Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Looking for some advice (boss farming in NM)

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by pehtoori, Oct 31, 2013. | Replies: 9 | Views: 2388

1. pehtoori

pehtoori IncGamers Member

I completed NM Act 5 with my un-twinked Meteorb Sorceress and took a shot at Hell. Was merrily Teleporting my way to Den of Evil and died to first hit from a Zombie. I figured, maybe I could do some farming a bit now to get gear for my Sorc and other characters. The thing is, I have the 2 re-specs available, and 3rd coming up in Hell. I think I'd like to re-spec now to something really specific to killing NM Mephisto and maybe Baal. What kind of build would be the fastest? Meteorb is quite decent, but I really would like to farm bosses now as efficiently as possible to get nice gear and re-spec back to Meteorb in Hell. I'm currently level 67, with a holy freeze from Act 2.

My magic find is awfully low, what could I do to fix that? Any good runewords to consider? Just use Pdiamonds to socket stuff while keeping resistances high? I'm really bad at gear choosing, and I'm kinda amazed I even made it through NM. :) Thanks in advance for any guidance!
  2. NoisemakerArrow

NoisemakerArrow IncGamers Member

3. pehtoori

Nice, didn't know such enormous guides existed! That's a bit more information than I was looking for, but I'm sure I'll find the relevant parts. :) Thanks!
  4. Black Lotus

Black Lotus IncGamers Member

I believe pure frozen orb sorc clears EVERYTHING in nightmare with no +skills gear at good speed. It is also not very fcr-dependant (fixed casting delay), so you can load it with mf stuff and still be safe, fast and good mfer.
  5. pehtoori

Might as well bump this instead of creating a new thread. I now have completed Hell, only notable gear I have is Dual Spirits and a Skin of the Vipermagi. I've been doing MF runs every now and then, but haven't had any real success (my MF is 0 anyways with the current gear). Baal runs aren't very much fun to me honestly, so I rerolled maps (I play SP) until I stumbled upon this really good map:
    [​IMG]

Even the Council is located well so I can easily use the Moat trick. I can't really tank Hell Mephisto even with my "best" gear, so I pretty much have to use the Moat trick.

Now I have two questions: How much should I try to boost my MF? I read the guides which NoiseMakerArrow kindly posted, and I kinda guess the answer is, as much as you can without slowing yourself too much. It seems the easiest way to get MF is to get 4 socketed armor and 3 socketed headgear and just put 7 PTopazes to them. That would put me to 164% MF I think. Would it be wise to also get a Rhyme runeword instead of spirit for the extra MF? I do lose the +skills but I guess I can handle that. All my other gear (apart from the Spirits and Vipermagi) are pretty much just for resistances, so considering I'm using the moat trick I won't even need the resistances. Would it would be wise to replace everything I have atm to boost my MF, and if it's really slow, go back to at least one Spirit and maybe the Vipermagi?

Second, as I have this great map, I really don't want to leave until I get everything I want from Mephisto. The thing is, I don't know what I want from him. :nod: I think he can drop some good stuff, but what exactly are the items I "want" (as in, items generally considered to be good which Meph can drop)?

I hope someone can enlighten me on this situation :)
  6. NoisemakerArrow

When I was making new chars at the start of ladders I usually went with a Blizz sorc and did Hell Meph runs. As long as you have 63 FCR or more, you'll be safe enough, and that is achievable just from the Spirits, assuming the rolls aren't terrible. If they are, you can re-roll them. Adding Vipermagi and a ring, you could reach the 105 breakpoint, if absolutely necessary, but you don't have very far to go on that map. Pick up anything with MF you find. 7x24 = 140 + 28 = 168 MF. With some magic boots and gloves, you could reach 200 MF. More is better, but don't sacrifice safety and killing speed. The resistance you will need most when doing Meph is fire, due to the Council and Vampires. Meph should not be able to shoot you. An MF switch is a good idea, and Rhyme will help with that. Take Meph down almost fully with the power switch and then deliver the killing blow on the MF switch. Well, you don't have to cast the spell that kills him while on the MF switch; you just have to be on the MF switch when he dies, but it might be hard to switch in time sometimes.

You already have Vipermagi, so try to get Oculus, Harlequin, War Traveler, Chance Guards, Goldwrap.

A Tal's helm for the Merc would be great too.

Meph can drop from at most TC 78 I think, so you can look in the list of TCs to see what items are available from him.

http://diablo2.diablowiki.net/TC_1.10
  7. pehtoori

Oh, I didn't actually know you can have a switch like that, nice! Thanks for the tips, I'll go hunt for a Rhyme now and maybe gamble for some rare boots/gloves. It would be nice to have a sword or something with MF too on switch, don't know where to get one though. No runewords seems to give any magic find, other than Wealth. Appreciate your answer :) Now to hope Mephisto gives me the good stuff.
  8. NoisemakerArrow

Gull and Ali Baba are weapons with MF. I think the MF guides give lists of all items with MF.

You don't have to gamble for rares - just check the magic items available for sale at every vendor you visit.

Any runeword with Ist in it will give MF. Insight also has 23 MF.
  9. Rodrigo

Rodrigo IncGamers Member

I just started MFing a few weeks ago, using exactly like you said, 4 PT armor and 3 PT crown. I also used Rhyme and every piece of gear with MF I could find, always changing them if I found something with even just a bit more MF. My killing speed was bad, even in Nightmare, so I started hunting for the easiest MF gear on Normal. The only +skills coming from a Spirit sword. Awfuly poor, I know :rolf:. After I found some decent Nagelrings and Chanceguards, I moved to Nightmare Meph looking for Goldwrap, Blade of Ali-Baba, Skullder's Ire and War Travelers. When I had those, I went for Harlequin Crest with Hell Meph (sadly it dropped ethereal and is about to break now). I have on switch the same Spirit sword and a Splendor shield, for the extra skills, FCR and FHR, which I use to teleport around and do most damage, then switching to Alibaba-Rhyme for the final blow. With a couple of MF small charms my MF is about 550%, killing speed is good in Hell, and it didn't take too long to find this gear! It is up to you to chose whatever gear suits you better and as much MF as you want, but I think about 500% is very good, while still being safe, attainable and killing effective. And there is better MF gear out there, especially Tal Rasha's, but I think you could find the entire gear setup I mentioned before you find Tal's armor.

Make him drop till you drop! :rolf: With that map layout, your MFing won't get much better anywhere else. And since you're a MFer, why not just make a living there?

Here's the list of items Hell Meph can't drop. It is for version 1.10, don't know how much it has changed since then, but I'd think it is still accurate:

[TABLE="width: 458"]
    TC 81 Medusa's Gaze (qlvl 84) M'avina's Embrace (qlvl 21)
    Halaberd's Reign (qlvl 85) Ondal's Almighty (qlvl 55)
    Tomb Reaver (qlvl 86)
    Wraithflight (qlvl 84)
    Leviathan (qlvl 73)
    Veil of Steel (qlvl 77)
    Nightwing's Veil (qlvl 75)
    Boneflame (qlvl 80)
    Widowmaker (qlvl 73)
    Cranebeak (qlvl 71)
    Lacerator (qlvl 76)
    TC 84 Giantskull (qlvl 73) Trang-Oul's Guise (qlvl 32)
    Messerschmidt's Reaver (qlvl 75) Sazabi's Cobalt Redeemer (qlvl 34)
    Frostwind (qlvl 78) [S] Tal Rasha's Guardianship (qlvl 26)[/S]
    [TD][U] Gut Siphon (qlvl 79)[/U][/TD][U] [TD][S] Aldur's Deception (qlvl 29)[/S][/TD][S] [/s][/u][S]
    [TR]
    [TD][U] Fleshripper (qlvl 76)[/U][/TD][U]
    [TD][S] Trang-Oul's Girth (qlvl 32)[/S][/TD][S]
    [/s][/u][/TR][U][S]
    [TR]
    [TD][U] Schaefer's Hammer (qlvl 83)[/U][/TD][U]
    [TD][S] Taebaek's Glory (qlvl 55)[/S][/TD][S]
    [/s][/u][/TR][U][S]
    [TR]
    [TD][U] Stone Crusher (qlvl 76)[/U][/TD][U]
    [TD][/TD]
    [/u][/TR][U]
    [TR]
    [TD][U] Steel Carapace (qlvl 74)[/U][/TD][U]
    [TD][/TD]
    [/u][/TR][U]
    [TR]
    [TD][U] Ravenlore (qlvl 82)[/U][/TD][U]
    [TD][/TD]
    [/u][/TR][U]
    [TR]
    [TD][U] Spirit Ward (qlvl 76)[/U][/TD][U]
    [TD][/TD]
    [/u][/TR][U]
    [TR]
    [TD][U] Dragonscale (qlvl 84)[/U][/TD][U]
    [TD][/TD]
    [/u][/TR][U]
    [TR]
    [TD]TC 87[/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD][U] Mang Song's Lesson (qlvl 86)[/U][/TD][U]
    [TD][S] Griswold's Redemption (qlvl 44)[/S][/TD][S]
    [/s][/u][/TR][U][S]
    [TR]
    [TD][U] Deathcleaver (qlvl 78)[/U][/TD][U]
    [TD][S] Bul-Kathos' Sacred Charge (qlvl 50)[/S][/TD][S]
    [/s][/u][/TR][U][S]
    [TR]
    [TD][U] Darkforge Spawn (qlvl 72)[/U][/TD][U]
    [TD][S] Griswold's Valor (qlvl 44)[/S][/TD][S]
    [/s][/u][/TR][U][S]
    [TR]
    [TD][U] Astreon's Iron Ward (qlvl 68)[/U][/TD][U]
    [TD][S] M'avina's True Sight (qlvl 21)[/S][/TD][S]
    [/s][/u][/TR][U][S]
    [TR]
    [TD][U] The Grandfather (qlvl 85)[/U][/TD][U]
    [TD][S] Bul-Kathos' Tribal Guardian (qlvl 50)[/S][/TD][S]
    [/s][/u][/TR][U][S]
    [TR]
    [TD][U] Crown of Ages (qlvl 86)[/U][/TD][U]
    [TD][S] Immortal King's Soul Cage (qlvl 37)[/S][/TD][S]
    [/s][/u][/TR][U][S]
    [TR]
    [TD][U] Griffon's Eye (qlvl 84)[/U][/TD][U]
    [TD][S] Natalya's Mark (qlvl 22)[/S][/TD][S]
    [/s][/u][/TR][U][S]
    [TR]
    [TD][U] Death's Fathom (qlvl 81)[/U][/TD][U]
    [TD][S] Griswold's Honor (qlvl 44)[/S][/TD][S]
    [/s][/u][/TR][U][S]
    [TR]
    [TD][U] Stormspire (qlvl 78)[/U][/TD][U]
    [TD][/TD]
    [/u][/TR][U]
    [TR]
    [TD][U] Executioner's Justice (qlvl 83)[/U][/TD][U]
    [TD][/TD]
    [/u][/TR][U]
    [TR]
    [TD][U] Windforce (qlvl 80)[/U][/TD][U]
    [TD][/TD]
    [/u][/TR][U]
    [TR]
    [TD][U] Ghostflame (qlvl 70)[/U][/TD][U]
    [TD][/TD]
    [/u][/TR][U]
    [TR]
    [TD][U] Shadowdancer (qlvl 79)[/U][/TD][U]
    [TD][/TD]
    [/u][/TR][U]
    [TR]
    [TD][U] Steelrend (qlvl 78)[/U][/TD][U]
    [TD][/TD]
    [/u][/TR][U]
    [TR]
    [TD][U] Tyrael's Might (qlvl 87)[/U][/TD][U]
    [TD][/TD]
    [/u][/TR][U]
    [TR]
    [TD][U] Templar's Might (qlvl 82)[/U][/TD][U]
    [TD][/TD]
    [/u][/TR][U]
    [TR]
    [TD][U] The Cranium Basher (qlvl 85)[/U][/TD][U]
    [TD][/TD]
    [/u][/TR][U]
    [TR]
    [TD][U] Earthshifter (qlvl 77)[/U][/TD][U]
    [TD][/TD]
    [/u][/TR][U]
    [TR]
    [TD][U] Death's Web (qlvl 74)[/U][/TD][U]
    [TD][/TD]
    [/u][/TR][U]
    [TR]
    [TD][U] Steel Pillar (qlvl 77)[/U][/TD][U]
    [TD][/TD]
    [/u][/TR][U]
    [TR]
    [TD][U] Gargoyle's Bite (qlvl 78)[/U][/TD][U]
    [TD][/TD]
    [/u][/TR][U]
    [/TABLE]

Hope it helps![/u][/u][/u][/u][/u][/u][/u][/u][/u][/u][/u][/u][/u][/s][/u][/s][/u][/s][/u][/s][/u][/s][/u][/s][/u][/s][/u][/s][/u][/u][/u][/u][/u][/u][/s][/u][/s][/u][/s]
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2013
  10. Holy Dude

Holy Dude IncGamers Member

Well, to simplify your response, it basically means no Elite items.