Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

MC_Snails - the beta Bramble Poisonmancer

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by RobbyD, Nov 2, 2013. | Replies: 25 | Views: 2235

1. RobbyD

RobbyD IncGamers Member

MC_Snails has been created.

Along with my 168% beta Bramble, I brought forward my 12BO CtA and my beta Crescent Moon in a 1.07 eth Thresher (since my theory is that the AoE Static from the merc will work well with the AoE poison). I also brough forward all my applicable skillers and some twinkage from 1.09 like Ravenclaw, an eth Battlebranch and Duskdeep.

Since I'll be hoping for some frequent Static from the CM, I'm settled on a Crown of Thieives and Treachery for the merc.

Of course the endgame weapon will be the Death's Web traded by Nulio (thanks very much, Nulio!), and I'm planning on Trang's Cantor Trophy + gloves + belt for the additional -25 EPR.

An Envy Long Bow will be used from level 1 to 15.

2. MYK

MYK Diablo: IncGamers Member

Your items, sir, are disgustingly delicious!

3. pharphis

pharphis IncGamers Site Pal

I sure hope you'll be using LR, not only for the poison but for the static proc. It will make a HUGE difference, I promise

4. naranjadita

naranjadita IncGamers Member

Cheese goes well with olives - are you going to throw some facets on top of all you've alredy gathered?
    Also, do you self-mp?

5. RobbyD

RobbyD IncGamers Member

Heh - I love olives too! I didn't even think about Facets - but I do happen to have a ridiculous # of Larzuks from the HF rushing (got all levels of Larzuks for each crew). And it happens that 4 of the 5 Facets I've found from my earlier 1.13 chars are poison. But - none are 5/5. My 2 best options are:

4/4 Level-up
    5/3 Death

I'm thinking the 4/4 Level-up would be best for the DWeb. I prolly won't put a Facet in the Shako - I think I'd prefer a pTopaz.

To answer questions:

Yes, I did self-MP for the rushing and HF collections.

Yes, I plan to LR all over the place (and have a couple Hexing GCs planned for the equip). Prolly won't even bother with Amp even for CE - LR will be my

@MYK - did I forget to mention the 1.10a +2 skills BKWB from Nulio that I plan on using along with a collection of 1.09 xxxxx SCs of Inertia?

6. RobbyD

RobbyD IncGamers Member

So a quick update... Got MC_Snails to Slayer last night, hitting level 49 on some CRAZY XP from the Minions of Destruction. The path so far...

Early game went as expected - used an Envy Long Bow from levels 1-14, relying on my favorite partial Set combos for armor (Arctic to start, then Death's + Angelic at level 12), making the best of a tedious part of the game. No problems encountered, of course - the stats from those low level Set are really awesome for the early game. 1.09 Raven Claw got put to use at level 15, and it performed well through Act 2. In early Act 3, when MC_Snails hit level 30 for the build-focused gear, the RC had started to slow down a bit (but the timing was perfect).

Other than the 1-point wonders, Poison Dagger and Poison Explosion were pumped for the upcoming Poison Nova, so PN was plenty powerful from the get-go. Level 30 gear included Skin of the Vipermagi, Peasant Crown, Ume's Lament, a nice rare Necro head, with Jade Tan Do with a Rhyme Necro head on switch, and Hwanin's Justice, Skin of the Vipermagi, and (at 31) Rockstopper. Since I have crazy Larzuk rewards available, I popped a socket in the HJ for an Amn rune - worked just fine.

Got to CS at level 36, but ran Act 4 a couple of times to get to level 38 so I could have my nice eth Hone Sundan on the Merc and a Blackbog's Sharp for the Necro. I've learned from 1.09 that SoVM is THE armor for dealing with Normal Big D due to the resists + MDR - and that worked well in 1.13 as well.

So with the avalanche of XP in Act 5, MC_Snails got to level 42 before the Frozen Tunnels, at which point I did a total makeover to his charm inventory - 6x Fungal + 2x Hexing, pumping PN since level 30, and eqipping Waterwalks and a Hommy, and BAM that Poison Nova got RIDICULOUS (plus, with the total of 10 MPK, I no longer had to worry about blue bulb management). It's power outpaced the growth of monster toughness, so by late Act 5 (and with the benefit of Trang's Gloves at level 45), he was one-shotting most monsters, even champions and uniques.

I was nervous to go take on Nilly (after my 1.09 WF Zon's only death being a OSK to Nilly), but it turned out that I didn't even see movement in the red bulb when Nilly snuck a few CEs with some corpses MC_Snails missed (yes, CE is his Poison Immune solution). I did find it interesting that Nilly did something I've never seen him do before - attack directly with an Arctic Blast as he was dying of poison. Is this direct attack one of the changes from 1.09 to 1.10+?

So... PN was ROCKING through late Normal Act 5, but the Minions of Destruction actually did require several PNs and a PD to Lister to finally take them down (providing approximately a full level of XP at level 48!).

So, having already equipped him for NM, I'm 'bout to take it on. My only question is... do I go ahead and equip the truly broken gear as it becomes available in NM (beta CM Thresher for Merc, 1.10a BKWB, beta Bramble), or save all that for Hell?

Thanks for reading.

7. pharphis

I say save it for hell and stream it ;)

8. naranjadita

naranjadita IncGamers Member

Save it for hell, of course! Didn't your mother teach you to save the cookies for the dessert? :3

9. purplelocust

purplelocust IncGamers Member

That's a great roll on the beta Bramble- I would be very nervous about making a runeword with such a huge variation (+69-207%) with such expense!

10. RobbyD

RobbyD IncGamers Member

I was pretty nervous, but I set my standard for success to anything over 100%, since that's the 1.10a percentage. I was QUITE happy with the roll!

11. RobbyD

RobbyD IncGamers Member

Update time.

MC_Snails is in NM Act 5, just having gotten the Anya quest. Level 71. Running with the following:

Helm: Peasant Crown
    Ammy: Rare with resists + STR + Necro skill (needed the STR for the Waterwalks)
    Armor: Skin of Vipermagi
    W/S 1: Blackbog's Sharp/Homunculus (pDiamond)
    W/S 2: Beta CtA / Lidless
    Rings: Res/FCR/mana rare and SoJ
    Gloves: Trang's
    Belt: Gloom's Trap
    Boots: Waterwalk

Merc: beta Crescent Moon / Crown of Thieves / Treachery

Some observations:

- NM Andy was quite a challenge, all running around and killing the Golem and putting a hurt on the merc. I discussed this with a buddy and he reminded me that LR is not the way to go with bosses, but Decrep. So, with that tip, NM Duriel, Mephy, and Diablo have all been a breeze.

- The Merc gets lost WAY more often in this patch than he did in 1.09. I'm assuming it's the longer leash they gave mercs, because a Necro needs his merc sometimes. I find he actually keeps up better if MC_Snails runs instead of walking.

- PN is fully synergized now, with all the +skills doing 7300-7600 poison damage, and I'm really starting to notice the discrepancy between monsters. Some monsters go ahead and tank it on one nova, but some are really resistent to poison, apparently, like the Venom Lords of the CS and when archer skellies spawn in Act 5. I'm really hoping that the -EPR from Hell gear helps with that.

- I wasn't planning on pumping LR when I was theorycrafting because the -resists plateau so severly, but I really like the impressive added AOE with points, so I might just pump that a bit more.

- I can sure tell I'm playing 1.13 now - he's found a Mal and an Ist so far just questing through NM!

- The merc's CM seems to be working pretty well - I have noticed him getting Static off enough to allow monsters to die of a single PN. Plus the damage and leech have been plenty - only once have I had to give him FRs.

- I found some instances where MC_Snails has trouble getting curses/novas cast - when Quill Rats spawned in Act 5, all those darts made it a little hard to get a cast off. I may invest a point in DV just in case.

So, NM Nilly, Ancients, and Baal tonight. I already cashed in some of my Larzuks by popping a 4/4 Poison Facet in the Death's Web, a pTopaz in the Shako (yeah, I want a little MF - so sue me), and an Um in the Trang's Wing. Hell setup will be:

Helm: Shako (pTopaz)
    Ammy: Rare (+2 Necro, 20/20/52/20, 18 STR... yeah, it's FILTHY! Came from 1.09, where it's useless)
    Armor: beta Bramble
    W/S 1: Death's Web (PF) / Trang's (Um)
    W/S 2: Beta CtA / Lidless
    Rings: Res/FCR/mana rare and 1.10a BKWB
    Gloves: Trang's
    Belt: Trang's (the 18 STR from the ammy and 25 STR from the shield are lovely for this!)
    Boots: Rare (30% FRW, 39% LR, 16%MF) - not jaw-dropping, but the best fit here

So with the partial Set bonuses, armor, and socketed Death's Web, we're talking +197% poison damage and -74% EPR. I'm fairly excited to see this in action.

***********EDIT***********

Having finished NM Act 5, I have to say that it's a lot more challenging overall to go through Act 5 in 1.13 than 1.09 - Baal's waves and Ancients are about the same - but Nilly and Baal themselves are significantly easier in 1.13 than 1.09. I spent a good couple of minutes working on Baal (no CB - I might think about pulling that Obedience or Hone Sundan out in Hell), but Baal's cold wedge and especially mana fire don't do much at all - in 1.09, the mana fire hurts - I've had characters die to it in 1.09 when I wasn't careful - but in this case, I didn't see much impact on the red bulb at all.

Well, time for TEH MAIN COURSE! Broken equipment goes ON!

Last edited: Nov 19, 2013
  12. japanzaman

japanzaman IncGamers Member

Even with that setup I'm wondering how you'll manage against the poison immune enemies, particularly the unique packs. The others should go down pretty quickly though. For bosses, you'll definitely want some CB on your merc with decrepify. Good luck

13. RobbyD

RobbyD IncGamers Member

What I've been doing is relying on Merc for first kill and CE - it's been effective so far, and a good tactic for a room full of monsters like the Tombs.

14. thefranklin

thefranklin IncGamers Member

Good progress!

That will tear through everything not poison immune. That is as much -resistances as untwinked blizzballers / meteororbers, and that works plenty fine. Have fun owning p8 pit runs!

15. RobbyD

RobbyD IncGamers Member

Having taken MC_Snails to Blood Raven/Masoleum/Crypt, I can say that with the broken Hell gear, he's not had trouble killing monsters on P8. I'm really having fun with this character.

16. purplelocust

purplelocust IncGamers Member

Sounds like good progress and you aren't far from being able to do Pit Runs, which should boost levels nicely and perhaps get some good drops...

17. RobbyD

RobbyD IncGamers Member

I got him further than that - finished up Andy (MUCH easier than in NM - I'm really liking this -EPR - plus she stayed decrep'd instead of LR'd) and got him to the first desert WP in Hell Act 2. I'm finding that as long as a monster isn't unbreakable PI, they go down fast and in huge groups. Hell is full of areas where your char gets swarmed. With PN, it's... wait for it... all dead! I did accidently do PN on my CtA switch, and I really see the impact of the -EPR... it's HUGE! I mean, Hell Andy went down pretty darn quick to poison (well maybe static from the CM helped get her half way there).

Now, PN lasts for 2 seconds, right? Well, it seems to me that some of the monsters actually stay poisoned longer than that - I really feel like some are dropping after like 3.5 seconds of poison. Does -EPR impact the duration of poison?

One more thing - CE is a lot stronger on /P8 than I expected it to be. Sure I have the monsters LR'd when they start popping (I like using CE in crowded Tomb rooms), but it really seems to me that the damage is scaling with player setting. Has anybody tested this?

So, I did take him to the Pits, and I really think this is a situation where a character can kill pretty much as fast on /P8 as /P1 - pretty much all monster packs went down with one PN. MC_Snail's MF is a little meager - only about 100%, but it might be worth running some Pits with him just because he can clear it so easy.

Oh, and for XP, no re-running was necessary. Since I cleared out all of the caves and crypts, he went from Level 74 to level 83 upon Andy's death. That's AMAZING XP in Hell Act 1 to somebody used to 1.09 level progression. At level 84 now in Act 2, he's where my biggest, baddest 1.09 chars going P8 all the way were upon Mat/Pat!

18. pharphis

poison res does in fact affect poison duration. I don't have a link handy but there's a guide on it somewhere in the stats or necro forum

19. Beoulve

Beoulve IncGamers Member

CE's damage is based on the HP of the dead mob, on P8 where the mobs have more HP CE will of course do more damage as well.

20. jeffy

jeffy IncGamers Member

It was buffed a bit in some recent patch to do more than 100% of monster's life.