Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Meteorb skill build question

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by srrw, Jul 12, 2012. | Replies: 13 | Views: 4388

1. srrw

srrw IncGamers Member

Just a little curious why do all people who build meteorb sorc's waste so much points in a hybrid sorc. By this I mean putting a point in Inferno, Blaze and Firewall to get to Meteor which is a... well useless skill IMO. I'm not that experienced with hybrid sorc's since I've played mostly battle.net, in other words a big majority of the sorc's I've played are pure element. I've made plenty of pure fire sorc's and I've never used meteor... at all.

And my question actually being: Is this build going to work?

Fire:
    20 Fire bolt
    20 Fire ball
    20 Fire mastery
    1 Warmth

Cold:
    20 Frozen Orb
    1+ Cold Mastery *
    1+ Ice bolt *

Lightning:
    1 Static
    1 TK
    1 Teleport

* Cold Mastery pumped until it reaches 100 percent, future points go to ice bolt.

And by going to work I mean reasonably fast kill speed by both elements.

Edit: I'm playing Single Player.
  2. elborrador

elborrador IncGamers Member

Never built a hybrid personally, only a FO sorc and a light sorc, but my guess with the meteorb is that meteor is timed so you cast and launch a few orbs to get dual dmg at same time
  3. srrw

srrw IncGamers Member

I thought I made myself clear that I won't be using meteor. The question being will I be doing enough damage with Fireball w/o Meteor as a synergy?
  4. Pyrotechnician

Pyrotechnician IncGamers Site Pal

This is incorrect, both FO and meteor are timered so you have to wait after casting meteor to cast an orb, which makes the actual essence of this build because FO is timered and Fireball is not, allowing you to cast a FO and then spam Fireball inbetween.

Meteor is definately not necessary for this to be an effective build and I've met many people like yourself that have not invested any into meteor, its a personal preference but I personally don't think it will hinder your effectiveness to skip it completely especially if you plan to never use it. Like you said, you have to invest 3 skill points to get there and in a hybrid build skill points are tight. Will you not reach maximum damage with your fireball? Probably not, but it doesn't really make much difference in the scope of things since your FO will carry a little more damage.

5. srrw

srrw IncGamers Member

Thanks. We'll see how she performs soon :)
  6. hubb

hubb IncGamers Member

You generally don't have enough points to sink much/anything into a 2nd synergy so I wouldn't worry about that.

IMO Meteor is worth the three points as it speeds up Baal runs considerably, and useful against some other things like those CI fire mages and vile mothers. But you can do fine without it.
  7. danc133

danc133 IncGamers Member

Amen there it definitely speeds up Baal runs especially with the long burn duration around lvl 30. It lasts about 19 seconds per meteor and stacks. Without meteor is playable but is a severe mana hog. Too many don't see the benefit of the fire stack, with a few statics it can have an entire wave in HR already dead just ain't yet. It's hard to do that with Fball.

First round is on me! :guiness:

D!

8. srrw

srrw IncGamers Member

Well.. Finished the game w/o any points in meteor. Lister's and Ventar's friends were parked, because they would have taken forever to kill. Lister and Ventar were easy, so as Baal. Still it's kinda slow on the killing speed so I'm prolly gonna respec to single element. Thanks for the suggestions :)
  9. elborrador

elborrador IncGamers Member

Thank you for this tid bit, I did not know this. The more you knw!

Ive only ever built fo sorc or light sorc so it's good to know for when I do build my dual element

10. MartinLong

MartinLong IncGamers Member

If you go full fire though, it's not hard for FB to hit 15k and Meteor 35K. It all depends on your game plan though, I mf in areas that the fire sorc can.
  11. Pyrotechnician

Full fire on its own is devastating in terms of damage numbers, but the number of fire immunes in hell limits the areas you can run. A pure fire build obviously makes an excellent andy runner and moating meph with meteors is fairly easy as well. I'm not too keen on area running though and not sure where you would go for that type of thing.
  12. MartinLong

I can run a lot of places. They have allowed me to obtain a fair amount of wealth. And I get moating for a lower lvl char, but at 92, full Tals spec, 3 or 4 FB kill meph, so no meteor is necessary. Honestly, I don't even use Meteor when I run my mf spots as meteor is a timed skill and most enemies drop before the meteor would hit.

Now, in baal runs, I would use that, but as said before, Baal isn't the best place to run a Fire sorc :)

Where I run:
    Andy, Mausoleum, Countess
    Duriel
    LK Chest, Kurast Temples, Meph
    Pindle, Shenk, Threshsocket, Nith.

The Fire sorc limitation are on Baal, CS, Pits, Ancient Tunnels - but Mauso is an eqv sub for pits/AT

13. Pyrotechnician

How much success do you actually have while running Duriel? I don't think I've ever been able to find anything remotely useful from those drops other than refilling my Tomb of TP. There are some overlap of the other targets as well that can be either better run or better suited by other builds for those targets. Mausoleum I think is the only thing I didn't really consider, but I do like running my Ancient Tunnels (I'm stubborn I know).
  14. MartinLong

SOJ :) that made it all worth it.

Andy and Duriel are the same basically, so I run them both for double chances of getting some decent gear. It's not the best place to run, but when I really want to find a SOJ, or want a change, I'll do it.