Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Looking for some gearing suggestions

Discussion in 'Demon Hunter' started by Aconite, Dec 27, 2012. | Replies: 8 | Views: 2879

1. Aconite

Aconite IncGamers Member

Hi,

I've had an on/off relationship with my Demon Hunter, parking her for weeks/months and then coming back to her. She was the first character I played at launch. I've got to the point where I now want to get a little more serious about gearing her up for some farming (at the moment I'm farming keys with my Barb, but inefficiently as I'm also working on xp and items on the same runs).

Looking at the AH, the D3 item info site, and other people's builds, I'm a little confused on what I should focus on first. I don't want to blow all of my gold on a few upgrades and leave myself short in other areas.

I realise that she has terrible crit chance at the moment. One thing I was considering was a Calamity for improving that. I was also considering Nat's (either 2, 3 or 4 bits for the added disc - I have a low-end cloak stashed already).

So, I have around 40 million gold to spend on this. Given my current setup (and the fact that I have no socket in my weapon!), what would you suggest I spend it on? I suspect pretty much all of her gear needs upgrading at this stage...

Thanks in advance for your time!

Cheers!
  2. MonTy

MonTy <a href="payments.php">IncGamers Site Pal</a><br>D

Hey Aconite,

I also just started to take my DH a bit more serious, in the past two weeks I took her from 15k dps to 150k+ dps. I was on a low budget (5m) but found some decent items and started to get into refreshing newly listed legendary items to buy low and resell.

I'll admit when looking at your gear I feel like if I take out a piece or two it throws things off. Might get more DPS but too much life loss. I'd recommend scouting for a few items and purchase them together so you balance out all your needed stats. You can certainly do this with 40m.

I'd start with these items: Inna's Favor (Belt) and Inna's Temperence (Pants) with decent dex rolls. Those two combined will give you an extra 130 dex on top of already good DPS they provide. The problem is Vit on those are expensive, so have to make it up elsewhere. I'd recommend getting a strongarm bracer with decent vit and life%, they are surprisingly cheap.

As nice as that Nat set bonus is, I feel like you need more DPS and not more Discipline. Andariel's Visage Helm is an amazing DPS boost for such a cheap item. Just be sure to get one with a low fire damage roll. As for your weapon, I honestly have no idea how a windforce holds up to a Manticore, but once you start getting some crit% and get a manticore with 90+ crit damage and socket, your DPS will really jump.

The above upgrades are certainly doable for around 25-30m and should provide a huge dps boost. After that try to focus on nabbing good crit% gear (amulet, gloves, rings). Once you get those you should be in full on farming mode. For end game gear I find it always best to see what the top DPS are doing, so you can check them out on this site: http://www.diabloprogress.com/rating.stat_dps_unbuffed/class.demon_hunter

Here's my DH if you'd like to check it out: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/MonTy-1150/hero/28479651 - I'm desperate for +Pickup Radius gear, but it's dumb expensive combined with the other stats you need. My next upgrade is a two socket Manticore, Witching Hour, Mempo with Crit, and higher dps jewelry.

Cheers, hope you have fun building up your DH. I certainly did!
  3. Aconite

Aconite IncGamers Member

Hi MonTy,

Thanks for your detailed reply.

I did start messing around with gear yesterday, and have bought a few bits and pieces (the only expensive part was the Vile Ward with +Pickup). You were 100% right about the vitality/life issue though - my dps has gone up, but I'm very fragile at the moment...

I like your idea of the Strongarms, plus the two pieces of Inna's. I will look into those this evening. I'll also look at getting hold of an Andariels to try out instead of the Nat's helm. My Nat's chest really could do with being upgraded too... I'd like +disc on either that or a new DML.

I have been avoiding using a crossbow (too much bowazon in D2 means I have a preference for bows), but I suspect I'll need to bite the bullet and get a Manticore. It seems very popular at the high end (cheers for the link to diabloprogress, btw). As far as that goes, would it be better to go for 2os with ~1000dps, or aim for higher dps over a second socket first?

Then it'll just be gloves, ring, amulet to get more crit chance mainly ;-)

I'm definitely enjoying the process of building my DH up at the moment. My Hota Barb alternates between doing mp0 runs using sprint, and mp4 key runs where I swap back bash and a defensive passive. Once I got him into a state where I was happy with his performance, I moved back to thinking about gearing my DH. My longer term plan here is to have the barb run higher mp for keys, and have the demon hunter do lower mp runs for items/gold. I've still to work out who will be taking on the ubers for hellfire parts at this stage, but that's a plan for another day.
  4. Kalixian

Kalixian IncGamers Member

If your goal is to MF farm on the DH, then the above poster is pretty much spot on. You barely need any defensive stats for farming MP0.

Andariel's helm (crit Mempo is BiS but absurd expensive)
    Inna Pants & Chest
    Nat's Boots & Ring
    Manticore with 2 sockets
    Dead man's legacy (can get 20ias 10 crit for 2M)
    Dex/crit/IAS ammy and gloves

40M is plenty to cover all of this if you're skimping on defensive stats to farm MP0.

From there look for witching hour, and then start filtering in better defensive stats where possible.
  5. MonTy

Kaxlixian has a great point that if you plan to use this DH to farm lower MP while you use your Barb for higher MP, just go for damage stats and items listed in his post. You'll kill stuff before they get a chance to kill you.

I personally prefer having a balance of stats to try and move up the tiers of MP and not get instagibbed. While the Inna's Chest is nice, I can't get away from the +Disc roll from Nat's chest.

And not to derail your thread, but I enjoyed gearing up the DH so much that I'm going to try her for Hardcore. Don't expect I'll last long, but HC is a nice change of pace from endless (and at some times mindless) softcore runs.

Anyhow, let us know how you do and what you upgrade. Cheers!
  6. Aconite

Aconite IncGamers Member

Hi all,

Well, I've geared her up and earned a couple of paragon levels last night, netting myself a Bul-Kathos Solemn Vow with 200 str, 950 dps and an open socket, plus a rubbish wizards hat legendary. Not too bad for 90 minutes of running. She steamrollers through MP0, and MP1 isn't noticeably different (other than a couple of the elite packs taking a little longer to die). Now I just need to level up a bit...

I still need to finish upgrading her gems (I'm doing that as they drop) and the DML and Nat's chest need replacing with better versions, but all-in-all I'm pretty happy with her performance at this stage. I've been doing modified Alkaizer's (adding the follow-on tower level after Arreat 2, and then doing Stonefort at the end) and taking out the keywarden just for the off-chance of a key (none yet). The runs are smooth, and I'm using tumble to speed up moving across the map, but I haven't timed them yet.

My stats are a little more balanced, as I'm not sure what I'll end up doing with her in the future, so having some flexibility on gear is a good thing in my opinion.

Even the mediocre dps Manticore that I bought is way, way better than the 1250dps Windforce I was using. That upgrade alone boosted my damage by a huge amount.

@Kalixian, thanks for the suggestions - once I get a better DML and Nat's chest to give me some disc, I'll probably look at replacing the helm with an Andy's (or even a Mempo depending on how lucky I am with drops over the next couple of weeks).

@MonTy, good luck with your HC adventures. I tried that a few times during my D2 days, but the loss of gear and characters drove me nuts, so I'll probably end up sticking with SC for now.
  7. MonTy

Yea the upgrades are looking good, glad to hear of the progression. After your helm and chest upgrade (I'd go with +disc as you're used to having more disc with the four piece nat bonus), I recommend saving up and focusing on huge upgrades. Keep your eye out for a Dead Man's Legacy with 300~ dex, 18~ AS, and +Elemental Arrow damage.

That should keep you busy for a while :) Happy hunting
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2013
  8. Causa

Causa IncGamers Member

I want to thank all who have participated in this thread. I just got my DH to 60 and I enjoy multishotting trash quite a lot. Was mostly MS-Ama on D2 so feels familiar and cosy.

Lots of good information here so cheers and peace :)
    Ps. Not going to ask for help yet since I'm so far behind in gear that I need to make some upgrades to see where the problems start.
    Regardless, the Hunter of demons: http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Causa-2745/hero/3443902
    (WF was cheap purchase after hitting 60 since I was using lvl43 1h axe + shield for easy leveling, trying to look for Manticore)

-Causa
  9. Causa

Causa IncGamers Member

Okay now I'm at the point where I have few questions and would like to make wise purchases.
    My current amulet with dmg/high dex/CHD is definitely one piece that needs to be upgraded. I'm not quite sure about one thing.
    While I could get lots of dps on paper by getting a lot of attack speed, I know that crit chance is more important. Attack speed don't hurt but should I consider it at all when choosing new upgrades?

Am I on a right path with using SoJ so that elites go down faster since I'm only running MP0 act3? Other ring is also bad but I tried to get some extra MF since it's lagging too far behind.

ATM I can facetank almost any elitepack on act3 mp0 with Gloom so no kitind is really needed. Ball Lightning has been working great so far and when I see elitepack I usually drop one sentry to make it go down faster and more steady if I need to Vault around a bit to move from fire/arcane/plagued.

Would really appreciate if some of you could give some judgement on my char (gear/build). Now I'm sitting around 40M and don't want to waste quarter of it on a bad equipment that is not really boosting my performance. I didn't see it coming but for some reason my DH became my main character.

One more question, is Ball Lightning so good skill in the end that I should also consider to have a elemental arrow bonus Dead Mans Legacy? I'm checking AH daily to upgrade my offhand and get more dex from there.
    Also I'm also interested about this:
    Thank you guys for any reply on the matter :thumbsup:
    -Causa