Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates

Looking for a hierarchy/relations tool.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by ElSmisko, Jan 22, 2013. | Replies: 5 | Views: 376

1. ElSmisko

ElSmisko IncGamers Member

Hey all!

I am looking for some sort of tool where you write a hierarchy/relation between different datavalues that is then presented graphically.

Kind of what I am looking for can be found in the "Organizational chart" that is found in Google Docs but I feel that it is lacking in some regards. For example, a child node can only have one parent and you can not make circle referenses where A leads to B that leads to C that leads to A.

I know I could do this in a Google Docs Draw-document, but that is way too time consuming for my needs. I am trying to avoid having to do all to much point-and-click and would rather just write what I want to appear and have the computer take care of the grunt work if that is possible.

Med vänliga hälsningar
    /ElSmisko
  2. BobCox2

BobCox2 IncGamers Member

Sounds like Microsoft Visio

would do it.

Flowcharting really.

I do IVRs with it.

You still need to know what you want and how to make it work though.

You might want something more like this?
    http://www.orgspan.com/
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2013
  3. ElSmisko

Yes, flowcharting is exactly what I am after, but the softwares I have tried had a lot of point-and-click which felt like working against rather then working with the computer.

Microsoft Visio sounds like what I am after. I have never tried it but I have access to it through work so I will try it out during the day before I buy.

Many thanks for pointing me in the right direction!
  4. BobCox2

BobCox2 IncGamers Member

Look for templates for the type of thing you are doing - I also use if for network diagrams with another template.
  5. ElSmisko

Hmm, I seem to be having some problems. Perhaps you could be of further assistance?
    I started out with a simple flowchart, but I find no way to "generate" shapes and relations based on external data, just update allready existing shade with data.

I would like to be able to specify a bunch of objects and their relations and have them generated.
    But as it is now I seem to only be able to match against pre-existing shapes with the right names.
    Am I approaching this the wrong way?

Edit: Never mind, I think I figured it out.
  6. ElSmisko

No, actually I did not. I guess I am a tad stupid. :sadface:

I can not seem to get the shapes to generate from the data, just "sync" the data to pre-existing shapes.