Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates

Missing Spell Information

Discussion in 'Wizard' started by Kadgar, Mar 29, 2012. | Replies: 27 | Views: 2443

1. Kadgar

Kadgar IncGamers Member

Missing Spell Information

Even with the detailed tooltips, the description of many spells is pretty bad.
    There is a lot of missing data at nearly every spell / rune.

E.g.:
    Blizzard
    • Are enemys slowed?
    • If so, how much?
    • How big is the affected area?
    • How does a faster weapon speed affect the spell? (More ticks? More dmg?)
    • Stark Winter ("Increases the size of Blizzard to cover 22 yards") Radius or diameter?

Shock Pulse
    • How many yards or seconds do the bolts move?
    • Do kills of the 70% explosion trigger further explosions?

Prodigy
    • 4 AP per per hit or per cast (which hits at least once)?
    • So Shock Pulse with 3 Hits 4 AP or 12 AP? What if 2 charges hit the same enemy?
    • Do explosions of Explosive Bolts also count and generate AP?

I Could continue this for every spell.

Where should such questions (and after release) answers from tests be collected?
    Here in the forum? In Diablonuts comments? In the Wiki?
  2. ElementEight

ElementEight IncGamers Member

3. Kadgar

Kadgar IncGamers Member

Re: Missing Spell Information

Thanks for the link.
    But besides the discussion about the tooltips, I'm still looking for the best place to collect the questions and answers about spell data Blizzard does not show us at the moment.
  4. ElementEight

Oh, the link was mostly to underline the idea that there's not really a way... until we can test stuff out. DiabloNut might have some information we can't see there, though. Google that, for now.

If you have some specific question, I'm generally pretty good at guessing and interpreting stuff, so discussing may also answer some questions or at least guide in the right direction.

5. HardRock

HardRock IncGamers Member

I think you should ask questions about specific skills in the class forums. Many beta testers frequent these forums and they may be able to answer your questions.

Based on the official video, yes, they are. You can find said video here: http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/class/wizard/active/blizzard

I think all cold damage slows the movement of enemies by 30%. Attack speed is unaffected unless a skill's tooltip says otherwise.

Looking at the official video I would guess about 16 yards.

Unknown. If it's implemented as an area DoT, then I think it will be more damage at fixed tick intervals, since every DoT works that way in the beta. If it's not a DoT, then most likely the frequency of hits will be increased with more APS.

The range of AoE effects are always written as diameter.

About 36 yards and it takes them less than 1 second. Here, I recorded a video of it just for you: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--Q8BtewgMs

No.

Don't hesitate. :)

We won't be able to answer questions about skills like Prodigy, that aren't in the beta, unless they are known to have similar mechanics to one of the available skills.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2012
  6. HardRock

double post
  7. ElementEight

The Barbarian's Weapon Master passive has a similar mechanic (available, so we can test it!) which gives 3 fury per hit. If you hit 5 foes with a single attack, you effectively gain 15. If you hit nothing, you gain nothing.

Probably 12. Hitting with 2-3 charges (on one target) isn't something you should expect to do much except against very large foes (and you need to hug em).

This, we cannot test. My educated guess is that no, as it's not really the skill itself, but rather, an offshoot.

8. ElementEight

I must've broken something. Damn!

The Barbarian's Weapon Master passive has a similar mechanic (available, so we can test it!) which gives 3 fury per hit. If you hit 5 foes with a single attack, you effectively gain 15. If you hit nothing, you gain nothing.

Probably 12. Hitting with 2-3 charges (on one target) isn't something you should expect to do much except against very large foes (and you need to hug em).

This, we cannot test. My educated guess is that no, as it's not really the skill itself, but rather, an offshoot.

9. HardRock

Great, you destroyed the forums. :)
  10. xSixCHeeSY

xSixCHeeSY IncGamers Member

Along the same vein for Ray of Frost, the official site states that the Cold Blood Rune reduces the casting cost to 0 Arcane Power. Does this mean that the entire channel is free, or only the initial cost?
  11. stillman

stillman IncGamers Member

I think it really costs 12 AP, but someone else will confirm.

Acrane Torrent:
    What is the AoE at the landing site? Is the 175% weapon damage per second, or is it each missile that hits? Is the AP cost per second?

Ray of Frost:
    What's to stop you from waving the ray across the screen hitting the entire front line with RoF for a microsecond each and slowing them all by 30%? Same with Disintegrate combined with Temporal Flux? That is, how long do you need the spells to contact an enemy before it is slowed?

Frost Nova with Shatter:
    Can you cause an ongoing chain reaction of Frost Novas?
  12. melianor

melianor D3 Wizard Moderator

"Whenever you deal damage." - If a spell hits a target and then actually deals damage, then your wizard gains 4 HP. This has nothing to do with "per cast". Just deal damage and you gain 4 AP!

Shock pulse with 3 hits that deal damage will give you 12 AP. This is not actually about hits, but dealing damage.

About the other spells i have no definite answer.

13. HardRock

Let me be that someone. Yes, in-game the tooltip says 12 AP for Cold Blood.

175% weapon damage per cycle. The length of one cycle depends on your weapon speed. With 1 APS the cycle is one second, with 2 APS it's 0.5 second and so forth. Similarly, the AP cost is per cycle.

With Ray of Frost, the beam doesn't seem to hit enemies instantly, even if you point your cursor at them. I think it works like this to prevent the scenario you described, where one Wizard could slow down the entire first line of enemies easily with quick sweeps. I'll have to test this to make sure I remember correctly.

Disintegrate probably doesn't have any such limitation, but I didn't have the opportunity to test it when it was available in the beta.

One other thing. The graphic for beam spells always stays visible for at least 0.5 second. However, they only seem to deal damage until you hold their hotkey down. This means, that you can get really low damage ticks, if you fire them off in short bursts or when you let go of their hotkey or get interrupted by a monster just after a tick. This also has the strange side effect that you can fire a beam for 0.1 second and start moving while the beam is still firing.

I believe you can, but not indefinitely. I think the duration for the chaining effect lasts as long as the original freeze would have lasted. Will look into this as well.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2012
  14. stillman

Thanks. It might take a looooong time to kill something in Inferno, so maybe Shatter isn't so great.
  15. HardRock

Ok, so I was right about Ray of Frost, it has a small delay before it locks onto targets and actually starts to deal damage and slows enemies. You can't swipe it left and right on your screen too quickly or it won't do anything.

As for Shatter, it seems that it only works with the victims of your original Frost Nova, so it can't chain indefinitely. This also limits the maximum duration to 6 seconds (3 seconds for base Frost Nova and additional 3 seconds for the Shatter Nova) if you time a kill perfectly.
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2012
  16. ElementEight

So, Shatter. Useful with high single target DPS builds for chain-freezing?
  17. HardRock

You can't really chain-freeze a single enemy. Also, like I said, only the victims of your original Frost Nova spell seem to shatter into another nova, so the duration is limited to 6 seconds with a perfectly timed kill at the end of your Frost Nova.

Shatter is amazing, when more enemies ambush you after you used your nova.
  18. stillman

You mean it won't reset the 3 second timer on already frozen monsters? Or, are once-frozen monsters immune to further freezing altogether, meaning you can only freeze newer monsters closing in?

19. Elfik

Elfik IncGamers Member

I think what he meant was that killing monsters on freeze timers from secondary (or tertiary) frost novas will not cause additional frost novas, so there won't be any tertiary or quaternary frost novas. I believe that already frozen monsters would get their timers reset by secondary frost novas. I don't know about freeze immunity, but I don't think there is any, based on hardrock's post.

It seems like a cool skill to have, but if you can't kill monsters fast enough (like in inferno possibly), then it's pretty much useless. Inferno will have 1) tougher mons 2) CC reduction

Good thing it's unlocked at level 12 ;)

20. HardRock

Right, that's what I meant, thanks Elfik. The timer does reset on shatter, that's why I said that the maximum duration is 6 seconds.