Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates

Lightning sorc in Hell - It's hell indeed

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by Dagaz, Jan 9, 2013. | Replies: 17 | Views: 10980

1. Dagaz

Dagaz IncGamers Member

So, I've been playing Diablo 2 single player only since spring now and I've made a pretty good zeal paladin and WW barbarian (L90 and L86) with fury druid on the good way to end hell act V... I have some experience in playing bone necro etc. However I am having extreme difficulties playing lightning sorc.
    I know that there are n builds out there that do all the work for you, and yes, I've been experimenting a little, but still … I have no idea why y am having such difficulties on hell with my lightning sorc (L 86). I guess I'm missing something, but don't really know what.

Gear:
    Shako (I also have Griffon's Eye (+12/-19) but I find Shako much better)
    Skin of the Vipermagi (res24) (as backup for +all res I use Smoke)
    Lidless Wall (with P diamond)
    Magefist (upped)
    Tal's belt and amulet
    War Traveller
    2xSoJ
    The Oculus
    (+ one lightning GC; the only one I've made; I'm cursed with + Traps; today I've managed to made one for the third time in last month or so)

Stats:
    C. bolt, lightning, lightning mastery & blizzard maxed;
    static filed, telekinesis, teleport, cold armors, cold mastery, warmth - 1

Merc:
    act 2 defense (hell)
    Insight
    Duriel's Shell (upped from my early necro experiment)
    Vampire Gaze

As primary skill I use lightning with blizzard for lightning immune creatures. (Before I've respec I've used chain lightning as primary attack and things were even worse.)

___
    The main problem I find with my sorc is that I feel very uneasy playing it. She feels extremely fragile and it also takes forever to do some damage. Sure, I can run pits (lightning immune archers can be (and are) a problem), but to take on – for example – hell Meph, is playing with death and each run requires at least one return to town.

So there it is. My problem on the paper (well, screen)... Can anyone offer me some good advice? About gear, style of play … Anything. Will sure appreciate it. Thanx! ;)
  2. DiabloGame

DiabloGame IncGamers Member

You need this http://diablo.wikia.com/wiki/Infinity_Rune_Word the lvl 12 Conviction aura from this weapon (that your merc wears) it breaks lightning immunities so the pits "light immune archers can be a problem" they no longer light immune with your Merc Aura..and if you get a Griffons Eye http://diablo.wikia.com/wiki/Griffon's_Eye should be better.

With these 2 items you should notice difference alone. I dont have much experiance with single player, but i love light sorcs on Bnet. This is a expensive but kind of standard build.

Griffons Eye + 5/5 Rainbow Facet Light Die
    COH (chain of honor RuneWord) Armor
    Maras Amulet
    Spirit Shield with 35% Faster Cast Rate
    Hoto (heart of the oak runeword)
    WT50 (War Traveller boots)
    MageFist Gloves
    Arachnid mesh Spiderweb Sash
    Rings you can have Soj (stone of jordan or BK Bul kathos)
    And then inventory i use 2xtomb / Keys / Anni / Torch / 5x Light Skiller with life / then fill invent with what ever small charm you want but i leave the end 2 columns of invent free to pick up items

Then Merc: Infinity weapon / Andariels Face Helmet / Fortitude for Armor
    Now this is expensive on B.net and imagine hard to do on Single player but this setup works well.

If you wanted a cheaper Set up you can always try:
    Shako + socket light Rainbow Facet
    Tal Amu
    Tal Armour
    Tal Belt
    Occu + socket light Rainbow Facet
    Spirit is better but guess lidless is ok
    2xsoj or Bk
    Magefist or chanceguard40

then Merc: Infinity Weapon is always a must...it just makes all light immunes go bye bye...and that makes your life so much easier...

CHeap alternative to Fortitude runeworde is Treachery for him good IAS
    Cheap alternative to Andys Face helm is.....Gaze? crown of thieves for leach life? not to sure :)
  3. Dagaz

Dagaz IncGamers Member

Thank you!
    Well, yes; I guess Infinity would really do the trick, but I still have to live to see one Ber let alone two. Playing on single player and not trading (however I do use GoMule), I mostly have to make-do and improvise a bit.

I have another question regarding helmets. My Griffon's Eye is far from perfct (-19/+12), but from what I read everyone is perfering it to Shako. Strictly damage-wise speaking: is Griffon's (-19/+12) really so much (or at all) better than +2 to all skills Shako?

(But, yey! I found my second lightning skiller today :D)
  4. Black Lotus

Black Lotus IncGamers Member

If this is your ONLY source of -res from Griffon, +2skills really suck. Lets think you've just broken lres immunity of monster and it has ~90resistance. With -19lres from Griffon it is gonna have 71. More than 2.5x damage increase. If it has 0 resistance, you've still getting 20% of dmg increase with only -res modifier on one item.
  5. Dagaz

Dagaz IncGamers Member

Thank you! However ... Calculations ... I always needed additional explanations in math :D What exactly do you think with 2.5x damage increase? I mean from 90 to 71 lres ... How does 2.5 fit into this? Thanx.
  6. Namtar

Namtar IncGamers Member

At 90% resistance, your spell is doing only 10% (100-90=10) of its listed damage. At 71% resistance, it's doing 29% (100-71=29) of its listed damage. 29% is 2.9 times greater than 10%.
  7. Dagaz

Dagaz IncGamers Member

Right. Now I get it ;) thanx again
  8. Quingu

Quingu Banned

Light sorc can use crap gear, except one thing: Infinity on merc. Basically, you can use whatever you want and with Infinity you will be doing fine. You can be geared to max, but without Infinity, you will struggle.
  9. Dagaz

Dagaz IncGamers Member

Sorry to necro this half a year old topic.
    While still looking for that second Ber (I didn't play for 4-5 months) I was thinking - What about Cresent Moon? If I understand correctly, the -35 to lightining res will affect also spells, not just melee attacks. Is that correct?
    And second - is it worth going that way? At the time I use Occulus.
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2013
  10. Archone

Archone IncGamers Member

Id use the Griffons instead, if youre using shako there is. (yes I took my time reading everything here) ;)

I believe oculus will not only be better for dmg, but also surviveability.
    But yes, the -35Lres will work for your spells.

One thing though, that no one mentioned. When I go Light sorc, I go all out on the light tree. The points you spent in Blizzard will make your char do alot less dmg.

Why not respecc? Do you really need to be able to deal with Light immunes yourself, why not gear your merc to deal with those?
    And I dont mean infinity, I mean Eth Elite Polearm Insight. And reroll it until you get a high dmg one, dont bother so much with the aura.

Together with changing from a Defiance merc to a Holy freeze merc. (Defense in NM)
    That will allow your merc to be alot safer vs packs of Light Immunes.
    And if you want to help your merc even further, just get an orb/staff on swap with at least +1 to FireBall/meteor/Blizzard/frozenOrb

And! Dealing with Hell Meph was a challenge this ladder aswell. (I play ladder)
    It took some experimentation to make the merc able to survive Meph.
    What I found out in the end was that maxing resistances arent enough, but since lifesteal wont work vs Hell Meph, you really need something extra!
    I gave him a crappy Reapers Toll, and the Decrepify procs were outstandingly good vs meph! (Actually vs all act bosses)
    Not only slowing attack speed but also the frequency at which he casts his spells. By 50% I guess.

You know that Vampires Gaze has Cold dmg on it? That will slow meph even more! ;)

Peace
  11. Dagaz

Dagaz IncGamers Member

Archone, thanx for quick and well written response.
    Yes, since my first post I actually experimented with helms a bit more and found that Griffons works much better than Shako for me.
    I must say you've made a good argument about respec and merc. Even more so, it was only yesterday I found out that merc's Insight was done in - ehem... - normal War Scythe. Can't remember why I put it there, guess I was impatient when I installed RWM last autumn.
    It is very possible that I will go all out on lightning, once I test merc's abbilities a bit more. I use my sorc as it is mostly for pindle runs and would really like to extend her a bit more :)
  12. Archone

Archone IncGamers Member

Let us know how how things turn out! :nod:
  13. Dagaz

Dagaz IncGamers Member

Wow, it's beautiful. Things just melt.
    Running Pindle on p8 is like "Na, Junge; komm mal hier."

I leveled her to l90 in no time yesterday and she's doing cca. 5-22k damage now; only when Pindle is LI I teleport to dungeon entrance and wait for my merc to take him down. (A funny thing - zombies in the garden don't seem to wake if I stand at the entrance to the dungeon/behind the last two pillars.) I have not tried her yet with other bosses (having too much fun). To take him down takes me about the same amount of time as before on p5, perhaps even a bit less.
    As for the respec, I've put a few points more into str, so I could use Monarch. Spirit (I've had 4os Monarch in my stash) turned out 35fcr on the first try. Not that is it important, since it doesn't help sorc's breakpoints, but still - a very nice feeling getting a perfect roll from first try.
    No notable finds as of yesterday, but I've only done like 100 runs.
    All in all ... Thank you for your advice; I didn't even consider to go all out on lightning before having Infinity.
  14. Archone

Archone IncGamers Member

Yay! Im so glad it worked out so well for you! ;)

If you have any more questions, just ask!

Until then! Enjoy the game! :jig:

Peace
  15. zrk

zrk IncGamers Member

Well to be honest the ladder is already flooded with dirt cheap duped runes so infinity isnt exactly hard to get
  16. Cryton

Cryton IncGamers Member

What is the best way of trading for those runes nowadays then? its been a while since i played.
  17. Archone

Archone IncGamers Member

If youd read the posts, youd know he plays SP.

Why ask that here?

But socketables and pgs are pretty easily sold this ladder. And loads of items are overvalued = hr valued aswell.
    It usually takes me 1-3 weeks to get enigma. This ladder it took me 3 days to get CoH and at day 5 I had infinity.
  18. Cryton

Cryton IncGamers Member