Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates

Looking to build a monk who can do MP5 or so

Discussion in 'Monk' started by jeremyrx, Apr 10, 2013. | Replies: 9 | Views: 7764

1. jeremyrx

jeremyrx IncGamers Member

I've been playing a barb since launch and have amassed decent gear for him under a couple of different playstyles (hammer and whirlwind) but have grown bored and want to try something new. I'd prefer not to have to sell all of his gear but I will be using the sale of some pieces to make these purchases. I've not played my monk in a long time - actually it was last summer when I was working on getting every class to 60 - so I have no idea what the gear market is like for these guys.

I am not trying to build an elite monk, just something that can do farming runs on MP5 or so and be efficient and different. You guys have any idea how much something like that would cost me? Also any ideas on what my stats should be in order to do MP5 with "relative" ease? Everything I've looked at seems to indicate that a sweeping wind build that focuses on attack speed, crit chance and damage, and either loh or life steal depending on how much damage you do (btw what is the break point for monks when life steal is better?).

Any other tips or information you guys think would be appropriate would also be appreciated, thanks in advance!
  2. Genocides

Genocides IncGamers Site Pal

you'd probably want 500-550 of all resists, 35-40k life, 4.5kish armor, 80-90k dmg, 3 LL/1000LoH or so till higher dmg, 30 crit, 200 crit damage, get innas belt/pants maybe with a one with everything resist or vitality (decent amount), Innas helm with spirit regen one with everything resist, Wam Kim Lau fist with decent lightning dmg, good rare with leech dex socket etc whatever to fill stats,
    Fist of Thunder Thunderclap, Sweeping Winds- Cylcone, Mantra of Conviction Overawe, Breath of Heaven Blazing Wrath, Serenity- Ascension, Seven Sided Strike- Fulminating Onslaught. That's about as baseline as they come. Seize the Initiative, One With Everything, Chant of Resonance/Combination Strike/The Guardian's Path/ Fleet Footed/Resolve the first two and pick one for the last.

That's a decent starter. Just kinda threw this together so don't take my word as gold, but that may help some.
  3. jeremyrx

Awesome, thanks for the reply on what stats I should be shooting for. I guess when I get home I will hit up the AH and see what some of those pieces will run me and decide whether or not it's something that would be worth it for me.

Thanks again!

Also is it true with monks as well that roughly half your budget should be spent on your weapon(s)?
  4. Genocides

yeah on weapons oh and firewalkers are a good budget item for boots. especially if you use fire resist for your One with everything resist type.
  5. jeremyrx

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/JRF-1866/hero/2646507

So a quick update. I built the following monk over the weekend with a lot of help from a friend who decided to be generous with some old gear he was not using. I can face roll MP3 without even paying attention now and I can do MP5 if I am careful in how I engage the pack and don't get a particularly nasty affix combo. The main issue facing me at MP5+ is ranged attackers do a ton of damage to me before I can start to stunlock and leech off the group. Slower caster mobs are no problem for the speed at which the monk can cross the screen but the archers and spear throwing goatmen can really hurt especially if it is a larger group mixed in with Champions or Rare minions. Any ideas on the best way to combat those?

On the skill layout, I am still getting used to how this build works and it certainly encourages a fast playstyle and large groups of mobs. I found that I needed the additional mobility of dashing strike to handle the ranged attackers mentioned above. The best strategy I have come up with is to quickly get to the back of the pack to deal with the ranged attackers and then clean up the trash. What is the best strategy for handling these guys?

Lastly any tips on what piece(s) I should be working to upgrade next? I am still trying to get those godly shoulders crafted, but other than that what are your thoughts? Oh and how much are upgrades going to start costing me? Would it be cheaper to upgrade my gems first?
  6. Genocides

I don't want to be the voice of the monk community on this one, but I always considered gems as one of the late things you worry with upgrading. Maybe consider cyclone strike implosion between overawe 3 second refreshes or even using Fist of Thunder- Quickening for the huge spirit regen coupled with using Wave of Light- Empowered Wave for big damage. I really personally got to a point where defensive skills other than dashing strike were of less concern, but you can always consider fleet footed passive or Transcendance for life per spirit spent. A big ticket item I might consider for you would be a unity ring with attack speed(looks like you need more AS) or crit damage. I'm sure they go for a bunch. and a cheaper Vile Ward shoulder. Seems like you need armor for the ranged damage issue and that can be solved with more dex and more armor, both of which are accomplished with those type upgrades. My build setup is quit out there as far as what's normal so I'm not trying to mold you one way or another. My setup changes often on what I like using, but my dmg is closer to 200k (sheet dmg poorly reflects actual dmg) http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Duskmourn-1569/hero/1227391 I do Mp7(Act3)/Mp8(Act 1)

Also consider getting an Azurewrath (she can equip it trust me) with high freeze chance for your enchantress and a buncha Attack speed items with int/AR/Vit for her jewelry. Her damage is negligible of course. All that matters for her is that she stay alive and freeze stuff =) of course you get the armor buff and the attack speed buff.

Again I say this as I'm not professing myself as an expert get other opinions too:
    http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7415793376

Last edited: Apr 16, 2013
  7. sweetalmonds

sweetalmonds IncGamers Member

i would use fleet footed instead of the guardian's path. dodge doesn't work vs plague or molten or desecration which are the most dangerous mods. also i find thunderclap enough mobility vs ranged you can use breath of heaven/blazing wrath for a heal and dps. gear looks good, any upgrade would be like the things you have, but more stats. if you have enough money then a crit mempo should replace inna's helm. the 3 piece bonus of .33 spirit regeneration is not that good. only upgrade gems in weapon if you have the money, upgrading gem in other slots don't add a whole lot. and lastly if possible try to get a decent hellfire ring it will help a lot with paragon levels.
  8. jeremyrx

So my previous complaint about getting hurt by ranged attackers was really just me being new and crappy at playing a Monk. All I am doing now is shooting to the back of the pack (where the ranged bastards are) and either popping Blinding Flash or Serenity and everyone is dead before I can take much damage.

Thanks for the tip on gems, pretty sure I have a lot I can upgrade before I get to that point. How many attacks/second should I be aiming for? Both my MH and OH are at 2.04 right now. Based on a quick search a Unity that increases AS and doesn't drop my eHP or DPS costs many 10s of millions so I think that is out of my price range at this time. Interesting idea for the Enchantress, I will have to try that one out. And thanks for the link to the battle.net page I seemed to have hit just about all the benchmarks for a budget monk and surpassed quite a few. Probably means that I will just have to get better at playing my monk! :p

I already have 24%MS and feel like I can move pretty quick. Is the additional MS to try and reduce losing SW stacks as you travel between packs? I did change it to Resolve as you made good points about the primary threats being ground effects and then taking damage from packs on top of that. Early results appear positive!
  9. sweetalmonds

sweetalmonds IncGamers Member

meh fleet footed was pretty decent in 1.0.7 but in this patch the mobs in a1 are actually so close to eachother and in huge clumps you're better off taking a dps skill. i've been using speed palm( <--reeeaaally awesome for mp10) and using chant of resolute so i can still spam moc/overawe while expoding palming everything. if you are not using OWE passive(or not using spirit spender) then maybe combination strike with wothf/blazing fist. NDE is also good option with palm build because if you explode a elite with reflect damage mobs nearby you will kill yourself by doing it lol. its pretty funny i've done it many times.
  10. jeremyrx

Just a quick update as I feel like I accomplished and surpassed my original goal. This is my current gear: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/JRF-1866/hero/2646507

If you guys don't use D3up, I highly recommend it. I was able to test out what different gear sets would do to my survivability and damage and use that information to make really good decisions on the AH. Here is my current profile: http://d3up.com/b/518181/jubal

With this gear and build I can run MP7 solo confidently and MP8 pretty efficiently. MP9 or 10 I can handle as long as I don't mind spending forever wailing on elites. My focus is now on trying to upgrade my DPS without losing my eHP stats (trying to roll trifecta crafted gloves, a double res roll on bracers to switch out my Inna's hat for one with SW or FoT damage or to upgrade one of my rings to pure DPS, and a shoulder craft similar to what I have but with an extra Dex roll.)