Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates

Lodge your interest/Submit your suggestions - D3 SPF MFO 2012 Discussion

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 Community Forum' started by Joosh, Nov 4, 2012. | Replies: 146 | Views: 3832

1. Joosh

Joosh IncGamers Member

Hey Guys,

Many of you would have participated in MFO's held in the D2 SPF forums, and more of you would be aware of what they are.

For those who aren't aware, the MFO (Magic Find Olympics) has always been an excuse to run harder & faster than you probably should, for a longer period of time than is probably healthy, MFO is just a title we give to justify doing it.

That said, it's awesome fun, and I'm sure many of you would be interested in something like this being held in the D3 environment.

In Diablo 2, we had treasure classes which defined rarity and value, from this points were assigned.

In Diablo 3, we have item levels but there really isn't too much information on how loot rarity works beyond item drops rolling against each item tier of item quality on drop.

If there is enough interest I would definitely like (and be happy) to host an MFO for our new Diablo 3 forumites, however I ask of you suggestions on how we can determine a points based system for drops.

I.E.

-Do we only value by i63/i62/i61
    -Do we value sets higher than legendaries, given that there are ultimately less of them?
    -Do we give higher point values to class specific legendaries/sets
    -Is Jewellery considered more valuable?

If anyone has more information on how the drop rates and rarity values work in D3, please provide suggestions on how we can base points for the MFO (should there be enough interest).

With that said, I will leave this in the hands of the forums for discussion and check in regularly.

Thy, if there's any issues with what I've posted here please let me know, though considering it's all handed within an online environment, I imagine it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Joosh :thumbup:
  2. kestegs

kestegs D3 Monk Moderator

Sounds like a great idea! With the new so rates of 1.0.5 I think it should work pretty well.

It's too bad we don't have drop odds on stuff though. I'll try to do some checking around and see if anything is out there.

My initial thoughts:

Sets are worth the most.
    Class specific items shouldn't really be worth more.
    Jewelry maybe worth more, the drop odds of them do seem to be less.
  3. Joosh

Joosh IncGamers Member

Totally agree Kestegs, and yeah with 1.0.5 it seems reasonable to put the challenge up!

I agree with your comments regarding points, hopefully you're able to dig up some further details but until then perhaps we could work with something along the lines of;

Set Items iLvl 63 = 6 Points
    Set Items iLvl 62 = 5 Points
    Set Items iLvl 61 = 4 Points
    Set Items iLvl 60 = 3 Points
    Set Items iLvl 50-59 = 2 Points

Legendary Items iLvl 63 = 5 Points
    Legendary Items iLvl 62 = 4 Points
    Legendary Items iLvl 61 = 3 Points
    Legendary Items iLvl 60 = 2 Points
    Legendary Items iLvl 50-59 = 1 Point

Set/Legendary Jewellery iLvl 60+ = 5 Points
    Set/Legendary Jewellery iLvl 50-59 = 3 Points

Blacksmith Crafting Plans 6 Stats = 3 Points
    Blacksmith Crafting Plans 5 Stats = 2 Points
    Blacksmith Crafting Plans 4 Stats = 1 Point

All Jeweller Crafting Plans = 2 Points

This seems reasonable, however I have concerns with the values potentially being too easy to achieve.

I.e. with everyone choosing a top 5, we run the risk of everyone achieving the max points.

Perhaps we need to review items by effectiveness, i.e. Tal Rasha's Amulet would be worth more than Duncraig's Cross/Traveler's Pledge.

Again, all and any thoughts & suggestions on how we base the points system will be considered.

4. Jcakes

Jcakes IncGamers Site Pal

We could always do it that people present their top 5 at the end of the run and people vote on the winner (only competitors vote and they can't vote for themselves)? The only problem with that approach is people might bot be willing to trade items based on vote ....
  5. kestegs

I think that's a good start, but I'd be surprised if I couldn't pull out 5 ilvl 63 Legendaries in 7-10 days.

I've looked around a lot but haven't found anything useful on drop odds yet.

I think the voting thing isn't a terrible idea, maybe some sort of hybrid system would work.
  6. BaronScarpia

BaronScarpia IncGamers Member

My main issue with this game is the lack of (visible) info on the drop system rates. Something like - pack 300 MF, go to the normal oasis with 5 stacks and kill stuff there until a leoric signet shows up.

If possible, I believe we should start a pool about the number of people actually willing to participate on a MFO.

Story of my life:

I managed to accomplish a lot in this game, being a quitter/casual/drunk gamer, except putting together a MFing char. Also, I'm drowned in trash I need to sell on GAH/vendor - for some stupid reason, I kept the pricey sellable stuff on a mule and still have stuff rotting in the stashes that I should have vendored, just because they don't worth their spot on the 10 auctions list. Problem is: there're stuff I won by bidding on the last minute for nothing, but can sell fast if I underprice them on AH. My list of priorities are:

- hit lvl 20 with WD on HC for the banner thing and park her for a while (doable later today)
    - clear the mules/stashes
    - earn the DH achievements (the other classes have 100% earned)
    - Use my WD to clear act 1 and 2 under 1 hour
    - Get around 60kk gold or more - this takes around 6 weeks playing GAH, by my calculations.
    - Decide if my main class will be Barbarian or WD.
    - Get paragon levels/MF/Hellfire ring

That means I won't have a character ready for a MFO... this year... At least not a competitive one, but

I would participate on MFO just for the fun, since when I used to do MF runs on 1.0.4 I remember finding a couple brimstones... I mean, legendaries... I don't think I have a chance, but since my blizzard/hydra wizard finished inferno, now I'm a believer...

Problem, imo, is that it seems to have a good number of people on SPF with parallel goals (beat the game self found, kill 100k demons with a DH before selling his gear, rolling a barb after nerf, achievement hunters, etc.). I don't know if we'll have a crowd for a MFO yet.
  7. Joosh

Joosh IncGamers Member

Mmm well this was a lodge your interest thread, it certainly doesn't have to occur soon but it would good to gather interest and determine how many people would actually participate, and as mentioned with the loot system it's a lot harder to determine the value of an item in points, so we may be here a while just trying to figure that part out! :D

8. SincereX13

SincereX13 IncGamers Member

I would be interested, and I think the points system for now might be the best bet. Sets seem a lot more rare to me so I would say they need to carry a lot more weight than uniques.
  9. kestegs

10. Jcakes

Awesome work kegs. I'll check it a bit later :p
  11. Crunchy II

Crunchy II IncGamers Member

@kestegs: You have a required level 62 in there at the top :D.
  12. kestegs

I have a level 62, what's your problem? :whistling:

Realized I missed a couple of the A's as well, I was formatting it a bit different to start with and I must have mixed it up somehow. Thanks.
  13. Joosh

Joosh IncGamers Member

Great work kestegs!

I was thinking of another system on how we could base the points, in D2 the points were taken from comparing rarity to a base reference point (in this case, IK Set Maul). Unfortunately we don't have the simplicity of that, however maybe we could spend some time doing a search on the gold auction house by cheapest available for each legendary and then dividing that by a pre-determined number (i.e. 1000).

This would allow us to assign points based on item value rather than rarity but considering there is no current rarity table and such available should be reasonable.

An example of what this would result in would be; *Please note the numbers below are example purposes only, I don't have access to current figures from work*

-Zunimassa's Pox - Set Ring iLvl 62 - Cheapest GAH Price $400,000* = (400,000/1000) = 400 Points
    -Strongarm Bracers - Legendary Bracers iLvl 62 - Cheapest GAH Price $25,000* = (25,000/1000) = 25 Points

Obviously this would take a little while and would never be truely accurate but would allow for some diversity in points.

Let me know your thoughts guys!

Joosh
  14. kestegs

I had actually considered a similar idea, and I think that's not bad. It probably doesn't actually reflect item rarity quite right, but value is still a good thing to base your item finding success off of.

I think it's the best idea we have yet. Would need to be done in one sitting as prices fluctuate. Shouldn't take too long though really.
  15. Crunchy II

Crunchy II IncGamers Member

You could add a requirement to actually sell the items you find and use that as the valuation. Prices can then be backed up by screenshots. The only problem is prices depend on region.
  16. Joosh

Joosh IncGamers Member

Whilst not a bad idea, I do not agree with selling my finds, as I have no use for the auction house and play completely self-found.

However, happy to leave this one open to the forums for opinions. I don't own nor make any claim to own the MFO, it's here for all of us to enjoy.

It would cause issues with winners picking items from other players in category though.

That said, given that some players will, like myself, play without auction house and some will, me may need a split or some players can just choose not to accept items.

Continue discussion! :D
  17. Jcakes

I'd rather not be forced to sell my items on the AH. It would be better to base the value of the items based on the minimum buyout for each legendary. I'd be interested to see what the results from that investigation come out as.
  18. kestegs

Yea, I don't like the legendary selling idea, doesn't really fit the spf mantra idea IMO.

I wasn't sure what we'd be doing about the taking of items. It'd be sad to have to give up an item that'd worth 300mil :p

There's also the issue of regions of course.
  19. Joosh

Joosh IncGamers Member

Regarding taking items, I don't see any issue with it.

However, I think it's worth including protection of one item.

As you've mentioned realms, it brings up another point for me which is how do we define which 'area' players are going to run, or do we base this off realm/core status as well.

i.e. We could have

Act 1 SC/HC
    Act 2 SC/HC
    Act 3 SC/HC
    Act 4 SC/HC

or we could have;

SC Europe
    HC Europe
    SC North America
    HC North America
    etc.

Thoughts?
  20. SnickerSnack

SnickerSnack IncGamers Member

Well, I never took part in an MFO, and I won't do it for D3 either since I just can't put in that kind of time, but.....

I think the problem you will find is that Legendaries/Sets in D3 have much, much greater variability than D2 Uniques/Sets. This will make voting much more challenging. There's a good chance that every single contestant will have 5 ilvl 63s, but there will be a wide range of mods. How will you rank them?

That's the biggest hurdle I see. Well, carry on.