that every build should have Fist of thunder with the thunder clap rune OR dashing strike... OR maybe tempest rush... Mobility is one of the staples of diablo play, and is the biggest difference maker IMHO. I tend to love the spirit dump skills so i often only have 1 spirit generator so i often go with fist of thunder.

Also anyone in a group should pick up the guiding light passive to go with breath of heaven-blazing wrath.
  3. Karpalo

Karpalo IncGamers Member

Too early to call it with FoT. I think it's a good skill and best spirit gen available in beta, but way of the hundred fists might overtake it when it becomes available.

If we are talking PvE i would say that Breath of heaven and Sweeping wind are on my list, but interestingly enough neither of you listed SW.
  4. DoxieVon

Oh right I forgot that 100fist has that "short dash" rune. Will be interesting to see how short it is.
  5. Karpalo

Karpalo IncGamers Member

There are other skills to cover the lack of mobility. 100fists has some other interesting runes that might make it top dog when it comes to dealing single target damage.
  6. Such Violent Storms

Mobility is really only a concern in PvP. Crippling Wave-Mangle is the best generator damage-wise because it can hit tons of enemies at once. WotHF-Windforce Flurry comes could be good too.
  7. Torr

Torr IncGamers Member

I only have one of these in my current build, which is Overawe. But I might not even stick with Overawe if it is too hard to stay alive Inferno. As for the other two... these are all damage adds. Damage adds shouldn't dominate your build in my opinion. You can have some of these skills, but I don't know if I would gamble with all three and give up that much defense. If I am able to hold on to Overawe, then I'd rather have Serenity-Peaceful Repose over BoH-Blazing Wrath. It's the same healing but for far less spirit (10 compared to 25), and I'm trading away an impressive 15% damage buff for 45 seconds... but I'm getting 3 seconds of immunity and I can break all movement-impairing effects. I consider Peaceful Repose to be a staple skill, actually.

As for Foresight... I actually like Foresight, I'm just having trouble fitting it. I really like Breaking Wave as my other damage add... it is only a 10% damage add but I feel like I'll be using CW as my main generator. I'm pretty happy with SW, DS, and 7SS as my other 3 actives. If I could bring myself to part with one of them, Foresight would look pretty attractive. Right now I just can't seem to find a way to fit 2 generators.
  8. Doppel

Doppel Banned

I think Blazing Wrath is definately number 1 there since every build wants to have a heal with a free damage buff imo. I think pretty much every build will take Blazing Wrath unless it really needs 6 other specific skills to work.
    The other two not so much as there will be plenty of builds that benefit more from other Spirit Generators and Mantra's.
    In beta i used Deadly Reach to attack from a distance by standing in place.
  9. redrach

redrach IncGamers Member

Something like this should be a lot of fun:
    http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#bVTXYk!VbX!cccbca
    Cast Blazing Wrath for +15% damage, use Foresight for spirit generation and +18% damage, walk up to the largest enemy, cast Faith in the Light (Blinding Flash) to deal additional 30% weapon damage per hit, tag the monster with Essence Burn, pop Overawe for +48% damage and then cast Fulminating Strike.
    That's (1 + 0.15 + 0.18 + 0.48)*7*(1.11 + 0.3) = 1.81*7*1.41 = ~1886% weapon damage as single-target damage,
    1.81*7*1.11 = ~1406% weapon damage as AoE,
    followed by multiple boosted Essence Burn procs as enemies explode one after the other in the middle of your combo. :D

Too bad it's a level 60 build.
  10. DoxieVon

I'm actually anticipating that the level of concern for mobility in PVE will be directly proportional to the level of difficulty. In the later difficulties I doubt that the gameplay will be as easy as walking up to enemies, letting them clump around you, and proceeding to let you live long enough to do massive AOE damage to them. I think its far more likely that you will need to prioritize threats and quickly eliminate them. Having A mobility skill may be necessary for succeeding in that task. But maybe my wow days have biased me, as blizzard loved to design fights that required movement.

11. Greystone

Greystone IncGamers Member

I'm not really into calling any specific skill a staple for any class. There are so many possible combinations and hidden synergies between skills/runes/passives/gems/affix's beyond first glance. Straight up passive damage increases from skills/runes do not make them staple skills imo. Imho, especially for hell and inferno their are far more important things to consider than just skill/rune combinations that provide passive damage increases.
  12. Greystone

Just with my brief time during the open beta weekend I noticed how nice having a mobility skill can be to grab a health globe that is otherwise blocked to easy access by enemies. Mobility should always be considered.
  13. Such Violent Storms

That's why I said most builds. There will always be those that don't have room for a staple or those who want to be hipsters.

14. Greystone

There's nothing staple about any of those skills. I could say that about practically any monk skill if I wanted to. I could call serenity a staple since it grants complete invulnerability for a short time. Every build should have it in hell and above. I could say mystic ally is a staple since it's extremely efficient and when runed even more so. I'm sure I'll end up using those damage boosting skills here and there as I tinker with builds, but I'm not a "hipster" because I don't consider those skills you listed as staples or "must have" skills or best of the best skills.
  15. Such Violent Storms

You could not say Mystic Ally is a staple. I don't think you understand.

Take 100,000 random experienced Monk players in Hell single player with decent gear. Look at their builds. I guarantee the vast majority will have 1, 2, or all of my listed skills, simply because it's Diablo, and dealing high damage means you're winning. If you're looking at this with an MMO perspective, or even a hybrid-type GuildWars perspective, I can see how it could be confusing. But it's just because of the nature of these skills -- just like Wrath of the Berzerker or Archon -- that they'll be used. They're simple, easy damage buffs that would be silly to not try to include.

16. viledevil

viledevil IncGamers Member

lol, when did you play the game, i thought it wasn't out yet!

also, it seems as though you're starting with awesome gear, how are you managing that?
  17. Such Violent Storms

I'm planning on playing the game longer than a few weeks, so I'm going to try and accomplish what is the goal of every Diablo player: get good gear. We're talking endgame stuff here, not level 27 randomness.

18. Greystone

Looking at the game with the perspective that straight up damage is king is a pretty narrow point of focus and you're generalizing. Normal and nightmare are whatever. Hell and inferno will be the real deal and I absolutely would bet money that utility and defense will be just as important as pure offense. There's nothing silly about not using the skills you have listed. Compare Breath of Heaven+Blazing Wrath to Mystic Ally. Both the skill BoH and it's damage rune are solid, but so is mystic ally. With Mystic Ally regardless how you rune it nets you a consistent 40% damage boost for such a cheap cost. The runes applied also lend it additional damage and/or utility which can be very helpful. If you chose Earth Ally rune you gain 10% hp while it's up and it can taunt an enemy off you here and there in addition to it's damage. The utility can't be overlooked at higher difficulties where a pet of any class can offer resource free damage/utility for you while you do your thing regardless if you are cc'd etc. The skill Serenity with the ascension rune to me would be an obvious staple. Complete invulnerability with 20% up time seems to good to pass up to me. I've been playing games for 26 years and am well versed in damage and I can safely say that damage is not the whole picture. Yes it's a big part, but it's no more important than utility/survivability.
  19. Such Violent Storms

I used to like Mystic Ally. Then I realized that its AI is terrible, so your theorycrafting of "40% damage boost" isn't correct. You can see video of the ally, it's worse than D2's Mercenary. The 15% off of Blazing Wrath applies to all skills, including things like Sweeping Wind, which yields a lot of damage. The only useful ally most of the time would be Earth. Not because of its damage or AI at all, but because of the free 10% vitality. You'd just need to remember to recast it every time it dies (which would be often).

20. Greystone

I only see 1 video showing mystic ally on youtube and the ai looks fine to me. It appears to attack at a set speed, it even dashes half way across the screen to a new enemy. Any enemy it hits takes 40% damage regardless if the ai doesn't prioritize specific targets. As long as it attacks enemies it's doing it's job of doing free damage for you after you cast it. The only way you can truly make definitive opinions on the skill is if you have been beta testing past level 13.