Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Looking to optimize a novamancer for the next MFO. Advice is appreciated!

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Dazliare, Mar 30, 2013. | Replies: 9 | Views: 825

1. Dazliare

Dazliare IncGamers Member

Hey guys!

I tried the baal category during the last MFO for some extra xp, and found out just how awful he is for items. So I think this time around I'll use a novamancer pit runner since I've never had a pit runner before. Here's what I got so far:

Shako (ptopaz, I doubt I'll put ist in here, but maybe)
    Mara's 24@
    Enigma MP
    HoTO 38@
    Homunculus
    Travs 42mf
    soj
    30 Nagel
    Goldwrap
    trang gloves
    39 gheeds
    3 fungal gcs
    the rest 7mf scs
    6/6 CtA/spirit on switch. Likely going to respec and have lower strength for some vit

This puts my resists in the fairly mediocre category, but at least they're above 20. 409 MF, 60 fcr. My runs aren't the fastest, but I'll work on it. Skills are maxed poison dagger, poison explosion, pnova, CE, 1 in prereqs, 5 LR, 1 clay golem, 1 summon resist. I'm debating respeccing to put more points into LR vs CE. Thoughts on gear/build/etc?

As for a map, what am I looking for when rerolling? I found one that is one long hallway from entrance to lvl2, but none of the bosses really stack together, which slows me down a lot. Can anyone recommend a decent method of finding a good map?

Thanks!
  2. NagisaFurukawa

NagisaFurukawa IncGamers Member

What are resistances? No need for those.

I assume you don't have Death's Web? That's a major setback for speedy runs on higher players settings. For lower settings, there's no need to worry about anything other than MF, FCR, and mana. As the player count increases, add more damage accordingly. That's about it. The shield is supposedly a preference thing, but honestly 'Spirit' is just better than that thing.

The map you want has 3-4 bosses spawning in Pit 2, a high density Pit 1, and a short distance from the waypoint to Pit itself. A shrine or well won't hurt. The raw number of bosses spawning doesn't matter as much as the speed at which you can dispose of them. Pit 2 has the greatest consistency and boss/time ratio, so even a really short Pit 1 with ~ 4 bosses on average can work decently.

EDIT: A good method to find a map would be praying like heck. If you find something that seems potentially worthy, run it 50 times or so and figure out the consistency of the spawns, number of bosses, and run times. Like what you see? Keep it. Otherwise, reroll.
  3. Dazliare

I've been really torn between homunc and spirit, but I guess if resists don't matter, then spirit is probably better. My current map averages 2.3 bosses in pit 2, so looks like I'm rerolling! And no I don't have Death's Web :( That's what I'm running pit for!
  4. NagisaFurukawa

NagisaFurukawa IncGamers Member

They do "matter", but it's fine as long as you're okay with occasional deaths. I think my poisonmancer keeled over ~20 times in 3000+ runs in some really old MFO. That was with -50 resist on average or something.

I've long since forgotten an appropriate average number of bosses (summon: Fabian/frozzzen/etc.), but finding a decent map with the potential for 4 bosses in Pit 2 is a good starting point.

Have you considered a barbarian? :badteeth: It costs almost nothing to make a decent one, and it'll blow any other character out of the water. The gameplay is easy/forgiving as well, though fatigue sets in pretty fast if you're trying to be as fast as possible. It's not the most fun character either, at least not for most people.
  5. Dazliare

I'd like both, but I'm still looking for runes etc, so I figured I would use a character with excellent aoe
  6. Fabian

Fabian IncGamers Member

"but finding a decent map with the potential for 4 bosses in Pit 2 is a good starting point."

This is right. That said, I'm pretty much certain there is not a Pit map in the history of the world with an average of more than 3 bosses in level 2. Having a map where 3 bosses spawn "a lot of the time" and 4 bosses spawn "kinda occasionally" is really sweet though, if you can get them. Of course, a nice level 1 situation with only a "decent" level 2 situation can be good too, so don't let level 2 be a complete dealbreaker.

I would also suggest Spirit over Homunculus, but I'd definitely test them both out and see which you like. FCR doesn't seem to be a huge priority when you have the luxury of using Heart of the Oak, so you can probably get to 75% with Homunculus if you want to (another FCR ring or an FCR Amulet of some sort). If you go with Spirit, I might consider trying to add another 20% FCR (from a crafted amulet or from some FCR amulet + an FCR ring; alternatively, a 20% Circlet can be pretty sweet too if you can find something good) to get to 125, which I'm a fan of. Then again I hate slow moving characters, so maybe I'm biased.

A nicely rolled Darkforce Spawn is also an option, shield-wise, and is what I've been using for the last few years with my poison necro. Something to consider if you have one available. Spirit is good though, for sure.
  7. Dazliare

Don't have a darkforce anymore, so maybe I'll just have one drop. I'll give spirit a shot and see what happens though. I also really appreciate the advice on finding a map. It's the same deal with AT - I never know really what to look for, and get jealous of the maps I see in gameplay videos. I kinda wish I'd kept my first map. I was way faster with it, and had a good pit 2, so hopefully I can find that again.
  8. frozzzen

frozzzen IncGamers Member

I must wonder, how did you manage to squeeze DFS in 125 fcr setup Fabian? Doesn't lack of 55 fhr from Spirit hurt you too much?

If you don't have DWeb, I'd probably aim for cheap 125 fcr setup. You would loose very little MF by transitioning from your current setup in 125 fcr. Hoto and Spirit are already giving 75. Add Arach and TO gloves for 40 more and you need to cover only 10 fcr. Be it 2nec/10fcr ammy, or 10fcr/MF ring, you already have one extra +1 skill from Arach so you wouldn't loose any fire power by swapping out SoJ, or you wouldn't loose any real MF for swapping out Nagel cause you have one extra skill, and can easily take out one pnb skiller for 3 x 7MF small charms.

I'd also make Iron Golem out of insight if you have Infinity for merc. If not, I'd still make IG out of anything just so you don't have to recast it each run. There are decent merc sticks that you can use if you decide to go for Insight IG route, something I'd definitively recommend. Obviously, DWeb would change loads of thing but this seems decent setup to me.

As for maps, good luck. There isn't much you can do here except rolling it and praying for good stuff.
  9. Fabian

Fabian IncGamers Member

frozzzen,

dweb
    enigma
    3/20 circlet
    2/20 amulet
    dforce
    arachnid's
    trang's
    fcr ring
    fcr ring
    war traveler

Now when I opened up the character to take a look, I see that his recent equipment is actually Spirit and beta BKWB though. Oh well.
  10. Dazliare

Frozz, thanks for the advice! I have a great fcr/mf ring, so maybe I'll try that with arachs and see what happens. I tried spirit last night, and my runs are significantly faster. Thanks for that pointer!