Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Monk "Oh cr4p!" passives

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 Hardcore Forum' started by Grishok, Feb 12, 2013. | Replies: 5 | Views: 996

1. Grishok

Grishok IncGamers Member

While doing A3 key runs @MP2 with Mn_Swe2 I had 2 close-ish calls, 1st time I got frozen near lots of arcane beams, time 2nd jailed on multiple desecrator spots. Serenity + bail out after CC broke saved me twice and NDE didn't even pop, but still my HP dropped too quickly for comfort.

Although quite exciting and fun, I'm planning to avoid this in the future :) I rely on LOH with fast attack speed + some life regen to keep my health full, but if I'm CC'ed I'm not (always) able to do LOH damage.

This got me thinking on options for my 3rd passive:
    - NDE: current choice, has save me twice before on my journey to P12 (thanks NDE ;)). Doesn't do anything in normal play though. Would have probably saved me in above situations if it came that far.
    - Pacifism: used by Mn_Swe his monk, -75% damage reduction while CC'ed pretty much makes those situations not dangerous any more. Doesn't do anything outside those though.
    - Exalted soul: Used by a P100 monk who has the strategy to always have TR + spirit available to bail out when necessary. I just KNOW sooner or later I will run into a hairy situation where my spirit is 0 and I can't use Serenity and TR, which would mean I'm screwed. This could also be fixed by spirit regen on an item, but finding a really good one is pretty difficult, it's only on weapons and helms.

Then there are some other things which can help out in CC: SSS, reduced CC time on items, etc.
    All 3 passives have pros and cons, interested in opinions from other HC monks!

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Hippotion-2165/hero/10218909
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2013
  2. Kornkills

Kornkills IncGamers Member

I've been using almost the same skills on my way to PL44.

Fist of Thunder/Thunderclap can teleport you from your current spot to a mob even if you are jailer'ed. You still won't be able to move at the new mob, but you will be off desc

If serenity is on cool down and frozen drops, run and get out of it. It is not worth risking getting frozen and then pummeled with no escape.

As for the zero spirit, I have only hit zero spirit like twice... it is hard to do. I don't really spam my aura much, and I use most my spirit for TR between mobs. If you are super concerned about having zero spirit, you could find a 1 hander with spirit regen on it to swap to if you're at zero spirit and have to run, just remember it will be lost if someone bad happens :)

best of luck
  3. Grishok

Grishok IncGamers Member

Good tip on FoT when jailed, actually didn't know that!

Don't forget vortex, you run out and you get sucked back in just when them ice balls explode :-(

I might try exchanging BoH for SSS, see how that feels.
  4. VagrantKing

VagrantKing IncGamers Member

I used 'Mantra of Evansion-Divine Protection' while I was leveling and was undergeared when I first hit 60.

If you want another "Oh cr4p" passive, then this would one of them.
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2013
  5. Grishok

Grishok IncGamers Member

I've used that also before I switched to MoH - Time of Need. Lately I've been using overawe and you get used to the extra damage soo quickly it's hard to take it off again :-(

Very nice mantra though on higher MP I think!
  6. Grishok

Grishok IncGamers Member

Have been comparing various mantras for a DC occurence (Overawe, Submission, Hard Target, Time of Need), turns out Backlash is quite good for that scenario. 15% dodge ups the EHP and it does 35% x APS x dodge change = continuous DPS (in my case 31%, approx 15K).

On A3 MP0 it destroys mobs, unfortunately damage is too low vs elites currently, but when I double my damage in the future I think it will kill elites too :)

For soloing MP0 I've therefore switched to Backlash, more EHP + reasonable damage (ofcourse not as much as overawe) and it feels safer knowing I can survive most DC's :) I think only stacked poison/desecrator/arcane will still kill me on DC, trying to stack more life regen for that.