Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates

Melee Wizard

Discussion in 'Wizard' started by HappyAssassin, Oct 16, 2008. | Replies: 60 | Views: 11028

1. HappyAssassin

HappyAssassin IncGamers Member

Melee Wizard

Will this be a viable build? Between the time distortion skills, teleport, the close range "magic blade" attack she keeps using in the demo and the as yet unseen "enchant weapon" skill, it seems like it could be a really cool light melee character. I do wonder whether it will fit in the design philosophy they are going for. It might be the case that characters are designed to be generalists and not focus on certain skill trees. Also issues with stat distribution could come up, since we dont get to decide any more and the Wizard could be extremely fragile in later areas of the game.

Maybe it would be a good PvP build. Anyway, thoughts?
  2. Niniux

Niniux IncGamers Member

Re: Melee Wizard

I really hope so. I've always liked builds that are the antithesis of the typical archetypes. A melee wizard. The Singer in D2, or the Ranger.

My hope is that Blizzard is doing everything they can to allow people to have true freedom with making their character truly unique. I think going with a lot of passives and masteries is a good way towards encouraging this. I think it will not only allow fringe builds but also allow some interested hybrid classes.
  3. konfeta

konfeta IncGamers Member

4. melianor

melianor D3 Wizard Moderator

We also have a complete list of the Wizard skill trees, much the same as with Shacknews in the Diablo3 Wiki :D I will assemble a thread with viable information and make it worthwhile for a sticky.

I will dig for more information that relates to the Wizard and can either be found in the Wiki or elsewhere.

There ya go -> The Wizard Knowledge & Guide Library [1st Edition]

5. Apocalypse

Apocalypse IncGamers Member

i gotta say at first i thought they were killing the melee wizards but after seeing the wizard tree i think they will be better than ever. i myself will make one but probably will not be my first char(though right now a casting wizard will be)
  6. Sylvanite

Sylvanite IncGamers Member

I think that Blizzard is purposefully making a melee wizard viable. The lack of attribute requirements on all items will be awesome too.....Sword and shield wizard? Wizard with a giant hammer? Should be doable.

On another note, I see melee wizards playing out the best by having longer term buffs up, but then debuffing groups of enemies before going into melee range.

A string of magic missiles that slow, creatures, reduce their armor, and increase their damage taken? As well as adding a percent of weapon damage to your Magic Missile? Then teleport in, drop a slow time, and start mowing things down.....

Who knows what will be possible or not based on mana and game play, but I could see it playing out like that and being totally awesomesauce.
  7. melianor

I like the way these ideas are going. Combined with Magic Weapon, Lethal Energy, Stone Skin, Slowing Strikes and Mirror Image and there are even more options open.

There are many ways to build a Melee wizard from the skills we see available at the moment. I think it even more simple to come up with an idea for a melee wizard, than other builds. Would that imply that its an intention to not only use spells, but melee attacks too, possibly to bridge mana recovery?
  8. zero

zero IncGamers Member

if (attribute auto) then (not melee wizard)
  9. konfeta

konfeta IncGamers Member

Can we get over this already?

Items + Skills = Melee Casters, auto-attributes or not.
  10. poroboszcz

poroboszcz IncGamers Member

Looking at the current skill trees it seems like making hybrids is still going to be pretty tough, as each skill has like 4 - 6 "synergies" that you'd like to use within the same tree. A pure melee wizard looks like a viable build by just looking at the skill trees. I wonder if you'll be able to enchant other players with magic weapon skill.

As for PvP I'm afraid that with auto-stats system a melee wizard may be at a disadvantage against other melee chars in terms of life/chance to block/chance to dodge/chance to hit, but it's kind of hard to tell yet.

I was thinking about making melee/electrocute hybrid build and calling him with some cool sith name :cool:

11. melianor

I don't think that is correct. The skills for a melee type wizard are there and since there are NO attribute requirements on items you could get items that boost the needed attributes.

12. HappyAssassin

HappyAssassin IncGamers Member

Also the Wizard has a skill that increases her health by a %, so she could potentially be a tank (especially against slowed enemies).
  13. NKlint

NKlint IncGamers Member

A "Tank" Wizard could be feasable. Especially if they specialize in the Conjuring Tree and with the aid of the Arcane Armor skill from the Arcane Tree...

I wonder if one could use multiple + armor spells... IIRC Frozen Armor and Chilling Armor and Shiver Armor canceled each other out if used together... I wonder though if a spell like Stone Skin, and Storm Armor stack. Since they don't actually do the same thing; Stone Skin repels damage up to a point while Storm Armor damages the enemy slightly. Arcane Armor does increase the armor bonus if you have Stone Skin up, like it does Storm armor and Temporal armor however. So this leads me to believe that they probably don't stack. Unless the armor bonus from Arcane armor is separate from the armor bonus from Storm armor - meaning that it only triggers while the armor spell is active and it doesn't add to the armor bonus on the spell, rather multiplies the base armor then adds the multiplier from a spell like storm armor.

Armor Spells may stack and remain balanced if the equation is...

Base armor * Storm Armor = X
    Base Armor * Arcane Armor bonus = Y (while armor spell is active)
    Base Armor * Stone Skin = A
    Base Armor * Temporal Armor = B

Base armor +X +Y +A +B = Total Armor

Arcane Armor may stack but would probably be imbalanced if the equation is...

(Armor Spell > 0 = Base armor + Arcane Armor Bonus = B
    (Base armor * Storm Armor) = X *B
    (Base armor * Stone Skin) = Y *B
    (Base armor * Temporal Armor) = A *B

Base armor +X*B+Y*B+A*B = (Total Armor)B²

Meaning that you'd get the armor bonus from Storm armor and the benefits of Stone Skin and Temporal armor plus the armor bonus from Arcane Armor three times resulting in an exponential increase in your bonus armor rating if you have only two armor spells active...

The Arcane Armor bonus should only apply once, but It would be interesting if the Armor spells could stack. Though from what I'm foreseeing that probably won't be the case, since the armor spells could render the Wizard virtually invulnerable to harm. Since the stacking of armor bonuses from Arcane Armor along with the Base Damage reduction from Stone Skin and Temporal Armor would result in a steady stream of 0 damage to the Wizard and the Combination with Storm Armor would deal a steady amount of Damage to the Wizards assailant, if the base armor is high enough. It basically means that Arcane Armor would be abused as a skill and may give the Wizard Greater armor class than the Actual "Tanks" built into the game. It would definetly be a Broken PVP skill so Arcane Armor should only Trigger Once only if at least one Armor Spell is active and not give bonus armor for each armor spell active.

At least my hopes are that Blizzard will be Balancing game play not only for PVE but for PVP also.
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2008
  14. Sylvanite

Sylvanite IncGamers Member

Just thought I would add that the interview with JW on the front page confirms beyond a shadow of a doubt that melee wizard will not only be feasible, but is actually a build that Blizzard specifically designed the Wizard to utilize. I think we probably all knew that by looking at the skill tree, but with Jay Wilson flat out saying it, it really gives me confidence that not only will the build be available, but it will actually be good, even untwinked.

For me, that is exciting news. This will be the first build I play, unless something amazing presents itself via the two unannounced classes or release of skills for Doc and Barb.
  15. melianor

I agree with NKlint here. Stacking armors would possibly overpower the wizard gameplay or some kind of drawbacks would have to be added when multiple armors are active, which then kind of defeats the purpose and only adds more things that need to be considered about the balance of skills and balance of the different character classes.

And thankyou Sylvanite for sharing this very good piece of information out of the videos :) Good to hear, that once again the caster class will be able to go melee as well!
  16. GoDSamurai

GoDSamurai Banned

will be cool if they put on d3
    i actually built sword sorc (which nobody did) on d2, maxed lvl enchant, and maxed lvl on shileld defence so that sorc won die easily. it was however useless cuz it couldnt kill single monster in hell level lol.
    so what i did was increasing her strenght an gave her better sword. I think I gave her grandfathersword, which she finally started killing hell monsters, yet slowly :)
  17. zero

zero IncGamers Member

and the life??? with auto stat i think that life is poor
  18. redrach

redrach IncGamers Member

No auto-stat means that you will be required to obtain life in some part from your equipment. Hopefully there's a lot of equipment that satisfies this, or we'll quickly see cookie-cutter builds.
  19. Apocalypse

Apocalypse IncGamers Member

wiz has a skill that boosts total hp, i see no problems with a melee wiz now, infact like i said before i think they will be even better in d3 as the devs have given alot of skills to support a battlemage build

20. melianor

Look into the First build ideas for some ideas for a melee wizard and see for yourself, that this will be quite possible. even just look at the skills in the conjuring tree. Most of those skills are laid out for melee wizard builds.

Stats will need to be aquired through items. Since there are NO stat requirements for items, wearing heavy plate won't be a problem, unless this is restricted by class, which might pose a problem then.