Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates

Monk or Demon Hunter? End-Game PVP/Paragon

Discussion in 'Monk' started by livejamie, Dec 5, 2012. | Replies: 14 | Views: 12184

1. livejamie

livejamie IncGamers Member

Just kind of getting back into the game after playing a lot of MOP.

Before MOP hit I leveled every class to 60 but kinda stopped after Killing Diablo on Inferno, as there weren't Paragon levels or things to do back then.

I think I enjoy my DH and my Monk the best but I can't really decide what to play.

Any recommendations as to what will be easier to grind with? Also which do you think will be better in PVP? I'm a 2400 player on multiple classes in WOW and that's what I enjoy the most.

I have a set of gear that I swap between the Monk and DH, the DH has about 200k DPS and the Monk has about 140k - I don't really notice a big difference in either as far as farming speed or survivability goes.

Any thoughts would be appreciated from people in a similar spot or people who have played their DH/Monk a lot.

Thanks!
  2. nurman

nurman IncGamers Member

I have played very little of both but I consider Monk "Cooler". :wave:

If you really do not notice any difference in farm speed, just go for the one which you like the most.
  3. InsaneAction

InsaneAction IncGamers Member

Those are 2 totally different play styles, Monk vs DH, that's what it really comes down to...

Personally I think the Monk is more enjoyable for Solo play because I can face tank most mobs.

DH is great fun with a tank/group play because I can just hang out in the back and blast some serious "dεεps"...

I guess what it comes down to is;

Do you like to run up to the mobs and attack them?

or

Do you like to kite away from the mob and attack them?
  4. Karth

Karth IncGamers Member

Paragon leveling: Both have their own mp0 farming builds and both can be quite effective at it. DH probably has an edge here, but monks are much more party-friendly.

PVP: I don't think anyone who at this point makes any recommendations about pvp should be making recommendations about pvp. There is too little known; nobody has any real information about how skills are going to be changed in pvp, there's no telling what kinds of gear might get nerfed for pvp, when do health globes drop if at all?, etc.

As InsaneAction said, for the moment it comes down to which you prefer. Even grinding; if you don't enjoy a character you'll probably grind less and thus get less paragon, even if it farms faster.
  5. kamap

kamap IncGamers Member

The DH hunter is quite a fast farmer if you do it on mp0 act3 or mp1 act1 and 2. That is for normal legendary farming.

Monk will be better if you want to farm keys (mp3+, set the mp as high as you can run comfortably, my monk mostly runs mp5 for keys and ubers on mp 6-7), the monk has more / better survival skills and can take more punches then the DH can (30% innate dmg reduction), if you put on some LoH or life steal, with nice APS (2 ish) the monk will beat the DH in surivability on higher MP.
    But on lower MP the DH wins out.

So it depends on what you want to do.

Here is a good write up of how to speed farm with a DH.
  6. Crensh

Crensh IncGamers Member

Tr monk will be faster to farm paragon with than dh. Also well balanced monk is always welcomed to join mp10 ubers thanks to MoC and Palm. Hard to say how will these classes do in pvp. Id say they will both have different roles to play.
  7. Dethklok

Dethklok IncGamers Member

In terms of farming items/gold/xp, you answered your own question there. Although kamap provided a link to my DH speedfarming guide, you can use essentially the same resource-efficiency itemization to make a Spirit-spender-only Monk speedfarmer. I might do a guide for that too sometime; right now mine is making it work (although not exceptionally well) with midrange gear but I'd want to mess around more with top gear before I deem myself an expert. However, in general the best farming is MP0 farming, and therefore the best farmers are the highest DPS with almost no consideration for survivability.

In terms of PvP, DH will definitely be a force; they are the ranged character with a auto-targeting, off-screen projectile and insane movement speed/skills. Is there a chance DHs will be OP and completely edge out Monk? Rather low chance, but yes, there is one. Is there a chance any other class will be so OP as to totally edge out DH? Impossible.

Unless you really, really like Hellfire Rings, you're best off going DH; it narrowly beats the Monk at virtually everything you care about.
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2012
  8. Ban Jo

Ban Jo IncGamers Member

Pve paragon > monk is the best 1.0.6 farmer if you go for an high end TR build, not even close to a dh. BUT this builds are usually worth more then 2B.

Even with a balanced monk like me, I can still go up to 60milion exp/hour (but dh will do better at this point imo)

uber > balanced monk

pvp > ?

If you'r goal is paragon fast, go for a good TR build sir. By the way I think that atm dh are the worst class with wd if you look at exploit farm or uber. Wizards exp/hour sucks also but I'm talking about end gear toons. I think it's up to your goals and your milions to find the better class for what you would like to do. Again, asking for advice without giving us at least an idea about your budget make hard giving any feedback :)
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2012
  9. windstriker

windstriker IncGamers Member

We are still talking about monk vs dh I guess? I do not know anything about dh, but barb is for sure a faster farmer than monk still. It is possible to make a monk that can use tempest rush and where all mobs die on contact in mp0, but as SW and TR only affect mobs in a 10yards radius you will have to run a bit back and forth. And, you cant instakill elites with an ability like rend as the good barbs does :)
    Or have I missed something?
  10. Flux

Flux Administrator

I just recently geared up a monk to do pretty well in Inferno, after DH has been my main for months. Monk I was surprised at how effective with mediocre gear. I used mostly self found twinks and bought a weapon and shield and 2 or 3 pieces of armor for maybe 500k a slot (at most) and even with just around 48k DPS he was romping.

Working through Acts 2-4 Inferno I had to turn it up to MP1 to make it all interesting, and after I finished I did some test runs in Act 2 and 3 on MP3-5, and his survival was surprising. Had little trouble on MP3, and even MP5 I could survive, but boss killing speed was ridiculously slow so I gave it up pending some better gear.

For the DH vs. Monk comparison... there's no way a DH could be even vaguely successful past MP0 with equivalent quality of gear that my Monk had. Even playing super kite glass cannon, which is pretty much what I did during my early self-found days in Inferno. Ultimately I like the DH best, since I like being super fast and zipping around the screen, but the Monk is quite a nice tanking option if you appreciate that style of play.

Definitely more expensive to gear up a Monk though, since you need more stats to survive. Res all + your OWE res, plus vit, life %, dex, life on hit/leech, CC, CD, and AS. DH can't entirely ignore res, but much less priority on it and vit and the other heal affixes, which frees her up for cheaper gear and MF/GF to a much greater/cheaper extent. My DH does MP4 or 5 with with 300 res and 32k hps and max MF -- can't imagine a monk getting out of town with those values.

I dunno how they'd compare at higher end gear, but probably the DH costs more for that since she's a better farming char and seems to be more popular at this point, so more demand for her gear.
  11. Dogbert

Dogbert IncGamers Member

How would you rank the classes for farming from best to worst? I see you placed monk as number 1 but what about the rest. This is xp/hour i assume.

Might have to level up my dh some day. You got me inspired now that i hear dh are much less gear reliant.

I totally agree with your monk conclusion. Monk is incredibly powerful with just mediocre gear. I realized this when i switched from a decent geared wizard to a poor man geared monk in early 1.0.3. It was survival mode 24/7 with my wizard and easymode farming with my monk.
    I was very surprised to say the least.
  12. windstriker

I started a DH yesterday. Bought some quite cheap equipment and followed the multishot guide. So far, I'm really impressed of what it can do. Especially as I've been gearing somewhat for extra MF. I'll continue to upgrade it a bit in the coming weeks I guess.
    Now I've got a barb, a dh and a monk geared. The monk is my main with paragon 72 and it's fun to play and far from weak. My barb probably farms just as fast, but has much less paragon and MF. The dh I believe will become just as good as the others in a few lvls.
    The game feels much more fun when you can change which character to farm with now and then, even though you run the exact same areas :D
  13. Dethklok

Dethklok IncGamers Member

I am a big fan of the TR build, and I've used it, and... that assessment doesn't give the DH a fair shake. Perhaps your DH farming build was suboptimal? I think a Multishot DH actually has a slight advantage, but a good TR build* is definitely a Tier 1 farmer, and any significant difference in gear budget would give the advantage to the character with the better gear.
    That's unfair to the WD; DH is far, far worse at ubers. Fortunately, ubers aren't worth doing more than once; one Hellfire Ring is plenty.

Also, the Wizard class sucks at everything worth doing (to include PvP once available), I'm continually amazed at its popularity. Masochists, if you ask me.

*A lot of people noob it up. Hint: "Resource generator" should refer to your Inna's Radiance, your Guardian's Path, your Templar... but not your left-click. If you need crap like Deadly Reach (or Hungering Arrow or Spectral Blades) because your gear doesn't provide enough Spirit (or Hatred or whatever)... get better gear, pleb.
  14. Dogbert

Dogbert IncGamers Member

Why are so many people saying wizard is the worst? Alkaizer runs in Archon mode seems pretty effective to me.
    Also aren't you forgetting how good wizards are in uber runs? Perma freeze ftw.

Haven't tried it yet but apparently WD zero dog sacrifice build is very effective for ubers.

Dethklok: How do you know you will get a good hellfire ring from your first crafting attempt?
    I'm with you regarding resource generation though.
  15. windstriker

I believe it's more about the fact that you do not know that you will get a good hellfire ring in 20 attempts. Ive made loads of hellfire rings, and none of them have gotten critchance. And the one thing I want on a ring is critchance. So I've pretty much stopped farming for them, because it's not like the chance to get critchance is higher on the next ring :)

Btw, does anyone have a youtube video of some really effective TR-farming? I get irritated by the mobs bouncing away from me when I do not kill them instantly, how does it look if they die right on contact? :p