Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates

Monk Reaper of Souls Datamined Skill Changes

Discussion in 'Monk' started by Flux, Sep 15, 2013. | Replies: 34 | Views: 39308

1. Flux

Flux Administrator

Digging through the hay stack of datamined skill strings, I wanted to sort them out and put them into order so as to better get a sense of what's changing. The DM print out lists a lot of skills that are only changed in wording, so I didn't include those here. Only skills that have changes in function. Other classes:

The mandatory disclaimer:
    these are from an early version of RoS and many of the changes will change by launch. Source: Datamined skill details.

________________________Monk Passive Skill Changes __________________________

Only skills that see function changes in the early RoS info are included in this list. Lots of others get changes in the tooltip wording, but not in function.

Transcendence: Every point of Spirit spent heals you for 165.1 Life. Heal amount is increased by 1% of your Health Globe Healing Bonus.
    (Old version was 62 life/per spirit point and no bonus from the +health globe affix.)

Near Death Experience: When receiving fatal damage, you are instead restored to 35% of maximum Life and 35% Spirit. This effect has a 60 second cooldown. When Near Death Experience is on cooldown, your Health Globe Healing Bonus, Life per Second and Life per Hit are increased by 35%.
    (The last sentence is new, with the +35% bonuses during cooldown.)

_________________New Monk Passives:____________________

Mythic Rhythm
    Using a Spirit Generator grants increased Spirit generation from Spirit Generators by 2, stacking up to 3 times.
    Using a damaging Spirit Spender consumes all stacks and has its damage increased by 8% for each stack consumed.

Momentum
    Moving 30 yards increases your damage by 20% for 4 seconds.

_____________Monk Active Skill Changes___________________

Primary Skills:

Fists of Thunder (db)
    Generate: 8 Spirit per attack. Teleport to your target and unleash a series of extremely fast punches that deal 145% weapon damage as Lightning. / Every third hit deals 275% weapon damage as Lightning split between all enemies in front of you and releases chain lightning, dealing 73% weapon damage as Lightning to up to 3 additional enemies.
    • Thunderclap: Release an electric shockwave with every punch that hits all enemies within 6 yards of your primary enemy for 35% weapon damage as Lightning and causes knockback with every third hit. (Lost its teleport effect since that's now a basic for the skill, and gained knockback.)
    • Bounding Light: Every third hit also releases chain lightning dealing 73% weapon damage as Lightning to up to 3 additional enemies. (It sounds like the basic Chain Lightning will hit up to 6 enemies with this effect.)

Deadly Reach (db)
    Generate: 7 Spirit per attack / Project lines of pure force over a short distance for 110% weapon damage. as Physical. / Every third hit has a 30% chance to knock up enemies. (Previously 6 spirit per attack and the third hit was a 25 yard reach, rather than the chance to "knock up" enemies.)
    • Scattered Blows: Every third hit randomly damages enemies within 25 yards for 170% weapon damage as Lightning. (Formerly up to 6 enemies within 15 yards.)

Crippling Wave (db)
    Generate: 7 Spirit per attack
    Unleash a series of large sweeping attacks that deal 125% weapon damage as Physical to all enemies in front of you. / Every third hit also dazes enemies around you within 11 yards, slowing their movement speed by 60% and attack speed by 20% for 3 seconds.
    (Previously 110% damage, and the dazed debuff was only 30%.)
    • Mangle: Increase damage to 163% weapon damage as Physical. (Preivously 143% damage.)

Way of the Hundred Fists (db)
    Generate: 7 Spirit per attack (Previously 8 spirit per atack.)
    Unleash a rapid series of punches that strike enemies for 140% weapon damage as Physical.
    • Hands of Lightning: Increase the number of hits in the second strike from 7 to 10, increasing damage to 200% weapon damage as Physical. (The 200% weapon damage increase is newly added.)

Secondary Skills

Lashing Tail Kick (db)
    Unleash a deadly roundhouse kick that deals 470% weapon damage as Physical.
    Cost: 30 Spirit
    • Sweeping Armada: Damage done is increased to 611% weapon damage as Physical. Enemies hit are knocked back and Slowed by 60% for 2 seconds. (Previously increased knockback distance by 150%.)

Tempest Rush (db)
    Charge directly through your enemies dealing 155% weapon damage while running, knocking them back, and hobbling them, Slowing their movement by 60% for 2 seconds. You run 25% faster while channeling Tempest Rush. (Previously no mention of 25% faster speed from base Tempest Rush.)
    Cost: 15 Spirit plus an additional 10 Spirit while channeling.

• No changes to the rune effects.

Wave of Light (db)
    No changes except tooltip wording. Bell-dropping may proceed without interruption.

Defensive Skills

Blinding Flash (db)
    Create a flash of light that blinds all enemies within 20 yards for 3 seconds. Elite enemies recover faster, but suffer a 30% chance to miss with attacks.
    Cooldown: 15 seconds

Breath of Heaven (db)
    A blast of divine energy heals you and all allies within 12 yards for 16515 - 19818 Life. / Heal amount is increased by 100% of your Health Globe Healing Bonus.
    Cooldown: 15 seconds
    (Previously this had a 25 Spirit cost and it's now free. It's also much more effective, boosted from 6202 - 7442 healing, plus that +health globe healing bonus affix boost..)
    • Circle of Life: Increase the healing power of Breath of Heaven to 21469 - 25763 Life. Heal amount is increased by 100% of your Health Globe Healing Bonus. (Previously 8063 - 9675 healiing and no +health globe bonus.)

Serenity (db)
    You are enveloped in a protective shield that absorbs all incoming damage for 3 seconds and grants immunity to all control impairing effects.
    Cooldown: 20 seconds
    (Base skill is unchanged, but the old 10 Spirit cost has been removed.)
    • Peaceful Repose: When activated, Serenity heals you for 16515 - 20644 Life. / Heal amount is increased by 100% of your Health Globe Healing Bonus. (Another healing skill with a big buff in numbers -- it used to be 6202 - 7752 -- and the added HGHB property.)

Inner Sanctuary (db)
    Create a runic circle of protection on the ground for 5 seconds that reduces all damage taken by 35% for all allies inside.
    Cooldown: 20 seconds
    (Used to cost 30 Spirit. Now free to use.)

• Intervene: Dash to the target location, granting a shield that absorbs up to 2477 damage for 3 seconds to allies within 11 yards and then creating Inner Sanctuary Absorb amount is increased by 100% of your Health Globe Healing Bonus.
    • Forbidden Palace: Enemies inside Inner Sanctuary take 30% increased damage and have their movement speed reduced by 60%.
    • Sanctified Ground: Duration is increased to 7 seconds and cannot be passed by enemies.
    • Temple of Protection: Projectiles cannot pass through Inner Sanctuary and ally resource generation and regeneration is increased by 35%.
    • Safe Haven: Allies inside Inner Sanctuary are healed for 4129 every second. / Heal amount is increased by 100% of your Life per Second. (Previously healed 1550 per second.)

Technique Skills

Dashing Strike (db)
    Quickly dash up to 50 yards, striking enemies along the way for 535% weapon damage as Physical. (Previously 303% damage.)
    Cost: 50 Spirit
    (There was previously a 1 second root effect on the struck target, which has now been removed.)

• Barrage: The last enemy you dash through is obliterated with a barrage of strikes, taking an additional 1337% weapon damage as Physical over 2 seconds. (Previously known as Searing Skull and had a slowing effect on enemies and no bonus damage.)
    • Quicksilver: Reduce the cost of Dashing Strike to 30 Spirit. (Previously reduced cost from 25 to 10.)
    • Flying Side Kick: Perform a flying kick that has a 100% chance to Stun enemies hit for 1 second. (Previously had a 60% chance to stun for 1.5 seconds.)

Sweeping Wind (db)
    No changes except some tooltip wording for clarification.

Exploding Palm (db)
    No changes except tooltip wording.

Focus Skills

Cyclone Strike (db)
    Basic skill function is under construction so may change.
    • Soothing Breeze: Cyclone Strike heals you and all allies within 24 yards for 3303 Life. Heal amount is increased by 20% of your Health Globe Healing Bonus. (Previously the heal was 1240 and there was no bonus for +health globe healing.)

Seven Sided Strike (db)
    No changes except for tooltip wording.
    • Sustained Attack: Reduce the cooldown of Seven-Sided Strike by 7 seconds.

Mystic Ally (db)
    No changes in function.

Mantras

Mantra of Healing (db)
    Recite a Mantra that causes you and your allies within 60 yards to gain increased Life regeneration by 1651 Life per Second. The heal amount is increased by 100% of your Life per Second. Lasts 3 minutes.
    For 3 seconds after activation Mantra of Healing shrouds you and your allies with a mystical shield that absorbs up to 2477 damage. Absorb amount is increased by 15% of your Health Globe Healing Bonus.
    Only one Mantra may be active at a time.

• Sustenance: Increase the Life regeneration granted by Mantra of Healing to 3303 Life per Second. / Heal amount is increased by 100% of your Life per Second. (Preiviously 1240 and no bonus for Life Per Second.).
    • Boon of Inspiration: Mantra of Healing also heals 495 Life when hitting an enemy. Heal amount is increased by 100% of your Life per Hit. (Previously 186 heal per hit and no bonus from Life per Hit.)

Mantra of Conviction (db)
    Recite a Mantra that causes all enemies within 30 yards of you to take 12% additional damage. The Mantra lasts 3 minutes. (Previously 20 yards.)
    For 3 seconds after activation, the effect is increased to 24% additional damage.
    • Dishearten: Slow the movement of enemies within 30 yards by 60%. (Formerly 20 yards and 30% slower.)
    • Reclamation: When an enemy affected by Mantra of Conviction is killed, your allies nearby gain 1% of maximum Life and 1% of maximum resources. (Previously granted a 30% chance to heal for 279 - 341 Life.)
    • Intimidation: Enemies affected by Mantra of Conviction deal 15% less damage. (Previously 10% less damage.)

Mantra of Retribution (db)
    No changes except tooltip wording.

Mantra of Evasion (db)
    Recite a Mantra that grants you and your allies within 60 yards a 15% bonus Dodge Chance. Lasts 3 minutes. (Previously 40 yards.)
    For 3 seconds after activation, a second effect grants an additional 15% Dodge Chance.
    No other changes to skill or rune effects.

___________________New Monk Skill_________________________

Epiphany
    You have an Epiphany, restoring all of your Spirit, reducing the Spirit cost of your skills by 50% and enabling your melee attacks to instantly dash to your target for 20 seconds.
    Cooldown: 120 seconds
    No rune effects listed yet.

__________________Monk Conclusion_________________

It seems like Blizzard is tinkering with the Monk, rather than making any major revisions or buffs/nerfs as they're planning for the DH and Barb and Wiz. None of the main Monk builds seem likely to be much changed, pro or con, and his passives are hardly being tweaked at all. (So far.) The biggest behavior change seems likely to come from the remodelled Dashing Strike, as it and Tempest Rush give the Monk some tremendous fast movement options.

The Monk's lack of Life Steal effects from skills saved him the trouble of having them all torn asunder, as the Barbarian's were.

Many fans had hoped for changes to Mantras to make them more party friendly, but the introduction of the party-friendly Auras of the Crusader pretty well ruled that out for the Monk.
  2. windstriker

windstriker IncGamers Member

Nice read, will at least change some of the most popular skill choices. Really hope there will be a lot more changes though, still loads of skills/runes that will be completely useless in endgame. Guess more changes are coming to passives later.
  3. Kornkills

Kornkills IncGamers Member

I may stay monk, some seriously over powered **** is about to go down.
  4. FaultyYogurt

FaultyYogurt IncGamers Member

Darnit, I wanted them to bring back the fighting game style combos.
  5. snurrfint

snurrfint IncGamers Member

"The faster movement speed formerly found in the Tailwind rune effect has been baked into the base skill, and Tailwind now adds 25% on top of that, which should make for a *very* fast Monk. The goal seems to be to make other rune effects more viable/popular, and it might work. Tailwind should be so fast that killing enemies with one pass will be difficult and that effect seems destined to be used for very rapid movement, rather than as a killing attack."

This is not true flux, sorry. The 25% increased movement speed for the base skill has always been there. They just added that to the tooltip.
  6. Rpgguy

Rpgguy IncGamers Member

Something I noticed is that they changed the wording on all the near death effects from " this effect can not occur twice in succession withing 60 seconds " to "this effect has a 60 seconds cooldown".

So whats the difference you may ask? In RoS / paragon 2.0 there are items and paragon abilities that reduces cooldown timer so it should affect these passive abilities. ( think about the wizard with critical mass and unstable anatomy effecting each other... should be amusing )
  7. Flux

Flux Administrator

That is not the case. Go try it. Unless you're using Tailwind you move at the same speed with TR as without it. It looks faster as the monk is in a speedy animation, and it's faster to move if there are monsters around since you go right through them, but it's not actually faster through open dungeon.
  8. Flux

Flux Administrator

I think both. They did a lot of cleanup and improvement on just general tooltip grammar, but also what you say as they want to stress that there's a cooldown involved in that skill, since we're going to get cooldown modifying powers in RoS.
  9. snurrfint

Go try it yourself lol! I've been using both tailwind and slipstream a lot for almost a year now. I know for a fact that you get a speed boost with base tempest. When I play with my wizard friend on higher MP levels I use slipsteam, and when I don't use tempest I'm just as slow as he is, but can easily outrun him with tempest.

If you think about it, there is no way that tailwind is only 25% faster movement speed. When using tailwind you are at least as fast as a barb using sprint. And that is 40% faster.

And if you still don't believe me you can read this thread where they calculate the base tempest speed to around 25%. http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/8087068736

Now, you should thank me for pointing out your mistake, apology for being stubborn and rewrite your fail article. No offense.
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2013
  10. Rpgguy

Rpgguy IncGamers Member

Wow you have such a big penis mr. I cower in fear before your superiority , clearly this specific mistake made flux's article a complete fail thanks for pointing it out in such a manner so we all know how stupid he is.
  11. HardRock

HardRock IncGamers Member

That was most likely sarcasm, relax. :)

It's great that the Monk will finally get a proper mobility skill. I really hated the fact that Dashing Strike could only be used with a target. Slight correction though Flux, the Legendary that makes Dashing Strike free only does so when you hit a target more than 25 yards away. I accept your apology. :)

Another thing that's worth noting is that the increased healing amounts are likely just the result of the increased level cap. The fact that many of these effects now scale with an affix may have something to do with the nerfed LS however.
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2013
  12. snurrfint

Well, I pointed out a mistake, he refused to accept it or even thanking me for the imput and told me to "Go try it" when clearly he didn't even bother to try it himself.

I said, no offense, and i mean it. I know that ppl can do mistakes. I called his article a fail, partly because I was pissed and partly because that's generally what you call an article with a conclusion based on false information. I don't think the rest of the article was bad. My apologies.

PS. My penis is pretty much average size so now you don't have to be scared anymore.
  13. Aahzmadius

Aahzmadius IncGamers Member

Want: CoB Witch Doctor combo with BBV/Slam Dance and Inner Sanctuary/Forbidden Palace. What a nice burst of damage for elites. (Now if you can only keep them in that defined space...)
  14. Flux

Flux Administrator

Updated the OP.

Interesting results in that B.net thread. They don't agree with my in-game experience, but probably that's since it's a slight increase (unless you Tailwind) and not real noticeable playing solo, or over any short burst. (I tested it out just tonight and couldn't tell any diff from base TR vs. not, in normal dungeon movement.) However, if you test it over a much longer straight line, apparently it's evident. Especially if you don't have any MS gear on. Quote of the B.net thread guy's testing results, going down that entire long hallway in ZK's dungeon.

Okay, so what's the last time you ran 15 to 20 seconds in a straight line without any monsters in Diablo 3?

Exactly.

The speed boost from Tailwind is very obvious, apparently since it's multiplicative on top of your gear bonuses, and my Monks have always been 20-24% MS from gear. The boost from non-Tailwind TR is tiny, especially if you're comparing it on a Monk with Lightning Hands, since that teleport to the first enemy in a group saves .x seconds every time.

I've used Northern Breeze on TR in multiplayer games and didn't notice any real boost in speed compared to the other players. Yet when I use Tailwind I usually respec out of it since I'm so much faster it's no fun for the friends I'm playing with always left a screen or two behind.

I'm disappointed to learn this, since it means that TR with any runes other than Northern Breeze will continue to be irrelevant as a speed increase. :(
  15. snurrfint

Well, I might disappoint you even more when I remind you of the new Item affix that makes TR free to cast. That affix would also make Northern Breeze pointless for serious Tempest rushers.

I use 24% increased movement speed with gear on my tempest rusher and i can definitely feel the difference quite easily, especially if you do short bursts and play in groups. But, I agree 25% isn't that much of a difference to be honest, it's not before you add that extra 25% from tailwind is starting to feel worth to use as a movement skill...
  16. Elly

Elly Administrator

Now now, please, if you're going to try to engage with people adopt some manners. Slapping on a 'No offense' at the end cuts no sway here.
  17. HardRock

I have a solution for you. Introducing the new Meteor rune, Pulsar:

"Summon a Pulsar that deals 1820% weapon damage as Fire on impact. The Pulsar also taunts and damages nearby enemies for 490% weapon damage as Fire every second for 6 seconds. / Adds a 24 second cooldown."
  18. snurrfint

I'm very sorry for what I wrote there, and if you read the rest of the thread you can see that I in fact already apologized for it. It came out more harsh than I wanted, but I was a bit angry for being schooled when I actually was in the right.

Even if you have the right be angry with me, I kind love the fact that you went for the guy that kindly pointed out a mistake in the article, then got a "you're wrong, go figure" answer, and not the guy that called someone else a big penis. Also, manners only seem to matter to you when stuff is directed towards you or someone you work with and not when someone offend another user or the Blizzard developers, which happens on a daily basis.

Once again, I'm sorry.
  19. Grishok

Grishok IncGamers Member

I think you more than made up for your harsish words with your follow up comment on your penis size :)
  20. HardRock

He didn't provide any proof, so why should we believe him? :)