Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Mafia signups - 40K themed

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by Caluin Graye, Aug 20, 2013. | Replies: 82 | Views: 5114

1. Caluin Graye

Caluin Graye IncGamers Member

Welcome to another exciting installment of Caluin Graye Mafia Theatre!

Tonight's performance features Warhammer 40K - a setting in the far future, long after Mankind has tread upon the stars themselves, unlocked the secrets of genetics, warp travel, even psychic abilities! However, it is said that the darkness of space houses the most dangerous horrors that could only be spawned from our nightmares. Indeed, some of those horrors are in fact created specifically from our most base emotions!

------------

This is the sign up thread for a standard Mafia game. For those unfamiliar with Mafia games, please see the following post to get a rough idea of what it's all about:
    http://wiki.mafiascum.net/index.php?title=Main_Page

Some caveats, very important!

1) I will be working with a couple of new mechanics and roles. Nothing outlandish, and I've done my best to balance it as best I can. I'm not yet willing to cite the "Bastard mod" rule, but there will be some things that will make all teams involved ask questions.
    2) Specifically, one of those mechanics is an alignment change. It will be possible, under a specific set of conditions, for a player's win condition to change part way through the game. It will be a rare occurrence, however, and most players won't even notice. It is a possibility with what I'm planning though, and I want to make sure everyone signing up knows about it before hand.
    3) Other than the aforementioned mechanics, this game will be a standard Vanilla game. (I.E., not a WIFOA, not Power Role Madness, etc).

I'm aiming for 20 or more players, but I can easily balance for 16 as well.

For anyone unfamiliar with Warhammer 40K, I've added a spoilered section that explains the history of the game, some of the more interesting tidbits of the setting, and what the specifics of the game will revolve around story wise. It's worth pointing out now, however, that prior knowledge of Warhammer 40K is not necessary. Reading a wiki, any books, or even knowing one iota of the game will not give any player an edge over another. The setting is merely fluff.

Thank you everyone in advance for signing up! I'm legitimately peeing my pants in excitement over running this game.

Let's say... one week for signups. Start the game on Monday the 26th. I like 5:00pm EST, so we'll do that.

Twilight phase start, as usual.

Players signed up:

1. pharphis
    2. BipolarChemist
    3. Phillinicus
    4. Bad Ash
    5. crawlingdeadman
    6. flubbucket
    7. Goryani
    8. Drixx
    9. ThunderCat
    10. Sathoris
    11. Jcakes
    12. Pyrotechnician
    13. Jason Maher
    14. Gwaihir
    15. djmbanddie
    16. Zauper
    17. Numbers
    18. kestegs

---------FLUFF SECTION------------
    Warhammer 40K is a collectible miniature strategy war game owned by Games Workshop, a UK based company. They make a number of games, ranging from their own IP (Warhammer and Warhammer 40K), to more well known IPs such as Lord of the Rings. To play the game, you first pick an army which can range from one of the various human factions to strange, terrifying aliens. You then purchase models for the army, which come in various kits of plastic, pewter, or resin. The models are assembled, painted to your liking, then once you have a full army built, you play against other enthusiasts on a 6'x4' playing field.

As you might imagine, it is a very expensive hobby, but very rewarding. Many people enjoy just the gaming aspect and will buy prebuild, pre-painted armies, while others enjoy just the modeling portion of the hobby and constantly try to improve their painting skills. I've known a few people who make a very good living painting models and then selling them for a profit.

The setting for Warhammer 40K takes place in the 41st Millennium. Mankind has expanded amongst the stars and their empire has grown wise, advanced, and prosperous. Using what is referred to as 'The Warp', a sub-dimension that resides beneath our own, mankind can travel faster than light and communicate with planets across the galaxy in a blink of an eye.

Then, the Warp is suddenly cut off. Warp storms ravage planets, and no ships or communications are able to breach the barriers. This goes on for many years, and planets that relied upon the safety of the human empire resort to barbarism and piracy. Eventually the storms subside and the Warp is restored, but it is dangerous and the damage has been done. The human Empire is fractured, and the border worlds fall easy prey to the other denizens of the galaxy, such as the Dark Eldar and the Orks.

One man rose up, however. One man united the techo-tribes of Earth, bound them beneath his fist. This man created a legion of super humans - called the 'Adeptus Astartes' (AKA, Space Marines) - and with them, swept across the galaxy reclaiming the lost worlds. Planet by planet, sector by sector, the new Emperor conquered the barbarians and brought them back into the folds of the Empirium.

Tragically, the Emperor was betrayed by his most favoured son. Corrupted by entities of the Warp, known as the 'Gods of Chaos', Horus - Patriach of the Luna Wolves - convinced nearly half of the Adeptus Astartes legions to turn against the Emperor. A massive civil war raged, with trillions upon trillions of lives lost. And when the legions of Chaos were at Earth's door, about to crush all of mankind's hopes forever more, the Emperor himself rose up against Horus. He boarded the Battle Barge orbiting Earth, and in single combat, slew his most favoured son. With Horus struck down, the traitor legions had no choice but to flee disorganized and defeated, and retreated in the Warp to serve their new masters.

But the victory came at a price. The Emperor was mortally wounded. With his final breaths, he ordered a device be created in all haste. This device resembled a Golden Throne, and there the shattered, broken body of the Emperor was seated.

That was over ten thousand years ago. The Emperor is long dead, though the Golden Throne sustains his vital functions. There he is worshipped by all. The Empire of Man has descended into nothing more than a self-sustaining organism, swamped with bureaucracy, paranoia, hatred, and tradition. New thoughts are squashed. Dissension is dealt with harshly. The only purpose of the Empire now is to keep the Empire alive.

That, my friends, is where we come in. Enemies rage across our borders, and if we do not meet them, they will over run us. The Adeptus Astartes are strong, but few in number. The Imperial Guard are countless and expendable, but so are our foes. All we can do is wage war. Fight, and kill them as they come.

For those wishing to know more, please check out this site: wh40k.lexicanum.com
    WARNING: I gave a very quick, condensed version of the specific human history above. The rabbit hole is deep with this one.
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2013
  2. pharphis

pharphis IncGamers Site Pal

​in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11 .
  3. BipolarChemist

BipolarChemist IncGamers Site Pal

In!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  4. Caluin Graye

Phew! Suicide averted!
  5. Phillinnicus

Phillinnicus IncGamers Member

Another Canadian, this is going to be a good one, eh?
  6. Phillinnicus

We obviously need more Canadian. I'm in so hard.
  7. BipolarChemist

BipolarChemist IncGamers Site Pal

Yeah baby, yeah!
  8. Bad Ash

Bad Ash IncGamers Site Pal

9. crawlingdeadman

crawlingdeadman IncGamers Site Pal

I'll give it a shot. Do we get mini figs to represent us?
  10. flubbucket

flubbucket IncGamers Member

I'll play.

How many of your roles will wind up in the "best of" games?? :wink:

Perhaps a Canadian Gun Owner??
  11. Goryani

Goryani IncGamers Member

Dibs on a scary alien with psychic powers. Just kidding. I already have psychic powers.

/in
  12. Phillinnicus

I want a role-target randomizer. Every single action is reassigned to another player.
  13. Caluin Graye

I was going to put that role into my next WIFOA game. (Except mafia night kill; that stays on target).
  14. Phillinnicus

You sick bastard.
  15. pharphis

pharphis IncGamers Site Pal

I call cult recruiter
  16. Drixx

Drixx IncGamers Site Pal

May I play?
  17. flubbucket

I sensed this long ago. :fortune:
  18. Goryani

Goryani IncGamers Member

I knew you were going to say that.
  19. ThunderCat

ThunderCat IncGamers Member

And you're not an alien Goryani? I thought you were. You should have a kid with Ankeli, that way, the child will be an alien and have scumdar psychic powers AND eat hats. Instant win for everybody.

PS: In.
  20. flubbucket