Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates

Microsoft Vista and DII issues

Discussion in '1.13 Bug Reports & Suggestions' started by Gorny, May 24, 2007. | Replies: 236 | Views: 256122

1. Gorny

Gorny Banned

Microsoft Vista and DII issues

*sticky for discussion/help/troubleshooting*
  2. Nikolai

Nikolai IncGamers Member

There are a lot of different theories regarding why Diablo 2 & LoD have rather a lot of problems under Vista. Leaving the problems to one side, as there is absolutely no point going into them here, the only demonstrably permanent and (nigh-on) absolute solution I am aware of is to use Microsoft Virtual PC, which is FREE, and run a shell of the operating system of your choice. Performance may be slightly impacted due to it running under a shell, but it's a damned sight better than some of the reports of DII / LoD running under Vista.
  3. wumws

wumws IncGamers Member

i can play diablo2 with vista. But i need to change the compatibility and it will prompt up allow before running
  4. Anguloce

Anguloce IncGamers Member

Hm. I've had no issues whatsoever playing Diablo 2 and LoD. Compatability issues did not show either. The prompt is always there for really anything in Vista unless disabled.
  5. HijodelDuce

HijodelDuce IncGamers Member

Can even install Diablo 2

I can't even get it to install I keep getting this messgae
    [​IMG]:starry: :disappointed:
  6. Nikolai

Nikolai IncGamers Member

o_O
    Wow...uh...wow.

In that case, may I heartily recommend my earlier suggestion of Virtual PC (see top of thread). Provided, of course, that you have access to a legitimate copy of another operating system.
  7. tsactuo

tsactuo IncGamers Member

I haven't tried installing d2 vista because I just copied the D2 folder from my old XP installation.

The only problem I had with D2 is that the game wouldn't start if I used the AERO Vista interface. If you have aero and want to run the game without problem just right-click on the D2 shortcut, go to the compatibilty tab and check the "Disable Desktop Composition". With that option ON I never had any problems.
  8. Dracoy

Dracoy IncGamers Member

Im using Vista Home Premium no problem s.
  9. Deathsrevenge

Deathsrevenge IncGamers Member

im using vista home i think on a new hp laptop i picked up about a week ago

i can install d2 fine no problems, but once i attempt to install diablo 2 expansion, problems come up.

here's what is happening

i put in the exp disk, reads it, begins installing, asks for d2 play, reads it, goes halfway through installation no problems, it then asks for the d2 exp disk again, this is when problems happen, it reads it, gets about 4 bubbles of installation in, then asks for the d2 exp disk again even though it is already in, i've tried reinstalling d2 numerous times, and this happens every time.

any advice?
  10. Nikolai

Nikolai IncGamers Member

Have you tried installing LoD on a different PC? It sounds more like it's a problem with the disk, rather than the laptop.
  11. Deathsrevenge

yup, installing it on my old pc that i'm giving to my bro

installed just fine.
  12. TallyHo

TallyHo IncGamers Member

I have Vista Home Premium on an HP Pavillion desktop purchased a little over a week ago.

My installation efforts were very similar to Deathsrevenge; 2nd time inserting d2 LoD disk and failed install soon after. Check the back side, or shiny side of the LoD disk. Mine had several wear circles etched into the disk from years of usage on my old computer. Installing on a new computer and the install program just couldn't read the info it needed. Net result? Had to go buy a new set of disks. Installation successful.

My Vista related problems are two-fold:

Diablo program was terminated due to a background HP dialog box that was asking me if I wanted to update some files. Uhhh, no thanks Mr. H and Mr. P, now where did Diablo go?

Second problem seems to occur after playing (either on-line or SP) for a certain length of time. Twice, I've been playing well over an hour, maybe two, and suddenly the frame rate begins to drop. 15 or 20 seconds later, the game CTD.
  13. nicro tower

nicro tower Diablo: IncGamers Member

what does ctd mean again?

and the only problem i seem to have with diablo 2 and vista is the centering... can't see the game name properly :(
  14. zxia

zxia IncGamers Member

soln..i think

Basically you need to install some keys.
    Windows XP have a set of keys under "etcetc/Explorer/Shell folders" in registry that are deleted in Vista. And diablo 2 looks for those keys for where the "start menu is" ...sure is stupid that it can't even find a start menu
    If it can't find the start menu it just dies. So to install just simply need to replace these deleted keys. It turned out to be a little complicated but i think I got it to work. Currently installing it right now, hopefully no glitches. Will post later..yes call it laziness.
  15. Deathsrevenge

please tell us if it works out or not because i would like to find out where to get those keys
  16. TallyHo

TallyHo IncGamers Member

CTD = Crash to Desktop

You might want to play around with your resolutions (display settings) a bit then start a Dii game. See what happens with different resolutions

17. zxia

zxia IncGamers Member

registry editing

http://www.atomicmpc.com.au/forums.asp?s=3&c=12&t=12936

follow that instructions
    but instead of
    "
    C:\\Users\\%USERNAME%\\AppData\\Roaming\\Microsoft\\Windows\\Start Menu\\Programs
    "

I got lazy and just put in
    "
    C:\
    "

also u will need another string called
    "
    Desktop
    "

just like programs, u can be lazy and put

"C:\ "

there too

basically now the d2 cd will look for desktop at
    "C:\ "
    and add start menu icons to
    "C:\"

lol so if u want shortcuts u need to make them after the install, also it will add shortcuts in C:\ i think

im sure i missed something..but have fun and always try ur best

also make sure u run setup.exe as admin or is it install.exe? lol

regarding compatibility issues, if u right click any

"etcetc.exe"

program u can mess with some settings in the "compatibility" tab, i think i checked somethings there so D2 doesn't crash to the desktop right away lol.
    vista likes to trash n crash my old programs.

regarding the

"C:\
    "

instead

of

"C:\\Users\\%USERNAME%\\blahblahblah "

i actually think its mandatory to put C:\. anyways gl.
    everything i know. quotations marks not needed btw.
  18. IceHeartLoki

IceHeartLoki IncGamers Member

I've also been having some compatability issues, but with XP. I start it up, and it takes 5-10 minutes to load the intro video, showing just a black screen in the meantime and freezing the computer. Same thing happens after I select a character type for Single Player.

Computer definitely has more than enough requirements... Windows XP, 3 GB of ram, more than enough space on the harddrive, excellent graphics card.

Has anyone else had this same problem? I know with some older games like Unlimited Adventures, the computer's too fast, so it needs to run through something like DSBox to run at the proper speed. Is that likely the case here, or is there something I'm missing?
  19. gwyddn

gwyddn IncGamers Member

I've found that D2 will get slower the longer it I play on my laptop (CoreDuo, 2GB ram, intel 950 graphics, Vista Home Premium). I found that if I switched to desktop and checked the Windows Task Manager and it said Diablo was using 1.5gb of memory. So it seems Diablo 2 has a memory leak with Vista... at least on my system. I updated the graphics drivers for my system but that hasn't fixed anything. Next I'm thinking of trying the Virtual PC. I was trying to get winxp working off a flash drive but that wasn't working at all for some dang reason.

If anyone's found a solution to the memory leak let me know.

thx,
    gwyddn
  20. barbarian316

barbarian316 IncGamers Member

My laptop with XP and D2 on it broke and I just picked up a new Emachine with Vista basic and encountered the same problem as deathsrevenge. I'm going to try installing XP on the computer and making a dual-boot machine. I'll let you guys know how it turned out.