Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Meteorb build Quick FAQ (by Eilo Rytyj)

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by melianor, Jul 10, 2008. | Replies: 52 | Views: 85069

1. melianor

melianor D3 Wizard Moderator

Meteorb build Quick FAQ (by Eilo Rytyj)

Okay, before this execellent post gets lost on page 2345 of the forum i will quote Eilo Rytyj here and make this post a sticky. Regard his post as a concise summary on the Meteorb build that anyone who starts out anew can follow easily.

If you look for further reading and insight you might want to read the full guide by sasja.

2. David Truong

David Truong IncGamers Member

Re: Meteorb build Quick FAQ (by Eilo Rytyj)

Wouldn't 1 point in cold mastery be needed in order for it to benefit from +skill bonuses?

Edit: Nevermind; I didn't know Tal Rasha's Wrappings adds one to Cold Mastery.
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2008
  3. Cappystyles

Cappystyles IncGamers Member

This space for rent.
  4. StinkyMojo

StinkyMojo IncGamers Member

how should the skill progression be like?
  5. Soulburner

Soulburner IncGamers Member

Having full gear, I now understand the use of Infinity. I always thought Insight would be needed for the mana, but my mana simply cannot be drained...even after a 10 minute fight with uber Diablo my mana was still topped off...no need for Insight then.

This is a great build :) Followed it pretty much exactly but don't agree with the Waterwalks. War Travelers are much better for the magic finder.

I need to find some facets and an Infinity to take my damage to the next level...
  6. Kortsu

Kortsu IncGamers Member

Awesome, I just visited the sorc forums trying to find that good old meteorb guide and I run into this interesting new version of it. This is going to be alot of fun. :p
  7. Phat Wolf

Phat Wolf IncGamers Member

Hi there, I just have a small question...where are the best places to level your merc?
  8. SolidKeevo

SolidKeevo IncGamers Member

Great Guide, my level 85 Meteorb Sorc is doing awesome :D
  9. HellRaider

HellRaider IncGamers Member

so do u not need any of the cold shields or the skill that takes damage from your mana instead of your life?
  10. melianor

melianor D3 Wizard Moderator

For this build you can use Shiver Armor with just 1 hard skillpoint invested. This will grant you a bit more safety, since attackers will be chilled/slowed the moment they decide to attack, unlike Frozen Armor where attackers are slowed when they actually hit your character.

Energy Shield is also not needed. There are various builds that focus on Energy Shield, but for the Meteorb this would be a waste of valueable skill points.

11. brunopeppers

brunopeppers IncGamers Member

i put ES on my sorcerer and its true, its waste points... I'm playing with this build:

Head: Shako
    Shield: Spirit
    Amulet: maras (22 resist)
    Ring: 2x nagel (26 each)
    Armor: 35 vipermage UMed (50 resist)
    Arm: HOTO (35 resist)
    Gloves: Frostburn, magesfist or chancies
    Boots: war traveler (40 MF)
    Belt: Goldrwarp or Thundergod
    Charms: +1 fir GC, 13/20 S torch and 35 Gheed's

this give me: max resist,105 FCR, 55 FHR,(+ charms to reach 88FHR), 267 MF, and + 13 skills and + 2 fire skill (+15 fire tree), unfortunality i have to put + skills in cold mastery to reach it to lvl 17, maybe not if i get cold charms

12. Eilo Rytyj

Eilo Rytyj IncGamers Member

Thanks for the feedback all, and more thanks to Meli for digging up the post from the grave!

Now...

Personal skill progression involves getting all the 1-point skills as they become available (save skill points at early levels to do so if you wish). From 12 to 24 invest in Fire Ball almost exclusively. At 24 throw a point in Meteor. After level 30, I usually opt to alternate between investing a point in Frozen Orb one level, then a Fire Spell at the next level, the fire spell being either Fire Ball or Meteor.

Once Frozen Orb, Fire Ball and Meteor are all maxed out, then you can start investing in either Fire Bolt or Fire Mastery - I normally use a skill calculator to determine which would result in a hire Fire Ball damage, which usually turns out to be Fire Bolt.

Yeh, I'll also agree with you there. Energy Shield is only useful on a Sorceress dedicated to using it, and such a Sorceress is better suited to PvP.

Regarding the Cold armour spells, I agree they do help... marginally. This Sorceress is designed to play as a very run-and-gun type of character. You should be using Teleport non-stop as an evasive measure, and as such with a bit of skill you should try and avoid being hit altogether. And when you're not being hit, a small increase in your Defense rating isn't going to mean much, and in my opinion, it's not worth the skill point investment. But that's just me. If you make a mistake of Teleporting into a pack in a place like Hell Chaos Sanctuary, a small defense boost isn't going to help out much when those 10 Doom Knights all hit you at the same time and Pit Lords are all treating you to a taste of their bad breath Inferno. It also means one more spell you have to think about reapplying every couple of minutes; without it all that's on your mind is teleport, teleport, blast blast blast, teleport, blast etc etc. ad infinitum

13. Kyrandia

Kyrandia IncGamers Member

It depends on the total +fire skills you have, since +skills add to fire mastery but not to synergies. The more +skills you have, the more you have to invest into synergies before you start alternating between mastery and synergy.

Below is an Excel sheet I made which shows the optimal skill progression. It is assumed that you have already maxed Fireball. Note that Fireball base damage was set to 1 for better readability. Change this number to get the actual damage your character is doing.

Screenshot: img90.imageshack.us/my.php?image=optfireballhl4.png

Excel: fireball mastery and synergies.xls

14. Bryan

Bryan IncGamers Member

Its not hard to find an orb with +1 shiver and +1 ES.

If you dont have a CTA on your weapon switch u can wear it.

[​IMG]

I love this build, it is my most succesful EVAR!

15. Krovvy

Krovvy IncGamers Member

On Fire Bolt or Fire Mastery question. What would be the optimal skill point placement for maximizing fireball damage on say a level 90 Sorceress using the equipment listed, and maybe six Fire Skill grand charms?
  16. Kyrandia

@Krovvy: scroll 2 posts up and download the Excel sheet ;)
  17. Krovvy

Krovvy IncGamers Member

I looked at the .jpeg, and I still couldn't figure it out.
  18. Kyrandia

It works like this.

1) Calculate the number of +fireskills you have in you current setup (gear + charms). Let's say you have +14
    2) Assuming you have 1 point in Fire Mastery, this gives you 15 Fire Mastery
    3) Go to the corresponding row (in this example row 22 = 15 FM)
    4) The red number tells you to spend 26 points in synergies (20 Meteor, 6 Firebolt, for example) before you spend your next point in FM. From this point, alternate between Fire Mastery and Firebolt for maximum damage at each level (follow the 'red path').

I don't know where on the red path you end at lvl90, but that should be easy to figure out yourself.

Good luck!
  19. Spazman

Spazman IncGamers Member

As a lazy not-2-serious gamer anymore I must ask: How viable is this when you're going "all-scratch" play? as in start over from scratch, only basing your first equipment on the drops from nightmare/hell runequest?

are there better characters to start from scratch with, farm some eq, and then go for this? i.e. the classic blizzardsorc for meph/andy runs?

You can also make your CTA in a 5 socketed staff with +1 shiver and +1es or alike ;)
    However, I really don't like ES in general for mf sorcs, especially not for meteorb ones or any hybrid build, where every skillpoint is worth gold

20. MercyfulFate

MercyfulFate IncGamers Member

Just wanna say that Frozen Orb rocks through out Nightmare and that maxing it first also isn't too bad of an idea.

On that note pumping fireball from 12-24 was great! I've made this build probably three or four times (everytime I quit and then start again) and I had always followed the save everything, and then pump meteor and frozen orb and fireball last. But this way made those levels much easier, although I did drink like a fish.

Great guide and thanks!