Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

MF barbarian?

Discussion in 'Barbarian' started by itstheMZez, Apr 1, 2012. | Replies: 35 | Views: 4495

1. itstheMZez

itstheMZez IncGamers Member

MF barbarian?

just a balanced build that tries to be adaptable to take on everything while adding in the MF with hammer + threat. shout

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#WZXVgP!eYd!ccacbY

don't think phys. damage will be too much of a problem as i got ~40% uptime on 300% armor and threat. shout on anyone within 20 yards, so i took the non. phys damage reduction. bloodthirst seems to be an iffy passive as well.
  2. ElementEight

ElementEight IncGamers Member

3. itstheMZez

itstheMZez IncGamers Member

Re: MF barbarian?

yeah im liking the crit synergy there, ill prob play that up until i need more defence in inferno, but this def has massive clear speed
  4. HardRock

HardRock IncGamers Member

I'm not convinced that Birthright and Grim Harvest are reasons to roll an MF Barb. They definitely help, but if you like to play a Barb, then they hardly make a difference in my opinion and if you don't, then I think the Monk and DH will be far better for MFing, due to their superior mobility. We'll see.
  5. ElementEight

Depends how much mobility matters. The build I suggested has really good survivability as well due to globe spawns and double health gained from such.

6. Youngtimer

Youngtimer IncGamers Member

I really like the use of "Pound of Flesh". But would going Dual-Wield with Frenzy instead of Bash give you a better advantage to Battlerage (5% globe drop on crit).

7. ElementEight

I'll have to see what is better: More fury for more Hammer of the Ancients (bash) or more generator hits (frenzy) for such a purpose? Can't wait to test that out. Good catch.

8. Cid

Cid IncGamers Member

care to elaborate on why you think the monk has superior mobility compared to the barbarian?

9. HardRock

Sure. The reason is Dashing Strike and how Spirit works.

The Barb's movement skills have cooldowns, or in the case of Sprint a short duration and a relatively high cost. You can bring all three with you, but that puts quite a limitation on your build. Dashing Strike has none of these issues, except if you want the highest passive Spirit regen possible, more on this later. Dashing Strike's limitations are that it requires a target, a good amount of Spirit and that it can't cross impassable terrain like Leap can.

Finding a target is rarely a problem, especially now that you can dash towards destructibles.

The Spirit cost is a little tricky in the beta, but later we'll have access to items with passive Spirit regen on them. Another good passive source of Spirit is the Circular Breathing rune of Mantra of Healing and the Chant of Resonance passive. Combined, they will give you 5 Spirit per sec, for the cost their skill slots.

Generating Fury for Sprint passively without combat (I'll explain why it could turn out to be a good idea to avoid combat when MFing later) isn't possible for a Barb without Unforgiving, but for this purpose it's a lackluster passive.

Now, the Barb does have the advantage of being able to jump over things and this will most likely make him and the Wizard (because of Teleport) the best MF character in certain areas, probably indoors.

As for why would we want to run around, avoiding enemies when MFing? Elites. Supposedly they are the best source of rare items, so if it's possible to hunt for them efficiently with movement skills or killing normal enemies doesn't worth the time, then the class with the best mobility will win the MF game again, just like in D2, but for different reasons. In this case, I think the Monk or the DH (because of Vault) will be the best choice most of the time. If hunting strictly for Elites isn't feasible or a it's waste of good drop opportunities, then I think that all classes will be about equally good for MF runs.
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2012
  10. Cid

Cid IncGamers Member

thanks for explaining ;)

i am an advocate for high mobility chars myself (because of general leveling speed increase and elite hunting for nephalem buff), so i am still trying to figure out which char to pick as a first (mf) class.
    at the moment, i am leaning towards barbarian, the other choices would be wizard or demonhunter.

for some reason, i don't like the monks dashing strike mechanics cause it feels rather limiting to always look for that mob/destructible to port to.
    5 spirit per second is one free dashing strike every 5 secs, which doesn't feel like a lot to me considering the fact that it uses up one skill slot and one passive slot, but as you already mentioned you might be able to push that regeneration value a lot with gear.

i am not sure how fist of thunder with thunderclap rune works and if there are some range limitations on that skill and if "target" means only mobs or mobs and destructibles, but if it works like dashing strike the monk would be the best mobility class hands down.

as far as i know, there is no class at the moment that could use their movementpower without limits, sooner or later you just have to wait for passive regeneration or attack some mobs in between.

same with DH vault: at some point you have to use multishot/supression to regain discipline.
    the only exeption would be if the wizard teleport with wormhole resets the 1 sec after each teleport cast, which doesn't seem to be the case.

and now the barbarian:
    for my build idea, i wouldn't us Unforgiving, its effect is just too weak in my opinion.
    at the moment i am thinking about a build that only uses sprint as a fury spender and use Berserker Rage as a passive for increased 25% damage at maximum fury.
    also, i would try go with all 3 movement powers, leap (iron impact)-sprint (marathon rune)-furious charge (merciless assault).
    deliberate use of furious charge on big mobpacks should help generate fury along with leap to keep sprint available when there are no mobs around and if at some point i am out of fury i just have use my generator stles, just like any other mobility class as well (in this case monk and dh).

well, it is just an idea and i guess i will find out how it works out comes release ;)

edit. oh damn, i forgot about dashing strike and quicksilver rune, thats only 10 spirit then. hmm maybe it is possible to have dashing strike permanently available, 5 spirit regeneration from gear seems highly probable.
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2012
  11. HardRock

Yeah, it looks like we won't have another Sorc TP issue on our hands. :)

Using Furious Charge to fuel Sprint is an amazing idea, I didn't think of this before. I would probably go with the Stamina rune for Furious Charge though.

12. ElementEight

Barb can sprint like 5 times as well with a full bulb.
  13. Cid

Cid IncGamers Member

furious charge with stamina is another good option.

but here is why i would prefer merciless assault:
    as my build will probably be using all 3 mentioned movement powers (leap/sprint/furious charge) and no fury spender but sprint, i am indeed sort of lacking good offensive styles, especially ae styles.
    if i am correct, furious charge will not trigger the global cooldown cause it is not a spending but a generating style.
    hopefully that means that i am able to use furious charge in quick succession when hitting 5+ mobs with one charge, and i am pretty sure that on higher difficulty levels those mobs won't die to one charge, so i charge through the same mobpack a couple times, earning 15 fury each charge.
    so it takes a little longer, but potentially i am able to get more fury and at the same time furious charge can double act as one of my precious and much needed attack styles that has no cooldown on perfect conditions (5+ mobs hit).

on the other hand, if Unforgiving is choosen as a passive furious charge with stamina runed would probably be the better choice.
  14. ElementEight

I think Hardrock is overstimating mobility in D3. Teleport was amazing in D2 because dungeons had a tendency to be more "closed", with small walls, so that you could literally skip 2 rooms with a single cast of teleport, which itself was really quick to cast and basically free. And even if you landed right into a pack of stuff, it couldn't follow you around, nor deal much damage at all.

If D3's inferno is as hard as it is claimed to be, with supposedly super aggressive monsters, you probably won't want to run through packs by dashing or whatever, at the risk of taking much unnecessary damage, and of ending up with 4 packs on your balls as you actually find a boss pack. Which is why I'm advocating a heavy damage, heavy survival but "slow" (normal, really) build as I have on page I of the thread. I'm thinking it'll be seriously hard to match its damage & survivabilty due to how health globes function, and how it's using a purely offensive stance to generate an awesome amount of (defensive in nature) globes with little tradeoff.
  15. HardRock

Probably, only time will tell. I certainly hope that I'm wrong, because I would like it if all classes would be about equally good for MFing.

16. Cid

Cid IncGamers Member

well, i guess i doesn't hurt to be on the safe side and pick a class that has the potential to be highly maneuverable and still do good damage/ has good survivability (through mitigation or kiting) with a more conventional build :scratchchin:
  17. Cid

Cid IncGamers Member

one more thing: i just realized how broken WMMW (weapon master mighty weapons) really is, every mob that i hit (with an ability) will give me 3 fury.
    that could make it easy to generate enough fury to use sprint permanently. i am even thinking about using threatening shout as a fury generator cause of the 25yards range.

and as far as i know, switching weapons won't cancel nephalem valor, so i will use mighty weapon for fury increase so i can sprint and hunt elites and for bosskill switch to sword for 15% increased damage.:scratchchin:
  18. ElementEight

Sure. How clunky will that feel, though? IIRC, no weapon switch in that game.

19. Sulle

Sulle IncGamers Member

I am not sure if this build would work 100% as intended, but it does seem very fun.

The point is to stay in beserker mode, as much as possible to increase the chances of getting more loot, but also in killing monsters faster. While in beserker mode you´ll also have 35% faster movement speed+ items, when you use frenzy(vanguard) so you can get to the different groups of monsters or escape faster than you normally would. I also have furious charge(stamina) to increase my mobility and fury and with battle rage(into the fray) you´ll generate even more fury on crits.

You could change frenzy(vanguard) for perhaps maniac or for bash(instigation) or cleave(reaping swing) but I personally love the fast hitting skill with faster movement. All in all It´s a mobile and aggresive build, which is what I personally like :)

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#WZSgiP!YeS!bcbbYc
  20. Sulle

Sulle IncGamers Member

Here is another interesting and imo really solid mf build. This time as a defensive max fury frenzy(or cleave up to you) berserker build with lots of healing which synergizes well with the passive nerves of steel. Also I am taking advantage of eathquake(the mountain´s call) which removes fury cost and reduces cd time aswell. Revenge(provocation) and overpower(revel) will give aoe and healing and for mobility I am using furious charge(dreadnought).

Passives: berserker rage, nerves of steel and boon of bul-kathos.

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#WSVQgT!cbS!ccccbb