Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates

Magic Find news... Insider leak or hoax?

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 Community Forum' started by xManiaCCCx, Aug 17, 2012. | Replies: 50 | Views: 4500

1. xManiaCCCx

xManiaCCCx IncGamers Member

Well, there is one interesting post on reddit.. about magic find changes .. I have no idea if this is hoax or not.. but..well..it's worth to read I guess.

source:
    http://www.reddit.com/r/Diablo/comm...pid_release_of_updates_this_week_will/c5uon0o

2. kestegs

kestegs D3 Monk Moderator

I'm leaning toward hoax. But I don't read Reddit so I don't know if this guy is credible or not.
  3. Kinmaul

Kinmaul IncGamers Member

Wasn't there already a 'leak/troll/something' talking about Levels of Excellence, but it was just the name and no information?

I wouldn't be upset if these turned out to be true.
  4. Kailenaa

Kailenaa IncGamers Member

Now imagine all these bots : Set up for a night in Normal Act1 killing elites, then loading inferno act3/4 to kill that 500 and booom, he gots free legendary.
  5. Kinmaul

Kinmaul IncGamers Member

It's already been deduced by botters that Blizzard is actively tracking accounts for boss kills over a 24 hour period since a popular bot does Sarkoth runs repeatedly. If your character reaches the threshold (it's very high and you won't hit it by normal play) then your account gets flagged. I'm sure killing 500 elites in a faster than reasonable time will get your account banned.

Edit:
    Anywho this is pure speculation at this point. We can debate possible exploits after the actual Dev blog comes out. :p
  6. herfy

herfy IncGamers Member

I like this mechanic. Your 500th elite kill will drop a legendary that has bind on equip (and will hopefully have some nice text telling us) which you can either sell or equip. Normal legendaries won't have the bind on equip and would be worth a lot more. This still keeps a stream of brimstones into the economy (maybe too many) and you get a "nice" legendary every 17 runs or so (an A2 run takes about 30 min, and I kill about 10 packs or so, 10*3 = 30, 500/30 = 16.6, 17*30/60 =8.5 hours). I would assume that the level of excellence has counters for each difficultly level. Therefore you can't go to nightmare and mow down elites then get your final packs in inferno.
  7. ShadoutMapes

ShadoutMapes IncGamers Member

I cant imagine Blizzard calling a system "levels of excellence". Wasnt the naming of that in the blue post due to google translation?
    So I guess it a hoax sadly.

Anyway, I would really like this system quite a lot. It reminds me a little of what I wanted Nephalem Valor to be - stacking in the hundreds, and not resetting between session.

BoE? Sure. Anything that limits AH sounds like a positive thing by now :)

One modification I would make to the system, to not greatly favor fast ac1 farming:
    Act 1 elites giving 1 stack, act 2 elites giving 2 stacks, and act 3-4 elites giving 3 (maybe even 4) stacks.
    Non-Inferno giving nothing of course.
  8. xManiaCCCx

xManiaCCCx IncGamers Member

Actually "levels of excellence" name is very possible new MF system.. there was a blue post about it few days ago..but it doesn't mean is this exact system.. but still.. I hope it's true..

9. ShadoutMapes

ShadoutMapes IncGamers Member

Wasnt the blue post on Spanish forum or something like that?

I surely believe a new system is coming due to that post - just not sure it will have that specific name, it sounded a lot like bad google translation (tm) :D And thus not sure this reddit stuff is true either. Crossing my fingers though!
  10. Simfish

Simfish IncGamers Member

The funny thing is that these are actually great ideas that change the incentives structure of the game completely. I do think that this is sadly a subtle troll, but the ideas are great to discuss.

BoE Legendaries based on how many Inferno elite packs you've killed? That would solve NUMEROUS problems in one fell swoop. The solution would actually provide a reasonable sense of progression that has been missing entirely so far. It would significantly reduce the effectiveness of gold farming by making items the primary means to get farther in the game, just like in World of Warcraft. In WoW, the fact that there were bots almost didn't even matter in the grand scale of things, and the fact that the best gear was obtainable only through actual game play made it difficult for botters and arbitragers to have a stranglehold on the in-game economy and progression like they do in Diablo 3. Rewarding people through game play that can't easily be replicated by bots is just one huge step forward to legitimizing the game in the eyes of gamers.

I think an improvement to the legendary idea would be for harder mobs to give more stacks of LoE. So for instance, you get more stacks killing the harder mobs in Act 3 than in Act 1.
  11. TheDestructor

TheDestructor IncGamers Member

Haha, it's like we're back to the days before D3's release. I sort of like this idea... is it true? Who knows!
  12. marshmallow

marshmallow IncGamers Member

Why would Blizz do BoE? RMAH, remember!
  13. jamesL

jamesL IncGamers Member

14. Bad Ash

Bad Ash IncGamers Site Pal

15. Capt Goodman

Capt Goodman IncGamers Member

Well, let's apply a bit of D3 logic here.

New idea + lots of people liking it = not gonna happen.

It's a hoax, take that to the bank.
  16. Simfish

Simfish IncGamers Member

But I want to BELIEVE!

17. Dreamcrusha

Dreamcrusha IncGamers Member

if its real then i find it to be a really interesting idea, it encourages people to farm and ensures that legendaries will be balanced. The only thing i find thats real so far is just the "levels of excellence" cause that was leaked but everything else is soso.
  18. Katniss

Katniss IncGamers Member

Maybe it was leaked on purpose to get a reaction without officially saying, "This is what it's gonna be!" and that way if it DOES garner a negative reaction, they can be like, "I dunno who told you guys it would be X, but it's actually gonna be Y. Isn't Y WAY MORE AWESOMER than X?"

Conspiracy theories aside, this sounds awesome. I wonder if it would be worth it to have LoE affect your MF as it builds, too. So, NV keeps you in a game and farming content rather than specific end bosses; regular MF on gear works with improving what you get from these content farm runs; and LoE not only guarantees you a Legendary drop at 500, but maybe every 100 it gives you 10% base MF so you get rewarded along the way for building it up and when you have 400 LoE and 5 stacks of NV, that's an extra 115% MF.
  19. Dread

Dread IncGamers Member

To be honest, it sounds awesome.
  20. betazoid

betazoid IncGamers Member

Finding a legendary is already random and rare so you can compare it to jackpot. This idea of LoE that increases slowly each time you kill elite and does not reset, is a good one, cause it would compensate poor mechanics of NV stacks and make short game periods and act swapping more popular. Of course you cannot give exact break point how many elite packs you need to kill to drop a legendary, but have still randomness and slowly increase the chance to get "7 affix roll" is great. In the end, people would not notice the difference. LoE could then reset after 10 or 1000 elite packs, but overall increase the chances more you play and avoid not to get a single legendary like some people do right now.

BoE, well dunno about this, not really belong to Diablo series and would discourage people of using items that are dropped and sell instead.

Anyway, this reddit post is hoax even I think this "LoE" will be patched one way or another.