Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Monk Solo Build Level by Level

Discussion in 'Monk' started by musufasa, May 4, 2012. | Replies: 15 | Views: 7605

1. musufasa

musufasa IncGamers Member

Monk Solo Build Level by Level

Hey guys,

I am working on my monk solo build and looking for some insight from people that possibly are a lot more knowledgeable then I am. I am going to be leveling to 60 solely solo. I am looking to create a solo AOE build. I am writing down level by level what I am going to take and have 1-20 done so far. Please help if you think I possibly have picked something stupid or know something about skills I picked that I do not know.

Levels 1-20

Level 2 : Lashing Tail Kick

Level 3 : Pick Deadly Reach

Level 4 : Blinding Flash

Level 7 : Rune Lashing Tail Kick With Vulture Claw Kick

Level 8 : Breath of Heaven

Level 9 : Dashing Strike

Level 9 : Rune Deadly Reach with Piercing Trident

Level 10: Resolve Passive

Level 11: Crippling wave instead of Deadly Reach?

Level 13: Exploding Palm

Level 13: Switch Resolve passive with Exalted Soul

Level 14: Rune BOH with Circle of Scorn

Level 14: Cyclone Strike

Level 16: Switch Exalted Soul passive with Transcendance

Level 17: Rune Crippling Wave with Mangle

Level 18: Rune Exploding Palm with the Flesh is Weak

Level 19: Mantra of Evasion

Level 20: Seize the initiative Passive

Build at level 20 looks like this : http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#WZXVfh!YX!aaaa

Thanks for any help or insight you all can give me. Going to start working on 20-40 while possible discussion is going on with this.
  2. redrach

redrach IncGamers Member

Re: Monk Solo Build Level by Level

Judging by comments the developers have made about Normal and from my experiences with the beta, I'd rather focus on speed and damage than survivability. So Thunderclap as soon as I get it for the Teleport, only switching to Deadly Reach once I get its Trident rune for the increased AoE. Crippling Wave will work fine of course, but the increase in survivability isn't worth the reduction in damage, IMO.
    I'd even skip Breath of Heaven (Health orbs are more than enough to keep you fill at all times) and stick Thunderclap in there as a mobility skill.
  3. musufasa

Do you mean not using crippling wave until mangle? Or not even using it at 17? Breath of Heaven I took for Circle of Scorn mostly or in case I bit off more then I could chew, but I guess 80% damage wouldn't be that much.

4. redrach

redrach IncGamers Member

Hmm, it's hard for me to compare Mangle to Piercing Trident without having tested it. It may very well do more damage in most situations.
    But come to think of I'd actually go for Way of the Hundred Fists instead, even unruned. It ought to do more single-target damage than the other two and hits faster for more spirit generated. Even if the AoE damage turns out to be less than the others you'll have Lashing Tail Kick for it.
    And yeah, Circle of Scorn's 80% weapon damage every 15s is pretty much negligible.
  5. musufasa

I hear that Wave of Light is also pretty terrible at the moment compared to how much it costs. Do you think it could be worth using at 25 with Explosive light instead of lashing tail kick? Or at 35 when it can cost less to use? Or at 28 with LTK you can add the spinning flame kick as well.... Lv. 20-40 setup is giving me a lot more trouble lol.
  6. redrach

redrach IncGamers Member

WoL was terrible in the beta. LTK runed as Vulture Claw kick outclassed it in pretty much every way. Maybe it'll be better when runed, but I don't really care for it.
    Spinning Flame Kick does more damage and at greater range than Vulture Claw kick, but it doesn't damage monsters around you (you probably lose the knockback too). Seems pretty useful. You won't really need the knockback in normal, and the piercing tornado will hit loads more enemies if you can line them up. Should be a fun skill to get.
  7. musufasa

This is what I got for 20-40. I think I am looking at this way to straight forward and making it way to simple. Feels like I am missing something pretty big on this one. I appreciate your input so far redrach and look forward to getting more people in on the discussion here. If Wave/Mangle is to slow for spirit generating might think about going Deadly Reach Scattered Blows?

Levels 20-40

Level 20: Seize the initiative Passive

Level 21: Rune Cyclone Strike with Eye of the storm

Level 23: Serenity Runed with Peaceful Repose

Level 25: Rune Exploding Palm with Strong Spirit

Level 28: Rune LTK with Spinning Flame Kick

Level 30: Mantra of Conviction

Level 30: The Guardians Path

Level 35: Rune Mantra of Conviction with Overawe

Build at 40: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#WZgVfk!YXd!abaZaa
  8. Hadrial

Hadrial IncGamers Member

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#WUXVik!Ycd!aZbaZ
    I kinda feel at 33, this would be quite a strong build, especially if using a Daibo or other 2H. When hitting 36 I would try Mantra of Retribution+Transgression rune for 8% IAS, combined with Hundred fists 15% IAS. Not sure the exact calculations but most Daibo have 1.1 attacks per second so I think the following might be accurate.

Daibo=1.1 *(1+.08+.15)=1.353 APS.
    or Dual weilding 1.3APS = 1.3*(1+.08+.15+.15)=1.794 APS

Passives:
    Chant of Resonance would hopefully give you enough spirit to be able to start every encounter with Sweeping Wind.
    Can switch Transcendence with Resolve if the extra healing isn't necessary, and would prefer -25% damage instead, or any other passive you would prefer.
    I don't think Seize the Initiative would be very useful at this level, as you probably would not have more than 200 dex, if that, thus only increasing your armor by that amount as well.

Mantras:
    Mantra of Healing+Sustenance at 31 - Healing/Survivability
    Mantra of Conviction+Overawe at 35 - Raw Damage Increase
    Mantra of Retribution+Transgression at 36 - Thorns+IAS

Skills:
    Can switch Primaries with anything you'd like, IE Deadly Reach with Resolve passive, or CW with Concussion.
    Can switch Exploding palm with another damage skill if you want to rely on Sweeping Wind. Cyclone Strike, Sweeping Wind, Flash of light might be nice if healing aura can cover incoming damage.
  9. redrach

redrach IncGamers Member

Hmm, I don't think sources of attack speed matter when trying to decide between dual-wielding and wielding a 2h, since in both cases the DPS will increase. What matters more is how reliant your damage is on attacks that aren't attack speed reliant, such as Seven-Sided Strike, Exploding Palm, Sweeping Wind* and Tempest Rush*.

*Probably still scale with APS
  10. Hadrial

Hadrial IncGamers Member

In most other MMOs DPS increase with haste was much higher if using a slower weapon, than a fast weapon. That is most other games so I'm not sure if that holds true for D3.

Using a 2h would take advantage of the 25% increase in spirit generation on 'The Guardian's Path' passive however.

11. musufasa

Just saw that Chant of resonance gave 2 spirit a second as well. Going to have to switch something out for that. Will reply with more once I get a second.
  12. Hadrial

Hadrial IncGamers Member

So, does Seven Sided Strike work off of each hand when dual wielding, a combination of both, or just main hand? Because in any case, an equal leveled 1h vs a 2h, the 2h will always do more damage straight damage, for being slower. While dual wielding the bonus is increased attack speed.

For Example, 1h vs 2h.
    http://us.battle.net/d3/en/item/spiked-baton
    http://us.battle.net/d3/en/item/dire-mace

13. musufasa

nvm........
  14. redrach

redrach IncGamers Member

Can't say yet, but I'm guessing the Monk alternates hands per hit, as with every other attack.

Yup. And since with Seven Sided Strike you always do only 7 (or 9 if runed that way) hits every 20-30s (depending on rune and passive), regardless of attack speed, you'd do more damage with a 2h weapon.
    Similarly with Exploding Palm, no matter how fast you attack you're still only going to refresh the same DoT over the same duration. Of course with faster attack speed you'd be able to tag more targets faster, so dual-wielding could still be better here.

15. Hadrial

Hadrial IncGamers Member

Yes, you would be able to tag more monsters quicker with a faster weapon, but that's the only upside to it. Dot for EP and any other skill you have will still do more damage as it is all based off of Weapon Damage.

Take Sweeping Wind+Blade Storm for instance. (unless if Sweeping Wind also ticks based off of APS too)
    60% weapon damage of a 1h < 60% weapon damage of a 2h.

On another note, does anyone see Fists of Thunder+Quickening as a potential huge spirit generator at 42, especially if you can stack some +crit chance %.

Also another possibly excellent spirit generator, Mantra of Healing+Circular Breathing at lvl 38 stacked with Chant of Resonance and The Guardians Path passives for possibly 6spirit/s (if 25% from Guardian's Path applies to spirit/s)
  16. Hadrial

Hadrial IncGamers Member

A few calculations on weapon damage of 1h vs 2h, if weapon damage means only one weapon is calculated at a time while dual wielding.

The way DPS on a weapon is calculated is the following:
    (Min Damage + Max Damage)/2 * APS

So for Guru Staff (highest tier Daibo, also i'm using the higher end damages for simplicity.)
    (341+632)/2=486.5 Average Damage
    486.5*1.1 APS = 535.15 DPS (which game guide rounds up to 535.2)

Compared against Dual Wielding Heaven Hand (highest tier fist weapon, again using the highest damage for simplicity)
    (107+248)/2=177.5 Average Damage
    Calculation for APS while DW: (1.4*(1+.15))= 1.61
    177.5*1.61APS = 285.775 DPS

Now, lets take Seven Sided Strike in perspective runed with Sudden Assault for a maximum of 1007% weapon damage, which is about 10 times weapon damage. I'm assuming to calculate damage you would just multiply the average damage (which is ((min+max)/2))) by 10 times, this will obviously be a rough number and would vary on weapon to weapon depending on how big of a range the damage can be, but you should have a rough estimate.

So for the Guru Staff the average damage of SSS would be (486.5*10=4865 HP)
    vs the Heaven Hand (177.5*10=1775 HP)

If all weapon damage is calculated off of the currently attacking hand while Dual Wielding, I feel that the extra APS from dual wielding will not be anywhere near enough to compensate over using a two hander.

ps. daibo 4 life
    Last edited: May 6, 2012