Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates

Monk accent?

Discussion in 'Monk' started by Urzuxo, Mar 7, 2012. | Replies: 12 | Views: 3750

1. Urzuxo

Urzuxo IncGamers Member

Monk accent?

I was just wondering if anybody knew what accent the monk has? I can't help but notice the obvious similarities between the male monk and the male draenei in WoW. What part of the world is the accent from?
  2. Valkemen

Valkemen IncGamers Member

Re: Monk accent?

Accent: Russia

For me, Diablo's Monk is a mix of 3 archetypes:
    chinese shaolin,
    eastern orthodox christian
    hinduism
  3. Bash_

Bash_ IncGamers Member

Pretty much spot on Valkemen. While I do not have access to the beta, the exact same thoughts come to my mind. His fighting arts do seem shaolin, while his appearance and personality screams russian.

I will name my monk Rasputin.
  4. Valkemen

Afaik, he wasn't a monk. ;)

5. Bowzer

Bowzer <a href="payments.php">IncGamers Site Pal</a><br>D

The monk kind of sounds like this guy:

[video=youtube;x2RsSe_ZzWs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2RsSe_ZzWs[/video]
  6. Bash_

Bash_ IncGamers Member

His nickname was "The Mad Monk", and he was a Russian Orthodox Monk.

7. Valkemen

Please, show me a real source with information, that he was the orthodox monk.
    In that case, Wikipedia not count ;)

8. Kintara

Kintara IncGamers Member

How about the dictionary? ;)

9. Valkemen

10. Kintara

Kintara IncGamers Member

Cool. I think I know what the dictionary folks were thinking though. I guess they meant "peasant monk" to mean "starets."

11. Jedouard

Jedouard IncGamers Member

Yeah, Rasputin was not a monk. He was a charlatan. The Russian Orthodox establishment despised him.

Here's an interesting bit of info: at that time, saying anything derogatory about the Tsar or his family was illegal and demanded arrest. Due to illicit and vulgar media at that time, such as post cards portraying Rasputin and the Tsaritsa fornicating, it is known that rumors about the Tsaritsa having an affair with Rasputin, sometimes with the Tsar joining in, were rampant. But, if you look at the arrest records at the time, there were far fewer arrests of people making disparaging remarks about the Tsaritsa than any other of the high up royalty. Why? Because people including the police believed the rumors enough that they didn't think they warranted arresting. That contempt for the Tsaritsa and, also, for a Tsar who could not keep "control" over his own wife, precipitated the February 1917 Revolution (March in our Gregorian calendar).

Check out Boris Kolinitskii, if your interested in this kind of stuff. Kolinitskii was a professor of mine in Russia and he is awesome. He sometimes gets groundlessly lambasted by Western scholars who prefer a more statistical approach to historical analysis, but as Kolinitskii pointed out, what people think dictates their actions far more than what is real, and that can cause some unexpected and interesting shifts in reality for those who just look at statistics without an understanding of popular perception to interpret them.

Also check out Orlando Figes.

Regarding the D3 monk, I wish they had used a real Russian person with a Russian accent. I know that Russian and English speakers are not going to make up a big portion of their English audience, but for those of us who fall into that category, his voice sounds awful.
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2012
  12. Bash_

Bash_ IncGamers Member

OK, not a monk by traditional means, however he was considered a "mystic" by the general public (or so we are led to believe), just like the monk in D3. Plus the beard. That's why I see the obvious resemblance.

But interesting discussion, none the less.
  13. Jedouard

Jedouard IncGamers Member

Well, I don't know that "mystic" accurately describes how Rasputin was viewed. A good portion of the population thought he was in consort with evil powers. Those were usually the lower working classes. The intellectuals and aristocracy mostly just thought he was a charlatan, and that the Tsar and Tsaritsa were stupid for believing him - thinking this put them on par with the lower working classes whom they looked down upon. And no one really knows what the peasant class thought because they were mostly illiterate and so texts haven't survived to even determine how well informed they were about the whole Rasputin thing.

In any case, being in consort with the evil powers doesn't remind me of the D3 monk. Rasputin or no, the D3 monk does have some stereotypical features of a Russian Orthodox monk and the (horrendously fake) Russian accent.