Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Monk Passives on HC

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 Hardcore Forum' started by Valeli, Mar 12, 2013. | Replies: 13 | Views: 3282

1. Valeli

Valeli IncGamers Member

So I started dabbling in D3 again after several months of not touching it. Deleted everything and started a monk.

What passives do you think work well for hard core? Near Death Experience is probably a given. Then I want one flexible passive I can mess around with (put in exalted soul if I want to mess with bells one day, or something else otherwise, or whatever seems best).

For the third one I currently have the passive that boosts armor by 50% of dex. That's a good defensive passive, obviously. My main question is this - would anyone replace that passive with the one that gives a flat 75% damage reduction when you're crowd controlled? That's a huge amount of damage reduction and, while it wouldn't kick in frequently, it would probably kick in for about 2/3 of the "dangerous" instances that might kill me. Maybe a bit less than that. Would it be worth giving up all the extra "always on" armor for this?

The other solution is to make all three of my passives completely defensive I guess... but I was hoping to keep at least one spot free to play with.

Edit: Two other questions that are probably more applicable to the monk forum specifically than here since they're not hc exclusive, but in the interest of avoiding multi-posts...
    How do skills that add + damage work with sweeping wind (Breath of Heaven with Blazing Wrath for example, or the damage rune on Blind). Does their damage still apply to sweeping wind, and is it still kept up constantly even after the initial buff wears off (so long as sweeping wind doesn't fall off)? Or did they change/fix/meddle with this while I was away?
  2. Malentros

Malentros IncGamers Member

Not necessarily. There is a valid argument that replacing it with a defensive passive means in the end you are less likely to get into a dangerous situation in the first place. I'm not saying to replace NDE (especially if your connection is flaky) but just that it isn't mandatory for HC. OWE is your best bet to get strong defense early on in your character's life from only a few items. You can eventually outgrow it though, once your gear is good enough. Resolve is also good since with Sweeping Wind it hits virtually everything around you.

I use OWE, Resolve and Chant of Resonance (although I could use Exalted Soul instead) and rely on Serenity (Ascension/Peaceful Repose) and/or Seven-Sided Strike to get out of bad situations. I prefer to use general damage mitigation passives and use active abilities as my 'oh ****' buttons, but that's just my experience.

Regarding your edit, the perma-buff to Sweeping Wind was fixed. The Breath of Heavan/Blazing Wrath damage buffs only apply to Sweeping Wind when the buffs are active now. They do no permanently boost Sweeping Wind until it falls off.
  3. Mn_Swe2

Mn_Swe2 IncGamers Member

4. slyraje

slyraje IncGamers Site Pal

On NDE, pretty much what Malentros said. It has triggered twice for me in 100's of hours of game play. It's useful when you are under-geared and want to play it safe. I'd use it at first, but after fighting some tough affix combos on champs without needing NDE, you should be able to tell if you can live without it.

Pacifism allows you to go without Serenity, unless you are using Serenity offensively (which is dangerous in HC). Honestly, Serenity makes me lazy. I'm thinking about letting it go for Dashing Strike, but I like keeping it with the Tranquility rune to break the frozen effect for others in multiplayer games.

Beacon of Ytar can be a useful damage boost with 7SS, Blinding Flash (FitL), Inner Sanctuary (Forbbiden Palace), and even Serenity (Instant Karma or Reap What is Sown) to some extent.

I really only use Exalted Soul when I want to use Wave of Light with something other than the Empowered Wave rune, or for a TR build.

Malentros summed up OWE pretty well too. I think it offers the most protection and can work as your lone defensive passive once you have enough base armor from gear.

Seize the Initiative can be swapped for Combination Strike and Deadly Reach (Keen eye). You can use two spirit generators to further boost your damage and keep a sizable armor boost using DR on each third strike.

I always use The Guardian's Path when dual wielding and using Mantra of Evasion (Backlash).

@Malentros
    Does Sweeping Wind really trigger Resolve? I had heard that it didn't at one point, but that is awesome if it does.
  5. kestegs

kestegs D3 Monk Moderator

Unless they changed it, resolve does not get triggered by sweeping wind.
  6. Malentros

Wow, that is interesting. Not that I don't believe you, but is there a reference where this is officially stated? And is that supposed to working as intended, or just a long-standing bug?
  7. slyraje

I saw it mentioned on the bnet forums a couple times. I think LordRhaal/CountFury's mammoth monk guide mentions testing Resolve/SW. I'll see if I can test it out when I get home from work.

Edit: Just tested it out and can confirm that Sweeping Wind does not trigger Resolve.
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2013
  8. Kornkills

Kornkills IncGamers Member

9. Malentros

Neat. Its awesome to be told you can all of a sudden pick a new passive. :D I think I'm going to try out this build on my monk. Thanks for the info Korn, kestegs and slyraje!
  10. Kornkills

Tested out exaulted soul while doing ubers, it is great and i will keep using it. Dumping 8 or 9 bells then getting all 250 spirit back in like 7 seconds rules.
  11. VagrantKing

VagrantKing IncGamers Member

I died with my monk(p32) with NDE and it really didn't help me much.

Here's my story:

I was farming keys in MP6 in the middle of one pack and doing fine. A second pack jumped in and I was in trouble. I blew all my cooldowns and ended up dying. NDE proc'd and revived me in the middle of both packs with all my skills still on cooldown. So I had no escapes and died about a second later.

The point being is that this was the first time and only time my NDE proc'd. The passive does give you some peace of mind but I am thinking about the actual usefulness of the passive.
  12. slyraje

I've had it proc a couple times. Once due to recklessness, and once due to a lag spike. Both times it saved my character only to have him/her die to a d/c or lag spike a day later.

Moral of the story: screw NDE unless you're using it in SC mp10 with an Exploding Palm build (vs. Reflect Damage mobs.)
  13. Kornkills

On my first bell monk, I procced NDE well over 10 times on reflect packs before I decided to start using serenity before Belling them. I also legit got owned and procced it twice on that monk.

I would rather have that 35% extra health pool and live, than have a passive that I also DONT really need as I have gone so many hours without using it before.

The safety net is just too nice, especially once you invest a large amount of time and gold into one character... it may not be as good as spirit vessel, but it WILL save you.

@King a few post above, if you died to a double pack it was not NDE's fault. You maybe shouldn't of been in mp6, or maybe you should of spaced your cool downs out, or maybe while serenity was going you should of ran. What passive in NDE's spot would have saved your monk from his/her heroic death?
  14. VagrantKing

VagrantKing IncGamers Member

I agree it wasn't NDE fault but I just wanted to illustrate that in my case it wasn't that helpful.

Beacon of Ytar - lower CDs, especially on Serenity and Blinding Flash
    Pacifism - there was a lot of CCs being thrown around
    Resolve - 20% damaged reduction
    Six Sense - More dodge

It was a rough double-pack so I'm not sure if she was save-able in that situation but we'll never know