Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Lower Kurast: Campfire Runs or Full Clears?

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by o1d_dude, Sep 14, 2007. | Replies: 25 | Views: 4165

1. o1d_dude

o1d_dude IncGamers Member

Lower Kurast: Campfire Runs or Full Clears?

Someone made a statement in another thread to the effect that running LK was quicker than running the Countess and more productive.

I'm curious to know what you 1000+ LK runners do. Full clears and popping every prop or just dashing through the campfires for the super chests?

What players setting are you using?

I've been running my 404 percent MF BlizzSorc through LK on players 8. Everything I encounter dies pretty much instantly and I don't have to stop for the "/players 8" gorgonzola command to pop the chests plus a bit of XP never hurt.

My luck in LK thus far hasn't been all that great. Maybe I'm doing it wrong? Use a lower players setting?

Talk to me.
  2. pancakeman

pancakeman IncGamers Member

I usually do only campfires now, since I have a quick map, but I havn't found anything this way.

However, I used to do skeletons and stuff and found a Gul that way.

I believe Jaed has found 2 Vexs by doing all the chests, but I am not sure.
  3. Yaotzin

Yaotzin IncGamers Member

I do chests only for a couple of reasons:

1) I'm slow. It takes me ages to find stuff and click it.
    2) Most important, I can watch TV or something and barely pay attention with just chests:) I could probably do it blind I've done it so many times.

Doing full clears might be better since you can get the runes the chests can't drop (Gul/Ohm/Lo), but it's so much more effort, for me at least.

Oh, don't lower the players setting if you want Bers, they only drop on p8 I believe.

Remember you're looking at ~11k runs (65k chests specifically) on average per Ber, don't expect them to rain down :p
  4. Corrupted

Corrupted IncGamers Member

If Sur/Ber isn't particularly in your interest you should go with alot of random objects. Full clears suck because memorizing the entire map is difficult. Stick with /players7 or /players8. Don't spend time on monsters unless they block your path or you really want to :badteeth:
  5. SNLR

SNLR Banned

If you are lucky, then LK may yield a ber or sur to you.

If you like cubing runes from el to whatever rune you desire for, you can try countess.

Both run can turn out nasty if you encounter a pack of tough boss like monster with conviction aura and lightning enchanted.
  6. Joosh

Joosh IncGamers Member

Hmmm I've been running LK pretty hard for a while now and am probably nearing 4,000 runs on the total.

I've gone through different phases but to be honest I find the most efficient way (the way I run now) to be hitting the superchests and anything that doesn't take you off your path or make you wait.

My runs are at 25-30 seconds and I hit the 6 superchests and generally between 5-8 'poppables'. So far I've pulled a Ber and a few Pul and lower runes from the superchests and 2 Vex runes from poppables (one from a corpse and one from a log).

That's just my two cents.

Joosh :thumbsup:

EDIT:

Here are some images.

Vex Rune 1
    Vex Rune 2

and

Ber Rune
  7. pancakeman

pancakeman IncGamers Member

Sorry, I meant Joosh, not Jaed.

My bad.
  8. o1d_dude

Perhaps it just my map.

It only has one campfire so I'm popping only half the super chests I'd get with two.

OTOH, I'm not real excited about rolling a new one because I'd lose a wonderful Ancient Tunnels map: Just a couple of teleports to the sparkly chest and the rest of map is circular meaning you can do a full clear without covering any already cleared areas.
  9. Joosh

Joosh IncGamers Member

Pay with your life!!!

or pancakes :grin:, both work for me :laugh:.

/OT

EDIT:

@o1d_dude

Since I rolled my LK map I've not been willing to reroll it once... I have (what I think is) the best LK map I've ever seen and therefore will probably not reroll it until I find that second Ber rune I crave so much. If you would like I can post the map here so you can see it too?

Let me know

Joosh

10. o1d_dude

Sure, post it so we can all see it.

Thanks!
  11. Joosh

Joosh IncGamers Member

This is my LK map

Note that the highlighted 'poppables' aren't the only ones in my map (there are 15 or so that I skip because they slow my run), they are just the ones I choose to hit.

Joosh :thumbsup:

EDIT:

The Unreadable Blue Text is supposed to say "Superchests"

MS Paint ftw eh? :laugh:
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2007
  12. Jaedhann

Jaedhann IncGamers Member

My map of LK. I basically run the superchest and pop ervry poppable in screen with telekenesis while hopping from superchest-hut to hut. Although i never found a vex (let alone 2 :badteeth:), i found a Ber and Sur from the superchests and a Lo from a random log. Furter i found one ist and a couple (4/5?)mals from both superchests and normal popables. Did more then 10k runs now i think. Didn't actually count them, but it's an educated guess.

-Jae
  13. DZJB

DZJB IncGamers Member

I really envy you guys... Not that I've done that much LK runs, I think I've already done a couple of hundred, but those gravy Vex/Sur/Ber's haven't popped yet.

I do have another question about the number of superchests. My LK map is pretty sweet too, the WP is right next to the bonfire. In total, there are 3 superchests I pop during one run. But I noticed that Joosh is running 6 on his map...:scratch: Could it be that there are only 3 on my map?

-DZJB
  14. Espr

Espr IncGamers Member

The number of super chests is related to the number of bonfires. You get 3 per bonfire.
  15. Corrupted

Corrupted IncGamers Member

Your map is decent Joosh, but why are you taking an inefficient route? :badteeth:

Again I'll stress that you should only focus on the special chests if you're specifically interested in Sur/Ber, if you just want runes/charms/jewel/gems in general you should focus on more regular objects.
  16. Joosh

Joosh IncGamers Member

@Corrupted

Actually the only reason I do it that route is because I am so used to it, I enjoy it... call it the scenery or what you will but I choose to take that route over it's circular counterpart :laugh:
  17. Atil

Atil IncGamers Member

I run the superchests only, on a two campfire map, at P8 with a Frenzy Barbarian and have not killed a single critter in the last 1500+ runs.

It does yield high level runes (I got a Ber during the Mini MFO rune hunt) but don't expect them dropping at regular intervals, as that will drive you insane. Run to collect charms or flawless gems, which drop in large quantities, and consider the high runes a bonus.
  18. Jaago

Jaago IncGamers Member

My best LK map looks like this. It's pretty much as good as it gets and it also has a great AT map. :prop:

I personally run the superchests only. I might pop some random chests that spawn inside the huts, but otherwise I never bother. It's a shame I don't have time to do more LK now, because I really want a Ber now that I already have found 2 Surs. :hide:
  19. CamaroIroc

CamaroIroc IncGamers Member

So, for an LK newb, what dya mean by campfires and superchests? :p
  20. jjscud

jjscud IncGamers Member

Just a few numbers to back it up, the average odds for a normal object (chest, log, stash etc) to drop a Ber at p8 is right about 1/1000000. Divide by the odds per special chest and the special chests are about 15 times more likely to drop a Ber.

I know that 30 second runs special chest runs are quite reasonable. That's 5 second per chest (averaging in loading and all). So to be worth it, you would have to pop 15 objects in those 5 seconds or 3 normal objects a second.

That's not completely impossible but it is an insane pace to keep up.

@CamaroIroc - First Campfires - well, we call them that because that's what they look like. Go explore Lower Kurast (explore @ p1 in normal just to get a feel for the place even). On each LK map, you will find 1 or 2 clearings with a large fire in the middle, if that doesn't make sense, go explore, it will once you see it.

Once you've found the campfire, there will be a hut directly above the fire with one chest in it and a hut directly to the left with two chests in it. These chests are "Special Chests" and have excellent odds of dropping Bers and Surs (at least excellent compared to anything else in the game).

@Jaago - Nice map, probably the best I've ever seen.