Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Low $250 Auction Price Cap puts 3rd Party Gold/Item Selling Sites out of business?

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 Market & Economy Discussion Forum' started by PearlOrion, May 3, 2012. | Replies: 16 | Views: 3311

1. PearlOrion

PearlOrion IncGamers Member

Low $250 Auction Price Cap puts 3rd Party Gold/Item Selling Sites out of business?

Some posters have pointed $250 Auction Price Cap is used albeit underhandedly by Blizzard to force everyone to convert $ to gold and to slow down the rate where gold is being converted into $ (hence raising the value of gold).

But another effect is that it actually lowers the profit cap of 3rd Party Gold/Item Selling Sites which
    - uses Middlemen who marks up prices
    - employs bots or manual sweat-shop farmers
    because they have to price their goods to be lower than the Auction House pricing

The middlemen usually guts the seller down to as low as 5% of the actual price that they intend to sell to the next/final buyer in the chain (does sound like an underground pawnshop where you have desperate sellers). I seriously don't think the players are going to take a undercut greater than Blizzard-Paypal's combined tax rate.

As for those businesses which employs bots or manual sweat-shop farmers, their revenue has been reduced more than 2/3 assuming that pricy items like Windforce used to cost like $800 in Diablo 2 before duping began.

However, sites which offers Player-to-Player trading will still continue to function as per normal.
  2. SEOLJL

SEOLJL IncGamers Member

Re: Low $250 Auction Price Cap puts 3rd Party Gold/Item Selling Sites out of business

It's not the selling cap , its just the highest price you can start the auction at.So nothing changes.
  3. Koreos

Koreos IncGamers Member

Re: Low $250 Auction Price Cap puts 3rd Party Gold/Item Selling Sites out of business

I have read all the FAQs and that $250 cap seems to be the cap for your Battle.net balance, not a RMAH transactions.
  4. Enlil

Enlil IncGamers Member

eu.battle.net/support/en/article/diablo-iii-auction-house-functionality

What’s the minimum and maximum bid I can set for an item?
    In the gold-based auction house, the minimum you can list an item for is 100 gold, and the maximum is 100,000,000,000 gold.
    In the real-money auction house, the minimum you can list an item for is €1.25 EUR (or equivalent local currency). The maximum you can set is €250 EUR.

Which means $250 is the most an item an sell for.
    You could put your buyout price at $250 and starting price at $50 but the bidding can't go past $250

5. Koreos

Koreos IncGamers Member

OH, I must have missed it!

It might mean the highest starting bid. As if it was the buyout it would be called so?
  6. beingmused

beingmused IncGamers Member

If players end up doing transactions for very expensive items in gold instead of real money, then that helps the value of gold, but means blizzard gets none of the profits for that transaction. So even if that IS the motivation for the cap (which I doubt), calling it underhanded would not make a great deal of sense.
  7. glasspinne

glasspinne IncGamers Member

Maximum ending price is $250, sadface

8. Enlil

Enlil IncGamers Member

I agree the FAQ is not very clear in what its trying to say.
    Only way to be certain is stick $400 in the buyout box once the rmah is live. It will either accept it or tell you to gtfo.

Its the only way we will know for certain if $250 if the max buyout/sale price.

9. Blackstream

Blackstream IncGamers Member

10. Bloomberg

Bloomberg IncGamers Member

So far, all available official info about the so-called "cap" is, that from the sellers perspective, neither start price nor buyout can be SET any higher than 250$ (source: RMAH FAQ), and a scarce message on twitter.com comming from a semi-confused(?) community manager (Bashiok), that 250$ is the "be all, end all" limit on ANY RMAH sale/transaction.

So until I have missed something important, the true nature of the magical 250$ value has still to be officially confirmed/clarified before a final conclusion can be made.
  11. Eagle

Eagle IncGamers Member

While Bashiok gets things wrong sometimes his corrections to his mistake are usually accurate. And the "Hard Cap" was his correction to an earlier "no bidding cap" tweet.

It could still be wrong but the current "official" state of play is clearly "Hard Cap". Bashiok is an official source as far as 99.9% of people are concerned, even if he is wrong sometimes.
  12. Enlil

Enlil IncGamers Member

As Blackstream said:

Bashiok is about as offical as we get.
    https://twitter.com/#!/Bashiok/statu...47112462958592

I'd bet he's right this time and thats how the pricing will be.
    Last edited: May 3, 2012
  13. Coolhwip

Coolhwip IncGamers Member

Who cares about the $250 cap of Blizzard's AH system? In the past the RMAH didn't exist and you paid for items directly to the vendor, that is not going to change just because Blizzard developed their own middleman scheme to milk their customer's cash.
  14. mickptd

mickptd IncGamers Member

I have 1000€ item.

I sell it for gold (blizz takes 15%) = 850€ + time

I sell gold at RMAH (3x 250€ packs and 100€ ) (blizz takes 15%) = 739€ + timex2

I transfer money to paypal (another 15%) = 643€

Summary: 357€ lost

Action: got to 3d party site and sell it for €800

Am I wrong somewhere?
  15. Blackstream

Blackstream IncGamers Member

Not really, other than you could reinvest to make up that difference. Buy equivilent cost (or better) cheaper items and sell those on the rmah instead, for example.

Also the assumption that the 3rd party site will work for you as expected. Auctions have the potential to drive up the price quite a bit.

16. ADJMan

ADJMan IncGamers Site Pal

Well you could always, sell it for the value + value lost due to fees. So instead of selling it for $1000 worth of gold you sell it for $1500 worth of gold and in the end you end up with a close approximation of what you believed the item to be worth. Roughly 93% of original value.
  17. semakka

semakka IncGamers Member

Only when you are thinking that 3rd party sites are the same equivalent of RMAH in terms of security.

Go ahead, get scammed for 800 euros :D