Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Monk Build (Please critique!)

Discussion in 'Monk' started by DemonStomper, Mar 27, 2012. | Replies: 10 | Views: 2025

1. DemonStomper

DemonStomper IncGamers Member

Monk Build (Please critique!)

Here's my Monk build for general use. Questions? Comments? Changes? Also, I would like some opinions on which rune to use for Mystic Ally.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#acRijS!XTY!aaaZ.Z

MOUSE SKILLS
    Primary: Fists of Thunder (Bounding Light)
    Secondary: Tempest Rush (Northern Breeze)

ACTION BAR SKILLS
    Defensive: Inner Sanctuary (Safe Haven)
    Techniques: Sweeping Wind (Blade Storm)
    Focus: Mystic Ally
    Mantras: Mantra of Retribution (Transgression)

PASSIVE SKILLS
    Sieze the Initiative
    Near Death Experience
    Transcendence
  2. Kintara

Kintara IncGamers Member

Re: Monk Build (Please critique!)

My concern is that Tempest Rush and Sweeping Wind won't deal fast enough damage in a single/low-number target situation. I suspect boss fights might be a bit more taxing than normal. But then, Monks always seem to have more AoE than they know what to do with, and not enough single-target stuff. Fists of Thunder should work okay, I guess.

And Seize the Initiative is probably fine, but Resolve might be worth playing with. It sort of depends on how much Dex gear you get, I guess.
  3. DemonStomper

Thanks for the input! I suppose the primary purpose for my build would be for leveling in the later levels if that makes any difference.

Also, what is your input on Mystic Ally in regards to rune choice?
  4. Kintara

Kintara IncGamers Member

Mystic Ally runes are hard for me to pick on the grounds of strategy. I'd just pick the one with the coolest graphics. ;) Okay...lemme think about it.

I don't really like Eternal Ally. The resurrection mechanic seems annoying. I'd recommend Water or Earth Ally, as they do decent single target damage. Water Ally seems like a good choice, really.
  5. Such Violent Storms

Such Violent Storms IncGamers Member

I'd use Dashing Strike over Tempest Rush for the better mobility and rune effects.
  6. Torr

Torr IncGamers Member

For your primary you want your favorite spirit generator so I have no problem with picking what you like there. I kinda agree with Kintara in that I don't know if you want both Tempest Rush and Sweeping Wind in a build. They are more "slow and steady" damage adds, and together they cost 100 spirit plus the ongoing cost for the Rush. I would pick one. In my opinion Tempest Rush is a bit of a restrictive skill, in that it makes you run through enemies rather than using your attack skills. It's just not my cup of tea... though I'm sure there are players out there who will find a good use for it. I'm much more fond of Blade Storm.

As for the passives, I see NDE as a hardcore skill. Nothing wrong with it, but I wouldn't give up other passives just to have a "get out of jail free" card. You have to think in terms of how often you're really going to die... because that is the only time that it will ever be useful. There are some other rather nice passives that you could have... 100 extra spirit, better dodge chance, more damage, better resistances, etc.
  7. robotxtacy

robotxtacy IncGamers Member

As far as simply the runed version goes for mystic ally and your current build I would go for water ally or earth ally. Water would be nice for the extra damage when it performs the 120% wd wave attack and earth for the 10 percent HP boost. In terms of your build you might be lacking for damage a bit as tempest rush is more of a spender that allows you to control the crowd of monsters and your positioning briefly while doing a smaller percentage of damage than other spenders. You also might lack mobility issues with keeping your vortex up without dashing strike assuming you want to keep it at 6 stacks as often as possible.

Now with passives I like them except for near death. Are you playing softcore or HC? Because I don't think near death will be as useful to you while leveling up in softcore until hell or inferno where you are feeling the pain of repair costs. I personally would switch it out with something that gives more synergy to your build. I was thinking replace near death with chance of resonance or resolve if you are having trouble fighting monsters. Chance of resonance has a nice spirit regen ( likely your build isnt really a heavy spending spirit build unless you plan on spamming your mantra quite often) that works well with inner sanctuary and overall would provide you a lot more use then near death.

I think the rune you have for mantra of ret. could possibly get changed to something a little more useful. In terms of having that 8 percent attack speed which is meh you are losing out on an additional 20 percent relfection of damage that ALSO reflects ranged which is insane, or a chance to regen more spirit when damage is reflected which would add nicely to the passive of spirit regen should you choose that or collateral damage which adds additional aoe damage when proc. which would be nice synergy to your sweeping wind.
  8. starrise

starrise IncGamers Member

For single target damage, check out Lashing Tail Kick with Hand of Ytar (last rune). It's 200% weapon damage for 30 spirit, and it is a ranged AOE with 80% snare. I'd recommend it in almost any build simply for the incredible versatility.
  9. Zerk

Zerk IncGamers Member

10. DemonStomper

Thanks for the critiques. Any other suggestions?
  11. Rhipstyle

Rhipstyle IncGamers Member

Just remember guys that the serious part of the game is yet to come. No one can predict what would be the best build for Monk classes for now. As what the developer's said "The game is easy to play but hard to master". Just wait until the game is officially released and try to experiment more so you can come up with the best build for your monk. Of course, it will always depend on the situation of the game, if it's going to be a pvp or pve build.