Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Magetank Build

Discussion in 'Wizard' started by jjmalove, Apr 24, 2012. | Replies: 7 | Views: 1389

1. jjmalove

jjmalove IncGamers Member

Magetank Build

*Please note this build is designed for group play with a full party of friends, and is designed to be the first to charge into monsters while the rest kill them*

This is a build I've come up with and plan to try out on release, The Magetank: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#WYdXOg!abf!aZaaca

The idea is a low-medium damage melee character with high survivability and crowd control. The most obvious options were Barbarian and Monk, but I decided to try and think outside the box and this is what I came up. The Magetank, or MT from henceforth, has some of the most powerful and low cooldown AOE CC moves in the game. Explanations below:

The primary damage move of the MT is Spectral Blade w/ Deep Cuts. This has a total of 170% weapon damage which is amongst the highest spammablel Left Mouse Button in the game, and its a small AOE as well!

Frost Nova w/ Cold Snap claims the Right Mouse Button and is his first CC move. With Evocation Passive (all further moves assume this passive as well) this sports a 7.5 second CD for a 3 second AOE Freeze. This is the first move used once a few monsters are in range, to stop them in their tracks.

Wave of Force w/ Impactful Wave is the MT's second CC move. It sports a longer 13 second , but accomplishes a similar goal of an AOE CC. This one flings them back, stuns them, and does a decent chunk of damage plus snare.

Diamond Skin w/ Crystal Shell gives you a massive damage shield to use between your two CC moves. It lasts 6 seconds of which you will mitigate most if not all damage done to you. It has a 13 second CD meaning it can be rotated between your moves easily while they are on CD.

Energy Armor w/ Prismatic Armor is a near passive defensive boost that really shines at level 60 with the final glyph. Until then, it will actually be Ice Armor w/ Crystallize. The big drawback of Energy Armor is completely negated because this build will never run out of Arcane Power! It offers 65% Armor and 40% Magic Resistance, massively improving the passive mitigation of the MT from a glass cannon to Barbarian/Monk levels.

Slow Time is the last choice (replacing Magic Weapon). This gives another CC option, an answer to projectile attacks like a large group of skeleton archers, and Miasma helps keep them CCed even after they get out.

The Passives I chose are Evocation, Blur, and Galvanizing Ward.

Evocation is a must-have because this moves depends on 3 moves with cooldowns. Evocation brings them down low enough that rotating between the 3 you always have one defensive ability active at a time. The enemies are either frozen, stunned, or hitting your diamond armor at all times massively improving your survivability.

Blur stacks with Energy Armor to give the Wizard Barbarian level mitigation.

Galvanizing Ward gives the MT the needed regen he is missing, as well as the convenience of 4-minute buffs instead of two. This makes recasting your Armor and Weapon buffs more consistent and in line with each other as well.

So, tell me what you think!

Last edited: Apr 30, 2012
  2. jjmalove

Re: Magetank Build

I'm also thinking of replacing Magic Weapon with Slow Time w/ Miasma.

3. capnlarge

capnlarge IncGamers Member

If you're tanking, you might want Shock Pulse in there somewhere too. Extremely effective skill at short range.

4. Moonie

Moonie IncGamers Member

Never thought about building a MT : ) Original I must say, workable? dunno :)

5. jamesL

jamesL IncGamers Member

6. _TOP_Commander

_TOP_Commander IncGamers Member

Playing a Mage as a tank is potentially possible but why whould someone do that :scratchchin:

Sorcs are the ultimate AOE killing machines imo :)

7. ahwolf

ahwolf IncGamers Member

Because you can, because it`s fun, because it`s different, because Blizz has put in milions of combinations!!!

8. jjmalove

Haha I don't disagree that Wizards can be an extremely strong damage class =)

Well there are a couple of reasons I am interested in making this Magetank:

A. I really like the idea of a Spellsword type character, and sadly these are usually pretty rare in most games. A spellsword is basically a melee wizard who combines physical attacks with magic abilities. I think this build replicates that pretty well!

B. I want a tank character, someone who might not do much damage but is just a real truck to kill and has a lot of crowd control. My options seemed pigeon holed into Barbarian and Monk. While I love the Barbarian , I feel like the Wizard actually has stronger survivability moves and crowd control. As for the Monk, I'm not really sure of comparisions but I'm not particularly interested in playing one in general unlike the Wizard and Barbarian. Lets compare a few things:

Frost Nova w/ Cold Snap and Evocation is a 3 second AOE freeze with a 7.5 second cooldown. This is a massively powerful spell for controlling mobs, and has absolutely no resource mechanic associated with it. The closest Barbarian move is his ground stomp, which is a 4 second stun on a 12 second cooldown. The Frost Nova actually has more uptime and is better imo!

Wave of Force offers basically my own ground stomp as a second AOE CC. The Barbarian has Leap that can stun, or maybe a move like Seismic Slam for some knockback. I think both are good here, but the Frost Nova seems like a clear winner for CC than anything the Barb has.

Diamond Armor just looks amazing. The Barb has Ignore Pain, and whether one works better than the other is hard to say. However, Diamond Armor is a fraction of the CD, so while IP is usually generally once a fight, DA may be usable twice.

As far as I can tell, Energy Armor + Blur should put me into solid defensive territory versus physical stuff, but my magic resistance seems unmatched by any class. Not only do I get a whopping 40% increase from this, but INT is my primary stat which also raises magic resist. If this game is anything like D2, magic resistance is VERY IMPORTANT!

I basically have my own Cleave as my spammable move, similar to what I would imagine Barb Tanks would use.

310 Health Regen I have no basis for. It could be tons or not much I have no idea, but I have it!

The more I've thought about it Slow Time is probably what will replace Magic Weapon. It just seems awesome and gives a great answer for for any sort of missile or projectile attacks as well as its more obvious snare and attack speed reduction. This move seems amazing for team support as well and I think miasma is probably the best choice.