Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Mac help needed! Mountain Lion, Wineskin, and RWM

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Fed, Feb 18, 2013. | Replies: 16 | Views: 2734

1. Fed

Fed IncGamers Member

RWM and Wineskin (SOLVED)

NOTE: This thread is intended for any Mac users who, of necessity, must run "Diablo II.exe" using Wineskin, and should therefore only apply to OSX 10.7 and up (For instructions on how to install D2 on OSX 10.7 and later, refer to this guide).

To install RWM simply:

1. Download RWM for PC

2. Unzip, and place the folder labeled "data" directly into the "Diablo II" folder in the Wineskin wrapper (To find the folder, right-click your wrapper and click "Show Package Contents." The "Diablo II" folder may be found here: /drive_c/Program Files/Diablo II)

3A. To create your RWM shortcut, right-click your wrapper, click "Show Package Contents," and open up "Wineskin." Hit "Advanced," and under the tab labeled "Tools," hit "Custom .EXE Creator." Type "-direct -txt" into the ".EXE Flags" field, name the shortcut, and apply any screen options you'd like to set.

[​IMG]

3B. Alternatively, if you'd like RWM to stay enabled at all times, simply right-click the wrapper, click "Show Package Contents," and open up "Wineskin." Hit "Advanced", and type in "-direct -txt" in the ".EXE Flags" field.

[​IMG]

Enjoy! :thumbup:

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2013
  2. hedley

hedley IncGamers Member

Although I'm not using play on mac, I am using wineskin to run d2. I'm also unable to run RWM, and GoMule runs but cannot access my character saves. I've tried everything I've been able to find (and have been searching a while) to fix this. Still can't find any workarounds, but that doesn't mean there's not a way to get this to function properly.

Would love a response from anyone using wineskin to run d2 that has fixed this issue.
  3. Fed

Fed IncGamers Member

I've so far been able to access character saves with GoMule; If you need help, just let send me a PM
  4. Fed

Fed IncGamers Member

For anyone else that may be wondering, in order to access your character save files in Wineskin, you simply need to create an alias (shortcut) to the save folder.

GoMule can't access the original save folder, because it is inside the D2 packaged application. You have to take the new shortcut to the save folder (Alias), and place it anywhere else on your hard drive.

When opening files in GoMule, make sure you change file format from

".d2s files" to "All Files"

That way, GoMule will be able to open the Alias folder, and it will take you straight to your save files.

This method was confirmed by both hedley and I.
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2013
  5. hedley

hedley IncGamers Member

A RWM question. When I first tried to put it on D2 I moved the entire folder into the D2 files. When that didn't work I moved the 1.13d mpq file from the folder straight to the list of files, but didn't move the D2 Patch (Carbon) into my files. I was worried that moving the carbon patch directly into my files might cause the entire app to work incorrectly, since I don't believe wineskin uses carbon? If anyone else could clarify this then it would make it a lot easier to find a workaround.
  6. maxicek

maxicek IncGamers Member

Silospen used to run D2 with Wine. Originally he had to package the mods into the MPQ file, as is done for the Mac RWM.

I am fairly certain he posted how to do it without packaging it in one of the RWM threads - I suggest searching his posts.

Max.
  7. hedley

hedley IncGamers Member

I've taken a look at his posts and the new downloads have them in mpq form. The problems I run into are that when I try to do anything with the carbon patch file, it asks that the LOD disc be inserted. But before this I've been running it without the cd so I'm wondering if there is a way to do this without having a cd in the drive. The other one is I'm having a bit of trouble with the '-direct -txt' part of the instructions. Admittedly I'm new to editing things on the mac side, so I'm hoping someone who has used a previous version of the mac RWM mod can give some better insight.
  8. Fed

Fed IncGamers Member

Can you link me to these posts? I've been searching for his posts about this, but I haven't been able to find them yet
  9. Fed

Fed IncGamers Member

Edit: Problem solved :)
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2013
  10. hedley

hedley IncGamers Member

I still haven't been able to fully figure it out. I took another look at anything resembling instructions that I could find. I have a question that I hope you could answer Max. Is it necessary to create a copy of the d2 files like I've seen on some instructions. I'm very hesitant to try something like that because I'm worried that it will mess with the wineskin set up. I've put the files directly into the D2 program files in the application, but it still isn't functioning properly. Is it necessary to remove all other patch .mpq files that were initially installed except for the D2XP_XMAC_1.13c_1.13d.mpq file in the RWM download that I moved into the D2 program files?
  11. Fed

Fed IncGamers Member

Edit: Problem solved :)
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2013
  12. Fed

Fed IncGamers Member

Solution found! Refer to original post
  13. Andersdhx

Andersdhx IncGamers Member

Hi Fed, great post, but do you know if it should work on the "X11" for mac? I've placed the date files in the D2 folder, but seems unable to find anywhere to execute "3B" in your guide?

Best,
  14. jamesixgun

jamesixgun IncGamers Site Pal

@Andersdhx: see my reply in the D2 Mac Guide thread. That should help.

@Fed: I'm going to try to get an update to the D2 Mac Guide together. Do you mind if I include your instructions for Wineskin?
  15. jeffy

jeffy IncGamers Member

If it's tricky to get D2 working, the easiest solution is probably to virtualize a windows host and run it there.
  16. purplelocust

purplelocust IncGamers Member

I've been happy using VirtualBox on a Mac to make a virtual old Windows install and run D2 there (under Win2K, the latest version of Windows that I have a license for.) Diablo runs well and ATMA runs well there. I didn't get GoMule (or Java) running there- instead, I run GoMule on the Mac side. Two downsides- I haven't been able to take screenshots in the virtual machine that work, and I never bothered to get TCP/IP working there so it is only single-player. One nice upside is that I can move that virtual machine to any one of a number of Macs and it all just works as the same virtual machine. Another nice upside is that I actually have two virtual machines, one for 1.07 and one for 1.10+ and I don't have to worry about accidentally opening a 1.07 character and inadvertently bringing it forward. It's kind of a comical waste to have an entire duplicate of a virtual machine just to avoid getting the TrenShadow version switcher (or the modern versions, which I don't think work with the old OS) working, but it works for me.

It is just occurring to me that I can take screenshots from the Mac side of the VirtualPC window- I should have thought of that a while ago! That won't work for the immediate action shots but could be handy.

I set it up several years ago and a couple of machines ago and I don't remember any particular difficulty, except maybe getting the CD image to be recognized. I did have some concerns once I got it working, but those have been no problem. That is, I was worried that newer and newer versions of VirtualBox would somehow break what I'd set up and gotten working, but those concerns were all ill-founded and it's been working great for years now.
  17. jamesixgun

jamesixgun IncGamers Site Pal

I just tried the Wineskin method on my mbp, and it went far more easily than the PlayOnMac install. I had two random, unexplained errors installing classic, and then it went with no issues; and one random, unexplained error installing the expansion before it too went with no issues. I haven't done any real playing, but the only hiccough was making it run in a window, and getting some aliases on the mac side to make launching easier. The whole thing took about 20 minutes.

I'm working on an update to the mac guide, albeit very slowly, but hope to have something together over the Thanksgiving holiday.

One benefit of Wineskin (or another Wine bottler for Mac) is that everything works as expected, because D2 thinks your modern computer is a 12 year old mid-grade windows box. Screenshots appear where you expect, and I suspect TrenShadow's version switcher could be made to work. GoMule will have to live on the mac side, but everything is just in folders. (Well, that's not quite true... something in Mavericks makes the applications Wineskin creates fail to launch, but it's a simple 'show package contents' and go from there, so it's easy enough. The Wineskin people are working, and may come up with something someday.)

I think Wineskin mostly plays better with the downloadable installers, but I'll try to install from disks and see if that works (PlayOnMac couldn't handle the cd switching), if I still have my disks. (It might also be interesting to see if D1 can be made to work, and if I can use a similar thing to get Civ III to work... but there's only so much gaming time, and it's very limited, so maybe not...)