Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Merc leveling glitch?

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by JihadJesus, Jan 12, 2006. | Replies: 9 | Views: 472

1. JihadJesus

JihadJesus IncGamers Member

Merc leveling glitch?

I'm slowly starting to play again, sticking with my 1.10 install since that's what I know but using a 1.11 .d2s file to gain the new runewords. I've been playing a fireball sorc (my first real caster ever), and got into act 2 and picked up a defensive aura town guard at lvl 12. I proceeded to kill Radament, and when I got back to town I noticed he hadn't levelled, which I thought was weird. So I noted his exp, with 260,260 left before lvl 13, and went and killed some stuff. EXP didn't even budge. Hmm, weird. He's not getting EXP for my kills. So I make sure he gets some on his own. Nothing. I strip his gear (two pieces of Sigons and a Razortine) and repeat the process. Nothing. Exit the game, start a new one...still nothing. What is going on? Is it a failure of 1.10 to deal with the new merc auto-leveller when you buy a merc in 1.11? I didn't think that was in the .d2s, and I don't recall having had this problem previously...
  2. SpiritMongeR

SpiritMongeR Banned

what was you level? Mercs maximun level is equal to yours(or yours -1, don't know for sure), so this could be the problem
  3. LynKyle

LynKyle IncGamers Member

When the level of your merc is equal to your character level, the merc stops to receive experience points.

But I don't think that that's his problem. Because I wouldn't think he would be level 12 upon entering ACT2.
  4. SpiritMongeR

SpiritMongeR Banned

I thought it was strange too, but it could be possible if you don't play P8
  5. JihadJesus

I played P8 the whole way, I think I was around lvl 21 or 22.
  6. Cattleya

Cattleya IncGamers Member

I'm not a programmer, so I'm speaking from limited technical experience here, but seeing how merc leveling was changed in 1.11, it seems possible that your hybrid install borked the mercs.

Edit: I re-read the first post, so I guess it wasn't one of the hybrid installs people were trying early on. I was confused by the mention of using the runewords. Wouldn't any runewords from 1.11 be ith in 1.10? (I know that runewords made in 1.11 RWM work in 1.11 Vanilla, but I'm pretty sure this doesn't extend to 1.10.)
  7. JihadJesus

All the data for runewords is contained in the .d2s file. Since there is no on/off realm switch in the 1.10 install, all the on realm runewords that would be turned off via this switch in 1.11 are active in a 1.10 install that uses a 1.11 version of the .d2s file. This was figured out pretty early in 1.11's lifetime by someone much more familiar with the programming than I am, and has worked fine until now. But maybe I need to think about updating to a RWM 1.11 install if I'm going to be playing more...

[Edit] I meant the Patch_D2.mpq file...I didn't think that sounded quite right either, but I was too lazy to go look it up before I utterly confused everyone.
  8. Cattleya

Cattleya IncGamers Member

I'm so confused. Aren't .d2s files the character save files? I didn't think they stored that type of information?
    Then my original statement stands. :) My guess is it's a side effect of an unusual install.
  9. Zavior

Zavior IncGamers Member

If you switch the .mpq files you are basically patching your game :p
  10. JihadJesus

Basically but not exactly, as evidenced by the fact that I can use the 1.11 realm-only runewords,I can still use the Marrowalk 1.10 bug, etc. The vast majority of the patch changes are in the .mpq file, but not ALL of them are, so it's not exactly a 1.11 install.