Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

MF Fire Sorc. Your thoughts?

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by Skinbo, Jul 12, 2013. | Replies: 15 | Views: 4964

1. Skinbo

Skinbo IncGamers Member

Hello,

Yesterday someone on the US east realm was kind enough to give me a few fire facets. 3 to be exact

I was wondering if i put them in a helm, while also using "Phoenix" and a Merc with infinity, would my Lil Meteorb become pretty powerful?

Don't have stats in front of me right now because Im at work, but its a cookie cutter meteorb with:

Lore
    Eschuta's
    Lidless Wall
    Enigma Great Hauberk
    +2 sorc ammy
    Nagelring
    FCR ring
    Arachs
    Chancies

Just wondering if the -45% fire resist Ill get from Phoenix and the facets will take care of FIs in hell.
  2. Pyrotechnician

Pyrotechnician IncGamers Site Pal

-res from items/facets unfortunately cannot break immunities. Only conviction or lower resist can do that and then after the immunity is broken does -res take effect. So against non immunes they would work great, immunes would still be the same though.
  3. Skinbo

Skinbo IncGamers Member

Wouldn't the conviction aura from my infinity merc help out? (Did i say insight?)
  4. Pyrotechnician

It would if the fire immunity is broken by conviction from infinity. Otherwise the -fire res would have no effect.

Its important to note though that if a monster is natively fire immune, their fire resistance is normally pretty high so its usually hard to break even with infinity.

Example:
    Fire immune monster with 110% fire resistance.
    Level 12 conviction from infinity is -85% res.
    Since the monster is immune that works at 1/5th efficiency, so 85% * 1/5 = 17%

Monster Res after conviction:
    110 - 17 = 93 (fire immunity broken)

-Res from other items then kicks in:
    93 - 45 = 48 fire res

Example 2:

Fire immune monster with 120% fire resistance.

Monster Res after concition:
    120 - 17 = 103 (immunity not broken)

-Res has no additional effect. Therefore the monster is still immune to fire.
  5. Skinbo

Skinbo IncGamers Member

Sorry thats a lot of math for me to follow.

Lets say i have 3 facets with -5% enemy fire resistance. Then a phoenix which has -28% enemy fire resist. And the level 12 conviction aura from my merc?

I could try and run the numbers myself, but i don't know where they go.
  6. Skinbo

Skinbo IncGamers Member

Nevermind. Just had to read a little more closely, i understand now.

How is it that infinity works so well with lightning sorcs?
  7. Pyrotechnician

Monsters that normally are fire immune usually have a lot hire fire resistance percentage (greater than 120%) where as I think the monsters that are normally lightning immune usually have only 115% lightning resistance or less. So almost all light immune monsters are breakable while most fire immune monsters are not.

For example referencing the arreat summit. Storm Casters in the chaos sanctuary only have 100 lightning resistance, while Venom lords in the chaos sanctuary have 130 fire resistance.
  8. Skinbo

Skinbo IncGamers Member

Makes Sense to me now, Just wondering why the devs discriminate against fire sorcs. Ice I can understand with FO and blizz because they'd be OP, but Fireball and meteor?

anyway... thanks for filling me in.
  9. Archone

Archone IncGamers Member

Just fyi, Pyro is correct!

And Ive tried Infinity on a Blizz Sorc, didnt break nearly as many CI's as LI's!!
    Infi is for Lightning sorcs! ;)
  10. Pyrotechnician

No one really knows why they were so rough against fire based builds, I couldn't really tell you myself, but it probably has something to do with the huge fire damage numbers you can get in comparison to the highly variable (and no where near as high) lightning damage.
  11. Erfel

Erfel IncGamers Member

A well geared merc (with eth elite poleaxe inside, ebugged forty and andyface) can take down all of the fire immunes easily.

Phoenix (and rbfs) lets you kill easily enemies with low fire immunity (oblivion knights are FI, but infinity breaks their immunity). Non fire immunes will be killed mostly with one shot.
    Glacial spike gives your merc survivability and prevent monsters from fleeing, so it's worth one point.
    I have a fire sorc with complete tal set and works wonderfully... and i still doesn't have phoenix
  12. onderduiker

onderduiker IncGamers Member

Most inherent fire immunities can be removed with Infinity alone, but there's a greater number that cannot be removed than lightning immunities. Excluding Unique or Super Unique monsters:

• In Act 1, only the fire immunities of Devilkin (120%) and Dark Ones (125%) cannot be removed with Infinity alone (although Devilkin can be found in the Pit).

• In Act 2, all fire immunities of normal monsters can be removed with Infinity alone.

• In Act 3, the fire immunities of Soul Killer Shamans (120%), Spider Magi (120%) and Ismail Vilehand's Council Members (120%) cannot be removed with Infinity alone.

• In Act 4, the fire immunities of Venom Lords (130%) and Pit Lords (120%) cannot be remove with Infinity alone. However, Venom Lords always spawn in the Chaos Sanctuary, and the Infector of Souls has to be killed to spawn Diablo.
    120% fire immunities can be removed using Lower Resist charges as well (even level 1 charges with Infinity will apply Fire Resist -23% in total). However, Act 5 is populated by a number of monsters whose fire immunities cannot be removed either with Infinity alone or combined with Lower Resist charges, and it's possible for the random population of the Throne of Destruction to consist almost entirely of monsters whose fire immunities cannot be removed (the Oblivion Knights there may be Immune to Cold, but their Doom Knight minions far outnumber them and have FR 140%). Further, the fire immunity of Minions of Destruction (120%) also requires LR charges to remove.
  13. zrk

zrk IncGamers Member

Fire sorc is really good in mausoleum and crypt, the skels die very fast to it
  14. Skinbo

Skinbo IncGamers Member

Well at this point, i think i'll respec for pure light. (Just always makes me nervous for some reason o_O?). I want to start running for keys, and still continue to MF.

I'll probably do a vita build unless anyone recommends ES

Soso is lvl 87 with:

Shako
    +2 sorc ammy with all res
    Eschutas/Occy (cant choose)
    Spirit Mon 34fcr
    CoH
    Chancies
    Arachs
    War travelers
    Nagel/10 fcr ring.

I think this gear should be ok for a lite sorc, but please tell me if i should aim for somdthing else.

Also, yes merc will have infinity.
  15. zrk

zrk IncGamers Member

try crescent moon weapon too. even aharder to choose :) and looks very stylish
  16. Noite Escura

Noite Escura IncGamers Member

Mephisto can also be moat tricked just like you'd do with a Blizz Sorc, and on top of that, none os the monsters in the Durance of Hate is naturally immune do Fire, so they can all be killed. Andariel can also be done if you tele on top of her and kill the b**h very fast. But personally I prefer dual element sorcs