Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Looking for Help Making a Build

Discussion in 'Wizard' started by Valeli, Jan 1, 2013. | Replies: 3 | Views: 1397

1. Valeli

Valeli IncGamers Member

So I'm putzing around on a new HC character, and for this build I have just a few really simple requirements.

1) It needs wave of force (undecided on rune).
    2) It needs spectral blades (probably healing or siphoning for rune).

3) It needs some sort of escape/diversion. I'm thinking probably teleport, but would be open to mirror images or something if people think that's clever.

Beyond that....
    4) It doesn't need, but would probably benefit from some way of tagging enemies at a distance.
    5) It doesn't need, but would probably benefit from diamond skin and/or one of the armors.
    6) It probably needs blur as a passive... but I'm open to other ideas if anyone has one.

I'm having trouble putting it together. And I'm having trouble figuring out what passives I want too. I'm not looking for a top tier damage output or anything, just a build that (can potentially) not die, and can output enough damage to clear the game and paragon level without making me want to pull my teeth out.

Advice?
  2. Speedster

Speedster IncGamers Member

Well, I'm not playing HC, so take this in context, but...

I'll suggest trying the build I've been using of late: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Greer-1174/hero/7524424. Previously I did blizz/hydra and then CM/wicked winds. Of the three, I'm enjoying this one the most. I think ranged builds are next to useless in D3 because the monsters swarm so fast that you're always going to end up toe-to-toe with elite packs, so the CM/melee wizard variants feel the best to me.

Not sure about wave of force, but I like spectral blades in the post 1.0.5 game and have been using the healing rune. You can find gear with bonus damage to this ability without paying much or any premium.

For escape, I still like teleport/wormhole. I can't imagine having any kind of survivability against wallers or bad elite pack encounters in awkward spaces. A big part of D3 (at least as a wizard) is engaging certain types of monsters in the right location, and teleport can help you do that.

On #4, I think "tagging enemies at a distance" is essential to a balanced build. I like meteor in the post 1.0.5 world, specifically the comet rune which does decent damage and also slows everything beautifully. Meteor was too slow to be any good in earlier patches, but with the delay cut to 1 second I find it (a) very cool and (b) very useful.

I still use diamond skin. The extra 21K life buffer has saved me many times against Ghom and reflect packs. Still indispensible, IMHO.

The rest of my current build is around cold -- frost nova, comet, cold blooded as a passive. The combination of these (20% damage bonus from cold blooded passive) is pretty potent when you get the timing right.
  3. Valeli

Valeli IncGamers Member

I was thinking something sort of along those lines to, but I'm really not sure which ability I'd scrap for Wave of Force. If I scrap frost nova, then the entire cold mastery/cold focus suddenly becomes much less useful, so the whole thing ends up kind of scrapped. I could scrap one of the two armors, but I think they're really quite helpful if you're going to end up close to stuff...

If I scrap meteor (in your example) then I'm cut down to only one offensive ability in spectral blades, and loose a lot of versatility. Not to mention that it's not the most super-damaging ability out there. ... well, that's not entirely true, since wave of force itself does some damage. But it's on a 9-12 second recast timer so you can hardly spam it.

I guess the three main ideas for what to cut would be frost nova (but then everything would change), meteor, or one of the armors. Since everything else seems quite essential. Any idea which of those three you'd cut? Or would you take a different path altogether?

I've also given some thought to replacing an armor with slow time and the +20% damage rune. That would give both defense and offense, and it has a shiny animation. Thoughts?
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2013
  4. Speedster

Speedster IncGamers Member

I haven't played much with the slow time skill though I may try it. I think the build as I have it is pretty tight in terms of swapping skills -- i.e., everything has a purpose. It's hard to be a melee wizard without freezing everything.

I've tried wave of force and didn't have much success with it, but that was a while back. The recast timer means that you're going to have to take critical mass and have a lot of crit chance to get much damage out of it. I don't count on frost nova for damage -- usually it's just the opening salvo to lock everything down and get into position for blades.

You could experiment a bit in softcore before going the HC route.