Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates

Monk Passive Skills Improvements/Changes?

Discussion in 'Monk' started by Flux, Mar 1, 2013. | Replies: 17 | Views: 6726

1. Flux

Flux Administrator

An interesting thread in the Demon Hunter forum asks which DH passives should be "baked in" to the character, basically making them full time abilities. The whole thing was spurred by a blue post about Monks, so I'm surprised not to see some conversation about it here:

The most commonly proposed solution is to simply bake One With Everything directly into the Monk's class. In essence, give the passive away for free. This has a few issues. We don't currently bake a mechanic like this into other classes, so it would be something that’d need to be explained to new players or otherwise exist as a hidden bonus. It also represents a big boost to one class that's inequitable with the other classes.

http://www.diablowiki.net/Monk_passives

I don't really like that idea, and don't really think OWE is a big problem with the Monk. So there's one almost mandatory passive; oh well. Pretty much every class has one passive that virtually everyone uses, and the Monk needs high resistance more than any other class, so giving him one passive that allows it (with a fairly clever function) isn't a bad thing, IMHO.

I liked the other suggestion Blizzard offered; that they might segment OWE out, and put the Arcane on one of the unused passives, lightning on another, poison on a 3rd, etc. That's weird and unnatural, but it's kind of cool at the same time. It wouldn't help many of us now, as anyone with a high level Monk has 4 or 5 items with +res to one particular element and isn't likely to rework all their gear to change that around. (Though I've been tempted, since by far my best item is my Amulet, a great quadfecta with +58 cold res that does nothing for me since I built my Monk around arcane months before I found the amulet.)

That said, other passives. The main request I see is for an offensive passive for the Monk. Look at some of the Barb passives; any of them would be fantastic for Monks. Hell, any new Monk passive that did half of these would instantly be a must-have for most Monks:

http://diablonut.incgamers.com/skill/Barbarian/ruthless
    http://diablonut.incgamers.com/skill/Barbarian/weapons-master
    http://diablonut.incgamers.com/skill/Barbarian/bloodthirst
    http://diablonut.incgamers.com/skill/Barbarian/berserker-rage

http://diablonut.incgamers.com/skill/Barbarian/brawler
    Brawler is a funny case, since it's used by just 4% of Barbs, but would be fantastic top 3 passive for Monks, since we get surrounded and tank, while Barbs just spin past everything. It would still be a great passive for barbs, except they have 4 others that are much better.

And sure, Monks get buffs to res and defense and dodge and such while Barbs get the DPS boosts. But since in D3 high DPS cures all, and it's easier to get defense and res than DPS from equipment, it's not quite the same.

Try flipping the script; would Barbs immediately think OWE was their best passive if it was available? Or Resolve? Maybe Fleet Footed, except that Barbs get a much better version via Sprint, and it deals half their damage in the process.

So anyway, for the monk's passives... what do you want changed? New passive? Combine some of the unused ones?
    http://www.diablo3ladders.com/skills/mostused/monk

[TABLE="class: skillUsage passive"]
    [TH="class: headerHeader addTextShadow, colspan: 3"]Passive Skills for Monk in Softcore[/TH] Pos Skill Percent 1 [TD="class: left"]One With Everything(Passive)[/TD] 74.66% 2 [TD="class: left"]Seize the Initiative(Passive)[/TD] 66.02% 3 [TD="class: left"]The Guardian's Path(Passive)[/TD] 28.97% 4 [TD="class: left"]Fleet Footed(Passive)[/TD] 22.66% 5 [TD="class: left"]Exalted Soul(Passive)[/TD] 22.34% 6 [TD="class: left"]Chant of Resonance(Passive)[/TD] 20.88% 7 [TD="class: left"]Resolve(Passive)[/TD] 19.84% 8 [TD="class: left"]Transcendence(Passive)[/TD] 13.29% 9 [TD="class: left"]Combination Strike(Passive)[/TD] 8.47% 10 [TD="class: left"]Near Death Experience(Passive)[/TD] 7.43% 11 [TD="class: left"]Beacon of Ytar(Passive)[/TD] 6.97% 12 [TD="class: left"]Sixth Sense(Passive)[/TD] 3.72% 13 [TD="class: left"]Pacifism(Passive)[/TD] 3.10% 14 [TD="class: left"]Guiding Light(Passive)[/TD] 1.53% [/TABLE]

Monk's got some decent variety; obviously 2 are by far the most popular, but a bunch are medium-popular, and I change around my Monk passives fairly often, depending on if I'm farming with TR or grinding higher MP for keys or organs, or just sometimes playing higher MP level in an MP game. (TR sucks in a party game since you just leave everyone behind.)

Looking at the unloved 3: Guiding Light is a weird case of overspecialized and only useful in MP, so disregard that. But Pacifism and Sixth Sense could be easily improved. What if Pacifism had say, 50% damage boost (and +movement speed?) for like 3s or 5s after you were snared? And what if Sixth Sense just flipped the bonus; boosting your CC by some % of your Dodge? Or did both at once? What if the multiple spirit regen passives were linked, or combined into one? Or added some proc, triggering more spirit regen with crits, or with successful dodged attacks?

In theory passives boost other stuff your char is doing, but they should/could also enable some different or new techniques. And the Monk doesn't have much of that, other than spirit regen boosters. So I think there's room for improvement.

Similar threads are now running for all five classes: Barbarian Passives, Wizard Passives, Witch Doctor Passives, Demon Hunter Passives.
  2. Volapyk

Volapyk IncGamers Member

The main problem with OWE isn't really that it is too good or a must have, as you already pointed out, Flux, pretty much all the classes has a 'must-have' passive. The problem with it is the insanely huge limit it puts on your gear, your example of your amulet is perfect, you find that one great item, but the resistance is wrong, so to take advantage of it and OWE you would either have to not use it or exchange all your other gear for items with that same resistance. It puts a severe damper on new self found or crafted gear. Of course you could argue that one could just sell that one great item and buy another one with near same stats, except for the correct resistance, of the AH. But with only 1/6 the amount of items that can be considered usable (if they have to have your resistance) finding a comparable item can be hard. We already have such a high barrier for items, they need to roll so good to be worth it. We need Dex, Vit, All-Res, OwE-Res just to survive, that is already 4/6 possible stats on an item that has to be rolled just right, add in that we want/need some offensive stats as well, the items we are really searching for will be only near perfect rolls.

Anywho, I highly doubt they will change OWE or even any of the other passives at this state, rather I think they will wait for an expansion pack. Reason for this is that I presume they will add at the very least new item levels, meaning the current best gear will of course no longer be the best gear, and since we already need to exchange our gear (or maybe not need as much as want) they could have this passive changed without huge repercussions, since almost every monk atm have their items set up for just this specific passive.

As for the other talents, well to be completely frank I think they could all use some love. Not only does the monk have the least passives of all the classes, they also have the most useless ones. With a complete lack of any proper offensive passives. It could indeed be as simple as swapping Sixth-sense around to give more crit instead of dodge, or even something else that properly allowed synergy with better gear (like Critical Mass) like Spirit gained on crit or dodge.

The saddest part is this; As you pointed out that Monks have defensive passives and Barbs have offensive passives, you seem to forget that Barbs have those defensive passives as well, and they are far from useless, so it isn't even one class getting one thing and the other another thing, but rather one class getting both and the other only getting half of what it ought to have.

Anyway enough non-structural criticism, time for some suggestions. Or at least my totally biased wishes.

Sixth-Sense: Should be increased crit chance based on your dodge chance, or, if I'm allowed to dream, a small increase in your crit chance every time you dodge an attack for a short time, stacking up and refreshing it's own timer (of course to a max).

Exalted Soul + Transcendence/Chant of Resonance: Each of these 3 passives are for heavy spirit use, however each is in itself not worth it (Remember this is in my opinion), and I would rather like to see Exalted Soul combined with one of two others so you don't have to use 2 passives for a high spirit usage build.

Pacifism: The amount of CC we face is already very limited, and in most situations very easy to avoid (well except fear). Since we are already build to be able to withstand fighting in the middle of the fray, this passive just seems to be rather useless, if you can't survive the short timed stuns how can you expect to survive the even longer time it will take you to kill the monsters while they are hitting you anyway? In my opinion this passive could use a complete overhaul, so for now let's just completely remove it to make room for some nice new passives we (I) actually would want to use.

Combination Strike: This passive has always baffled me, using it for just 8% extra damage feels like a waste, and having a passive that forces me to add a second spirit generator to my already way too long list of skills I want to use just feels wrong. We only have 6 skills, when 1 goes to a mantra, 2 to spirit generators, 1 on Sweeping Wind, 1-2 on survival skills (Blinding Light, Breath of Heaven, Serenity and the like) it doesn't really leave enough room for any spirit spenders (well you could probably get one on there at the cost of a survival skill). This passive could also use to be reversed in a sense. Instead of encouraging us to use our boring spirit generators it should be focused on our spirit spenders, like a 10% damage increase for a few seconds (5?) per different spirit spender we use, or even increased damage based on spirit spend in the last few seconds, or the amount we have right at the time.

As for completely new passives, I would be thankful for anything remotely offensive (damage increasing) or spirit generating that isn't just a passive spirit per second bonus. If they want to keep it in the monk theme they can tie them to dodge since a high dodge seems to be the monks main thing (pretty much every skill got something that can increase our dodge chance). I would like to say I'm not picky just anything offensive, but I know that I will feel severely disappointed if we get anymore completely useless skills, heck if there isn't one 'near-must-have' offensive passive I would probably be sad so maybe I should just stop being so damn *****y and take what I get ;)
  3. pulli

pulli IncGamers Member

Guiding light
    Guiding light is actually a very good idea for a passive: however the implementation is really bad BECAUSE of different things:

- there are very few direct heal spells, you can't really build your character around this
    - Heal spells do not scale well.
    - But most importantly: you can't aim heal/see range AND the range is terribly low. Really so low that simply pressing heal while a demon hunter is fighting half a screen behind you in safety won't heal him.

Especially the latter reason makes MPing with heal spells near impossible. Improvements to guiding light would hence be something like: increase duration to 30 seconds. And make all heal ranges triple or even 4 times as big as they are now. With these two changes the passive suddenly makes all heal-spells a terror in MP games. And you can really build a "supportive-buffing champ".

The spirit regen passives simply do not work good, and this is an inherent problem to the monk. The regen rate / second is always so much less than spirit regen through a regen attack that it isn't funny. Yet building enough spirit per second that you can actually spam spirit spenders as complete damage skill is near impossible, nor is 150 max spirit enough to "store" spirit when using 50 spirit attacks. The easiest solution I can see is to first of all make the base spirit 200. Secondly each of the passives add another 100. And THEN also double the spirit regen bonus they give.

Passivism:
    This is a strange one. As you generally do NOT wish to be hitted - though you could see it more or less as a lightweight near death. The goal of this skill should be to free a spot in your active skilltree: so you don't need a survival skill. However still: you do not wish to lose the dps in the first place, and then to also lose a passive to a bad point is even worse... Maybe it could be changed to "half time of cc & 75% dmg reduction"? That way you actually DO get an indirect buff to your dmg.
    Bottom line to everyone else commenting here: consider this skill as a replacement for "serenity".

Combination strike
    I really think this skill should just go. Any way of fixing this is just making it either a new "must have" (and thus directly also a must have to use as many spirit generators at once), or it will stay a novelty. Using a spirit generator is compulsory anyways, and the whole IDEA of spirit is to spent it.
    The only way I can see something like this work is like:
    "each spirit generating attack increases damage of next spirit spender by 1%" (notice the lack of "different" - also damage increase should not be based on weapon damage but based on the damage the skill would do anyways - so a skill with weapondmg of 200% would deal 220% weapon damage after 10 hits).
    Basically this would allow you to build upto a finishing blow, and would work quite well with a high damage attack such as bells.

6th sense
    Actually easy solution is to increase dodge 100% of your crit %... Or as everyone says, increase crit based on dodge (to make it an offensive skill). I'm not really in favour of increasing crit based on dodge: as this would simply make this skill a new "must have", extra crit chance is always very, very useful.

As a general note: I would also increase the numbers a bit on all skills to make it more in line with other characters. (Notice that this update is actually a nerf to monks - as monks do not have a good 4th skill) - Basically this update would allow for 4 passive to be active, where blizzard chooses one. Some buffs:

[TABLE="class: skillUsage passive"]
    [TH="class: headerHeader addTextShadow, colspan: 3"]Passive Skills for Monk in Softcore[/TH] Pos Skill My buff 1 [TD="class: left"]One With Everything(Passive)[/TD] - 2 [TD="class: left"]Seize the Initiative(Passive)[/TD] - 3 [TD="class: left"]The Guardian's Path(Passive)[/TD] 20% chance dodge / 50% spirit regen rate 4 [TD="class: left"]Fleet Footed(Passive)[/TD] 15 (maybe 20)% inceased movement 5 [TD="class: left"]Exalted Soul(Passive)[/TD] +200 spirit / 2 spirit/sec 6 [TD="class: left"]Chant of Resonance(Passive)[/TD] +100 spirit / 2 spirit/sec + 5% dmg increase 7 [TD="class: left"]Resolve(Passive)[/TD] MAKE RESOLVE WORK WITH ALL SKILLS (sweeping wind etc) 8 [TD="class: left"]Transcendence(Passive)[/TD] each spirit point = 0.5% of max life 9 [TD="class: left"]Combination Strike(Passive)[/TD] <see above> 10 [TD="class: left"]Near Death Experience(Passive)[/TD] restoral give "blind anger buff" for 10 seconds (cannot be cced + 10% attack speed increase) 11 [TD="class: left"]Beacon of Ytar(Passive)[/TD] 30% cooldown reduction 12 [TD="class: left"]Sixth Sense(Passive)[/TD] <see above> 13 [TD="class: left"]Pacifism(Passive)[/TD] <see above> 14 [TD="class: left"]Guiding Light(Passive)[/TD] <see above> [/TABLE]
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2013
  4. Flux

Flux Administrator

Yet the spirit regen options work very well with Tempest Rush's cost. I think that's probably an accident, like how Baseball put the bases 90 feet apart back in 1883 or whatever, and that's scaled up perfectly even as the throwing speed and running speed of humans has increased, thus keeping stolen bases just challenging/risky enough to be interesting. (e.g. If bases were 100 feet or 80 feet apart, stealing would be impossible or too easy.)

So you need about 14s/sec to do TR pretty much full time (depending on your build, if you're using SSS or whatever for your boss killer), and you can build up to it in various ways. If the spirit passives were double their current value, it would be very easy to get enough spirit for TR w/o building for it. If the spirit passives were half their current, it wouldn't be worth the effort. But they're in a fairly happy medium range.

I don't enjoy the full TR build (using a Skorn) but I love it as my 2nd skill for fast movement, and with 2 fists at 2s/sec, another 1.8s/sec from my Inna's hat, and Exalted Soul and Chant of Resonance I have about 10 spirit/sec, which lets me TR constantly, basically just decelerating for boss kills (during which I refill spirit from punching and just not spending it on TR). If any of those spirit generators were improved markedly that would make the build too easy; I'd only need one passive, or wouldn't need both fists with spirit regen and that would break the balance and make me feel like a S2W barb.
  5. pulli

pulli IncGamers Member

Yet the spirit regen is neglectable compared to auto attacks.. The only reason one would use those is if auto attacks are in some way not possible (channeling spells etc).

Also did you just notice that most of the spirit regen you listed comes from items? I honestly think that if you choose 2 spirit/sec passives you should be near constant-spamming TR etc.

Furthermore if you read my post you will notice that I give the biggest "buff" to the spirit INCREASE of those passives... Currently builds like bells + 7ss are limited because of a low MAX spirit.
  6. HardRock

HardRock IncGamers Member

Lately I've been playing exclusively with my monk (largely thanks to the Wave of Light and other skill buffs) and I think that OWE is not really as useful as it was when D3 got released or after the first few patches. Now it's really cheap to build a glass cannon monk without OWE, capable of obliterating a whole screen of enemies (including most elites) without getting hit much. It's easy to do this on MP0 with just 40k DPS, 32k health and about 300 all res (yeah, I'm broke). With more money I think it would be possible to do this up to MP2, possible MP3. Above that defensive skills and stats probably become much more important, but I don't have that much experience.

The fact that so many people still use OWE according to D3Ladders probably means one of three things:

Most of these people...

1) ...play on the higher MP levels, with gear optimized for OWE.

2) ...didn't bother to look for other options as the new patches came out.

3) ...don't care about efficiency and enjoy playing defensive builds.

EDIT: Sorry Hardcore players, you don't count. Seriously though, I forgot about HC. :)

Then again, I wouldn't rely on skill usage stats from D3Ladders in these discussions, because I think it only represents a small sample of total players.

Still, players belonging in the first group really stepped into a trap with OWE (IT'S A TRAP!), because you become more reliant on it the more you use it and build your gear around it. This means that when you want to get rid of it you most likely have to play on lower MP levels until you work on your resist deficiency. This was really bad when Inferno viable gear was expensive, but this isn't the case anymore, now these players can leave this vicious cycle more easily if they want to gain more skill and gear flexibility.

The real problem is when your gear is full of specific res + all res pieces. In this case you're screwed, because without OWE you'll lose resists no matter what. This is the reason I much prefer the dev's proposed solution of not allowing all res to spawn together with specific resistances on items and making single resists more powerful. If this resist stat on items could spawn with values up to a 100 (20 more than all resist), then together with exclusive resist types players who relied on both types of resists would lose at most 20% by switching to the all res route without OWE, compared to the current potential ~43%. Of course in reality, 99.99% percent of players wouldn't lose this much, because not many people have perfect gear (here meaning max elemental res + max all res in all possible slots).

The other two proposed solutions are much worse than this. Baking OWE into the monk class would be a balance nightmare, because other classes would have to change as well. I think the solution should be contained to the monk, this way it won't cause potentially new problems for the other classes as well.

Splitting up OWE into elemental resists and spreading the effect around other passives isn't a good idea either. People choose the other passives for a reason, so these resists would most likely be thought of only as an additional, largely irrelevant bonus. Even if they would be really powerful, you couldn't really rely on them, since the random elemental mods of Elites are... well, random and they are also dangerous. I can't really think of another case where resists would be as useful as against Elites, but single element resists wouldn't be reliable and I prefer my passives to be always useful. That's why I still think Near Death Experience and all similar passives should receive an always-on passive effect, similar to Spirit Vessel, but I digress.

Overall, I think that OWE is fine as it is, as an optional passive skill. If I had to choose a passive that should become an inherent monk ability, then I would go with Combination Strike.

It fits the monk really well and it's much closer to the monk's original design philosophy of a quick fighter using combos. It would of course require huge buffs (which it requires anyway IMHO) and possibly a redesign. Basically, I think this skill should make dropping a spirit spender for a second or even a third combo skill a viable choice, either by making it possible for combo moves to deal as much or nearly as much damage as a spirit spender and/or by giving combo skills other bonuses. I'm thinking about something like allowing the monk to do a Dashing Strike with the first strike of Way of the Hundred Fists or a Cyclone Strike with the third strike of Crippling Wave, but only if used with a combination of combo skills.

I think this would promote more skillful play for monks, at least for people who prefers something like this and it could also allow the return of some of the cool, original design ideas of the combo skills of the monk class, seen in the original reveal videos. In any case, the new combination strike should be really appealing primarily for dual-wielding monks, now that two-handed weapons became more powerful with the new and otherwise much needed spirit spender buffs.

Man, this got much longer than I intended it to be.
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2013
  7. pulli

pulli IncGamers Member

@above, and THAT would be an example of a bad always-on passive.. You don't want an "always on" passive to limit the building on OTHER SKILLS (notice the difference between skills and items here), as that simply makes a character always have the same idea..

An innate passive should be something that is always useful, independent of playstyle & other skill choices.
  8. Grishok

Grishok IncGamers Member

"The real problem is when your gear is full of specific res + all res pieces. In this case you're screwed, because without OWE you'll lose resists no matter what."

Well that would be me, and yes I play HC :)
    Upping the max amount single resistent can spawn with would solve a lot. I now have to sacrifice two affixes on an item to get sufficient resists for HC (and ok I fancy doing MP5 ubers soon). The only workaround is to get very high AR on all items, which is INCREDIBLY expensive. Search the AH for BiS items with high AR, they cost at least 5x times the same item with a single resist.

TLDR: Up the single resist spawn from 60 to 100 and OWE wouldn't screw you into a gear set.
  9. HardRock

HardRock IncGamers Member

To avoid this problem ideally it should be balanced so that it would only provide another option for building characters and utilizing two or more combo skills shouldn't always be the better choice compared to using spirit spenders. As for affecting weapon choices (and I did notice that you talked about skills, eventually, hence the edit of my post :)), the effect of the new Combination Strike could scale with attack speed, similarly to the Backlash rune of Mantra of Evasion (I hope that's the right rune). This way it would be balanced in respect to two-handed and one-handed weapons. In any case, Combination Strike should be changed, even if it remains an optional passive. It has so much untapped potential it's not even funny.

Also, if resistance ranges and restrictions on items wouldn't change, then personally I think that the always-on One With Everything would also be bad passive skill, since it would strongly deter monks who care about their defense from using items with only one type of resist on them, thereby limiting their item choices. In bad design that's right up there with limiting skill choices if you ask me.
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2013
  10. Ivan E

Ivan E IncGamers Member

Easy and fun change to Combination Strike:

Every different skill you use to deal damage increases all damage you deal by 15% (or whatever) for 5 seconds. A combination of generator, TR, and DS would give you a 45% boost to damage for 5 seconds, when you could start it all over. Combine with other damage skills, and you get awesome damage results, but at the cost of carrying defensive skills.

I wonder if for the OWE change, they could just make it something like slashing the benefit of the specific resistance school to 50% or lower, but boosting all resistances by a flat amount to compensate. So you'd get the same survivability, but less reliance on a specific affix. Of course, the best solution would be re-balancing the resistances to require specific gearing choices (damage types should have specific effects and debuffs, so resistance would be a conscious choice and all-res should be rarer), but that's just my preference. I feel like resistances in the game right now, as they currently are, are very uncreative, brute force solutions to potentially interesting design problems.
  11. snurrfint

snurrfint IncGamers Member

I don't think that the spirit generating passives need buffs. My Tempest Rusher have 18s/second fully buffed and can spam Cyclone strike pretty much how often he wants while running constantly with TR. I use the rune that reduces cost on Cyclone strike and have -5 cyclone strike spirit cost on my Stone of Jordan, so that it only costs 25 spirit. Together with the 25% boost to dmg against elites on my Jordan its a really effective rare monster killer.

The spirit generating passives and skills make you able to skip generators all together which is neat. The only problem is that there is only 1 skill to utilize it with; Tempest rush. I would love to see a skill in the monks arsenal that only cost say 15 spirit, and with a rune or item property that reduce the cost further. Quite similar to the skills in the DH's arsenal; Elemental arrow and Chakram.

I agree with most of you that OWE don't need a nerf anymore. I think defensive skills need to be OP to really be an alternative to the offensive ones. The problem with the monk is that there is not enough offensive passives to challenge it's status.
  12. pulli

pulli IncGamers Member

@snurfint: how much comes from items? Really wouldn't you be just as good without spirit regen and say a different passive?

Though I did actually say a similar thing. Though as I would do I would increase the spirit regen passive AND keep all other skill cost the same (maybe increase tempest rush cost if it gets too strong, but that's something time needs to tell). Lowering the cost of most spells has the same effect as buffing the spirit regeneration. (And as you can see in my suggestion I actually buff them the most by providing all spirit regeneration passive more base spirit).
  13. windstriker

windstriker IncGamers Member

Having enough spirit regen for TR is a really bad reason for why spirit regenerating passives shouldn't get buffed. At this moment, you use 2-3 spirit regenerators, 4 parts Inna's, SoJ, Inna's helm with spirit regen and most people also use Xephirian amu. And where does that take you if you have really good gear? To MP1 at the highest, MP0 for most people. Would more spirit regen from passives make much of a difference? Naah, you could probably exchange one spirit regen item for a more dps-oriented one but that would never take you even close to MP2. So TR-build wouldn't be much affected by the change, except for some more undergeared people being able to use it. And perhaps the gear costs would be a little bit lower, but I guess they'd still stay in the really high range.

To get really high and useful spirit regen now you need to make such extreme trade offs that it isn't really viable if you want to be effective. It is fun to play with, but it gets boring when you need to go down 2 MP-levels or more. If the spirit regen passives got some buffs, it would make more fun builds available without the use of extremely specific items.

And the only reason for the variety in passive skills is most of them are so bad that people pick them at random. Most do not affect your character in a meaningful way anyway.

Oh, btw, I believe the reason this hasn't been discussed much is that people like me have gotten tired of all the discussion. Especially after 1.0.7 where at least I had hoped for some meaningful passive changes. But instead it's been stated that "monks passives are in a good place" and they buffed bells, one of the most boring skills in the game imo. Main reason I'm taking a break from the game, even though I'll probably return with a patch that brings more meaningful changes.
  14. Genocides

Genocides IncGamers Site Pal

15. tony iii

tony iii IncGamers Member

The best way to improve OWE is instead of making all resistances equal to the highest resistance, add up all the individual resistances and make all resistances equal to the total (or a percentage of it if proves to high/game breaking). This way if you change an item that has cold resist to one with arcane resist you don't get penalized and it doesn't make the passive gear dependent to one resistance type.
  16. windstriker

windstriker IncGamers Member

Not sure at all if that's the "best" way. It would make OWE a truly mandatory passive (or damn close at least because you could use it with any gear), and if you make it a percentage you nerf the equipment of all the monks that use OWE atm.
  17. tony iii

tony iii IncGamers Member

Other characters already have passives that are pretty much mandatory.

If the passive becomes a character trait as a suggestion by developers than it would be mandatory.
  18. Kornkills

Kornkills IncGamers Member

All I really want is a base spirit regen of 2. As a hardcore player with limited resources, NDE and OWE are not going to get removed aside from possibly pvp. For #3 I use Guardians Path as a 2 handed bell monk.

If I had billions of gold, I could get my all resist to 600 without OWE... would be nice!