Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates

Mojo over Shield ??

Discussion in 'Witch Doctor' started by TheDarkSide, Sep 15, 2012. | Replies: 8 | Views: 8164

1. TheDarkSide

TheDarkSide Clan Officer - US East Hardcore

So I was trying to upgrade my DPs and bought a cheap mojo to see how much better or worse it would be. The mojo adds about 3k DPS but one step into the Wretched Pits and I was almost dead.. Put my shield back on immediatley and I dont think I can be convinced otherwise. How do WD survive in Inferno without a shield is the question IM asking ?? Maybe my items are weak still for act 2 Inferno ....

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Hellswraith-1116/hero/26175184
  2. PhoeniX Skye

PhoeniX Skye IncGamers Member

If I take my Mojo off I lose 12k DPS.... that's including the Int on it but it's still almost 30% of my total DPS. I think you may need to up your DPS to kill things more efficiently. Also notice that I use Jungle Fortitude and Bad Medicine to reduce the damage that I take. I've beaten Inferno with this setup (actually less overall stats since I started shopping afterwards), and I've always had a Shield in my inventory to switch to if I needed the extra defense, but I never did (I used this practice when I was playing my Wiz). I also noticed that I have similar Armor as you (it shows that mine's higher now because of Enchantress) even though I have a Mojo instead of Shield; perhaps look for +Armor items or +Str in some of your items.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/PhoeniXSkye-1481/hero/6223612
  3. TheDarkSide

TheDarkSide Clan Officer - US East Hardcore

Well after switching a few skills around Ive found a decent combination I can use. Ive managed to run The Skeleton King quest to The Butcher several times now in Inferno with 5 stack NV running. Still havent found much of anything yet but I guess we all have that issue.

So Im back with my shield but changed up some skills.. Now using Rain of Toads as Primary, Bears secondary, Garg Stun roon, Zombie Dogs- Life Leech roon, SoulHarvest - extended time rune, SPirit Walk-Jaunt.. Jungle Fort, Gruesome Feast, Pierce the Veil..

My Base DPS is right at 14k. I have over 600+ all resists, and 49k life, plenti of LOH , 4k defense..

With this set up and if I hit 5 on a SH - Ive seen my damage spike upwards of 20k. I mainly attack with ROT and if something charges or gets too close I hit em with the Bears till my mana runs low then switch back to ROT to finish them off. Gruesome Feast will pop in between there a few times and then my damage will spike upwards of 28-30k..

So Ive managed to solo my way to the Sewers in act2 but Im not ready to try Belial just yet I dont think. Ill see how I fare once I make it to Kulles area but so far so good...
  4. Galtrovan

Galtrovan IncGamers Member

I have a mojo sitting in my stash that will give me 4K+ additional DPS, but after running around with it a bit, which should be read as running away from everything in fear of death (Act 3/Act 4 Inferno), I put my shield back on. With the current state of the game, I'm never swapping my shield out for a mojo regardless of the DPS increase. Will the difficulty nerf coming in 1.0.5 change my mind? Well, I don't know. From the info at hand, with a 25% damage decrease coming to Inferno I probably could swap out my shield for a mojo. But on the other hand, there is the "Monster Power" system with "increased difficulty for increased rewards". Depending on how all this pans out, I may keep all my defensive skills and shield and play in the "increased difficulty for increased rewards".
  5. Aahzmadius

Aahzmadius IncGamers Member

It may depend on the mojo and shield. I was at around 23k DPS with a shield, using Grave Inustice and Soul Harvest. I found a mojo that gave me an additional 6k DPS, which was big enough for me to change. I switched out Soul Harvest for Zombie Dogs (effectively using them as a shield) and switched to JF, BM, and Zombie Handler passives. This allowed me to farm Act 3, whereas before, with the shield, I was dying too often. I'm hoping that in 1.05 I can go back to the GI, GF, Spirit Vessel build I like-but we'll see. (Tonight!)
  6. Caris

Caris IncGamers Member

Once I found I had enough defensive stats without a shield I switched to a mojo. I' at 4k armor, just shy of 600 resist, running a pet build. I die when my pets are dead and skills are on CD, which happens very very rarely now. Mostly only to an elite pack of those bulls in the cave in act 3.
    But seeing you play HC I would probably stick with the shield aswell. Slower killing speed beats dying.
  7. Galtrovan

Galtrovan IncGamers Member

I may try my mojo again. My armor and resists have gone up since I last tried it. But I really like being able to take on the bulls in the ice cave without dieing. Is there a way to know that surviving a charge-hit was due to the shield-block going off?
  8. andrern

andrern IncGamers Member

I get all resist and have ~700 all resist w/ ~900 phys resist. Even though it reduces almost 70% damage at that time, my 30k HP is drained quite fast and will still die in 4-5 hits. So imo HP is not significant unless it adds, say, 5k HP. In other hands, resist is more important although gives diminishing result. When I switched from shield to mojo, i only gets 3-4 hits for living. So I must attack from afar and untouched using Dire Bats and Acid Clouds also Wall of Zombie. Max damage with low resist, but die in the Elite pack with "very fast" criteria, in that case, go cooperative and get a tank. It helps him when you have 70k raw damage and Zombie Bearing. In higher play, you can deal much larger damage if you have over 100k then you'll be sure the enemies will die before even touching you while using Dire Bats, thus low resist and go all damage is also can.
    so I'd say it depends on the playing style, if your damage is high enough (>80k) go full damage with mojo or else go defense. Mojo will give you significant damage boost.
  9. clowninmypants

clowninmypants IncGamers Member

Agree. If you push your int up far enough and get about 35k life you should be fine. Try Zuni or thing of the deep with 200+ int in off hand. Works fine for me.